E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions
exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263
Re: E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

Tim200 wrote:

tjuster1 wrote:

+1.

This is so true. People have tried to explain it to me, but I just can't grasp the need for PROFESSIONAL-quality video on a hybrid m43 camera. I'll bet 99% of the videos shot with them are viewed once by friends and family and filed away. For this purpose even the video in the PM1 would be satisfactory.

I'll bet 99% of the still shooters here who are pixel peeping and wanting the best sensor are doing nothing more than photographing their family and pets.

indeed and the same is true for 99% of those who do not pixel peep and OK w/ not the best sensor...  if you want a different ration you need to ask a good question - for example whether person ows a drum scanner - now that is typically not the type.

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
drpoop
OP drpoop Regular Member • Posts: 449

Paco 316 wrote:

drpoop wrote:

Come on Oly !!! Is the E-M1 a PRO camera or not? Crippled crappy video options?

From 43rumors:

Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 24Mbps (MOV)
Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 16Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 12Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 8Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) / 30 frames per second (AVI Motion JPEG®)

I know Oly's focus has always been on stills, but what PRO camera in 2013 has such limited and pathetic video quality options?

This is going to hurt sales. no doubt. What a mistake.

From what I get, it will be a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY camera.

You won't be making a CINEMATOGRAPHIC FILM, are you? Unless you are a FILM MAKER, in which case you would be investing on better equipment.

If not, than you will most likely be recording HD video of your cat in a dark room. So, what difference does it make?

GH3 does Photography and Video quite well. Its a leader in both respects. A PRO camera certainly. So why do you think Olympus shouldn't play in the same game?

I won't be making films, but there are indie filmakers who DO use m43, and the GH2 and GH3 to make cinematic films. Google "Upstream Color". A cinematic film shot with a hacked GH2. So are you saying that the GH2 and GH3 are incapable of being professional cameras? I think roughly half this forum would disagree.

As a new parent and an enthusiast photographer, I'd rather have the ability to take high quality images and videos from a device that I invest a significant amount of money. Especially if the competition can do it at the same price point.

I feel like a lot of the vocal anti-video haters in this post are just frustrated that they are "paying for something they're not using". Which makes no sense, but.... Haters gotta hate.

drpoop's gear list:drpoop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,115

drpoop wrote:

I feel like a lot of the vocal anti-video haters in this post are just frustrated that they are "paying for something they're not using". Which makes no sense, but.... Haters gotta hate.

How does 'not wanting to pay for something you dont use' - not make sense? Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Perhaps you are suggesting that if it had better video specs it wouldnt cost more? Well whether it costs Olympus more or not I bet they would charge more. Perhaps those wanting heroic video specs are actually hoping to 'get something for nothing'? Now that doesnt make sense to me.

exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263

honeyiscool wrote: With that killer technology, with the right processing software, they could make one of the best video cameras out there, if only they cared a bit more.

the best ones to do use any form of IS (IBIS/OIS)... in video world IS in body or in lens are for wannabe's.

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

honeyiscool wrote: With that killer technology, with the right processing software, they could make one of the best video cameras out there, if only they cared a bit more.

the best ones to do use any form of IS (IBIS/OIS)... in video world IS in body or in lens are for wannabe's.

I'm glad you think that. I guess the Steadicam should never have been invented, either. A true professional should have been able to follow Rocky up the steps without any help.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Learning in Progress Regular Member • Posts: 361

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am glad to be able to film in 1080p the way it is with my E-M5, but I don't need anything better for video. As long as the picture quality, the lens quality is there... That is all that I am asking for.

rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: Like the song says...

honeyiscool wrote:

HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 8Mbps (MOV).

I am 100% sure that Olympus will have 25p for PAL markets. They're not THAT stupid.

As of now, none of the Olympus cameras is offering 25p. It is as if they were completely ignoring us, we just don't exist.

Happily I'm mainly a stills shooter.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +5 more
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Yes, but...

you'll have to track down someone that actually uses them, and make them pay up!

Then again, he may want you to pay him for the PSAM settings on the dial that he never uses!

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +2 more
Stan Powers
Stan Powers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,648
Video Schmideo! (nt)

-- hide signature --

Too Much Gear - Too Litte Time!
http://picasaweb.google.com/akasrp

Stan Powers's gear list:Stan Powers's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D500 Olympus Air Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +13 more
Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 4,704
i can count on one hand...

how many times i've used a camera to shoot video.

i can count on one hand how many times i shot stills with my video camera.

i can assure OP that in both instances the majority of the off shooting was done purely out of curiosity.

If Oly is listening...You may completely dispense with video mode(s) on still cameras as far as I am concerned.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

aljudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,208
Re: i can count on one hand...

Someone should post a poll to see how many would buy an m43 camera without any video capability. I would not myself, even though most of what I shoot is stills, but video clips are increasing in my proportion of shots...  Al

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer of family mainly

aljudy's gear list:aljudy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +9 more
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229

Advent1sam wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Not me - I buy a camera for stills and would get a video camera if I wanted to shoot movies, so for me the video capabilities are irrelevant

And we should take advice from someone who just assumes a video camera is better for video because it is referred to as a "Video Camera"? Video cameras were surpassed for both video and stills a long time ago by Panasonic Hybrid cameras.

Nope - I wasn't offering advice, merely responding to your rather sweeping statement "Everyone Loses" when what you maybe meant was, "Everyone for whom Video is important loses"?

Which is Olympus huge loss, don't you get it, the cost to add a few things like bitrate, 24/25/50/60p is peanuts and it means they sell lots more cameras which means more money for r&d, more lens investment etc etc. IBIS is fabulous for video now go and unleash its power with decent video.

I don't use video either, but to release a $1500 ostensibly "Pro" body in the day of the GH3 and 5D MkIII that has consumer grade (or less) video features is sure to drive away sales.  Photographers now rightfully expect their Pro IL cameras to be fully capable of being dual purpose at events such as weddings.

If as indicated on 43Rumors, Olympus has seriously misjudged the market for a $1500 body on this.  But then, it's a rumors site, so hopefully wrong.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010

Learning in Progress wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am glad to be able to film in 1080p the way it is with my E-M5, but I don't need anything better for video. As long as the picture quality, the lens quality is there... That is all that I am asking for.

When I read posts like this, I assume that the person in question hasn't actually watched any video taken by an EM5. I am also amused by the people insisting that the EM1 doesn't need "professional" video.

I don't think the EM1 needs pro quality video, though I would greatly appreciate it. I also don't think Olympus video right now is okay. There's something horribly wrong with the current codec that causes the entire image to disintegrate into macroblocked disaster at the drop of a hat. Canon and Sony don't do this despite similar bitrates.

At this point, "not catastrophically terrible" would be an acceptable bar for the E-M1 video output. I am not feeling optimistic though. On the bright side the EM5 video is better than the EP3 in several respects, so progress is something.

I do all my video work on SLT right now, for the record.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
RealPancho
RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,313

Cane wrote:

sdribetahi wrote:

drpoop wrote:

My purpose in posting my disappointment in advance of the announcement is naively hopeful ..... in that, i seem to remember someone pointing out that Oly marketing/development folk sometimes read this specific forum.

I just want people to voice their frustration, I want Olympus to "listen to users" (to quote the tech guy in the leaked video of the EM1) hopefully someone at Olympus hears and an update or a last minute addition of some kind can make it in to the final production model.

Its just such a waste... 5 axis IBIS and poor video options. It makes no sense.

Do you seriously think Oly is going to read your post and quickly call an emergency engineering and marketing meeting to scramble last minute to rethink their specs?

I can see it know (only picture it in Japanese); "OMG, what were we thinking?! This thing is going to go down worse than Mothra against Godzilla if we don't change our video specs". "Wang, I want teams working 24/7 to save us from committing a crime against the buying public worse than our fraud scam". "If we can't give drpoop the video specs he's looking for, I will take the honorable way out. Now where did I put my sword".

Get your Asian names right. WANG is a CHINESE name. Not. JAPANESE. SHEEH!

So olympus can't hire any Chinese employees? That's racist!

Nope. The Chinese and Japanese don't get along. But it's a nationalist thing, not racist. Besides, I think Winston Loo correctly identified the poster's intent.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Only 30p in the E-5, and 60p / 30p E-M5

honeyiscool wrote:

I am 100% sure that Olympus will have 25p for PAL markets. They're not THAT stupid.

Well they don't have 25p in my E-5 or E-M5, so I'm a lot less than 100% sure about that.

Like I said: they don't care too much about videography.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428

JYPfoto wrote:

drpoop wrote:

From 43rumors:

I know Oly's focus has always been on stills, but what PRO camera in 2013 has such limited and pathetic video quality options?

Let's wait until the official announcement. If this is true, then it does lose some of its appeal to me and the GX7 gains some.

Well, if that's true then you might want to consider the GF3, which can be had for 100 bucks used and is hackable to some very high bit rates with spanning and everything ...

Asking Oly to build a video cam is basically pointless ... they don't seem all that interested. Of course, having written that, they will now launch something that appeals to even the most die hard video head lol ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +17 more
bluevellet Senior Member • Posts: 2,747

Learning in Progress wrote:

Same with me.

Though if I had to spell out in details the video specs I want:

- HDTV resolutions

- non-choppy frame rates

- video codec universally accepted (I'm looking at you E-P3)

- reasonable file size

- stabilized video

If a still camera has all that, I'm happy

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon D600 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon 85mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +17 more
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

Abrak wrote:

Perhaps those wanting heroic video specs are actually hoping to 'get something for nothing'? Now that doesnt make sense to me.

$1500 >>>>> nothing.

I think the people really wanting heroic video specs are going elsewhere... meaning less sales to Olympus and for the m43 format in general. That effects all of us: slower product introduction (cameras, lenses, accessories, 3rd party lens development), and in some cases (US retail) lack of product presence/support in general.  All it would take is a tweak of the firmware, such as Canon finally conceded to with the 5D2 (30fps auto -> 29.97fps and manual controls, then eventually 23.976fps was enabled).  The 5-axis IBIS for video (the part so hard, only Oly have ever managed it) is already there.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +25 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,310
Re: E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses - Well NOT everyone.

drpoop wrote:

From 43rumors:

Stills are exactly what a camera is for, and has been for over the generations. Video is no doubt important to some, but for me it is a feature I have never used, and is of no consequence in the decision to buy a camera down the line. Not everyone bases a camera purchase on video options.

It is the specs of the stills that matters.  I purchase a camera to take photographs.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5 +10 more
YouDidntDidYou
YouDidntDidYou Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
so now you can have swear words....

So now you can have swear words in your username and posts on dpreview, sad times indeed....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads