Teleconverter magnification comparison. (5 imgs)

Started Aug 25, 2013 | Photos
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Teleconverter magnification comparison. (5 imgs)

Just playing around here folks.

This is just to show the magnification of different teleconverters. I used the K-5 II along with the Pentax-F*300mm f4.5 lens.

As you can see, and as has been stated before, the Tamron-F 1.4X Pz_AF and the Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF are identical magnification.

Also, as you can see, and as has been stated before, the Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF is less magnification than the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter.

Image #1 - No teleconverter.

Image #2 - Tamron-F 1.4X Pz_AF

Image #3 - Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF

Image #4 - Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF

Image #5 - Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Ian Stuart Forsyth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,785
Re: Teleconverter magnification comparison. (5 imgs)

Nikons 1.7 is more like 1.6

Most TC are not an exact 1.7 1.4 or 2

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 +27 more
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,365

There is my old thread from December, 2011 about real magnification of some TCs.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39999880

P.S. I finally bookmarked it for myself 

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 500mm F4 Sport Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +2 more
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,851
Re: Is Kenko 1.5 a Rebranded Tamron?

Hi Ron:

Is it a possibility that the Kenko 1.5 XTC was made by Tamron?  I just purchased the Kenko this week as my Tamron 1.4 has been slow to focus.

Dale

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
OP brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Dale...

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Ron:

Is it a possibility that the Kenko 1.5 XTC was made by Tamron?  I just purchased the Kenko this week as my Tamron 1.4 has been slow to focus.

Hi Dale,

I remember that a few years ago some folks in this forum were saying that the Tamron, Kenko, and Tokina teleconverters all came from the same place. I can't verify that myself.

If whatever lens you were trying to use the Tamron 1.4X with was slow to focus then it will still be slow to focus with the Kenko 1.5X. If that lens was an SDM lens then be aware that none of the teleconverters (except for the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter) work properly with the SDM lenses. The best way is to prefocus the lens manually to near focus then autofocus to lock on.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,365
Re: Is Kenko 1.5 a Rebranded Tamron?

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Ron:

Is it a possibility that the Kenko 1.5 XTC was made by Tamron? I just purchased the Kenko this week as my Tamron 1.4 has been slow to focus.

Today PF member "traderdrew' wrote in regards of the Kenko 1.5X:

It is the same teleconverter branded as vivitar 1.4x. I tested both on a tripod.

That is what I replied to him:

Vivitar Series-1 1.4x is re-branded Tamron 1.4x Pz- with no PZ contacts implemented. The real magnification of both is 1.34X. If you are saying that Vivitar is also identical to the Kenko 1.5x, it means all three are the same re-branded TC.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 500mm F4 Sport Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +2 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,243

All crystal clear there Ron, nice comparisons.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Nicols Contributing Member • Posts: 865

Thank's Ron.

I just measured the scale increase on your photos:

Tamron: 1.386

Kenko: 1.382

Promaster: 1.532

Pentax: 1.748

(measured on screen with a tape; precision is less then the 3 digits show; should be about 2 digits; the difference between the Tamron and Kenko is not significant).

It is strange: just tested again: my Kenko "Pz-Af TELEPLUS 1.5x SHQ" gives me 1.57x (measured with the Pentax F 100/2.8 macro, at more then 500m of distance). It seems that there has been more then one version of this TC.

Cheers - Klaus

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +16 more
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,851
Re: Dale...

Hi Ron:

The Kenko 1.5 seems to work better than my Tamron 1.4 with SDM lenses; possibly some of the contacts are going.

Dale

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Klaus...

Nicols wrote:

Thank's Ron.

I just measured the scale increase on your photos:

Tamron: 1.386

Kenko: 1.382

Promaster: 1.532

Pentax: 1.748

(measured on screen with a tape; precision is less then the 3 digits show; should be about 2 digits; the difference between the Tamron and Kenko is not significant).

Those numbers fall pretty much in line with what Greyser had previously come up with.

My idea in the OP was just to show a simple visualization. I will still think of the Tamron and Kenko as being 1.4X, and the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter as being 1.7X. However, I will now think of the Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X as being a 1.5X teleconverter.

BTW: If it were not for the painted markings on the teleconverters, you could not visually see any difference between the Vivitar Series 1 1.4X, Tanron-F 1.4X Pz_AF, Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF, and Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF. The only difference that I can see is that the Promaster 1.7X rear element is 25mm and all of the others are 27mm.

It is strange: just tested again: my Kenko "Pz-Af TELEPLUS 1.5x SHQ" gives me 1.57x (measured with the Pentax F 100/2.8 macro, at more then 500m of distance). It seems that there has been more then one version of this TC.

I think that my Kenko and your Kenko would have to be tested at the same distance and with the same lens before you can make a conclusion like that. My shot was at a subject distance of about 75 feet (23 meters).

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Klaus...Groups and Elements...

brandrx wrote:

BTW: If it were not for the painted markings on the teleconverters, you could not visually see any difference between the Vivitar Series 1 1.4X, Tanron-F 1.4X Pz_AF, Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF, and Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF. The only difference that I can see is that the Promaster 1.7X rear element is 25mm and all of the others are 27mm.

In addition:

(1) - The Tamron-F 1.4X Pz_AF has 4 elements in 4 groups.

(2) - The Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF has 5 elements (groups unknown to me).

(3) - The Vivitar Series 1 1.4X has 4 elements in 4 groups.

(4) - The Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF has 4 elements in 4 groups

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Re: Klaus...

brandrx wrote:

I think that my Kenko and your Kenko would have to be tested at the same distance and with the same lens before you can make a conclusion like that. My shot was at a subject distance of about 75 feet (23 meters).

Hi, Ron.

I have tested mine with the DA300, F100 and the Tamron SP 90/2.5, at distances from 0,5m to more then 500m, and I always got scale increases between 1,53 and 1,57x. I have the impression that the lens doesn't have a strong influence on this factor, and the only explanation that I can think of is that my Kenko is different from yours and the one Greyser refers to.

Cheers - Klaus

Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +16 more
Re: Klaus...

Nicols wrote:

brandrx wrote:

I think that my Kenko and your Kenko would have to be tested at the same distance and with the same lens before you can make a conclusion like that. My shot was at a subject distance of about 75 feet (23 meters).

Hi, Ron.

I have tested mine with the DA300, F100 and the Tamron SP 90/2.5, at distances from 0,5m to more then 500m, and I always got scale increases between 1,53 and 1,57x. I have the impression that the lens doesn't have a strong influence on this factor, and the only explanation that I can think of is that my Kenko is different from yours and the one Greyser refers to.

You could very well be correct Klaus. I have no explanation.

EDIT: Since the Tamron, Kenko, and the Promaster are identical in appearance, except for the writing on the side, and the diameter of the rear element, perhpas your's is actually a Promaster 1.7X that has been mislabled, or mine and Greyser's are Tamron's that have been mislabled. What is the diameter of the rear element on your Kenko? Mine is about 27mm (the sme as the Tamron).

BTW: The writing on my Kenko reads "Pz-Af TELEPLUS 1.5X SHQ". This is the same as what you indicated in an earlier post of your's.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Re: Klaus...Groups and Elements...

brandrx wrote

Thank's, Ron.

It seems hard to find out without disassembly, and I prefer not to do that. Using a small LED-lamp, I can see at least seven reflections.

I just made two quick shots of mine (I am afraid that I should have cleaned it; I have been sanding furniture just before). Maybe you can see some difference in size of lenses or construction.

Cheers - Klaus

Re: Klaus...Groups and Elements...

Nicols wrote:

brandrx wrote

Thank's, Ron.

It seems hard to find out without disassembly, and I prefer not to do that. Using a small LED-lamp, I can see at least seven reflections.

I also see seven reflections in mine.

I just made two quick shots of mine (I am afraid that I should have cleaned it; I have been sanding furniture just before). Maybe you can see some difference in size of lenses or construction.

Everything looks identical except for one thing. In your first image it appears that the rear element sticks out a couple of milimeters. Mine is completely level with that black ring with the lines (grooves) around it and has three screws in it. ~ Ron

EDIT: Another quick look at my Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF shows that it too sticks out a couple of millimeters and looks identical to your image below. I also think that if you measured the diameter of the glass that can be seen in the rear of your's, you will find it is probably 25mm, which is the same as the Promaster (my Kenko measures about 27mm).

Cheers - Klaus

-- hide signature --

reflections...

brandrx wrote:

Nicols wrote:

brandrx wrote

Thank's, Ron.

I also see seven reflections in mine.

Damn! This is getting confusing. My Kenko 1.5X shows seven reflections. My Tamron 1.4X and Promaster 1.7X shows six reflections.

Everything looks identical except for one thing. In your first image it appears that the rear element sticks out a couple of milimeters. Mine is completely level with that black ring with the lines (grooves) around it and has three screws in it. ~ Ron

EDIT: Another quick look at my Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7X Pz_AF shows that it too sticks out a couple of millimeters and looks identical to your image below. I also think that if you measured the diameter of the glass that can be seen in the rear of your's, you will find it is probably 25mm, which is the same as the Promaster (my Kenko measures about 27mm).

Cheers - Klaus

-- hide signature --

DaveJC
DaveJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,863

Hi Ron,

I have the Pentax AFA 1.7 TC and just picked up the F* 300 f4.5. Anty tips on getting the most from the pair. Is there a preferred TC that will still let the lens AF with minimum IQ loss.  Any 2x TC that is worth the trouble gets unit down used. A lot of questions but your answers or anyone else's will be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R
Dave...

DaveJC wrote:

Hi Ron,

I have the Pentax AFA 1.7 TC and just picked up the F* 300 f4.5. Anty tips on getting the most from the pair.

After you start using it you will find that prefocusing to a range for what you intend to shoot at will probably be faster than prefocusing to near focus first. For example: Setting your lens at about 20 or 30 feet on the lens for when you are shooting at small birds that have landed. Or setting the lens at 50 to 70 feet if you are shooting at BIF's. Of course high flying eagles and such you might have to set it to 100 feet or so.

Is there a preferred TC that will still let the lens AF with minimum IQ loss.

I prefer the Tamro-F 1.4X Pz_Af or the Kenko 1.5X Pz_Af. However, to save a bunch of money you can pruchase a new Vivitar Series 1 1.4X TC for around US $100. The IQ is not noticiably that much different IMO.

Any 2x TC that is worth the trouble gets unit down used.

I recommend that you just stay away from any 2X TC's with that lens.

A lot of questions but your answers or anyone else's will be appreciated.

So, there you go.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

DaveJC
DaveJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
Re: Dave...

brandrx wrote:

DaveJC wrote:

Hi Ron,

I have the Pentax AFA 1.7 TC and just picked up the F* 300 f4.5. Anty tips on getting the most from the pair.

After you start using it you will find that prefocusing to a range for what you intend to shoot at will probably be faster than prefocusing to near focus first. For example: Setting your lens at about 20 or 30 feet on the lens for when you are shooting at small birds that have landed. Or setting the lens at 50 to 70 feet if you are shooting at BIF's. Of course high flying eagles and such you might have to set it to 100 feet or so.

Amazing, I have been using that TC with my Tamron Adaptall 400mm f4 and never thought to prefocus. That makes sense. I would be coming from a near object to a far one and racking the focus manually while looking through the lens to get in range. This makes so much more sense.

Is there a preferred TC that will still let the lens AF with minimum IQ loss.

I prefer the Tamro-F 1.4X Pz_Af or the Kenko 1.5X Pz_Af. However, to save a bunch of money you can pruchase a new Vivitar Series 1 1.4X TC for around US $100. The IQ is not noticiably that much different IMO.

I bought the lens from group member Fleafly who recommended a Sigma over the Kenko. IQ is the main thing for me. Birds are small enough to start with so the better IQ is worth the price for me. Also waiting for a used IIs to come into my price range. Should not be too long after September announcements.

Any 2x TC that is worth the trouble gets unit down used.

I recommend that you just stay away from any 2X TC's with that lens.

Kind of thought so but doesn't hurt to ask.

A lot of questions but your answers or anyone else's will be appreciated.

So, there you go.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Thanks,  Dave

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R
Re: Dave...

DaveJC wrote:

I bought the lens from group member Fleafly who recommended a Sigma over the Kenko. IQ is the main thing for me. Birds are small enough to start with so the better IQ is worth the price for me. Also waiting for a used IIs to come into my price range. Should not be too long after September announcements.--

There is no Sigma teleconverter that I am aware of that will fit the Pentax-F*300mm f4.5 lens. The protruding front element of the Sigma will hit the rear element of the Pentax and cannot even be mounted.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads