Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
dale thorn Senior Member • Posts: 1,758
Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

Not exactly a classic black and white, but it's a good one for detail. Or at least I think it should be, although strangely enough, I can see the lettering on the Wytheville VA sign (just below the treetops just left of center) clearly on the Monochrom monitor screen, and it doesn't look as clear here when viewed at 100 percent. f5.6, 1/3000 handheld, ISO 800.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the fake sky - the actual sky was blank white so I had this low quality substitute on hand....

 dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,799
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
2

It's a parking lot. Surely you can find something more rewarding for the viewer.

dale thorn OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,758
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

Toccata47 wrote:

It's a parking lot. Surely you can find something more rewarding for the viewer.

My idea in purchasing the Monochrom and Noctilux was for more abstract images, form and structure etc. rather than people, places, events or whatever is considered normal for color photography. So I didn't see this so much as a place I visited - I saw it as a juxtaposition of patterns and shapes in different shades. If that sounds like BS or whatever, I won't disagree since it is what it is literally. But that's the best I can say at this point, since I don't have that many finished images at the moment.

 dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,487
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
2

That's a lot of  $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.  

Thanks for posting.

 Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
dale thorn OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,758
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

Len_Gee wrote:

That's a lot of $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

It is a lot of $$$, and it was a real concern, to be sure it would deliver the goods. But having seen the results and how much they look like medium format photos I have from the 1970s, no worries. The image only has to look good aesthetically - the content or subject is mostly irrelevant. I do envy people who have taken on meaningful tasks with their cameras - something besides creating simple art - but I don't have any such tasks in my sights at this time.

 dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,799
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
2

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

That's a lot of $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

It is a lot of $$$, and it was a real concern, to be sure it would deliver the goods. But having seen the results and how much they look like medium format photos I have from the 1970s, no worries. The image only has to look good aesthetically - the content or subject is mostly irrelevant. I do envy people who have taken on meaningful tasks with their cameras - something besides creating simple art - but I don't have any such tasks in my sights at this time.

You could have achieved a more aesthetic photo with less relevant content with an iphone and any number of apps. I like scratch cam and snapseed. Have you tried them?

dale thorn OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,758
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

Toccata47 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

That's a lot of $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

It is a lot of $$$, and it was a real concern, to be sure it would deliver the goods. But having seen the results and how much they look like medium format photos I have from the 1970s, no worries. The image only has to look good aesthetically - the content or subject is mostly irrelevant. I do envy people who have taken on meaningful tasks with their cameras - something besides creating simple art - but I don't have any such tasks in my sights at this time.

You could have achieved a more aesthetic photo with less relevant content with an iphone and any number of apps. I like scratch cam and snapseed. Have you tried them?

I could hire a maid a lot cheaper than having a wife, if that's what you mean. But no.

 dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
bosjohn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
1

dale thorn wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

That's a lot of $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

It is a lot of $$$, and it was a real concern, to be sure it would deliver the goods. But having seen the results and how much they look like medium format photos I have from the 1970s, no worries. The image only has to look good aesthetically - the content or subject is mostly irrelevant. I do envy people who have taken on meaningful tasks with their cameras - something besides creating simple art - but I don't have any such tasks in my sights at this time.

You could have achieved a more aesthetic photo with less relevant content with an iphone and any number of apps. I like scratch cam and snapseed. Have you tried them?

I could hire a maid a lot cheaper than having a wife, if that's what you mean. But no.

so what am I missing? the original poster says already its not a great image but he thinks it shows the detail and how well or not his new lens is working. Instead of commenting on the lens performance you guys are all beating on him for showing a banal image. get over it at address your comments to his intention, which is how well is the lens performing and save the heavy handed critique for more appropriate places.

ps although I attached my statement to this post its a general statement about the tone this thread has taken and should not be taken as in anyway singling out any one

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,799
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
1

dale thorn wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

That's a lot of $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

It is a lot of $$$, and it was a real concern, to be sure it would deliver the goods. But having seen the results and how much they look like medium format photos I have from the 1970s, no worries. The image only has to look good aesthetically - the content or subject is mostly irrelevant. I do envy people who have taken on meaningful tasks with their cameras - something besides creating simple art - but I don't have any such tasks in my sights at this time.

You could have achieved a more aesthetic photo with less relevant content with an iphone and any number of apps. I like scratch cam and snapseed. Have you tried them?

I could hire a maid a lot cheaper than having a wife, if that's what you mean. But no.

Yikes. That's not what I meant. No need to denigrate your wife to turn a phrase my way. This is what I meant:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/riapereira/7338192326/

...just a simple example of making an aesthetically interesting photo from an irrelevant subject using an iphone with scratch cam.

The broader point is if you want feedback on something post something worth the time it takes to look at. Sure, something in that photo is sharp. But something is always sharp with any camera when it has focus, right?

You made a post a while back about wanting to learn how to make a better black and white photograph. That was the genesis of my comment to this thread.

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,799
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

bosjohn wrote:

so what am I missing? the original poster says already its not a great image but he thinks it shows the detail and how well or not his new lens is working. Instead of commenting on the lens performance you guys are all beating on him for showing a banal image. get over it at address your comments to his intention, which is how well is the lens performing and save the heavy handed critique for more appropriate places.

ps although I attached my statement to this post its a general statement about the tone this thread has taken and should not be taken as in anyway singling out any one

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

You're right. Something is sharp.

/end snark mode.

meagre offerings
meagre offerings Senior Member • Posts: 4,914
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
8

hi dale

before you read this post dale please accept that there is no malice whatsoever intended in the following, this is just how i read your threads and the answers you sometimes receive.

in the maybe 3mths since i first saw you appear on this forum, if i remember right, you got yourself a x-vario, then a d-lux6 g-raw, and now a MM/noctilux combo, im not green with envy, but yes i am envious.

the vast majority of the images you have since posted from these amazing photographic tools are usually tagged with asides stating that `these are just test shots to see how the x-varios lens performs`, or other asides just telling everyone that your posted images are just to compare one thing or another.

i would guess that seeing as you talk about using film back in the 70s (like myself) you must have a good idea of how to take a few decent shots that you can put up here. im sure most forum members would love to see you put your equipment to better use, than just posting by your own admission, shots that are just to see how this or that performs.

i know i would love to start seeing some serious stuff of yours,i cant even tell what your prefered genre (if you have one) is after three months, as i cant remember much other than comparison/test shots.

i think most people accept that the three cameras you have spoken about recently are all bloody good tools, so lets see some of your more worthwhile images please.

very best

pc

 meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +7 more
DavidGBK Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

I find nothing wrong with this - I like it.

Some interesting compositional elements - I see at least one "three".

Not all street photography needs people in it.

Regards

David

Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,844
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

The fake sky confused me tremendously... I thought the MM was creating funny jpegs artifacts, but then I re-read the original post...

I also agree with Paul above (Paul do not look surprised! ). We know that you are capable of showing us some great images, so I look forward to seeing more from your camera, especially from this combo.

Best, D

starwolfy Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
5

meagre offerings wrote:

hi dale

before you read this post dale please accept that there is no malice whatsoever intended in the following, this is just how i read your threads and the answers you sometimes receive.

in the maybe 3mths since i first saw you appear on this forum, if i remember right, you got yourself a x-vario, then a d-lux6 g-raw, and now a MM/noctilux combo, im not green with envy, but yes i am envious.

the vast majority of the images you have since posted from these amazing photographic tools are usually tagged with asides stating that `these are just test shots to see how the x-varios lens performs`, or other asides just telling everyone that your posted images are just to compare one thing or another.

i would guess that seeing as you talk about using film back in the 70s (like myself) you must have a good idea of how to take a few decent shots that you can put up here. im sure most forum members would love to see you put your equipment to better use, than just posting by your own admission, shots that are just to see how this or that performs.

i know i would love to start seeing some serious stuff of yours,i cant even tell what your prefered genre (if you have one) is after three months, as i cant remember much other than comparison/test shots.

i think most people accept that the three cameras you have spoken about recently are all bloody good tools, so lets see some of your more worthwhile images please.

very best

pc

Don't know what to think with Dale.

Still wonder if he is just a Troll or not presenting stuff which was not shot with the cameras he pretends. There is never any EXIF datas (wonder why trim it even on test pictures) and so far the quality of the stuff presented would make you more willing to invest your bucks somewhere else than on a Leica.

Don't want to sound harsh but...this is very questionable for me so I don't take Dale's posts very seriously anyway.

 starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Leica M8 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +7 more
dale thorn OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,758
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

starwolfy wrote:.

Still wonder if he is just a Troll or not presenting stuff which was not shot with the cameras he pretends. There is never any EXIF datas (wonder why trim it even on test pictures) and so far the quality of the stuff presented would make you more willing to invest your bucks somewhere else than on a Leica.

Don't want to sound harsh but...this is very questionable for me so I don't take Dale's posts very seriously anyway.

Some of the folks replying here I have on ignore because they are real trolls, so I don't read what they say and don't care anyway. I doubt that they perform any useful photographic functions. I could prove that I have black and white lab experience from 1967 forward including Army lab, and I could prove that I purchased the camera and lens from Dale Photo in Florida on August 19, which I suppose would embarrass someone, but for what purpose? That I need your approval? Just stick to whatever commentary you think is appropriate, harsh or not. If you go overboard, it will just make you look bad, not me.

 dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
meagre offerings
meagre offerings Senior Member • Posts: 4,914
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

meagre offerings wrote:

hi dale

before you read this post dale please accept that there is no malice whatsoever intended in the following, this is just how i read your threads and the answers you sometimes receive.

in the maybe 3mths since i first saw you appear on this forum, if i remember right, you got yourself a x-vario, then a d-lux6 g-raw, and now a MM/noctilux combo, im not green with envy, but yes i am envious.

the vast majority of the images you have since posted from these amazing photographic tools are usually tagged with asides stating that `these are just test shots to see how the x-varios lens performs`, or other asides just telling everyone that your posted images are just to compare one thing or another.

i would guess that seeing as you talk about using film back in the 70s (like myself) you must have a good idea of how to take a few decent shots that you can put up here. im sure most forum members would love to see you put your equipment to better use, than just posting by your own admission, shots that are just to see how this or that performs.

i know i would love to start seeing some serious stuff of yours,i cant even tell what your prefered genre (if you have one) is after three months, as i cant remember much other than comparison/test shots.

i think most people accept that the three cameras you have spoken about recently are all bloody good tools, so lets see some of your more worthwhile images please.

very best

pc

Don't know what to think with Dale.

Still wonder if he is just a Troll or not presenting stuff which was not shot with the cameras he pretends. There is never any EXIF datas (wonder why trim it even on test pictures) and so far the quality of the stuff presented would make you more willing to invest your bucks somewhere else than on a Leica.

Don't want to sound harsh but...this is very questionable for me so I don't take Dale's posts very seriously anyway.

 meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +7 more
meagre offerings
meagre offerings Senior Member • Posts: 4,914
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

meagre offerings wrote:

hi dale

before you read this post dale please accept that there is no malice whatsoever intended in the following, this is just how i read your threads and the answers you sometimes receive.

in the maybe 3mths since i first saw you appear on this forum, if i remember right, you got yourself a x-vario, then a d-lux6 g-raw, and now a MM/noctilux combo, im not green with envy, but yes i am envious.

the vast majority of the images you have since posted from these amazing photographic tools are usually tagged with asides stating that `these are just test shots to see how the x-varios lens performs`, or other asides just telling everyone that your posted images are just to compare one thing or another.

i would guess that seeing as you talk about using film back in the 70s (like myself) you must have a good idea of how to take a few decent shots that you can put up here. im sure most forum members would love to see you put your equipment to better use, than just posting by your own admission, shots that are just to see how this or that performs.

i know i would love to start seeing some serious stuff of yours,i cant even tell what your prefered genre (if you have one) is after three months, as i cant remember much other than comparison/test shots.

i think most people accept that the three cameras you have spoken about recently are all bloody good tools, so lets see some of your more worthwhile images please.

very best

pc

Don't know what to think with Dale.

Still wonder if he is just a Troll or not presenting stuff which was not shot with the cameras he pretends. There is never any EXIF datas (wonder why trim it even on test pictures) and so far the quality of the stuff presented would make you more willing to invest your bucks somewhere else than on a Leica.

Don't want to sound harsh but...this is very questionable for me so I don't take Dale's posts very seriously anyway.

 meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +7 more
starwolfy Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
2

dale thorn wrote:

starwolfy wrote:.

Still wonder if he is just a Troll or not presenting stuff which was not shot with the cameras he pretends. There is never any EXIF datas (wonder why trim it even on test pictures) and so far the quality of the stuff presented would make you more willing to invest your bucks somewhere else than on a Leica.

Don't want to sound harsh but...this is very questionable for me so I don't take Dale's posts very seriously anyway.

Some of the folks replying here I have on ignore because they are real trolls, so I don't read what they say and don't care anyway. I doubt that they perform any useful photographic functions. I could prove that I have black and white lab experience from 1967 forward including Army lab, and I could prove that I purchased the camera and lens from Dale Photo in Florida on August 19, which I suppose would embarrass someone, but for what purpose? That I need your approval? Just stick to whatever commentary you think is appropriate, harsh or not. If you go overboard, it will just make you look bad, not me.

I don't care you show me a proof or not.

What I said is that you are not a valuable input on this forum so I don't take your participation here very seriously anyway.

 starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Leica M8 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +7 more
BSweeney
BSweeney Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

A longtime member posts an image and this is the reaction?

Shameful, par for the course for many forums- too bad it spilled over to the Leica forum.

 BSweeney's gear list:BSweeney's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Leica M9 Olympus PEN E-P2 +5 more
bosjohn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

BSweeney wrote:

A longtime member posts an image and this is the reaction?

Shameful, par for the course for many forums- too bad it spilled over to the Leica forum.

agreed

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads