can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions
hyenadog Contributing Member • Posts: 823
Re: Change your camera buying strategy

MiamiDolphin wrote:

Instead of buying the latest when it comes out and having it be worth ½ price a year later, buy it one year later when it’s an older generation and get it for ½ price. That way instead of being sad you’ll be jumping with joy. And that same camera will take the same pictures a year later.

Theres no issue buying new if you keep cameras to use for a few yrs rather than buying the next model letter every yr.

Lets face it modern cameras life and performance depends on how they are treated and there are a lot of "rough buggers" that buy cameras as sell them on having been knocked around and a repair job now is likely the cost of what you paid for the camera body again

I'd rather buy new (or refurb) with a 1 yr comprehensive Sony Warranty (which I have had to use to get a AF working PZ kit lens incidently) at least I know its been treated with care and will likely last trouble free.

Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,779
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Have to agree that they aren't worth much used and Sony cameras loose their value quicker than some other brands.

I have a 5n with two lenses listed on the "for sale & wanted" forum that is like new that I can't seem to give away.

I've even said I'd trade it even for a decent compact camera (wife wants something smaller to carry in her purse) and the only offers I've had were for a couple of used point & shoot cameras that cost around $300.00 when they were new.

It's no big deal but it is a little surprising that people would rather buy a new entry level camera than a less expensive mid-level camera with two lenses.

Like I said, it's not a big deal; it's just the way things are.

Marla2008
Marla2008 Senior Member • Posts: 2,419

Given the fast advancing pace of technology, you really can't buy a digital camera with any "investment" concept in mind. You need to know beforehand that this is going to happen, and it's not even related to Sony. Here in France people are struggling to sell their Fuji XE-1's kits for over 1050€ mint and with extentded warranties, but said kit sells for 990€ NEW if you know the right places to shop !!

Any digicam bought new will take a very steep hit in value in the following year. The more you go up the price ladder, the less this is true. Pro models have longer life cycles hence retain value better. But once the replacement model has been issued, things go downhill FAST. It's mind boggling to me that I can easily grab a Canon 1D MkIIn now for about 600€ !! Or buy a Nikon D700 for 990€...

One thing we often fail to realize though, is that our depreciated gear still offers the exact same level of technology and delivers the same results than the day we first bought it.

Personally I almost always buy used, minty with warranty remainder, and I've found it the best way to purchase cameras. Otherwise skip a generation and you'll be able to grab amazing deals. I'm considering adding a 5N to my bag now but if I do I'll hunt one down to 250€, I wouln't pay a penny more.

So while I understand you can be upset, there is no real need to be (unless of course you'd be forced to part with your 5R in need of urgent cash, in which case you'd take a horrible and massive hit). Otherwise you can just go on shooting and enjoying your excellent camera. I know whenever Sony finally gets around to upgrading its NEX flagship, my 7 will remain the amazing imaging machine it's always been.

-- hide signature --
parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

The 5T launch really is a mystery... if there is a firmware upgrade in the 5T then Sony clearly aren't going to share it (otherwise the recent firmware release would have been better), which wil (or at least should)l annoy existing 5R owners

The 5T itself offers no real upgrade over the 5R (except maybe firmware) but effectively devalues the camera that 5R owners have in exactly the way you mention

Therefore Sony is deliberately annoying existing owners with the release of this product, without offering any benefits to new customers with this latest model.  At the same time it is more than two years since the NEX-7 was released and there is still no sign of a successor, unless the A7000 is planned to replace it... so NEX-7 owners are frustrated by a lack of progress in their sector

Expecting not to lose on Electronics purchases is being rather 'optimistic' (one might say delusional) but previous NEX releases each 12 months have offered real changes to spec (5->5N->5R).  The 5T offers nothing and just creates issues.  Very poor on Sony's part

I think we can conclude that Sony cares little for their existing customers and is now out and actively searching for new and different ones.  This is a foolish strategy

parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,786

Sir Punk wrote:

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

Buy photography gear to use, not for what it's resale value might be in one, two or more years.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
nevercat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

parallaxproblem wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

The 5T launch really is a mystery... if there is a firmware upgrade in the 5T then Sony clearly aren't going to share it (otherwise the recent firmware release would have been better), which wil (or at least should)l annoy existing 5R owners

Well the upgrade on the 5t is minimal, but there is a hardware upgrade, the NFC it is called I believe. It is a small update but it is one. Not one that will any user go and update their cameras, but it is one that is nice for someone who buys a new camera and has an other device that shares this option.

The 5T itself offers no real upgrade over the 5R (except maybe firmware) but effectively devalues the camera that 5R owners have in exactly the way you mention

Well read what I said above, not only firmware! And the orice of any digital camera is dropping after an half year or year, look at any brand, even when no succcesor cames out. I think the 5t is launched to promote that new function Sony (and I believe Samsung) did put in some of their phones.

Therefore Sony is deliberately annoying existing owners with the release of this product, without offering any benefits to new customers with this latest model. At the same time it is more than two years since the NEX-7 was released and there is still no sign of a successor, unless the A7000 is planned to replace it... so NEX-7 owners are frustrated by a lack of progress in their sector

Sorry I'm confused, when the Nex 5t comes out it is to annoy the people and when the Nex 7 does not come with a new camera it is annoying too...

I wonder how manny people buy a camera that cists over $1000, 00 and buy the succesor just a year later... I own a Nex 5 and it still takes great puctures, I'm only updating when something comes out that is a lot better then the camera I own...By the way, the cameras for the advanced users are always slower with updates then the entry level cameras. So for the Nex7x it is to be expected to come out later.

Expecting not to lose on Electronics purchases is being rather 'optimistic' (one might say delusional) but previous NEX releases each 12 months have offered real changes to spec (5->5N->5R). The 5T offers nothing and just creates issues. Very poor on Sony's part

Well the 5t is not for upgraders from the 5r, but new owners may like the xamera too. Look at Canon with their very poor differences between the old and the new version of their cameras...

I think we can conclude that Sony cares little for their existing customers and is now out and actively searching for new and different ones. This is a foolish strategy

I think Sony caresm look at the As FW updates they send out for the A700,, the A900, the Nex 5 etc. Sony  offer a (simple) FW update to the Nex 5r and Nex6, to add new lenses. Would they have done that if they did not care? Then they would have said that only the Nex 5t will support those new lenses...

I wonder why people are so paranoia when something does not happen at the moment they expected it to happen.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 26,981

GodSpeaks wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

Buy photography gear to use, not for what it's resale value might be in one, two or more years.

True enough, God Speaks, where 'ya been?

I only paid $299 for my 5R also in January,  body only. It was a tied-down demo. on a shelf at Future Shop but somebody had liberated the lens. So I got it half-price.

So just like anything else, shop price and you won't be sorry.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
nevercat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

hyenadog wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

why are you so upset about it ? .. there is zero material difference between the 5T and 5R ? if you got your money back and bought a 5T you would see no material differncew in any way .. wait a few weeks until the stocks have cleared and the 5R prices will likely go back up

Good points, the 5t is only avery small update, I believe only the NFC is realy new on this camera, nothing more then that.

If you want to be pi**ed off about the NEX then get pi**ed off about the crap range of bright tele lenses available for the NEX/NEXinaDSLRskin (well actually none) .. never mind reasonably priced or with OIS

Well, when you read the roadmap Sony is following closely, you will see that a k ens like that is planned for this year, so wait4 month and you will see if their is something to ve happy about.

teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

RobDJW wrote:

The best investment is to buy good lenses, they will keep their value. A camerabody improves every year in this day of technology. Fwiw.

A nice cliché... but lenses are not an investment unless you never sell them and/or make money off the images they produce. I bought a Zeiss 24mm e-mount for $1100 + tax (if applicable) 12 months ago. If I'm lucky, today I could get ~ $825 less fees of ~$80.

Over a 32% / $355 loss in 12 months surely is not an investment.  It is just that you do not feel bad/jealous because a better 24mm e-mount lens is not launched every year compelling you either to upgrade at a loss or feel like you are missing out.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 III
teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

captura wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

True enough, God Speaks, where 'ya been?

I only paid $299 for my 5R also in January, body only. It was a tied-down demo. on a shelf at Future Shop but somebody had liberated the lens. So I got it half-price.

So just like anything else, shop price and you won't be sorry.

Steve

Yup, many people buy 'slightly used' cars for the same reason.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 III
srsailor Junior Member • Posts: 29

5T release is most likely related to Sony Smartwatch 2 release. You pair them with NFC. It can be then used as remote trigger and viewfinder.

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,772
latest and greatest?

So, the million dollar question is, are you going to buy used next time, and get a product that's one or two years old for pennies?

Nah, that's what I thought. You're going to buy new again, because we all want the latest and greatest. Basically cake and eat it. I want the latest, don't want it's value to drop, but don't consider old technology worth anything. A mass of contradictions.

Puddleglum
Puddleglum Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: latest and greatest?

tko wrote:

So, the million dollar question is, are you going to buy used next time, and get a product that's one or two years old for pennies?

Nah, that's what I thought. You're going to buy new again, because we all want the latest and greatest. Basically cake and eat it. I want the latest, don't want it's value to drop, but don't consider old technology worth anything. A mass of contradictions.

Boom. There it is.

Cailean Gallimore Veteran Member • Posts: 6,083

Sir Punk wrote:

I'll give you $50 for it out of the goodness of my heart, and I'm cutting my own throat by offering you that. How much do you want for that old car?

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 22,959

teseg wrote:

RobDJW wrote:

The best investment is to buy good lenses, they will keep their value. A camerabody improves every year in this day of technology. Fwiw.

A nice cliché... but lenses are not an investment unless you never sell them and/or make money off the images they produce. I bought a Zeiss 24mm e-mount for $1100 + tax (if applicable) 12 months ago. If I'm lucky, today I could get ~ $825 less fees of ~$80.

Over a 32% / $355 loss in 12 months surely is not an investment. It is just that you do not feel bad/jealous because a better 24mm e-mount lens is not launched every year compelling you either to upgrade at a loss or feel like you are missing out.

The lenses I bought 20 or 30 years ago are fetching much more than I paid for them on eBay.

You have to wait for some inflation to develop.

A good second-hand book priced today at £15 or £20 arrives still with its original price sticker saying £2.50. But a hardback book that was selling well a year ago could be around on Amazon for only a penny. Give it twenty years and most copies will be in landfill - now the price will have shot up.

Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

I'll give you $50 for it out of the goodness of my heart, and I'm cutting my own throat by offering you that. How much do you want for that old car?

$51.  I'll give 51.

New category.

Dpreview auctions.  Started here.  I wanna cut !!!

Grant.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901

Sir Punk wrote:

If you bought at Release Price MSRP, you paid too much.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,732

This is why you wait. I want a NEX 6 but I am waiting until they get down to under $400 for the body. Only a matter of time as I'm sure Sony will release another camera with a built in EVF

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901

Why havnt the Nex7's lost half their value yet?

(I want a 7, because it has the old flash mount)

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Hendrick B New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Change your camera buying strategy

MiamiDolphin wrote:

Instead of buying the latest when it comes out and having it be worth ½ price a year later, buy it one year later when it’s an older generation and get it for ½ price. That way instead of being sad you’ll be jumping with joy. And that same camera will take the same pictures a year later.

That's exactly what I do to reduce the cost of ownership.

Hendrick B's gear list:Hendrick B's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads