D3X or D800/E

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions
bm bradley Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992
Re: D3X or D800/E

camerashy wrote:

Thanks for some great information and personal comments really appreciate your time in posting

Dave

Dave,

I've read the post about this with some interest as I currently have both the d800 and d3x. I prefer the d3x although the d800 at 36MP creates a nice image, that image does not compare to the d3x image in quality, to my eyes. I find the imagery created from the d3x to be 'beautiful'.

I find the d3x to be effortless to shoot with, while the d800 seems to take some effort my on part. like I need to force the d800 to focus and fire. when the shutter on the d800 does trigger, sounds like an accident not the instant reaction of the d3x.

this is something you might not really won't notice unless you have both cameras right there to compare in the shoot environment. the d3x is 'effortless' to work with. at the end of the day I am not as tired, nor are my eyes as strained.

one issue I did have the d800 was the small size of the body, I need to have the battery grip attached so that my hand will hold the camera without my little finger 'just hanging there'. this was a real issue for me working with the d800. others might not find this to be the case.

one disadvantage to the d3x is lack of SD support and no sensor cleaner however that's not a real deal breaker for me. I will also say the d800 has newer processors so there are advantages there as well, for instance shooting cleanly about 800 ISO. defiantly not something you'll really want to take on with the d3x.

I guess what it comes down to in the end is your area of photography. there are a few definite advantages to the d800, and with possibly a d4x coming out within 6 months a used d3x might not be a good investment for you.

if I sold my d3x now I could get enough to get another d800 I'm sure. however just this week I've decided to stay with the d3x and actually sold the other d800 I had, still in the box, to a friend of mine.

tomorrow I'll start with the d3x and use that body until I need the sensor cleaned, use the d800 for a day or so and switch right back to the d3x.

I hope this answers some of your questions. -BMB

-- hide signature --

'when I ask you what time it is, don't tell me how to build a watch'

bm bradley's gear list:bm bradley's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +1 more
Glen78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

D4X should be released befoe the end of the year and will likely be 48-54mp. Might want to wait for that as it probably will not cost much more than the D3X does now.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 4,059

camerashy wrote:

I'm undecided whether to go for a D3X or D800/E as an upgrade from my D700.

D800.

OP camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies the information provided has been invaluable.

BMB, as above and a big thank you for your detailed reply as the owner of both cameras....some great information.

i have a hand grip with my D700 and like the extra weight and feel and think it gives the camera better balance.

i'm now thinking of the D4 because of the up to date features so may wait until the end of the year to see if a 4x comes out and the 4 reduces in price.

thanks all

dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800

Dave, I sold my d4... totally inappropreate for my shooting needs at 16MP. something to consider if you're not shooting video or high ISO...  BMB

-- hide signature --

Nikon D3X Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +1 more
OP camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503

Hmm!....now you are confusing me...LOL.

Ideally, I want a D700 with 20/24Mp. and I would be happy.

I can see that I need to give this some more thought as I shoot landscapes, architecture and studio work

Thanks

Daves

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Mebyon K
Mebyon K Contributing Member • Posts: 819

camerashy wrote:

Wouldn't we all 

Mebyon K

Mebyon K's gear list:Mebyon K's gear list
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R

if you need 20-24 MP forget the d4... just did a full shoot on the d3x, even my asst commented on how much easier things went ...  I think if you get off the new is better syndrome you'll find the d3x is great for your needs... even the d800...

I need to shoot fast as I shoot models and need much content to sort though...the d3x is the king in this area for me... I've had the d700's and d3s... and d4... have a d800 and d3x now.... the d3x is the best body I've ever used, best imager too  $.02

-- hide signature --

PatFahey Regular Member • Posts: 453
D600???

camerashy wrote:

Isn't that called a D600?

-Pat

Mebyon K
Mebyon K Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: D600???

PatFahey wrote:

camerashy wrote:

Isn't that called a D600?

-Pat

I've handled a D600 in my local camera shop, no it isn't 

-- hide signature --

Mebyon K

Mebyon K's gear list:Mebyon K's gear list
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads