X-Pro1 Dust under screen glass

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions
sebuksa New Member • Posts: 17
X-Pro1 Dust under screen glass

Just received my X-Pro 1 today and it has a dust spot under the LCD glass. Has anyone else had this happen?

Wheatfield
Wheatfield Veteran Member • Posts: 6,297
Re: X-Pro1 Dust under screen glass

I've never bothered to look that closely, and frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. Eventually, you are going to get dust in your camera. It will happen sooner or later, probably sooner.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

DDWD10
DDWD10 Contributing Member • Posts: 859

It would bug me as well, but having owned so many cameras, I know it will happen sooner or later.  Every camera I've owned has eventually developed this.

DDWD10's gear list:DDWD10's gear list
Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic S1 Pentax 03 Fish-Eye Pentax 01 Standard Prime +9 more
e268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,677

I don't see how dust gets into lcd glass.  I would think it is sealed, unless the seal is broken and in which case it is a manufacturing defect.  Next thing is moisture will get in between the lcd and the glass.  I have seen cheapy point and shoot camera with a big round moisture spot which may dry out and reappear in moist environments.  If it is still in warranty, I'll send it back.

e268's gear list:e268's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,139

e268 wrote:

I don't see how dust gets into lcd glass. I would think it is sealed, unless the seal is broken and in which case it is a manufacturing defect. Next thing is moisture will get in between the lcd and the glass. I have seen cheapy point and shoot camera with a big round moisture spot which may dry out and reappear in moist environments. If it is still in warranty, I'll send it back.

I agree. No way should there be dust in the LCD.

Wish you could show some pictures of what you're talking about because I've never seen dust in an LCD.

OP sebuksa New Member • Posts: 17

Thanks everyone. I contacted the retailer and they have collected the camera. The dust/spot is on the back LCD between the glass and the LCD screen. They think it might be a dead pixel.

Thanks again, will let you know what they say.

-- hide signature --

www.myxseries.wordpress.com

Ed B

sebuksa wrote:

Thanks everyone. I contacted the retailer and they have collected the camera. The dust/spot is on the back LCD between the glass and the LCD screen. They think it might be a dead pixel.

Thanks again, will let you know what they say.

Dead pixel sounds much more reasonable than dust.

Good luck.

Re: X-Pro1 dead pixels

The replacement has arrived and it has even more dead pixels than the last. Anyone else experienced this?

Ed B

sebuksa wrote:

The replacement has arrived and it has even more dead pixels than the last. Anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like you're having quite a bit of trouble.

I've read on this forum where other people have also had problems and there is one guy who claims he had to send back four X-E1 cameras before he got one with no defects.

Not sure what's going on with these people and their purchases but I've never really had a problem with Fuji or any other manufacturer.

The only time I purchased a new camera that was defective was about six years ago and I'm pretty sure that was actually a camera that had been used and returned by someone and then sold to me as new.

I got a refund and never ordered from that retailer again.

I've never had any other problems and I've gone through quite a few cameras in more years than I like to admit.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I bought my X-E1, from a brick & mortar store, just a few weeks after the X-E1s were originally available. It was a camera that had been returned and was clearly marked, on the box, as "used".

Not sure why it was a return but the retailer was honest and sold it to me at a very low (used) price.

Never had any problems with the camera.

Hope you get things worked out but if I were you I'd simply get a refund and order a new camera from somewhere else.

baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,492

No just return it!

Mine is 1 year old 10000 shots no one problem!

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
shawnfb Contributing Member • Posts: 612

sebuksa wrote:

Just received my X-Pro 1 today and it has a dust spot under the LCD glass. Has anyone else had this happen?

i had dust under an LCD .. I forget the camera.. I actually took a shop vac  and with hand control... sucked it out from the sides....:) it worked

I do not condone or recommend anything I say ..I am not responsible for any damage to your camera... that said... My shop vac worked...:)

-- hide signature --

shawn

newellj Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

IIRC, the Leica M8s were notorious for developing a "coffee cup ring" on the rear LCDs.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 VA Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Elusivesouls Regular Member • Posts: 124

Ed B wrote:

sebuksa wrote:

I've read on this forum where other people have also had problems and there is one guy who claims he had to send back four X-E1 cameras before he got one with no defects.

Not sure what's going on with these people and their purchases but I've never really had a problem with Fuji or any other manufacturer.

The only time I purchased a new camera that was defective was about six years ago and I'm pretty sure that was actually a camera that had been used and returned by someone and then sold to me as new.

I've never had any other problems and I've gone through quite a few cameras in more years than I like to admit.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I bought my X-E1, from a brick & mortar store, just a few weeks after the X-E1s were originally available. It was a camera that had been returned and was clearly marked, on the box, as "used".

Not sure why it was a return but the retailer was honest and sold it to me at a very low (used) price.

Hope you get things worked out but if I were you I'd simply get a refund and order a new camera from somewhere else.

Yeah, that guy was me.   I had to go through four X-E1s before I got one that worked.  I ordered from two different retailers and the only difference on the last one I got (which I kept cause it worked without any issues) was that on that one I opted to pay more and use FedEx rather than UPS.

I doubt that's the real reason it arrived without issue and that it's actually that it was only a matter of time before I found one that was 100% good to go.

The 1st one I ordered from BH had a dead pixel.  No big issue but it was my first Fuji so I asked for a return.  No problems, handled amazingly.

The 2nd one arrived and had no dead pixels.  This one actually had an issue where you could take pictures with or without flash and it was fine.  However, once you setup a custom mode, and then used the flash, it would reboot and you could no longer change settings.  You had to reset the entire camera and it would do this over and over again.  I called Fuji and they confirmed it was a major issue and should be replaced.  BH handled this amazingly as well.

The 3rd one I ordered from Amazon and it was fine.  No issues.  However, it was obvious that it had been used and sold to me as new.  I contacted Amazon and opted to return it for a refund.  So technically, I had to get 3 cameras to get one that worked fine.

The 4th one I again went back to BH photo and this one arrived with dead spots on the sensor.  I recall it being two spots that showed up on the LCD AND the EVF.  I contacted BH again and explained the situation, they were cool about it, and replaced this one as well.

The 5th one arrived and has been excellent without issue.  *Fingers crossed*.

One a separate note, I also ordered and received an X100S (using FedEx again) and it arrived without issue but that one was from Samys Camera.

So some times you get in a rut but yes, pixel issues seem to be a problem with the current batch of Fuji X-E1s.

Elusivesouls's gear list:Elusivesouls's gear list
Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8

Ed B wrote:

sebuksa wrote:

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Yeah, that guy was me.   I had to go through four X-E1s before I got one that worked.  I ordered from two different retailers and the only difference on the last one I got (which I kept cause it worked without any issues) was that on that one I opted to pay more and use FedEx rather than UPS.

I doubt that's the real reason it arrived without issue and that it's actually that it was only a matter of time before I found one that was 100% good to go.

The 1st one I ordered from BH had a dead pixel.  No big issue but it was my first Fuji so I asked for a return.  No problems, handled amazingly.

The 2nd one arrived and had no dead pixels.  This one actually had an issue where you could take pictures with or without flash and it was fine.  However, once you setup a custom mode, and then used the flash, it would reboot and you could no longer change settings.  You had to reset the entire camera and it would do this over and over again.  I called Fuji and they confirmed it was a major issue and should be replaced.  BH handled this amazingly as well.

The 3rd one I ordered from Amazon and it was fine.  No issues.  However, it was obvious that it had been used and sold to me as new.  I contacted Amazon and opted to return it for a refund.  So technically, I had to get 3 cameras to get one that worked fine.

The 4th one I again went back to BH photo and this one arrived with dead spots on the sensor.  I recall it being two spots that showed up on the LCD AND the EVF.  I contacted BH again and explained the situation, they were cool about it, and replaced this one as well.

The 5th one arrived and has been excellent without issue.  *Fingers crossed*.

One a separate note, I also ordered and received an X100S (using FedEx again) and it arrived without issue but that one was from Samys Camera.

So some times you get in a rut but yes, pixel issues seem to be a problem with the current batch of Fuji X-E1s.

I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky. I bought the x100s first and thankfully no problems. The dead pixels on the xpro are pin sized, normally I wouldn't mind but considering the cost and the premium build, it should really be defect free.

Looks like, 3rd time lucky. I can finally start using the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads