A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions
OP ottonis Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses

quezra wrote:

You can also forego the SLT-fast PDAF if you get the cheaper and smaller LA-EA1 adapter. Anyway, I hope you get what you're looking for

I just looked into the adapters: The LA-EA-1 would be my preferred choice here, as it is smaller and it doesn't eat away some light (the EA2 adapter is said to take away 1/3 - 1/2 stop worth of light because of it internal mirror). Moreover, AF would work with that adapter because the SAL16-50 has SSM, which is a prerequisite for AF to be functional with the LAEA1 adapter.

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +6 more
Re: Sounds like you want the RX100M2

dkloi wrote:

teseg wrote:

RX100M2

• Compact
  • Good IQ
  • No lens changing

Problem solved.

I was going to say the same thing. I use the NEX-7 with 16mm/2.8, 19mm/2.8, 35mm/1.8 and 50mm/1.8 to do street photography. But I just got an RX100M2 and find it actually works quite well as a street camera (waiting for the AG-R1 grip and then it'll be great). It's completely different to using the A77+16-50mm/2.8, I feel far less conspicuous.

Cheers,
Daniel.

The RX100 is certainly quite a great little camera, but I intend to stick with APS-C as it allows you to pull so much detail and information from the RAW files. I just don't want to miss on that.

That being said, I will have a look into the total size of a 5N + EA1 + 1650 f2.8 and if it matches with what I feel I can carry around, then this will be my way to go. If it's too big, I will probably change prime lenses.

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +6 more

Keit ll wrote:

One short answer is that you can't have it all in one package at a cheap price. The best compromise at present is the Sony 16-50mm & to shoot in RAW.

I guess it's the SAL 16-50 f/2.8 that quezra also recommended? That seems to be a very reasonable recommendation that probably most closely matches a compromise of low-light capability, zoom and size. I will need to see it attached to my NEX 5N in real life and how it feels in my hands. If it feels like I can work with it, this will be my new walkaround "always attached" lens.

-- hide signature --

tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,970

ottonis wrote:

quezra wrote:

So tell me, which system has what you're looking for?

Is the Panasonic 12-35 small enough for you?

The Panasonic 1235 f/2.8 is definitely a gorgous zoom lens, but I understand that it is for M43 systems only. Personally, I am not much interested into M43 as I do already possess a Nex 5N and am really really loving it for its IQ and low light capabilities.

I know that it is physically impossible to make a small sized and bright lens for a large sensor, but I would have happily traded a slightly larger size of the Zeiss2470 f/4 for a one-stop faster aperture. Then it would have been indeed my dream lens and I wouldn't mind the money.

OK, playing devil's advocate here. Disclaimer: I own and use both systems, m43 and NEX. And I bought my NEX specifically because the bodies were so small.

You write: "as I do already possess a Nex 5N and am really really loving it for its IQ and low light capabilities." In fact, the low-light capabilities and IQ of the NEX and m43 systems (most recent Sony sensor) are nearly identical. Don't just believe me (who shoots with a 5N and OMD), check out the comparisons on this site. And of course the low-light capabilities of a system depend largely on the lenses, for which m43 has many more choices, including fast ones.

All I'm saying is don't be afraid to adopt a second system if it can provide you what you want.

The 12-35mm f/2.8 seems like it's exactly what you want, although it's pretty pricey. Couple it with a tiny m43 body like an Olympus E-PM2 (same weight, nearly same size as a NEX-5N) and you have a relatively tiny sheet shooter.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

ottonis wrote:

When talking about cameras and lenses, here is what would describe my specific needs:

- I want a small package that I can easily carry around in my jacket pocket

- The camera + lens need to be capable of good IQ in available/low light situations

- I mostly do street potography, landscapes, portraits and macros. I don't do super-tele things like birding, though.

That being said, the Nex body (any of the Nex-es) is doing just fine: great IQ, and super small form factor.

However, since I HATE changing lenses, I have been waiting from the inception of the Nex line for a great, bright standard zoom to arrive.

The 18-55 kit lens is okay but is clearly too dark for my purposes and has a meh bokeh. Same applies to the new 16-50PZ.

The 18-200mm and the 55-200mm are just too big + too dark + I don't need the super tele range.

I always wished something like the FF24-70 Zeiss f.28 would arrive some day in a smaller form factor for the Nex line.

But what did we get instead: A reasonably sized but way too dark 18-70 Zeiss lens, the quality of which is certainly outstanding but the small aperture simply makes this lens unusable for me as an "always on" lens, since I totally depend on available light that is more often than not very low.

What a dissapointment. I understand that the policy of SONY executives has been to keep the size down and they probably want to have difference in IQ between the APS-C Nex and current and future Sony FF models, so that they are not interested to further push the limits of IQ on the APS-C Nex system.

What a bummer..... I almost decided to say good bye to the Sony Nex system, but then I figured out a way to still be able to do exactly what I want: Most of my pics are street/landscape photos that I take with the gorgeous Sigma 19mm f/2.8. It's bright,I love the wide-angle and it's reasonably pocketable. When I want to make the occasional portrait, I will simply get the famous Sony 50mm f/1.8 and change between those lenses when necessary.

Now let's have a look at all the other lenses recently released:

The two Touits are certainly great lenses but way too expensive, just like the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8. If I had to pick only one single lens that would stick on my Nex5N, it would probably be the CZ2418. However, paying 1000 Dollars/Euros for it (which is almost twice as much as the Nex 5N body is worth) is just not right with me. The SEL35mmf/1.8 is certainly a great lens but it's too narrow of view angle for all the street and landscape photography I am doing.

Maybe I gonna go the route of the Zeiss 18-70 f/4 zoom, but only if we get a new Nex body with MUCH improved low light IQ (at least 2 stops), which is very very unlikely to happen.

To sum it up: I gonna pass on all those new lenses and keep changing between my beloved and cheap Sigma 19mm and the furious SEL50mm. Small, great IQ, as bright as it gets.

Sorry not to offend you but I find your pessimistic view somewhat ignorant on some levels.

First of all the Zeiss is a 16-70mm f4 zoom lens and not 18-70. Fair enough if that was just a typo, but the difference is significant between 16 and 18mm.

Then you say in a later post that Panasonoic is a beautiful lens, and I assume you are implying that this performance and size would be fine for you...

...Ok, here's some facts then:

ooo The Panasonic is $300 more expensive than the new Sony Zeiss 16-70

ooo The 16-70 has a bigger absolut aperture size, meaning you can get shallower depth of field and isolate subjects more from the background on in tele

ooo The one stop difference in light gathering is more than compensated for by the better sensor in the NEX vs. the latest m43 sensors

ooo The Pana 12-35, Fuji 1855 and the SEL1670 are equal in size, even though the Sony has more total range (Pana=24-70, Fuji=28-84 and Sony=24-105!) and the biggest absolute aperture diameter

I definitely know which mirrorless system zoom standard lens that I want. Well played Sony! (if the IQ turns out to be Zeiss nice)

Jerry R Forum Pro • Posts: 10,328
I find the Zeiss 24mm a perfect companion for the NEX. With the ability to crop

I find the Zeiss 24mm a perfect companion for the NEX. With the ability to crop down to 1/2 a meg I don't need another lens. The 24mm has saved me $$$ since I don't have to invest in other lenses.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100 & Nikon V1

Jerry R's gear list:Jerry R's gear list
Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
hyenadog Contributing Member • Posts: 823

you have a simple choice for brightness - bright/light/compact&cheaper to design/make primes vs darker/heavier/bulkier&far more expensive to design/make zooms.

I agree with him about strapping on bulky heavy dark zooms ruins the only advantage of a nex over a dslr i.e compactness

It should also be remembered that the vast majority of NEX owners run 3/5's.

.. best solution is to use bright OIS/AF primes if you can use your feet (that is unless you need tele in which case youre screwed)

Sony does get a hammering everywhere for its poor lens QC, hopefully that will change with its new relationship with Olympus .. having experienced this poor lens QC first hand (and excellent support/repair from Sony) I have no doub the damage it does to Sony's rep.

The fact that relatively few NEX owners buy E mount lenses tells its own story on E mount range and lens pricing - produce a decent SEL lens priced reasonably eg SEL50/SEL55-210 and it sells really well, decent lens priced too high like the 35f1.8 sells poorly, and esoteric bulky heavy expensive lenses unsurprisingly sell poorly ..

As Sony knocks on the NEX last chance salon with its final ditch attempt to crack the US market with its cheap as chips "NEX in a dslr skin" (exactly the right strategy), it goes in to battle in a great position let down by a poor tele/macro showing in the e-mount range.

As I personally (peoples interests are different) have no interest really <30mm, the now AF properly PZ kitzoom does fine for me, I would probably buy the 35SEL if it was priced better (or the SEL50 if not) as a portrait lens, probably buy a bright compact light SEL short tele AF/OIS (85mmf2) if it existed and (although i suspect this would not be commercially viable in terms of sales) would love a compact light 135mmf3 with matched 2x teleconverter allowing me to shoot low light family theatre and dull family sports shots plus and with the telecon get towards a bit of safari/animal shots at a push on holiday.

I would love to sell my Nikon dslr/lenses which i keep for portrait/family theatre/family sports shots (and am getting to the point soon that i'll need to replace the dslr) and get the relevant lenses to replace the Nikon in E-mount, but they dont exist

spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

hyenadog wrote:

you have a simple choice for brightness - bright/light/compact&cheaper to design/make primes vs darker/heavier/bulkier&far more expensive to design/make zooms.

I agree with him about strapping on bulky heavy dark zooms ruins the only advantage of a nex over a dslr i.e compactness

.. best solution is to use bright OIS/AF primes if you can use your feet (that is unless you need tele in which case youre screwed)

Sony does get a hammering everywhere for its poor lens QC, hopefully that will change with its new relationship with Olympus .. having experienced this poor lens QC first hand (and excellent support/repair from Sony) I have no doub the damage it does to Sony's rep.

The fact that relatively few NEX owners buy E mount lenses tells its own story on E mount range and lens pricing - produce a decent SEL lens priced reasonably eg SEL50/SEL55-210 and it sells really well, decent lens priced too high like the 35f1.8 sells poorly, and esoteric bulky heavy expensive lenses unsurprisingly sell poorly ..

As Sony knocks on the NEX last chance salon with its final ditch attempt to crack the US market with its cheap as chips "NEX in a dslr skin" (exactly the right strategy), it goes in to battle in a great position let down by a poor tele/macro showing in the e-mount range.

As I personally (peoples interests are different) have no interest really <30mm, the now AF properly PZ kitzoom does fine for me, I would probably buy the 35SEL if it was priced better (or the SEL50 if not) as a portrait lens, probably but a bright compact light SEL short tele AF/OIS (85mmf2) if it existed and (although i suspect this would not be commercially viable in terms of sales) would love a compact light 135mmf3 with matched 2x teleconverter allowing me to shoot low light family theatre and dull family sports shots plus and with the telecon get towards a bit of safari/animal shots at a push on holiday.

I would love to sell my Nikon dslr/lenses which i keep for portrait/family theatre/family sports shots (and am getting to the point soon that i'll need to replace the dslr) and get the relevant lenses to replace the Nikon in E-mount, but they dont exist

The banned Everdog et al troll/strawman reinkarnated?

hyenadog Contributing Member • Posts: 823

spacemn wrote:

hyenadog wrote:

As I personally (peoples interests are different) have no interest really <30mm, the now AF properly PZ kitzoom does fine for me, I would probably buy the 35SEL if it was priced better (or the SEL50 if not) as a portrait lens, probably but a bright compact light SEL short tele AF/OIS (85mmf2) if it existed and (although i suspect this would not be commercially viable in terms of sales) would love a compact light 135mmf3 with matched 2x teleconverter allowing me to shoot low light family theatre and dull family sports shots plus and with the telecon get towards a bit of safari/animal shots at a push on holiday.

The banned Everdog et al troll/strawman reinkarnated?

I havnt got a clue what you are on about .. care to illucidate ?  or perhaps if you can justify an alternate view argue your case with a combination of commercial & technical justification rather than fanboy speak ?

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,899
You just need two cameras

And I am not kidding. A 5n with the 19mm Sigma attached and another 5n or later Nex with yout longer lens of choice. The bodies are cheap enough and small enough now to make this a viable way to go. Or the RX100. Or I might think about an RX1 and use sweep panorama mode for we and crop for tele. ILC camers have their problems.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
dkloi Senior Member • Posts: 1,924
Re: Sounds like you want the RX100M2

ottonis wrote:

The RX100 is certainly quite a great little camera, but I intend to stick with APS-C as it allows you to pull so much detail and information from the RAW files. I just don't want to miss on that.

That being said, I will have a look into the total size of a 5N + EA1 + 1650 f2.8 and if it matches with what I feel I can carry around, then this will be my way to go. If it's too big, I will probably change prime lenses.

I've used the NEX-7 with the LA-EA1+16-50mm/2.8 but for landscape. It's not a combo I think would not work particular well for street. The AF speed with the EA1 with the 16-50mm/2.8 (even with the 35mm/1.8 SAM) is marginal for landscape, let alone street so you'd really have to use MF instead. Using MF may be fine depending on your style and technique, I used to use the EA1+28mm/2 or 35mm/2 for street so I know it's doable. But the 16-50mm/2.8 is quite a beefy lens (577g) and you may find it together with the EA1 a bit unwieldy as a street photo combo, especially if you have to MF. See how it works but don't get your hopes too high.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Can I have some more? From the hip NEX-7+19mm/2.8

dkloi's gear list:dkloi's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a5100 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +23 more
martindesu
martindesu Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

ottonis wrote:

When talking about cameras and lenses, here is what would describe my specific needs:

- The camera + lens need to be capable of good IQ in available/low light situations

- I mostly do street potography, landscapes, portraits and macros. I don't do super-tele things like birding, though.

That being said, the Nex body (any of the Nex-es) is doing just fine: great IQ, and super small form factor.

However, since I HATE changing lenses, I have been waiting from the inception of the Nex line for a great, bright standard zoom to arrive.

The 18-55 kit lens is okay but is clearly too dark for my purposes and has a meh bokeh. Same applies to the new 16-50PZ.

The 18-200mm and the 55-200mm are just too big + too dark + I don't need the super tele range.

I always wished something like the FF24-70 Zeiss f.28 would arrive some day in a smaller form factor for the Nex line.

But what did we get instead: A reasonably sized but way too dark 18-70 Zeiss lens, the quality of which is certainly outstanding but the small aperture simply makes this lens unusable for me as an "always on" lens, since I totally depend on available light that is more often than not very low.

What a dissapointment. I understand that the policy of SONY executives has been to keep the size down and they probably want to have difference in IQ between the APS-C Nex and current and future Sony FF models, so that they are not interested to further push the limits of IQ on the APS-C Nex system.

What a bummer..... I almost decided to say good bye to the Sony Nex system, but then I figured out a way to still be able to do exactly what I want: Most of my pics are street/landscape photos that I take with the gorgeous Sigma 19mm f/2.8. It's bright,I love the wide-angle and it's reasonably pocketable. When I want to make the occasional portrait, I will simply get the famous Sony 50mm f/1.8 and change between those lenses when necessary.

The two Touits are certainly great lenses but way too expensive, just like the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8. If I had to pick only one single lens that would stick on my Nex5N, it would probably be the CZ2418. However, paying 1000 Dollars/Euros for it (which is almost twice as much as the Nex 5N body is worth) is just not right with me. The SEL35mmf/1.8 is certainly a great lens but it's too narrow of view angle for all the street and landscape photography I am doing.

Maybe I gonna go the route of the Zeiss 18-70 f/4 zoom, but only if we get a new Nex body with MUCH improved low light IQ (at least 2 stops), which is very very unlikely to happen.

To sum it up: I gonna pass on all those new lenses and keep changing between my beloved and cheap Sigma 19mm and the furious SEL50mm. Small, great IQ, as bright as it gets.

Sounds like you need to buy an RX1

-- hide signature --
 martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more

spacemn wrote:

ottonis wrote:

Sorry not to offend you but I find your pessimistic view somewhat ignorant on some levels.

First of all the Zeiss is a 16-70mm f4 zoom lens and not 18-70. Fair enough if that was just a typo, but the difference is significant between 16 and 18mm.

Then you say in a later post that Panasonoic is a beautiful lens, and I assume you are implying that this performance and size would be fine for you...

...Ok, here's some facts then:

ooo The Panasonic is $300 more expensive than the new Sony Zeiss 16-70

ooo The 16-70 has a bigger absolut aperture size, meaning you can get shallower depth of field and isolate subjects more from the background on in tele

ooo The one stop difference in light gathering is more than compensated for by the better sensor in the NEX vs. the latest m43 sensors

ooo The Pana 12-35, Fuji 1855 and the SEL1670 are equal in size, even though the Sony has more total range (Pana=24-70, Fuji=28-84 and Sony=24-105!) and the biggest absolute aperture diameter

I definitely know which mirrorless system zoom standard lens that I want. Well played Sony! (if the IQ turns out to be Zeiss nice)

You make some excellent points. I am totally aware of the limitations of the M43 system  regarding DOF, which makes me stick with my beloved NEX 5N.

I also agree that the new Zeiss Sony lenses are quite a feat. I was just disappointed because I hoped for a faster zoom, that's all.

-- hide signature --

Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576

I've had a Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 zoom on Rebels and a EF 24-105/4.0 on a 5D2.  Both zooms have image stabilization.  The EF lens is slightly bigger than the EF-S lens.  Although "only" f4, the 24-105 was better in low light/higher ISO because it was usually attached to the 5D2.

My point (made by others in this and other forums) is that, with the ever improving low light capability of new sensors, f4.0 will be sufficient IF YOU WANT A SMALL LENS.  I can attach the f2.8 Canon zoom to my NEX, but the combo will be huge.  The NEX with the new Zeiss 16-70/4 is about the right small size, but maybe not the right price.

If you want high quality low f stop small lenses, you need to give up image stabilization, autofocus, zoom and, most likely, low price: for example, "all manual" Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,558
You just explained ...

... why there are fast prime lenses ...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +36 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326

ottonis wrote:

quezra wrote:

If that's the case then answer to your prayers already exists, it's called the LA-EA2+SAL16-50/2.8

I just skimmed through the reviews of the SAL16-50 f/2.8 and it seems to be a very good lens, especially considering its prize.

Thank you very much for this hint. I will have to go into a camera shop and have a look into the total size of this lens + the adapter and then I will judge if the size tradeoff would offset the hassle of carrying around two different lenses and changing them.

Thanks again for this wonderful hint, I am really delighted!

I tried it once in early 2012. At the time, it just seemed huge and I didn't keep it. But now that I've gone to a Canon 6D, the 16-50/2.8 doesn't seem so huge any more. It's really a nice lens, though. Here it is next to my 55-210.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
clail Contributing Member • Posts: 548

The SAL1650f2.8 is large, looks bigger than the SEL18200 for the one stop difference. The problem is, f2.8 is still not quite bright enough for low light shots, you'll need OSS. Use the SEL35/50 for low light shots Or you'll have to brace yourself and hold your breath when you shoot. Indoors with the Sigma 19 or SEL20 is not easy without OSS But a breeze with the 35/50.

The Zeiss zoom will be my day use lens but I'll stick to primes once it gets dark. But I think the OSS will help at f4 even in low light. Current zooms are too slow at f5.6 or more.

clail's gear list:clail's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +8 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326

clail wrote:

The SAL1650f2.8 is large, looks bigger than the SEL18200 for the one stop difference. The problem is, f2.8 is still not quite bright enough for low light shots, you'll need OSS. Use the SEL35/50 for low light shots Or you'll have to brace yourself and hold your breath when you shoot. Indoors with the Sigma 19 or SEL20 is not easy without OSS But a breeze with the 35/50.

The Zeiss zoom will be my day use lens but I'll stick to primes once it gets dark. But I think the OSS will help at f4 even in low light. Current zooms are too slow at f5.6 or more.

The conclusion I reached after a year or so of getting more serious about photography is that there isn't a single zoom that satisfies me. I have the 55-210 just because it's hard to use a prime at distances (e.g., I also have the Canon FD 200/2.8) but I rarely shoot at distances. So, I only shoot primes.

Now that I've bumped up to a Canon 6D, I still only shoot primes. The quality of the zooms is better, but I just have a mental block against them.

I do find the new Zeiss Emount zoom intriguing. But I would rather have seem Sony/Zeiss shrink the range and increase the speed. For example, 18-35/2.8 would have appealed to me on the NEX system. I would buy that as my backup camera lens (my 5N is my backup camera). But I won't buy it at f/4 even with OSS. OSS is nice for still life, but not shots that have movement in them. So, my 5N will continue to use a Rokinon fisheye (8/2.8) much of the time (with a few legacy lens primes).

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more

sean lancaster wrote:

ottonis wrote:

quezra wrote:

If that's the case then answer to your prayers already exists, it's called the LA-EA2+SAL16-50/2.8

I just skimmed through the reviews of the SAL16-50 f/2.8 and it seems to be a very good lens, especially considering its prize.

Thank you very much for this hint. I will have to go into a camera shop and have a look into the total size of this lens + the adapter and then I will judge if the size tradeoff would offset the hassle of carrying around two different lenses and changing them.

Thanks again for this wonderful hint, I am really delighted!

I tried it once in early 2012. At the time, it just seemed huge and I didn't keep it. But now that I've gone to a Canon 6D, the 16-50/2.8 doesn't seem so huge any more. It's really a nice lens, though. Here it is next to my 55-210.

Impressive, thanks for posting. It seems that the SAL16-50 f/2.8 is not excessively long but rather extraordinarily wide. It looks like a 1000W reflector. Well, alone from this picture, it's pretty obvious that this lens cannot be carried around in a jacket pocket. However, it seems to be no bigger and bulkier than my Walimex 85mm f/1.4 that I use to put on my Nex5n every once in a while when I need some tele (e.g. when taking pictures in the zoo or taking portraits in available light).

Taken together, it's doubtful that a lens of that size and weight is going to become my 'always on' lens. Anyways, I'm going to try it on my Nex5n just to get a feeling for it and a real life impression. Who knows, if it feels just right in my hands I would go that route.

-- hide signature --

zodiacfml Contributing Member • Posts: 544
that's pessimistic indeed..

Now with excellent Sony APSC sensors, users can use ISO 6400 and maybe 12800 for reasonable shutter speeds in low light.  Simply,  with slower zooms you just lose 1 or 2 stops.

If your preference are bright lenses, then selecting a fast and still useful prime would best fit your needs.

zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads