can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions
Sir Punk Regular Member • Posts: 428
can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

That's why I don't keep changing cameras ( or my mind ). Most purchases are not investments !  If a tool does its job & was considered good value at the time of purchase then that's about all you can expect.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

uhligfd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,106

And in four years or so, it will be time to get rid of the camera, too; too old, not competitive in its technique with the newest newest cameras of the moment then, just as your computer will (once again) be deadly outdated then. How about your car? And your partner, the younger ones always look so much more attractive to you, right? (Shame on you then.)

But in between, what have your pictures done for you? Gotten worse since day one with the 5R, I assume, as you think your camera has lost its value, become worse etc.

But this does not make any sense: your camera takes as good pictures as it did when you first bought it. And I hope you take much better pics with it now after learning and developing your craft. I would think your camera has indeed risen in in value for you, producing highly valued pics by now. And it can do so for a few years to come.

Do not look at $ stickers only, that is a narrow, 1-dimensinal view of the greedy, the poor in mind.

Good luck judging your gear by the use you get and the beauty you can create with it!

RobDJW Contributing Member • Posts: 508

The best investment is to buy good lenses, they will keep their value. A camerabody improves every year in this day of technology. Fwiw.

RobDJW's gear list:RobDJW's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony RX100 IV Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
hyenadog Contributing Member • Posts: 823

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

why are you so upset about it ? .. there is zero material difference between the 5T and 5R ? if you got your money back and bought a 5T you would see no material differncew in any way .. wait a few weeks until the stocks have cleared and the 5R prices will likely go back up

If you want to be pi**ed off about the NEX then get pi**ed off about the crap range of bright tele lenses available for the NEX/NEXinaDSLRskin (well actually none) .. never mind reasonably priced or with OIS

OP Sir Punk Regular Member • Posts: 428

I don't change my cameras often, every 3-4 years. But regardless of all these observation you made, I wanted to discuss the plunge in value, and not include any philosophical discussion.

A clear example is how apple laptops hold their value quite well or some japanese cars. Do you think Apple customers were happy when they discontinued the ipad 3 after just a few months? It's a similar thing with the mid-range NEX.

Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

If you bought the camera with resale in mind, you made a big mistake. Not even digital Leicas hold value a year out any more.

Has its imaging degraded 50%? Do you notice that the images you made in January are now fading?

Or are you really bummed out that you can't sell the camera very easily to some unsuspecting newbie for close to what you paid for it?

Craig's List here in Boston is filled with people trying to make their current and now-aging NEX models sound like cutting edge.

No NEX-6s. No NEX-7s. Just 3s and 5s. What does that tell you about what any camera without a viewfinder is worth used? You don't even find used 6s and 7s much on eBay.

Technology is turning over rapidly. Some iPad owners are similarly angered by Apple for coming out with new models faster than one per year. But you know who are least angry? The ones who bought 32gb and 64gb ones. And those who never bought them with the idea of stiffing a newbie.

The forum is full of posters who want more and Sony is responding. What they sold in January still works fine. And likely will for 10 years or more.

And yes, I own a iPad 3 64gb, ordered on the announcement day, and it works perfectly today. And my 2010 MacBook Pro, several versions back, works perfectly, too. In fact, my son-in-law uses my iPad 1 every day as a presentation device in his architectural business.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

Sir Punk wrote:

Stocks, bonds, certificates are investments. Cars, cameras, toys aren't.

I paid $500 for a "used" 5R from Henry's before you bought yours. They are still worth more than $300. Say I got $350-400. I still wouldn't be taking a bath.

I've already had what I consider good value from the one I got.

Grant.

Rainy day looking out.

Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,893

Never buy a new camera, let someone else take the depreciation hit! 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
Jokica
Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,395

You are right, I agree.

Maybe it is not bad idea to buy camera after end of production, when the prices go down. Than again, maybe new model is too attractive, you have to decide.

I was more lucky, I guess.

I have paid for NEX-5N 650$ with SEl1855 in May 2012.

Now, it cost even more.

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 23,010

I would assume my 5N to be worth nothing. I didn't buy it to resell it, but to use.

The important question is how much the camera costs per picture. If you buy a camera for $600 and shoot only 6000 photos on it, they cost 10c each. If you shoot 60,000 they cost 1c each.

If you shoot film, they cost more.

Equipment is not a financial investment. It is bought so you can do something with it, and it depreciates over (typically) three or four years.

steelydom Forum Member • Posts: 50

Apple is one of those tech anomalies where there products still have great resale value - I sold a 6yr macbook (with a non-functioning battery) for 65% of what I paid for it - couldn't believe my luck.

As someone who purchased a 5R the day the 5T was announced, I'm on the happy end of this argument. FWIW, I've never purchased any gadget that was 'previous' generation but I waited for the announcement and the 5T had nothing that I wanted or needed. Also, on Amazon UK, the 5R has already gone up £35 since I brought it so stocks are probably going down quick enough.

As soon as you buy any gadget its 'out-of-date' even though it is still just as capable as it was on launch...

steelydom's gear list:steelydom's gear list
NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more

Mel Snyder wrote:

If you bought the camera with resale in mind, you made a big mistake. Not even digital Leicas hold value a year out any more.

Has its imaging degraded 50%? Do you notice that the images you made in January are now fading?

Or are you really bummed out that you can't sell the camera very easily to some unsuspecting newbie for close to what you paid for it?

Craig's List here in Boston is filled with people trying to make their current and now-aging NEX models sound like cutting edge.

No NEX-6s. No NEX-7s. Just 3s and 5s. What does that tell you about what any camera without a viewfinder is worth used? You don't even find used 6s and 7s much on eBay.

Technology is turning over rapidly. Some iPad owners are similarly angered by Apple for coming out with new models faster than one per year. But you know who are least angry? The ones who bought 32gb and 64gb ones. And those who never bought them with the idea of stiffing a newbie.

The forum is full of posters who want more and Sony is responding. What they sold in January still works fine. And likely will for 10 years or more.

And yes, I own a iPad 3 64gb, ordered on the announcement day, and it works perfectly today. And my 2010 MacBook Pro, several versions back, works perfectly, too. In fact, my son-in-law uses my iPad 1 every day as a presentation device in his architectural business.

Mel,

the complexity here :

NEX (and mirrorless in general) sells nothing in the USA hence the NEXinaDSLR skin so probably craigs list is not a good base for NEX resale prices in general

in the UK (NEX sells well) for example there has been little decrease in 5R/3N new street  price (which are big sellers)

I have a Nikon dslr/lenses and I got a 5R (without viewfinder) and had zero interest in a viewfinder after I tested how bright and clear the screen was in bright sunlight (in sunny screen option) - in a camera this size I love to shoot from the hip  video or medium format style ;-))  .. one of the reasons i like the 5R  so much

So i would challenge the "noone wants one with a viewfinder"  .. i think the issue is more of the 6 and 7 sell so few that they are a rarity and that keeps their price up .. a bit like E mount lenses - noone buys them so the prices stay up

Ben Forum Member • Posts: 54

Cameras today are merely computers that take photos. Most are made of plastic and metal and rarely have any intrinsic value of their own. It's the photos they take that have value. It doesn't help that manufacturers discontinue models in favor of new ones with better features. I paid $700 for my 5N 2 years ago and I'm not sorry for the purchase as it takes great photos... Even though I can buy one on EBay for less than $300. It's not like the old days when cameras were valued for their look and build beyond their photo capabilities. Old Leicas are the exception

Mel Snyder
Suggestion: Balance your camera purchase with a REAL investment

A suggestion: When you buy your next camera, buy an ETF of equal value - say, IHE (iShares Dow Jones US Pharmaceutical Company Index). Had you bought seven shares for $90 a share then, you would be up 13% and have $406

If you bought Tesla Motors, you would be up 150%.

Then you can be freed of the phony concept that your camera has any "investment" value, and generate the cash to pay for your cameras.

And if you had the enterprise to use your camera to make some money, all this would be irrelevant. It's not tough. Walk into any business with a professional-quality print of the front of their business and suggest they buy it for their Yelp listing. Offer it digitally on the spot on a cheap thumb drive. You could even market by email with watermarked images.  If one out of 10 say yes, you'll no longer worry about what your gear costs.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more

Sonyshine wrote:

I would disagree strongly with you there .. never buy a used complex camera without iron clad  warranty is what I would say now everything is disposable and electronic .. something goes wrong with your secondhand nex and it will cost you more than you probably paid for it to repair

The other issue of course is that wtih these fragile modern electronic cameras which are very sensitive to rough handling and environment (eg damp/rain) .. you dont know how its been treated .. i'd rather buy it new and know my careful ownership will likely make it last without fault.

Mel Snyder

hyenadog wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Mel,

the complexity here :

NEX (and mirrorless in general) sells nothing in the USA hence the NEXinaDSLR skin so probably craigs list is not a good base for NEX resale prices in general

in the UK (NEX sells well) for example there has been little decrease in 5R/3N new street price (which are big sellers)

I have a Nikon dslr/lenses and I got a 5R (without viewfinder) and had zero interest in a viewfinder after I tested how bright and clear the screen was in bright sunlight (in sunny screen option) - in a camera this size I love to shoot from the hip video or medium format style ;-)) .. one of the reasons i like the 5R so much

So i would challenge the "noone wants one with a viewfinder" .. i think the issue is more of the 6 and 7 sell so few that they are a rarity and that keeps their price up .. a bit like E mount lenses - noone buys them so the prices stay up

Excellent points. I concede on viewfinders.

I tend to see the issue through American eyes, which are now tired of looking at ground glass or any electronic equivalents (too many years of shooting twin-lens reflex!) I wanted an EVF version of my old M4P, and Sony delivered one.

Usually, however, low demand = dropping prices. Like what you call petrol.

Re: Suggestion: Balance your camera purchase with a REAL investment

Mel Snyder wrote:

A suggestion: When you buy your next camera, buy an ETF of equal value - say, IHE (iShares Dow Jones US Pharmaceutical Company Index). Had you bought seven shares for $90 a share then, you would be up 13% and have $406

If you bought Tesla Motors, you would be up 150%.

Then you can be freed of the phony concept that your camera has any "investment" value, and generate the cash to pay for your cameras.

And if you had the enterprise to use your camera to make some money, all this would be irrelevant. It's not tough. Walk into any business with a professional-quality print of the front of their business and suggest they buy it for their Yelp listing. Offer it digitally on the spot on a cheap thumb drive. You could even market by email with watermarked images. If one out of 10 say yes, you'll no longer worry about what your gear costs.

Another point -  the 5T (like hopefully the Zeiss Price lenses and the ridiculous number of bulky heavy expensive zooms for E-mount) are the last of an old "fanboy" Sony management .. so no longer a new model every year just for the sake of it (which is what the 5T is. We are told  firmware updates instead which makes far more sense)

Mel Snyder

hyenadog wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

I would disagree strongly with you there .. never buy a used complex camera without iron clad warranty is what I would say now everything is disposable and electronic .. something goes wrong with your secondhand nex and it will cost you more than you probably paid for it to repair

The other issue of course is that wtih these fragile modern electronic cameras which are very sensitive to rough handling and environment (eg damp/rain) .. you dont know how its been treated .. i'd rather buy it new and know my careful ownership will likely make it last without fault.

Very much agree. There's a reason why still-current models of all products show up on the used market - cars and cameras alike. Lemons.

MiamiDolphin Contributing Member • Posts: 581
Change your camera buying strategy

Instead of buying the latest when it comes out and having it be worth ½ price a year later, buy it one year later when it’s an older generation and get it for ½ price. That way instead of being sad you’ll be jumping with joy. And that same camera will take the same pictures a year later.

MiamiDolphin's gear list:MiamiDolphin's gear list
Sony RX100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads