fairground with E620

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions
108 Contributing Member • Posts: 838
fairground with E620

Hello

I took this shot below at the local fair. Oly E620 with a PanaLeica 1.4.

This is the first time in my short digital photography experience that I used my equipment for this kind of shooting : night, bright electric lights of all different colours, fast moving fairground "rides". Most of what I had done is late evening stills, and this was quite a challenge for me. I must say the metering was OK most of the time, except a few cases where I had to put EV correction ( thank you back lcd ). The lens is a very good lens and did well in my view. I am still amazed that this equipment could render all these different bright colours rather faithfully. Magic of digital photography ;-). Focus was a headache , and I finally settled for speed priority with cdaf , cdaf I had never used. For this shot it was 1/500 with 1250 iso at f1.4. Of 110 shots I threw 90 away back home. This shot I consider barely acceptable. Background noise was terrible and I had to run it through Neat Image ( fine software imo ). I am not very experienced and certainly did a few things wrong, but I think the E620 is not up to the task, sensor and focus wise. I wonder if the last m4/3 would do much better and more comfortably, like the OMD or the EP5, or the latest Pana G's or GH3 ? Or should one consider top APSC's or FF's for this kind of shooting ?

Thanks for your experiences.

108's gear list:108's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
ac921ol Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: fairground with E620

full size image looks better, for a first time I think you did fine, obviously a bigger sensor, different AF would make a difference, but the next person with a better camera, could also say the same thing, just keep shooting.

OP 108 Contributing Member • Posts: 838

That's just what I did.

Thanks for the encouragement

toyak Regular Member • Posts: 167

I think you took some decent shots in a challenging lighting situation. I have an E-620 and that is not the worlds best sensor for low light work with 1/500th shutter speed.

sirharold
sirharold Contributing Member • Posts: 541

I'm not going to beat up on your picture. I had plenty of these in the past. Your missing one tool and that is a hand held light meter. You can grab one off ebay for around 50-75 bucks. This gives you a cheating advantage instead of cranking up your shutter. This is the best tool in my gear bag.

sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +27 more
OP 108 Contributing Member • Posts: 838

sirharold wrote:

I'm not going to beat up on your picture. I had plenty of these in the past. Your missing one tool and that is a hand held light meter. You can grab one off ebay for around 50-75 bucks. This gives you a cheating advantage instead of cranking up your shutter. This is the best tool in my gear bag.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll do some reading on this and I'll get back to you with some questions.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads