Will Olympus finally take video seriously w/ EM-1?

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 5,392
Re: It's very clear now: Olympus won't focus on video!

Pixnat2 wrote:

SHood wrote:

It doesn't look like Olympus will improve video.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/09/18/the-om-d-e-m1-new-pro-lenses-and-2014-an-interview-with-olympus-europe/

"We are concentrating on priority matters, specifically establishing nice still image quality. This is our priority as a camera manufacturer and our reputation on the market is for still. So, that’s one of the reasons. But there is another matter because even if we go in the direction of video, Panasonic already has really nice MFT cameras for video. We like to show the total possibility of the entire MFT line-up, and if we start to focus on video capabilities, it may be misleading to the market. They may think that MFT is only suitable for video and we don’t want to give that impression."

Great finding, thank you for sharing!

Now all moaners and whiners read this and put in in your head : Olympus has no interest in video. They don't have a Pro Camera video division like Panasonic, so they have zero interest on this market. They put video in their camera because they have to (like Fuji and Pentax), but they won't go in the Panasonic and Sony territory.

They could at least then make a pal version and an ntsc version, or and btw the EM-5 has 720p/60?

The best part is : "if we start to focus on video capabilities, it may be misleading to the market"

I completely agree. Despite a vocal minority of whiners who cry everytime there isn't a feature in a camera, Olympus users are still mainly stills shooters with minimal interest in video.

Their goal is to attract CaNikon photographers in the m4/3 system, and given the E-M1 buzz and coverage (despite it's subpar video features...), they could well succeed. And like Terada said, Panasonic has already nice MFT cameras for video.

Want serious video? Buy Panasonic. That's clear once and for all!

-- hide signature --
 Advent1sam's gear list:Advent1sam's gear list
Fujifilm X-T100
Pixnat2
Pixnat2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,416

I understand your frustration and your argumentation make sense.

But open your eyes, reality check : Olympus won't focus on video for a while, even if some are angry, sad or outraged.

I think that in the future, they will eventually include 24/25p in their cameras. But at this time, Panasonic and Sony will include 2k or 4k sensor with 120fps. And whiners will go on and on...

Olympus will probalby always be behind Panasonic and Sony for video, because they don't feel the need to compete on this segment. Things could change fo course, but probably not in the near future.

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Pixnat2

Advent1sam wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

SHood wrote:

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/09/18/the-om-d-e-m1-new-pro-lenses-and-2014-an-interview-with-olympus-europe/

"We are concentrating on priority matters, specifically establishing nice still image quality. This is our priority as a camera manufacturer and our reputation on the market is for still. So, that’s one of the reasons. But there is another matter because even if we go in the direction of video, Panasonic already has really nice MFT cameras for video. We like to show the total possibility of the entire MFT line-up, and if we start to focus on video capabilities, it may be misleading to the market. They may think that MFT is only suitable for video and we don’t want to give that impression."

Now all moaners and whiners read this and put in in your head : Olympus has no interest in video. They don't have a Pro Camera video division like Panasonic, so they have zero interest on this market. They put video in their camera because they have to (like Fuji and Pentax), but they won't go in the Panasonic and Sony territory.

They could at least then make a pal version and an ntsc version, or and btw the EM-5 has 720p/60?

They could, but probably won't.

That said, I would be the first happy if they will, but I have zero hope about this 

The best part is : "if we start to focus on video capabilities, it may be misleading to the market"

I completely agree. Despite a vocal minority of whiners who cry everytime there isn't a feature in a camera, Olympus users are still mainly stills shooters with minimal interest in video.

Their goal is to attract CaNikon photographers in the m4/3 system, and given the E-M1 buzz and coverage (despite it's subpar video features...), they could well succeed. And like Terada said, Panasonic has already nice MFT cameras for video.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Advent1sam

Pixnat2 wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

SHood wrote:

That said, I would be the first happy if they will, but I have zero hope about this

I don't understand their thoughts, its like saying Nikon don't want to give the impression that dslr is only good for video, they also do not have a pro video division. Its just spin and a lack of vision on Oly's behalf. They do know their target audience, you see them daily on this forum! but the majority of people today want the video convenience and its actually slightly sad that Olympus can't go the extra mile and at least add the 25 or 50p options, I dont honestly care about 24p but 25p for a euro camera with the word pro written all over it, seriously? its a bit sad is all I'm saying and Olympus are a strange company for sure, with an even stranger brigade of followers (not all but a high percentage are very old fashioned, conservative purists I guess is what they are, or many people would call them humdrum!)

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-T100
Pixnat2

Advent1sam wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

SHood wrote:

I don't understand their thoughts, its like saying Nikon don't want to give the impression that dslr is only good for video, they also do not have a pro video division. Its just spin and a lack of vision on Oly's behalf. They do know their target audience, you see them daily on this forum! but the majority of people today want the video convenience and its actually slightly sad that Olympus can't go the extra mile and at least add the 25 or 50p options, I dont honestly care about 24p but 25p for a euro camera with the word pro written all over it, seriously? its a bit sad is all I'm saying and Olympus are a strange company for sure, with an even stranger brigade of followers (not all but a high percentage are very old fashioned, conservative purists I guess is what they are, or many people would call them humdrum!)

They should read the forums, many clever posters can give them a vision

Seriously, it's not always bad to be a conservative purist. At least, they are not sheeps in the flock of "newer is better" followers.

Speaking about video and movies, I advice to watch "Trouble with the Curve", a Clint Eastwood movie that illustrate well why purism isn't always worse than "newer is better".

-- hide signature --
Advent1sam

Pixnat2 wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

SHood wrote:

Seriously, it's not always bad to be a conservative purist. At least, they are not sheeps in the flock of "newer is better" followers.

Speaking about video and movies, I advice to watch "Trouble with the Curve", a Clint Eastwood movie that illustrate well why purism isn't always worse than "newer is better".

Don't get me wrong I too like the OMD styling-functions and purism, I was after all a major champion of the GH1/2 as well on this very forum and was ultimately swayed to go with the OMD. But seriously, to leave out 25p or 50p again irrespective of their "ideals" its just ignorance and very irritating/frustrating. The funny thing is the Luminous Landscape guy, Micheal, he set his camera to 1/60 and then shot in Paris, did you see the flickering everywhere? in the subtle lights, on the girls faces etc, LOL, LOL. Olympus, people are laughing at your ignorance!

Fujifilm X-T100
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,072
OT: Excellent film! I discovered it by accident...missed it in the press.

Despite CE's reprise of his cantankerous Gran Torino persona, it is marvelous. What did he call the web...the "inter web"? Great. And, instead of "Get off my lawn," we get "I'll think about it."

I happened to visit the North Korean film studios in February and, when asked about current US films, I gave the director/manager a copy of Trouble with the Curve. Would be interesting to learn their thoughts on it...

I may just have to sit back and watch it again tonight...

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Corkcampbell
I'm not laughing; I am just disappointed (although saving $1300 is nice)

On the other hand, I'll probably get the new lens, pending reviews. Looks good so far. Except for the 14mm, I tend to use Oly and Sigma primes for video...once again, the advantage of having multiple players in the m4/3 world.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,076
No AA filter is a compromise to stills too

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

How does the GH3 compromise stills? Seems to do quite well in that regard.

Note: Not prejudiced here - I have two OM-Ds, a DP2M, 2 GH2s, and a GH3. Whatever the shoot requirements/priorities, I grab what is necessary.

I remember only some of the compromises made in the GH3 for video:

1. The EVF is too wide because it was chosen to suit video shooting, 16:9, which means a small image when used for stills. What's worse is the problem caused by the extra width in the image quality and also in the need to have the eye carefully positioned, hence all those complaints about the EVF's quality especially to glass-wearers.

2. The AA filtering is also compromising. I believe this is true, having read about it somewhere. Video needs different blurring from the AA filter. A choice has to be made sacrificing something somewhere as the same filter cannot be optimal for both still and video quality. The E-M1 has no AA filter for the best still quality, and that is something a camera like the GH3 cannot do without affecting video quality.

3. Cost of some of the high-end features/parts/labour necessary for very high bitrate, live HDMI streaming and high performance (60p etc) must be paid for by the consumers, most of whom do not care about fantastic and would rather have the costs spent on still quality instead. So, for the same costs, it must mean some compromise for the majority of buyers.

There should be other complications that could mean compromises, I think, involving heat management needs for highly spec'ed video and/or size. In short, there must be a cost and most likely compromises in anything additional video-related features that are not required by most photographers buying an Olympus camera. Those who really need them, just go and buy the GH4 or 5, or complain to Panasonic for not giving you 5-axis IBIS. No use moaning here every other day and complaining about Olympus. Forget it. Olympus is not going to have the same video as Panasonic or Sony cameras. Olympus does not have the same pro video camera expertise or interest. They are focused in still cameras.

Some believe that the AA filter is still necessary for stills.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m1/olympus-e-m1A.HTM

"There's been a strong move in the camera industry lately to remove low-pass filters (aka anti-aliasing filters or LPFs) from cameras, in pursuit of greater image sharpness. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 is one of the latest camera models to join this trend."

"Bottom line, this is looking like something we're simply going to have to deal with as photographers, at least until the no-LPF fad abates. We at IR are hoping that the industry as a whole will come to its senses sooner than later, and focus on eliminating what become unavoidable problems, simply for the sake of an extra smidgen or two of sharpness. In the meantime, this looks like the face of the future."

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,943

Reading between the lines, I can't help but believe that there's a tacit agreement between Oly and Panny about what they will feature in their cameras. Oly will hold back on video features and Panny won't threaten Oly's superior IBIS (or liveview blinkies, perhaps). This is the only thing that makes sense to me. As others have argued, it really wouldn't take much for Oly to upgrade their codecs and the argument that they "don't want the market to get the wrong idea [about video]" is patently absurd.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,076

Pixnat2 wrote:

I understand your frustration and your argumentation make sense.

But open your eyes, reality check : Olympus won't focus on video for a while, even if some are angry, sad or outraged.

I think that in the future, they will eventually include 24/25p in their cameras. But at this time, Panasonic and Sony will include 2k or 4k sensor with 120fps. And whiners will go on and on...

Olympus will probalby always be behind Panasonic and Sony for video, because they don't feel the need to compete on this segment. Things could change fo course, but probably not in the near future.

Olympus has a bigger issue with flicker and moire/aliasing.  Adding 24/25p won't resolve these main issues.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
dgrogers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,079
Re: Because hybrid photography is the future, or present, really.

Corkcampbell wrote:

How does the GH3 compromise stills? Seems to do quite well in that regard.

Note: Not prejudiced here - I have two OM-Ds, a DP2M, 2 GH2s, and a GH3. Whatever the shoot requirements/priorities, I grab what is necessary.

Not really.  It is extremely rare that I am drawn to a video.  Most of the time I can't wait for a video to be over because they are most often boring.  If you are shooting for personal reasons or are shooting professionally for someone else (i.e. a wedding) then video has its place but it only has it's place for a limited audience.  Stills, on the other hand, can really draw a large number of people in.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

dgrogers's gear list:dgrogers's gear list
Olympus E-1 Samsung NX20 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Pixnat2
Re:Re: OT: Excellent film! I discovered it by accident...missed it in the press.

Corkcampbell wrote:

Despite CE's reprise of his cantankerous Gran Torino persona, it is marvelous. What did he call the web...the "inter web"? Great. And, instead of "Get off my lawn," we get "I'll think about it."

I happened to visit the North Korean film studios in February and, when asked about current US films, I gave the director/manager a copy of Trouble with the Curve. Would be interesting to learn their thoughts on it...

I may just have to sit back and watch it again tonight...

Glad you like it! I discovered it by accident too, and before watching it, I thought "oh well, just an american movie about baseball". I was so wrong! This movie is a really an ode to humanity and an incisive criticism of our current society dominated (enslaved?) by technology.

I really like Eastwood subtle way of telling stories, and I think this grumpy charachter is really part of this subtlety : a cantankerous and unpleasant man who can reach senstive perfection. Eastwood has a mastery of the art of contrast.

I would be interested about North Korean perception of this movie, if you have some feedback one day (a pm perhaps?).

I just watched it one week ago, but sure I will watch it again

-- hide signature --
Corkcampbell
There won't be any feedback about the movie (North Korea).

They can't get messages out, and, even if they could, they and their families would be in big trouble. All we can do is hope that someone appreciated it, which is probably true, as they are desperate for any news, cultural info, etc., from the outside world. Considering who I gave it to, I assume many people have seen it, despite the dangers.

Anyway, getting ready to watch it again - it's almost midnight where I am (and a holiday) and so just the right time.

Corkcampbell
One last comment about the film, and then we should probably return to the thread.

There were a lot of little side stories in the movie, such as technology, but they were shallow and not necessary to the heart of the film. The real story was the father/daughter relationship...what tormented the father, why he gave her up, etc. It's a story about inner-demons, guilt, closure, and similar. The whole baseball thing was just the vehicle, as were the villains, Eastwood's curmudgeonly behavior, the daughter's new romance, whatever.

Now that I've said that, I may google up a few reviews and see what others thought.

Pixnat2
OT : One last comment about the film, and then we should probably return to the thread.

Corkcampbell wrote:

There were a lot of little side stories in the movie, such as technology, but they were shallow and not necessary to the heart of the film. The real story was the father/daughter relationship...what tormented the father, why he gave her up, etc. It's a story about inner-demons, guilt, closure, and similar. The whole baseball thing was just the vehicle, as were the villains, Eastwood's curmudgeonly behavior, the daughter's new romance, whatever.

Now that I've said that, I may google up a few reviews and see what others thought.

The last comment, promised

It's very interesting how different people can have different perceptions. For me, the key message of this story was how people can be fooled by new technology, and how important are human feelings and experience, or, in other terms, the machines (computers) can't replace humans.

It shows too how enslaved by technology the young generation is : the daughter always hanged by her mobile phone (she throws it in a garbage can at the end of the movie, symbol of her new freedom), Philip Snyder unable to work without his computer and completely fooled in the end.

The father/daughter relationship was an important part of the story of course, but I interpreted it as a secondary part, to add drama and substance to the movie.

That said, it's the mark of a good movie : different people can interpret it differently!

Happy movie, and let's get back to the topic

P.S. sorry to the OP for speaking about a movie in a video thread

-- hide signature --
honeyiscool
OP honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Pixnat2 wrote:

Speaking about video and movies, I advice to watch "Trouble with the Curve", a Clint Eastwood movie that illustrate well why purism isn't always worse than "newer is better".

What in the world is conservative purist about the EM-1? It is about the most advanced, non-traditional camera we have seen in years.

What's weird about Olympus M43 fanboys (and I'm a huge Olympus fan) is that they're in line to sing the praises of the newest Olympus-led trends: 5-axis IBIS, plastic lenses to save weight, silent focusing lenses (the M in MSC stands for movie, ironically enough), EVF, 43 compatibility, hybrid P/CDAF, etc. Yet they're conservative about everything Olympus hasn't gotten to yet.

I mean, come on. Just last year, E-M5 fanboys were saying how PDAF is useless to them and 43 is dead, blah, blah, and now the E-M1 is announced, all of a sudden 43 compatibility is a feature? Because Olympus is too lazy to spend a couple thousand dollars to add a few lines of code to make a better video codec (WHICH IS HONESTLY ALL WE WANT, NOTHING MORE), this is somehow a feature that affirms to you that Olympus is a stills company and not a video company? No, it's not a feature. It's a compromise. Please accept that. We all know that the moment Olympus adds a 50 Mbps 60/30/25/24 capability, it will all of a sudden become a point you bring up to Canikon fanboys.

I can understand conservatism, but you don't get to be conservative as an Olympus fan when Olympus is one of the companies really pushing camera tech right now. Olympus ain't Leica or Fuji. Olympus is trying to define what photography is in the 2010s. You don't get to be conservative supporting a company like this. If they cared so much for traditional values and conservative photographic values, Olympus would have never abandoned OM system, they would never have developed 43, and then they would never have let that rust to develop the M43, and they would have released the E-7 already. Just because they make cameras that look like the OM-1 doesn't make Olympus conservative.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Advent1sam

honeyiscool wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

What in the world is conservative purist about the EM-1? It is about the most advanced, non-traditional camera we have seen in years.

If you say so, but without 24/25/50/60p video. If Oly are so clever and advanced, using different frame recording rates should be a walk in the park!

What's weird about Olympus M43 fanboys (and I'm a huge Olympus fan) is that they're in line to sing the praises of the newest Olympus-led trends: 5-axis IBIS, plastic lenses to save weight, silent focusing lenses (the M in MSC stands for movie, ironically enough), EVF, 43 compatibility, hybrid P/CDAF, etc. Yet they're conservative about everything Olympus hasn't gotten to yet.

I think you'll find Panasonic are just as technically advanced.

I mean, come on. Just last year, E-M5 fanboys were saying how PDAF is useless to them and 43 is dead, blah, blah, and now the E-M1 is announced, all of a sudden 43 compatibility is a feature? Because Olympus is too lazy to spend a couple thousand dollars to add a few lines of code to make a better video codec (WHICH IS HONESTLY ALL WE WANT, NOTHING MORE), this is somehow a feature that affirms to you that Olympus is a stills company and not a video company? No, it's not a feature. It's a compromise. Please accept that. We all know that the moment Olympus adds a 50 Mbps 60/30/25/24 capability, it will all of a sudden become a point you bring up to Canikon fanboys.

rant

I can understand conservatism, but you don't get to be conservative as an Olympus fan when Olympus is one of the companies really pushing camera tech right now. Olympus ain't Leica or Fuji. Olympus is trying to define what photography is in the 2010s. You don't get to be conservative supporting a company like this. If they cared so much for traditional values and conservative photographic values, Olympus would have never abandoned OM system, they would never have developed 43, and then they would never have let that rust to develop the M43, and they would have released the E-7 already. Just because they make cameras that look like the OM-1 doesn't make Olympus conservative.

rant

Fujifilm X-T100
Pixnat2

honeyiscool wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Funny, you should respond to adventsam, because he was calling olympus fans conservative purists, not me. I just told him that it's not bad to be a purist.

Personally, I think that Olympus is far away from a purist company : it's one of the mots innovative company. They were precusors of a lot of features found today in every cameras.

But video isn't Olympus priority, and it's easy to understand. As it's easy to understand why some people are frustrated.

Edit :and if you think I'm a fanboy you're off-base. I shoot Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus, and had shot for years with Canon.

-- hide signature --
honeyiscool
OP honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

If you're accusing me of Olympus fanboying, which is odd considering it's a post that's mostly criticizing Olympus fanboys, where do you stand with Panasonic that arrogantly suggested in a recent interview that they won't bother with IBIS in video?

I like Panasonic a lot but they have made a few decisions that have made me think they don't quite get it yet either. Until they take IBIS in video seriously and have some method for having external mic input on every camera as Olympus have, I'll take low bitrate compromised framerate handheld video w/ external mic over high bitrate perfect framerate jittery handheld video, and no, I can't use a tripod or a Steadicam because that doesn't fit into how I want to work.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads