RX100m2 visits Disney World - C&C welcome

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions
Zone IX Regular Member • Posts: 127
RX100m2 visits Disney World - C&C welcome

I've been getting used to the RX100m2 and I think I've adapted to most of the user interface (it's my first Sony in many years), thanks in part to the helpful advice on this forum. Here are some pictures from a recent trip to Disney World. I didn't miss my DSLR at all. C&C welcome.

Building next to Cinderella's castle.

Waterfalls leading up to Beast's Castle

Sunset with a view of Beast's Castle

Canadian cottage

France at EPCOT

Morocco at EPCOT

EPCOT at night

Cadillac at Hollywood Studios

"Volcano" at Rainforest Cafe

Thunder Mountain Railroad

Zone IX's gear list:Zone IX's gear list
Sony RX100 VI
notime Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Re: RX100m2 visits Disney World - C&C welcome

Very nice shots. I enjoy looking at a series of good WDW shots, as the different shots selected often reflect the photographers personality.

I am curious to also see some high-ISO shots (ISO 3200 or ISO6400) dark rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion..just to compare the M2 with pictures others have posted with the original RX100.....but when I visit "the World" dark ride photos are more of a technical equipment test vs an inspiring vista.

hapster
hapster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,471
Great looking thread... This is the exact reason

why I picked up the RX100... we go in a few weeks

hapster's gear list:hapster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +2 more
OP Zone IX Regular Member • Posts: 127

I agree that high ISO shots are a great test of equipment since that's where small sensors start to show themselves.

I didn't get shots of the scenes you mentioned but here are a few high ISO pictures from the trip. In general, I was very happy with the low ISO quality, particularly given that this is a camera that easily fits into a normal pocket. Underexposed high-ISO images get pretty noisy, as is expected (the pirate ride picture is an example, but is still usable).

The main problems I had in the dark were:

(1) I'd forget to switch to shutter priority mode.

(2) I turned off the mode announcement (that presented a textual tutorial for each mode; way too annoying) and don't use the display mode that shows a hundred tiny icons representing different settings. As such, I  couldn't tell what my dial was set to without mentally sequencing through P,A,S,M.

(3) The lens takes a pretty long time to retract. Not sure, but it might be the delay in being able to put the camera away that turned the lens into a fingerprint magnet.

(4) I wish the display adjusted better to ambient light. I had to select the bright-sun mode for outdoor use and remember to turn it off in the dark.

On the positive side, the tilting LCD panel was really useful and the image quality is impressive for a pocketable camera with a zoom lens.

Pirates of the Caribbean: ISO 1000 with a flash that was, of course, totally underpowered

Pirates of the Caribbean: ISO 1250 -2.3 EV 1/25 f/1.8

Center crop of the above picture so you can see the noise and loss of detail. Still, not bad for a pocket camera.

A Pirate's Adventure: ISO 1600 - no flash - 1/25 f/1.8

Splash mountain: ISO 3200 1/100 f/1.8

Main Street, USA: ISO 3200 1/50 f/3.5

Journey of the Little Mermaid ride: ISO 3200 1/160 f/1.8

It's a Small World ride: ISO 3200 1/100 f/1.8

Center crop of the above picture

Sony RX100 VI
JordanAT
JordanAT Forum Member • Posts: 75

Did you ever shoot with the Superior Ai mode, and if you did (1) did it select well for the scene and (2) how long does is take between shots in that mode.

-- hide signature --

Jordan

navydad
navydad Regular Member • Posts: 155

Nice shots, but if there's one thing that annoys me at Disney it's people who use their flash on a dark ride. It's a distraction, ruins your night vision, and is rude to the other guests. Please perform penance by going flashless for the next week.

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 36,198

Zone IX wrote:

I've been getting used to the RX100m2 and I think I've adapted to most of the user interface (it's my first Sony in many years), thanks in part to the helpful advice on this forum. Here are some pictures from a recent trip to Disney World. I didn't miss my DSLR at all. C&C welcome.

Waterfalls leading up to Beast's Castle

Wow I would have thought this was taken in Yosemite!

All a great series of photos

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
NesRes Forum Member • Posts: 93

Nice shots.  I leave on a business trip tomorrow, and hope my rx100m2 arrives before I leave for the airport because I'd love to take it with me and play around.  I'm pretty excited about being able to carry something small in my laptop bag, because there is no way I could lug my DSLR + lens on a business trip where its all carry on.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,601

That's not Disney.  Where is Mickey?

RedFox88 wrote:

That's not Disney. Where is Mickey?

I took some "classic" Disney pictures - the one everyone's obligated to take on such a trip, as well as family photos. What interested me most on this trip, however, was to get images of scenes that don't strike one as quintessentially Disney. Here are a couple of the more typical pictures. I bet anyone who visits Disney World has some almost exactly like this.

BTW, I was surprised by the number of people who were taking pictures with iPads. I understand using a phone (good enough, pocket size, easy to share images) but an iPad is awkwardly big to lug around and doesn't even yield results as good as a phone.

Donald

Cinderella's Castle

Sony RX100 VI

Zone IX wrote:

BTW, I was surprised by the number of people who were taking pictures with iPads. I understand using a phone (good enough, pocket size, easy to share images) but an iPad is awkwardly big to lug around and doesn't even yield results as good as a phone.

Are you sure?  I haven't looked at specs but I can't imagine the image sensor/lens in an ipad to be much different than the iphone.  Nokia has TV commercials making fun of people "trying" to take photos and videos of stage performances with their tablet and phones never being able to get close enough.  This is for their 41 MP phone but they have to be greatly embellishing the results as 41 MP on an small image sensor won't result in very good tight crops.

kazkioken Contributing Member • Posts: 546

Truly beautiful pics...I love how great photography transforms a place into something completely different, thanks so much for sharing

-- hide signature --

navydad wrote:

Nice shots, but if there's one thing that annoys me at Disney it's people who use their flash on a dark ride. It's a distraction, ruins your night vision, and is rude to the other guests. Please perform penance by going flashless for the next week.

I share your annoyance. Some rides feel like a strobe show. In addition to annoying others, the flash usually destroys any lighting effects created by the set designers. I sinned on the pirate ride because the boat got stuck at that point for about two minutes. If I had foresight, I would have used the opportunity to try a long exposure as well.

Sony RX100 VI

kazkioken wrote:

Truly beautiful pics...I love how great photography transforms a place into something completely different, thanks so much for sharing

Thanks!

Sony RX100 VI
ParietalPenguin
ParietalPenguin Senior Member • Posts: 2,955

Nice shots!  You have a good eye!  Makes me want to take my RX100 on a similar outing (too bad school just started & I will have no vacation until winter break!)

-- hide signature --

Karen

ParietalPenguin's gear list:ParietalPenguin's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5

RedFox88 wrote:

Zone IX wrote:

Are you sure? I haven't looked at specs but I can't imagine the image sensor/lens in an ipad to be much different than the iphone. Nokia has TV commercials making fun of people "trying" to take photos and videos of stage performances with their tablet and phones never being able to get close enough. This is for their 41 MP phone but they have to be greatly embellishing the results as 41 MP on an small image sensor won't result in very good tight crops.

It depends on the versions but the iPhone 5 has an 8 MP camera while the 4th gen iPad and iPad mini have a 5 MP camera. The iPhone 5 also supports HDR, panorama mode, and has a flash.

Sony RX100 VI

JordanAT wrote:

Did you ever shoot with the Superior Ai mode, and if you did (1) did it select well for the scene and (2) how long does is take between shots in that mode.

Thus far, I only used the P, A, S, and M modes. I'm still getting comfortable with the UI and limited my settings. I used DRO but haven't performed comparisons to test how it works. I'm also not sure it makes a difference with RAW.

Sony RX100 VI
Gozgah Regular Member • Posts: 106

Zone IX wrote:

...  is awkwardly big to lug around and doesn't even yield results as good as a phone

I've heard from several people who are big fans of iproducts that their camera is "really good".  It's possible that they've just not experienced a high quality sensor or don't care enough to (especially true if you're only using them for social media and not zooming in for finer detail).
Many times, people tell me that I won't be able to take a certain picture (due to lighting conditions, etc.).  I wouldn't be surprised if people weren't knowledgeable enough and think that this was the case.

I think some of those people bring their tablets along because: a) their phone won't last long enough for a whole day, b) use it for gaming while lining up for rides (god forbid you talk to the people around you)

navydad
navydad Regular Member • Posts: 155

Zone IX wrote:

navydad wrote:

I share your annoyance. Some rides feel like a strobe show. In addition to annoying others, the flash usually destroys any lighting effects created by the set designers. I sinned on the pirate ride because the boat got stuck at that point for about two minutes. If I had foresight, I would have used the opportunity to try a long exposure as well.

We'll forgive you this time, but if you sin again you'll be banished to ride Small World over and over again till you beg for mercy

Zone IX wrote:

It depends on the versions but the iPhone 5 has an 8 MP camera while the 4th gen iPad and iPad mini have a 5 MP camera. The iPhone 5 also supports HDR, panorama mode, and has a flash.

Dude, putting 3 more MP into the same size and same quality image sensor doesn't make the camera "better".  Resolution isn't an element of image quality.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads