E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions
drpoop
drpoop Regular Member • Posts: 449
E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

Come on Oly !!! Is the E-M1 a PRO camera or not? Crippled crappy video options?

From 43rumors:

Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 24Mbps (MOV)
Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 16Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 12Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 8Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) / 30 frames per second (AVI Motion JPEG®)

I know Oly's focus has always been on stills, but what PRO camera in 2013 has such limited and pathetic video quality options?

This is going to hurt sales. no doubt. What a mistake.

drpoop's gear list:drpoop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
JYPfoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Re: E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

drpoop wrote:

Come on Oly !!! Is the E-M1 a PRO camera or not? Crippled crappy video options?

From 43rumors:

Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 24Mbps (MOV)
Full HD 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 30p, 16Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 12Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) 30p, 8Mbps (MOV)
HD 1280 x 720 (16:9) / 30 frames per second (AVI Motion JPEG®)

I know Oly's focus has always been on stills, but what PRO camera in 2013 has such limited and pathetic video quality options?

This is going to hurt sales. no doubt. What a mistake.

Let's wait until the official announcement.  If this is true, then it does lose some of its appeal to me and the GX7 gains some.

Prokyon Forum Member • Posts: 85

would it be at all suitable for video without Anti Aliasing filter?

Prokyon's gear list:Prokyon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
drpoop
OP drpoop Regular Member • Posts: 449

My purpose in posting my disappointment in advance of the announcement is naively hopeful ..... in that, i seem to remember someone pointing out that Oly marketing/development folk sometimes read this specific forum.

I just want people to voice their frustration, I want Olympus to "listen to users" (to quote the tech guy in the leaked video of the EM1) hopefully someone at Olympus hears and an update or a last minute addition of some kind can make it in to the final production model.

Its just such a waste... 5 axis IBIS and poor video options. It makes no sense.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

I think these numbers are hogwash. E-PM2 has higher bitrates than every one of those settings except the 24 Mbps.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Bluephotons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,710

I hope you are right, I for one will be very disappointed if is true.

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094

honeyiscool wrote:

I think these numbers are hogwash. E-PM2 has higher bitrates than every one of those settings except the 24 Mbps.

Bit rate is not everything. There is a whole lot more to compression than just bit rate. All the GH2 hackers will lead you to believe that all I frame is the only choice you should ever consider. However, all I frame is rarely better unless you are using ridiculous bit rates(ie: 180+ mb/sec) that most memory cards can’t handle.

The GH3 achieves the best compression by using an entirely new compression scheme. It stills conforms to the H.264 specs but it is a much higher level and more efficient scheme. If they use a very efficient compression scheme then 24 mb/sec might be ok. However, even with a super-efficient scheme I still think the 50 mb/sec of the GH3 will be better.

After 50 mb/sec with a very efficient scheme the difference is not as significant.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II +5 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,289

Not me - I buy a camera for stills and would get a video camera if I wanted to shoot movies, so for me the video capabilities are irrelevant

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro

Brian Wadie wrote:

Not me - I buy a camera for stills and would get a video camera if I wanted to shoot movies, so for me the video capabilities are irrelevant

And we should take advice from someone who just assumes a video camera is better for video because it is referred to as a "Video Camera"? Video cameras were surpassed for both video and stills a long time ago by Panasonic Hybrid cameras.

Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II +5 more
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,955

Brian Wadie wrote:

+1.

There are lots of choices in m43 for people who really want a hybrid camera. I'm actually glad Oly isn't wasting any resources trying to compete with the GH3 etc. That stuff would only add to the price of the camera, and I never want to pay for something I don't use.

Wasn't there a recent poll that showed that like 80% of the people in this forum could care less about video? (I might have the forum wrong). I understand that some people do, but I don't think these people are Olympus's primary target owners of this camera.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +5 more
Macx Senior Member • Posts: 1,433

drpoop wrote:

My purpose in posting my disappointment in advance of the announcement is naively hopeful ..... in that, i seem to remember someone pointing out that Oly marketing/development folk sometimes read this specific forum.

I just want people to voice their frustration, I want Olympus to "listen to users" (to quote the tech guy in the leaked video of the EM1) hopefully someone at Olympus hears and an update or a last minute addition of some kind can make it in to the final production model.

Its just such a waste... 5 axis IBIS and poor video options. It makes no sense.

I agree completely. More and more pro work is videography for the web. This would be such an advantage for Olympus if it offered high quality video

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,411

Brian Wadie wrote:

Same here. Actually, I use my iPhone for videos, that's the limit of my video foo.

-- hide signature --
drpoop
OP drpoop Regular Member • Posts: 449

tjuster1 wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

+1.

There are lots of choices in m43 for people who really want a hybrid camera. I'm actually glad Oly isn't wasting any resources trying to compete with the GH3 etc. That stuff would only add to the price of the camera, and I never want to pay for something I don't use.

Wasn't there a recent poll that showed that like 80% of the people in this forum could care less about video? (I might have the forum wrong). I understand that some people do, but I don't think these people are Olympus's primary target owners of this camera.

Sorry.. what?  You don't want to pay for what you don't use? that's ridiculous. You use every feature of your current camera? EVERY FEATURE? come on, be honest...

Here's a small list of features I bet you don't use

Underwater settings

Macro Settings

Multiple exposure

half of the Art mode settings

MORE than half of the Scene mode settings

- these features are used by a small portion of shooters, but Oly includes them anyways and passes the bill on to you!!!! oh no! its a travesty! you've paid for something you don't use!

pfffft.

The fact is, m43 cameras shoot high quality video, which is as good/or better than a lot of camcorders, and its a selling point for the majority of enthusiast users. In fact, when mirrorless cams first appeared, the ability to shoot video set them apart from most DSLR's.

Also, please show me said "80%" poll.

James Pilcher Veteran Member • Posts: 9,442
horse manure

Olympus should drop the video altogether. Then everyone wins. Stills photographers get the camera they desire and deserve, and video folk have the opportunity to stop whining and go purchase a proper video camera.

I don't use my sports car to haul horse manure, so we shouldn't expect a fine still camera to do it either.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +9 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,289

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

And we should take advice from someone who just assumes a video camera is better for video because it is referred to as a "Video Camera"? Video cameras were surpassed for both video and stills a long time ago by Panasonic Hybrid cameras.

Nope - I wasn't offering advice, merely responding to your rather sweeping statement "Everyone Loses" when what you maybe meant was, "Everyone for whom Video is important loses"?

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 5,622
Re: horse manure

James Pilcher wrote:

Olympus should drop the video altogether. Then everyone wins. Stills photographers get the camera they desire and deserve, and video folk have the opportunity to stop whining and go purchase a proper video camera.

I don't use my sports car to haul horse manure, so we shouldn't expect a fine still camera to do it either.

Jim Pilcher

So Nikon, Canon, Pana should all drop video, oh yes they are going to do that, get real. Oly need to wake up.

Advent1sam's gear list:Advent1sam's gear list
Fujifilm X-T100
Re: Poppy Cock

James Pilcher wrote:

Jim Pilcher

Video is just a series of still pictures. Everything that applies to stills applies to video. That being said the things that make video good are not necessarily required for stills.
The color profiles and processing power that good 1080p @ 60 FPS video takes would not be required if it were a stills only camera. The cost could theoretically be less if it didn't have video features.

However, they also would lose far more customers by not including video than they would if they include it and charge everyone a little more whether they want it or not.

All of you non video shooting people paid for some of the video features in my camera. I thank you for that. That was mighty generous and I hope you like the videos I make with it.

Re: Poppy Cock

m4/3s would die an instant death if either Olympus or Panasonic dropped video all together in ANY of their newest cameras. The majority of people who have bought an m4/3s camera are willing to pay extra for video or m4/3s would not still exist because all but one of their cameras have ever come without video.

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 5,622

Brian Wadie wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Nope - I wasn't offering advice, merely responding to your rather sweeping statement "Everyone Loses" when what you maybe meant was, "Everyone for whom Video is important loses"?

Which is Olympus huge loss, don't you get it, the cost to add a few things like bitrate, 24/25/50/60p is peanuts and it means they sell lots more cameras which means more money for r&d, more lens investment etc etc. IBIS is fabulous for video now go and unleash its power with decent video.

Advent1sam's gear list:Advent1sam's gear list
Fujifilm X-T100

Brian Wadie wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Whether you like it or not you will never be able to buy another "New" camera that does not have video features. They all do and they always will have video. In addition you will pay for it and you will like it if you ever try it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads