E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions
savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,192
Re: E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

I'm with you- I bought my OMD system for stills- Movies are fine but I rarely use it-My good old E-1 is still chugging along without video-I don't see why this has got into a shouting match about the pros/cons of Olympus video-Some like it and want it - Others don't care - So many responders on this site seem to get carried away with their own self importance -Video on an OMD system is like air conditioning on a Rolls Royce - It is there but if you don't want it don't turn it on - And don't bitch about it-

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,618
Bingo....yes, I'm with you...

Many of us are looking primarily for still camera IQ, and the video scenario is secondary.  The E-M1's video specs are just fine, IMO.  For those who are video freaks...by all means focus on the GX7 or GH3 - that's why we have lots of choices within m/43.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,618
Oh James...talk dirty to me.......

I agree, although it's a given and fact of life that video is an important part of the digital camera, in particular, m43 cameras.  As I replied earlier to another poster in this thread, many of us are primarily still image shooters.  I personally am quite satisfied with the HD specs as given above.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,324
Like the song says...

You can't always get what you want.

drpoop wrote:

Come on Oly !!! Is the E-M1 a PRO camera or not? Crippled crappy video options?

It isn't a 'PRO' video camera.

From 43rumors:

Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 24Mbps (MOV)
Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 16Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 12Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 8Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) / 30 frames per second (AVI Motion JPEG®)

Aside from wanting a 25p option (as I live in a country with 50 Hz power supply) that would be fine for my non-professional videography needs.

I know Oly's focus has always been on stills, but what PRO camera in 2013 has such limited and pathetic video quality options?

They all offer Full HD at 30 / 25 / 24 p. Whether the video is much good is a worthwhile consideration, however. The E-M5 has very limited video capability but the IBIS is better than anything available elsewhere.

As usual, you have to consider the overall picture (moving, in this case) and decide what suitable trade-offs are.

To reiterate: in my view, this is not intended to be a 'PRO' video camera.

This is going to hurt sales. no doubt. What a mistake.

I doubt it will have much effect on sales.

If Olympus wanted to fight over videographers then that's a fairly difficult market and the costs of implementing a very high standard of video (assuming that the sensor in the E-M1 can support it) would be high.

The market they are targeting is high end still photographers who will want to use high end lenses such as the new "PRO" line or the standard FT HG and SHG lenses.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Gary Chv wrote:

You want video within the m4/3 paradigm. Here ya go...

Black Magic Pocket Cinema Cam

I was all ready to line up for one until I saw the white and black orb problem. Very disappointing. Given GH3 is the same price new and you can actually pick one up pretty easily, that's probably still the best choice.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
honeyiscool
Re: Like the song says...

boggis the cat wrote:

You can't always get what you want.

drpoop wrote:

It isn't a 'PRO' video camera.

From 43rumors:

Aside from wanting a 25p option (as I live in a country with 50 Hz power supply) that would be fine for my non-professional videography needs.

I know Oly's focus has always been on stills, but what PRO camera in 2013 has such limited and pathetic video quality options?

They all offer Full HD at 30 / 25 / 24 p. Whether the video is much good is a worthwhile consideration, however. The E-M5 has very limited video capability but the IBIS is better than anything available elsewhere.

As usual, you have to consider the overall picture (moving, in this case) and decide what suitable trade-offs are.

To reiterate: in my view, this is not intended to be a 'PRO' video camera.

I doubt it will have much effect on sales.

If Olympus wanted to fight over videographers then that's a fairly difficult market and the costs of implementing a very high standard of video (assuming that the sensor in the E-M1 can support it) would be high.

The market they are targeting is high end still photographers who will want to use high end lenses such as the new "PRO" line or the standard FT HG and SHG lenses.

I am 100% sure that Olympus will have 25p for PAL markets. They're not THAT stupid.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Paco 316
Paco 316 Senior Member • Posts: 1,134

drpoop wrote:

From 43rumors:

From what I get, it will be a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY camera.

You won't be making a CINEMATOGRAPHIC FILM, are you?  Unless you are a FILM MAKER, in which case you would be investing on better equipment.

If not, than you will most likely be recording HD video of your cat in a dark room. So, what difference does it make?

Paco 316's gear list:Paco 316's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +12 more
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,852

drpoop wrote:

The fact is, m43 cameras shoot high quality video, which is as good/or better than a lot of camcorders, and its a selling point for the majority of enthusiast users. In fact, when mirrorless cams first appeared, the ability to shoot video set them apart from most DSLR's.

Also, please show me said "80%" poll.

The poll was on mu-43.com, and basically proved that the highlighted portion is wrong. Most enthusiasts (in as much as enthusiasts flock to forums like this) in fact do NOT care all that much about video. I understand you do, and that's fine, but there are already great hybrid cameras for you to choose, and personally I'm glad Oly hasn't invested dollars and time into adding video capabilities I simply won't use.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
honeyiscool

Olympus has already spent significant resources on video, though, can't you see that? Otherwise, why did they work so hard to make sensor stabilization available in video in EM-5 and then further tweak that in the E-P5, then add a built-in mic input in E-M1? On the hardware side, they've been doing a lot of things to make video shooters happy, it's just the software side is disappointing. Whether you like it or not, all you stills only shooters are still paying for Olympus to dedicate significant resources to video. All they need is a good codec and maybe a volume meter on the screen or something like that.

Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 3,772

I think it is a 'marketing' stance by Olympus.

Many people are really looking for the 'best possible still photograph camera' for their money. They dont want a still camera that is compromised by its video specs and they dont want to pay for video specs they dont need.

Now I can hear the video enthusiasts response that high quality video specs doesnt cost more to include in a camera. That may or may not be the case but I am willing to bet that if it included these specs Olympus would charge more (look at the Panasonic GH3). More importantly, would Olympus remove the AA filter if it was catering to the video enthusiast.

Essentially if you are basically a stills only type of guy you are inherently drawn to Olympus that appears to make a stills only camera (with video as an afterthought).

honeyiscool

Paco 316 wrote:

drpoop wrote:

From 43rumors:

You won't be making a CINEMATOGRAPHIC FILM, are you? Unless you are a FILM MAKER, in which case you would be investing on better equipment.

If not, than you will most likely be recording HD video of your cat in a dark room. So, what difference does it make?

Thing is, though, right now, Olympus has the IBIS technology that works even better for video than it does for stills. As far as I know, they're the only company with that kind of technology in an interchangeable lens camera. With that killer technology, with the right processing software, they could make one of the best video cameras out there, if only they cared a bit more. That's the thing that frustrates a lot of people, I think. They have the hardware and technology to create the GH3 killer... why couldn't they pay a few experts to increase the video capabilities of the camera?

And if 80% of M43 shooters don't care about video, that's still 20% that do, and that's still a lot of users.

Paco 316 wrote:

drpoop wrote:

From 43rumors:

You won't be making a CINEMATOGRAPHIC FILM, are you? Unless you are a FILM MAKER, in which case you would be investing on better equipment.

+1.

This is so true. People have tried to explain it to me, but I just can't grasp the need for PROFESSIONAL-quality video on a hybrid m43 camera. I'll bet 99% of the videos shot with them are viewed once by friends and family and filed away. For this purpose even the video in the PM1 would be satisfactory.

Now I know there are exceptions, and some people shoot real video on m43 hybrid cameras. But both of the real videographers I know (PROFESSIONAL videographers) shoot with dedicated video cameras, not hybrids.

Unless you do the video equivalent of "making a large print"--the justification for all that IQ for stills shooters--I just don't see why it's so critical to have cutting-edge video capabilities.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
honeyiscool

Abrak wrote:

I think it is a 'marketing' stance by Olympus.

Many people are really looking for the 'best possible still photograph camera' for their money. They dont want a still camera that is compromised by its video specs and they dont want to pay for video specs they dont need.

Now I can hear the video enthusiasts response that high quality video specs doesnt cost more to include in a camera. That may or may not be the case but I am willing to bet that if it included these specs Olympus would charge more (look at the Panasonic GH3). More importantly, would Olympus remove the AA filter if it was catering to the video enthusiast.

Essentially if you are basically a stills only type of guy you are inherently drawn to Olympus that appears to make a stills only camera (with video as an afterthought).

Most of us aren't asking for GH3 specs. I just thought the E-M1 would be at least as competent at video as a G5.

honeyiscool

tjuster1 wrote:
+1.

This is so true. People have tried to explain it to me, but I just can't grasp the need for PROFESSIONAL-quality video on a hybrid m43 camera. I'll bet 99% of the videos shot with them are viewed once by friends and family and filed away. For this purpose even the video in the PM1 would be satisfactory.

Now I know there are exceptions, and some people shoot real video on m43 hybrid cameras. But both of the real videographers I know (PROFESSIONAL videographers) shoot with dedicated video cameras, not hybrids.

Unless you do the video equivalent of "making a large print"--the justification for all that IQ for stills shooters--I just don't see why it's so critical to have cutting-edge video capabilities.

And most of the PROFESSIONAL photographers I know use a Canon 5D. So Olympus should just give up their stills quality, too, huh.

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
So you ar saying

those who don't want anything to do w video should send you a bill for that extra feature they didn't want but had to pay for?

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
honeyiscool
Re: So you ar saying

Art_P wrote:

those who don't want anything to do w video should send you a bill for that extra feature they didn't want but had to pay for?

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

With that line of thinking, I want my money back for the 10 out of 12 ART filters I don't use, and I also want my money back for the JPEG only option.

oklaphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,093

honeyiscool wrote

And most of the PROFESSIONAL photographers I know use a Canon 5D. So Olympus should just give up their stills quality, too, huh.

They do? I thought most real pro's used a 5D as a backup for a 1 series.

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
If you need different specs

then buy a camera that offers what you need.

Not every camera must offer everything to everyone.

If there are other cameras that have the video output you need, why worry about what the E-M-1 has, just don't buy it.   Just pick up a GH/X (or Black Magic) that offers what you want.

Plenty of people shoot mostly stills, only grab the occasional video, and will be more than happy w what the Oly provides.  Me? If I can grab a 1 minute clip to post on FB, that's pretty much all I need.

BTW, have you ever considered it would take more than a codec? Like maybe a different processor chip costing more than the current one?

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Tim200 Regular Member • Posts: 255

tjuster1 wrote:

+1.

I'll bet 99% of the still shooters here who are pixel peeping and wanting the best sensor are doing nothing more than photographing their family and pets.  So, take whatever logic they have for wanting professional quality stills and apply it to video.

Tim200 wrote:

tjuster1 wrote:

+1.

I'll bet 99% of the still shooters here who are pixel peeping and wanting the best sensor are doing nothing more than photographing their family and pets. So, take whatever logic they have for wanting professional quality stills and apply it to video.

Well, I doubt it. But even if you're right, then the conclusion is those people shouldn't be investing in m43 cameras and expensive lenses, because it's vast 'overkill' for what they need. The conclusion wouldn't be that video shooters should do the same illogical thing.

I think maybe I've been coming on too strong. I have nothing against video shooters; I'm just not one, and quite frankly don't care about the video capabilities of cameras. Especially the E-M1, which because of its size, is a camera I have very little interest in!

I do understand that video shooters are frustrated, but thankfully there are lots of good options in the m43 syystem.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads