Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,034
Re: E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

"In addition you will pay for it and you will like it if you ever try it. "

Tried it, (canon DSLR, EM-5)  still doesn't appeal,

no reason it should really, we don't all have to have the same interests

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,868

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Not me - I buy a camera for stills and would get a video camera if I wanted to shoot movies, so for me the video capabilities are irrelevant

And we should take advice from someone who just assumes a video camera is better for video because it is referred to as a "Video Camera"? Video cameras were surpassed for both video and stills a long time ago by Panasonic Hybrid cameras.

Nope - I wasn't offering advice, merely responding to your rather sweeping statement "Everyone Loses" when what you maybe meant was, "Everyone for whom Video is important loses"?

Whether you like it or not you will never be able to buy another "New" camera that does not have video features. They all do and they always will have video. In addition you will pay for it and you will like it if you ever try it.

I'd just love to see a medium format with video...

Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,868

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Not me - I buy a camera for stills and would get a video camera if I wanted to shoot movies, so for me the video capabilities are irrelevant

And we should take advice from someone who just assumes a video camera is better for video because it is referred to as a "Video Camera"? Video cameras were surpassed for both video and stills a long time ago by Panasonic Hybrid cameras.

Depends what you class as video cameras? I'm pretty certain stuff like a C500, epic, or F55 etc still comfortably beat the GH3 for video. I'm not sure what else you'd call them but video cameras.

sdribetahi Contributing Member • Posts: 819

drpoop wrote:

My purpose in posting my disappointment in advance of the announcement is naively hopeful ..... in that, i seem to remember someone pointing out that Oly marketing/development folk sometimes read this specific forum.

I just want people to voice their frustration, I want Olympus to "listen to users" (to quote the tech guy in the leaked video of the EM1) hopefully someone at Olympus hears and an update or a last minute addition of some kind can make it in to the final production model.

Its just such a waste... 5 axis IBIS and poor video options. It makes no sense.

Do you seriously think Oly is going to read your post and quickly call an emergency engineering and marketing meeting to scramble last minute to rethink their specs?

I can see it know (only picture it in Japanese); "OMG, what were we thinking?! This thing is going to go down worse than Mothra against Godzilla if we don't change our video specs". "Wang, I want teams working 24/7 to save us from committing a crime against the buying public worse than our fraud scam". "If we can't give drpoop the video specs he's looking for, I will take the honorable way out. Now where did I put my sword".

amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,908

mpgxsvcd wrote:

honeyiscool wrote:

I think these numbers are hogwash. E-PM2 has higher bitrates than every one of those settings except the 24 Mbps.

Bit rate is not everything. There is a whole lot more to compression than just bit rate. All the GH2 hackers will lead you to believe that all I frame is the only choice you should ever consider. However, all I frame is rarely better unless you are using ridiculous bit rates(ie: 180+ mb/sec) that most memory cards can’t handle.

The GH3 achieves the best compression by using an entirely new compression scheme. It stills conforms to the H.264 specs but it is a much higher level and more efficient scheme. If they use a very efficient compression scheme then 24 mb/sec might be ok. However, even with a super-efficient scheme I still think the 50 mb/sec of the GH3 will be better.

After 50 mb/sec with a very efficient scheme the difference is not as significant.

Lack of 1080, or even 70P/60 is also disappointing, if true.  Crazy, IMO, considering what a boon 5-axis IBIS would be for video if other specs were up to snuff (including a flat color profile, please).

honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

tjuster1 wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

+1.

There are lots of choices in m43 for people who really want a hybrid camera. I'm actually glad Oly isn't wasting any resources trying to compete with the GH3 etc. That stuff would only add to the price of the camera, and I never want to pay for something I don't use.

Wasn't there a recent poll that showed that like 80% of the people in this forum could care less about video? (I might have the forum wrong). I understand that some people do, but I don't think these people are Olympus's primary target owners of this camera.

I don't get it. How does having a bad video codec make a camera cost less than having a good one?

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
drpoop
OP drpoop Regular Member • Posts: 449

sdribetahi wrote:

drpoop wrote:

My purpose in posting my disappointment in advance of the announcement is naively hopeful ..... in that, i seem to remember someone pointing out that Oly marketing/development folk sometimes read this specific forum.

I just want people to voice their frustration, I want Olympus to "listen to users" (to quote the tech guy in the leaked video of the EM1) hopefully someone at Olympus hears and an update or a last minute addition of some kind can make it in to the final production model.

Do you seriously think Oly is going to read your post and quickly call an emergency engineering and marketing meeting to scramble last minute to rethink their specs?

I can see it know (only picture it in Japanese); "OMG, what were we thinking?! This thing is going to go down worse than Mothra against Godzilla if we don't change our video specs". "Wang, I want teams working 24/7 to save us from committing a crime against the buying public worse than our fraud scam". "If we can't give drpoop the video specs he's looking for, I will take the honorable way out. Now where did I put my sword".

Yes. Although, I imagined Japanese names instead of Chinese. Attention to detail is important when visualizing your dreams come true!!!!!!

But, yes, I would like Oly to read this thread. Please Ignore the racist person Oly folk! He's simple.

drpoop's gear list:drpoop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Ag_Paladin Contributing Member • Posts: 683

sdribetahi wrote:

drpoop wrote:

Get your Asian names right. WANG is a CHINESE name. Not. JAPANESE. SHEEH!

Ag_Paladin's gear list:Ag_Paladin's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +6 more
Kwick1 Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: horse manure

James Pilcher wrote:

Olympus should drop the video altogether. Then everyone wins. Stills photographers get the camera they desire and deserve, and video folk have the opportunity to stop whining and go purchase a proper video camera.

I don't use my sports car to haul horse manure, so we shouldn't expect a fine still camera to do it either.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

Agree completely - remove the video for all I care.

-- hide signature --
 Kwick1's gear list:Kwick1's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +3 more
Cane Veteran Member • Posts: 6,900

sdribetahi wrote:

drpoop wrote:

Get your Asian names right. WANG is a CHINESE name. Not. JAPANESE. SHEEH!

So olympus can't hire any Chinese employees? That's racist!

gak44 Regular Member • Posts: 300
Look at the broader picture.

Kwick1 wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

Olympus should drop the video altogether. Then everyone wins. Stills photographers get the camera they desire and deserve, and video folk have the opportunity to stop whining and go purchase a proper video camera.

I don't use my sports car to haul horse manure, so we shouldn't expect a fine still camera to do it either.

Jim Pilcher

Agree completely - remove the video for all I care.

-- hide signature --

Fine if you want and can afford two different camera systems. Most on this board are like me, I suspect. Almost everything I shoot is stills; for the occasional video footage of grandkids or steel head fishing I want video capability built-in. I do not want to haul around another body and set of lenses that rarely will be used.

OTOH, I think that the specs listed above are more than adequate for the overwhelming majority of M43 users.

gak44's gear list:gak44's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
No Swiss Army Camera for me, thank you.

No swivel LCD, no pop up flash...this is a pretty focused tool and that's just the way I want it.

Sorry some are disappointed, but thats why this format is great: Oly and Pana complement rather than

duplicate each other. What would be the point of m4/3, if Oly made another GH-3?

oklaphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,093

Macx wrote:

drpoop wrote:

I agree completely. More and more pro work is videography for the web. This would be such an advantage for Olympus if it offered high quality video

Those video specs are perfectly fine for web use.

GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: horse manure

James Pilcher wrote:

Jim Pilcher

I hope that you noticed the irony here:

what started out as a discussion of video specs of the E-M1 just got pretty crappy!  

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
oklaphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,093

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Not handling wise. If this were the case ENG cameras and smaller pro/prosumer video cams would cease to exist.

I'd rather shoot video with something like this http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-cheap-4k-camcorder-coming-soon-sr2-mid-frame-mystery-cam/  than any dslr or mirrorless.

DSLR's and mirrorless is fine in very controlled situations like cine or commercial stuff. But they aren't in the same league for shooting on the fly.

jack Hoggard
jack Hoggard Contributing Member • Posts: 825

I agree.  It seems that the big Leicas have done alright without video.

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Nexus 7 +1 more
Manfred Bachmann Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

I´m glad they listen to users and build a still camera with highend 5axis for available light photography, and not a video cam which i don´t need. For me the interesting part is, making good pictures and not crappy movies!

manfred

-- hide signature --

Pbase supporter, NPS Austria
http://www.pbase.com/manfred_b/candid

Manfred Bachmann's gear list:Manfred Bachmann's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III +13 more
honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

jack Hoggard wrote:

I agree. It seems that the big Leicas have done alright without video.

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

Except Leica M has video.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
rusticus
rusticus Contributing Member • Posts: 559

Macx wrote:

. . . This would be such an advantage for Olympus if it offered high quality video

what is high quality video?

you can do with 1080/30p 24Mbps high-quality video;)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2071/olympus-em-5-topic#Item_319

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5
Gary Chv Forum Member • Posts: 51

You want video within the m4/3 paradigm. Here ya go...

I'm considering this black magic  pocket cinema camera. Costs less than the new Olt too!

Black Magic Pocket Cinema Cam

Gary Chv's gear list:Gary Chv's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads