Rebel SL1 - Screen function errors

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions
fairfaxian Regular Member • Posts: 256
Rebel SL1 - Screen function errors

I recently purchased the SL1 w/18-55 kit lens. Excellent value, IQ & portability as promised. Certain screen functions have recently started to malfunction:

- I am not getting image review after image capture, no matter what review time setting I select. (I can review images with the review button)

- The Set button no longer summons the shooting functions screen (I shoot in Av mode) so I am not seeing the options for Exposure Comp, F stop, ISO etc.

- The ISO button on top of camera does not function.

The first 2 functions worked flawlessly until about a week ago. I had not used the ISO button before.

I spoke to a Canon tech & selected the "Clear Settings" option under tools, but this did not correct the errors. I'm trying to avoid returning the unit to Canon repair as I know this will take many days to resolve. The Canon tech -seemingly savvy, said he had not heard of this problem & would research further.

I had originally assumed pilot error, but suspect a malfunction at this point. Anyone have similar malfunction? Fixes?

Thanks

WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,599
Re: Rebel SL1 - Screen function errors

fairfaxian wrote:

- I am not getting image review after image capture, no matter what review time setting I select. (I can review images with the review button)

Sounds like your camera is behaving as if Image Review is set to "Off". When you change that setting, do you press the SET button to lock in the new value? If you don't, when you go back there it will show the original value, not the one you wanted.

- The Set button no longer summons the shooting functions screen (I shoot in Av mode) so I am not seeing the options for Exposure Comp, F stop, ISO etc.

You get the Shooting Functions display by pressing the Q button. Do you mean the Shooting Settings display that you get by pressing the INFO. button?

Do you mean that when you press the ISO button and turn the main dial the value doesn't change? Or you don't get the display on the monitor? Try pressing the INFO. button to cycle through the different displays on the monitor and try it with each one.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Steelergeek69
Steelergeek69 Regular Member • Posts: 276
Re: Rebel SL1 - Screen function errorsd

Mine too!

I thought at first it did. When I press shutter and using the viewfinder I don't get the review picture on my LCD.

Also when using viewfinder my settings on the LCD don't show up. Gotta keep pressing the info button. I  have push IQ then info every time I need to use settings. Maybe that's the way it is.

mizunosport Regular Member • Posts: 264
Re: Rebel SL1 - Screen function errorsd

Mine does not do this... If I take a picture it reviews for 2 seconds on the LCD screen.

mizunosport's gear list:mizunosport's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +3 more
mizunosport Regular Member • Posts: 264

What about going into the wrench#4 in the menu and clearing the settings to start from scratch?

mizunosport's gear list:mizunosport's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +3 more
OP fairfaxian Regular Member • Posts: 256

1 When I change the Image Review option I do hit "Q" or "Set". When I return to that menu, the image review is still set to the time I selected. But I no longer get image review after making an image capture. This worked for the first few weeks I had the camera. It no longer functions.

2 The "set" button on camera back IS the "Q" button. Whenever I tapped that button for the first few weeks of use, I got the "Shooting Settings". This no longer operates properly. To get shooting setting menu now, I have to hit "Info" button, THEN hit "set" button.

3 I never used the ISO button previously, as I change ISO through the Shooting Settings menu. But the tech I spoke to at Canon suggested that hitting the ISO button should result in an image display. I don't know about that from experience. But currently the ISO button does not appear to have any function. If I hit Info then ISO, the info window is dismissed. If I do open the Shooting settings button THEN hit ISO, the shooting settings are dismissed.

Canon tech, I hope you are reading this.

WilbaW wrote:

fairfaxian wrote:

Sounds like your camera is behaving as if Image Review is set to "Off". When you change that setting, do you press the SET button to lock in the new value? If you don't, when you go back there it will show the original value, not the one you wanted.

You get the Shooting Functions display by pressing the Q button. Do you mean the Shooting Settings display that you get by pressing the INFO. button?

Do you mean that when you press the ISO button and turn the main dial the value doesn't change? Or you don't get the display on the monitor? Try pressing the INFO. button to cycle through the different displays on the monitor and try it with each one.

WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,599

fairfaxian wrote:

Canon tech, I hope you are reading this.

My guess is there's no chance of that. In my experience those guys only know what they are trained to do and they don't have any idea about the perverse things we come up with.

Your camera sounds pretty messed up. I'd take it back.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Phhoenyxx
Phhoenyxx Senior Member • Posts: 2,507

fairfaxian wrote:

I recently purchased the SL1 w/18-55 kit lens. Excellent value, IQ & portability as promised. Certain screen functions have recently started to malfunction:

I doubt any of these suggestions will help, but I'll give it a go just in case...

Are you using One Shot or burst mode? If you are using burst mode but are only taking one shot at a time and holding down the shutter button shortly after that shot is taken, it could dismiss the image review.

On my camera, the Set button does nothing by default. I need to first give it an option in the Custom Functions for it to do anything. I understand that the SL1 has less buttons so it might be configured differently, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Is Auto ISO enabled? If it is, I don't think the ISO button does anything.

The first 2 functions worked flawlessly until about a week ago. I had not used the ISO button before.

I spoke to a Canon tech & selected the "Clear Settings" option under tools, but this did not correct the errors. I'm trying to avoid returning the unit to Canon repair as I know this will take many days to resolve. The Canon tech -seemingly savvy, said he had not heard of this problem & would research further.

I had originally assumed pilot error, but suspect a malfunction at this point. Anyone have similar malfunction? Fixes?

Thanks

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

"Amp up and amplify! Defy! I'm a brother with a furious mind!"

Phhoenyxx's gear list:Phhoenyxx's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM

My camera seems to have returned to normal function. The shootings settings remain on until sleep. Any activity seems to invoke the screen. Image review is also functioning.

I'm not sure what restored these functions. I THINK it might be the "RETURN" option at the lower left of shooting settings window. THis is a TOGGLE button, and I think that inadvertently tapping it MIGHT have turned off REVIEW and SET button access to shooting settings. Have not had time to test this further.

The only other physical change that coincided with the return to proper function was that I changed from the KIT LENS to my 70-200L lens.

As stated in my original post, resetting the camera functions to default did NOT fix the problem.

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

fairfaxian wrote:

. . .

There are two places on Canon cameras that you need to clear the settings.

On clears the camera settings, the other clears the changes made to the custom functions.

Find and use both 'clears' and see if that fixes the issue.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
c.hammett Forum Pro • Posts: 12,125

Phhoenyxx wrote:

fairfaxian wrote:

I doubt any of these suggestions will help, but I'll give it a go just in case...

Are you using One Shot or burst mode? If you are using burst mode but are only taking one shot at a time and holding down the shutter button shortly after that shot is taken, it could dismiss the image review.

On my camera, the Set button does nothing by default. I need to first give it an option in the Custom Functions for it to do anything. I understand that the SL1 has less buttons so it might be configured differently, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Yes,  on the SL!, CF7 lets you assign a function to the Set button. There are six options,( 0 thru 5) and the first option (0) is for the Quick Control Screen.

Is Auto ISO enabled? If it is, I don't think the ISO button does anything.

Thanks

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

"Amp up and amplify! Defy! I'm a brother with a furious mind!"

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As mentioned in my last post, ALL functions have been restored. The only odd thing is I can't tell HOW. This did NOT occur when I performed the reset.

I thought it might have to do with the "Return" toggle button on the shooting settings window, but this does NOT seem to be the case.

I would like to know how this change occurred/remedied in case of recurrence.

CeriAllen New Member • Posts: 1

Hi

I am having exactly the same problem. My Canon 100D has been fine and then suddenly 2 malfunctions with the screen:

-When using the viewfinder to shoot, the settings do not show up on the LCD screen any more. Even when I keep pressing Q/set, though they used to automatically be there.

-The image no longer automatically shows up on the screen directly after taking a picture (which it used to), I have to press the review images button.

I also tried clearing settings which did nothing.

Sometimes when I turn the camera back on I think the problem is fixed, then it recurs again. It has been doing this for about 2 days.

Did anyone get anywhere with solving this?

simon stahli
simon stahli New Member • Posts: 11

Hi -

I had the exact same problem and managed to solve it.

Some time ago, the rubber eyepiece on my 100D / SL1 broke, and since it’s not an essential part I never bothered to replace it. Then a few days ago I found a Canon eyepiece on the ground - and decided to try it on my camera.

From that moment, my camera started to exhibit the problems you all describe. When I took the eyepiece off, the camera a was back to normal.

It turns out there is an inconspicious sensor at the rear of the camera’s hotshoe, which determines whether someone is looking trough the viewfinder (it’s a rectangular black plastic window). My new rubber eyepiece partially obscured this sensor, so the screen was permanently off.

If you are still using your original eyepiece, maybe check if it has slid upwards a bit (or if there is anything else obstructing the sensor).

Hope this helps!

Simon

Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,966

That's a great piece of information.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
GDB Contributing Member • Posts: 983

well, I'll be!!!  Never thought about the little black rectangle just below the hot shoe.  Great information.  Now I just have to wipe the sunscreen off of mine.

Thanks, Gary

GDB's gear list:GDB's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Spokeydee New Member • Posts: 2

I am having the same issue with the photo review not working and Q button not responding.

If I tap menu and then tap the Q button again, the Q button works. However, once I take a photo. The screen is blank again and the Q button stops working again.

Can someone let me know how to fix it?
There is no firmware update either. This starting happening after about one year of owning the camera.

Spokeydee New Member • Posts: 2

Will test mine out to see if that is the culprit! Thanks.

Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,966

Let us know what happens.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
more cow bell
more cow bell Regular Member • Posts: 260

Our Rebel SL1 was having the same problems described by others (no auto review after taking a photo and Q button not working), and after reading this thread we nudged the eye cup back into place and solved both issues.

Thank you very much for posting the solution in this forum!

more cow bell's gear list:more cow bell's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon G9 X II Fujifilm X-E3 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads