Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions
leicaman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,801
Re: I see the deal is back on?

Nikon gave me a full refund only because my faulty D600 was in AS NEW condition.  If it had shown wear no refund.

Now I know why.

leicaman's gear list:leicaman's gear list
Nikon D810
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Seems like an overreaction

You have to check refurbished cameras. I bought a refurb D600 in the last few months. The AF was screwy. I returned it to the shop and they sent me another one. A couple of thousand shots later it has one spot on the sensor at F22 (which is better than my D800E). I'm not sure your reaction is warranted in this case.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
ron_9
ron_9 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714
Re: Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor

I want you, and those that join in on this, to listen to this very closely--"there are children starving in India and you can't clean your own sensor"       -------just a thought-----ron s.

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

This "deal" was mentioned in a previous thread. Adorama sold about 300 refurbished D600 + 24-85 lens kits for $1599. Hard to ignore, and I rolled the dice and got one for my wife. Unfortunately she will never be able to use this camera, as it's going straight back. Someone made a joke on the other thread about this deal: "yes, I'm sure Nikon has 300 well-oiled machines ready for you", or something to that effect. You sir, were 100% correct. Seems the cynical view of Nikon is becoming very appropriate.

First thing I did was take a blank wall shot at f18, and was completely shocked. Now, I fully expected I'd have a chance at getting a camera that would have "the issue" which we all know and love, that I'd have some FUTURE sensor cleanings.... but here's the thing that burns me more.... what does REFURBISHED mean?? Apparently nothing, because nobody at Nikon ever touched this camera!!! It was obviously simply repackaged and sent back to market. Disgraceful. I hope the image got attached... look at that. A complete debris field of massive proportions. Never seen a sensor so dirty. This was marketed and sold to me as a camera that had been inspected by Nikon. Do you really think so??

I will NOT be going through any ordeal with Nikon to pursue warranty service on this catastrophe of a "deal". Spending more money and time over a clearly flawed camera. It's the brazen attitude of Nikon, falsely representing this as a refurbished D600 that makes me wonder why I want to continue supporting them with my hard earned dollars. The whole sensor issue with the D600 should really be the subject of a class action lawsuit. They will re-sell cameras that are known to be junk... buyer beware.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

OP SnappinOutdoors Junior Member • Posts: 42

Powerful, Ron.  Powerful.  Sent a shiver right up my spine.  Now I want you to listen very closely:  Items with a known issue, like the D600, when they are returned to Nikon with a stated defect and then placed back in a box that says REFURBISHED.... should be.... wait for it.... INSPECTED and REFURBISHED.  Not simply passed to the next guy, hoping they won't notice.  *think about it*

OP SnappinOutdoors Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Seems like an overreaction

So you got a refurb that wasn't tested, either.  Thanks for sharing your feedback.  Glad the 2nd one was good!

MikeInIndy Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

Based on your reactions to everyone who has tried to talk to you sensibly, you'll ignore this too.  But sometimes "refurbished" items don't get refurbished correctly.  It's a fact of life.  Adorama will surely make it right for you and post haste I'd imagine, so quit wasting your valuable time bitching on the internet and get with them, box it up, and wait for the call tag.

I'm actually doing the same thing to a refurbished HP laptop I got on an ebay deal.  It's a piece of junk and I already was borderline buyers remorse about it.  Well now I'm only remorseful for the time it will take to get my refund and box it back up, because they're taking care of me with a full refund.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon 1 V2 +10 more
ron_9
ron_9 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714

Please learn to clean sensor, very similar to cleaning floor mats in cars.   Dust, small particles happen---ron s.

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

Powerful, Ron. Powerful. Sent a shiver right up my spine. Now I want you to listen very closely: Items with a known issue, like the D600, when they are returned to Nikon with a stated defect and then placed back in a box that says REFURBISHED.... should be.... wait for it.... INSPECTED and REFURBISHED. Not simply passed to the next guy, hoping they won't notice. *think about it*

-- hide signature --

Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Perhaps I should go and play with my dolls?

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

So you got a refurb that wasn't tested, either. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Glad the 2nd one was good!

But I guess you threw the toys out of the pram already...

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
RickWheelock Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: Perhaps I should go and play with my dolls?

Just a thought. I know this is stupid to stick my nose into, but here goes.

You have zero evidence that your camera was not inspected. ZERO.

The sensor is dirty. Yep. Happens. Here's what also happens. That camera is not carried on a pillow to your front door. They ship it, UPS, FEDEX treat it like a hockey puck all the way to your house. Trust me.

That's a lot of shaking going on inside that body.

Dirt got knocked loose. Clean it up and move on with your life. Have you bothered to take a picture not at f18 and a blank wall? Mine arrived dirty, in a refurb box. I cleaned it, shoot with it, and it amazes me. Every so often I have to clean it. Now, maybe your shooting requires you to shoot over f11 a lot. I don't. I'm usually at f2.8 to f9, so even when it is dirty I don't see it. Occasionally I've had to edit out spots. I've even lost a few pictures to stuff I just can't get rid of or don't have the time for. That same sort of thing happened on my D50, D80, D90, D7000, and now the D600. I first learned to clean my sensor on the D80.

There you go. Clean it up and shoot. All tools have a flaw. Use the tool and work with it.

RickWheelock's gear list:RickWheelock's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
oklaphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,093

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

Why didn't you spend a couple seconds and just swab it? After cleaning, the sensors in any of my cameras (not Nikons) look like that in a couple of weeks. Being able to clean your sensor is routine for DSLR owners, no different than changing the oil in your car. It's more of a pain to pack up a perfectly good camera, drive to the post office, mail it off, and deal with a return than it is to just clean it.

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

Powerful, Ron. Powerful. Sent a shiver right up my spine. Now I want you to listen very closely: Items with a known issue, like the D600, when they are returned to Nikon with a stated defect and then placed back in a box that says REFURBISHED.... should be.... wait for it.... INSPECTED and REFURBISHED. Not simply passed to the next guy, hoping they won't notice. *think about it*

Every DSLR I have purchased new, from any manufacturer has had some dust on the sensor and many others report the same. It's just something to be expected, especially when it's sooooooooooo easy and quick to clean. The very first thing I do with any new body is clean the sensor, right out of the box. Granted they weren't as bad as your sample, but either way..... There's not a lot of difference between a few spots and what yours has, as both would require cleaning. Besides the fact that in a few weeks of use, after changing lenses a lot.... any DSLR is likely to look like yours does now, even if it had started out clean.

Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 1,801
Can't believe people are defending Nikon

I am blown away by the low standards some of you set for a company with as much accomplishments and history as Nikon.

We don't hear D700, D3 owners bitch about dust. Why? Is it because every D700/D3 owner has already surrendered and has found better things to do? Do D700/D3 owners have more realistic expectations? Do D600 owners have unrealistic expectations? Or maybe it's because the D700 and D3 bodies are better engineered against contamination and the D600 really do have problems.

Dust shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the OP has better things to do than shoot blank walls and come here to whine. I'm sure he would rather NOT have to do it.

I must the only D700 owner on earth that has a flawless sensor after 3 year having never cleaned it.

Re: I agree

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

I will definitely try an exchange. I know it's an exceptional camera when you get hold of a good copy. I'm not concerned about the fanboys... I own more Nikon gear than most on these forums. Just not willing to overlook when these companies start operating in ways that treat good faith and the CUSTOMER as inconveniences. You're right, once that trust is lost, it's all over. Seems they did better on QC with the D7100... hope that is the new normal.

You have no proof that it left Nikon's service center that way. It could have been a demo or have been uboxed by someone before you got it. Someone else could have bought it and returned it, to be reboxed and sold to you by the dealer. Did you check the shutter count? Nikon refurbs come with the shutter count reset to 0. Personally I would be looking at the count, and if it is more than what you have shot with it.. I would exchange it since it would be a dealer error.

I'm not a Nikon fan boy, nor do I own any Nikon gear currently. But having worked at a dealer in years past, my experience has been that Nikon's service center does just as good of work as Canon's or anybody else. Having dealt with every manufactures' centers, being a CPS member, and having colleagues who are NPS members, I can tell you that none of the shops are perfect. But although they are not perfect, the majority of the time they are, and they all pretty much have the same ratio of good:bad service. It doesn't matter what brand you should own, you may encounter an issue. But I highly doubt that the camera left Nikon's service center with a sensor that dirty (although it's not impossible). I've seen hundreds of pieces of gear go in and out of that place. 99% of it was perfect when it came back.

Re: Perhaps I should go and play with my dolls?

Rick.... The evidence is as clear as the crud on the upoper left part of the sensor.  Dust which you say could have been shaken loose during shipping would be evenly distributed.  The dust exhibited here is typical of dusty D600 syndrome .... Thrown into the upper-left of frame by the mirror mechanism.

For the life of me I don't understand why people continue to defend Nikon when they are clearly at fault here and refuse to own up.They are destroying a 70 tear reputation and it's hard to watch.  Sad.

If YOU had gotten a bad camera you would I'd wager be singing a different tune.

Nikon D810

Dear Okla.... Having had one a duster D600 like this I'd like to tell you that it's not that simple.  Normal dust IS easy to clean... even oil.  Yes... ALL DSLRs get dusty and dirty... but few throw so much dust and oild that they must be cleaned every 30-40 cycles like mine.  This problem goes way beyond normal.  If all DSLRs had this problem I guarantee we would all still be using film.

Nikon D810
Re: Can't believe people are defending Nikon

Bing Chow wrote:

I must the only D700 owner on earth that has a flawless sensor after 3 year having never cleaned it.

You must not use it much, change lenses much, or especially use it in any remotely adverse conditions.

Radu Tenenbaum
Radu Tenenbaum Senior Member • Posts: 2,904
Re: I agree

oklaphotog wrote:

Did you check the shutter count? Nikon refurbs come with the shutter count reset to 0.

I don't believe that's the case.  My D800 refurb did not have a zero shutter count, and from reading posts in other threads, others who have received refurbs over time have also reported a shutter count greater than zero.

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +7 more
Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 1,801
Re: Can't believe people are defending Nikon

I admit to being a light user, only 17000 actuations. I have mostly zooms so I don't change lens often. And when I do, it's fast. I don't leave the body "open" while I admired the view or take a sip of coffee. The body is attached to a lens full time in storage.

But I still refuse to believe all these dirty D600 are a result of heavy use.

Re: Not the two I bought

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

Glad to hear it, vvk. Wish I had been as fortunate. What I'm trying to insinuate is the weirdness of this refurbished "batch of 300" that Adorama only sold on Ebay. Makes one wonder.

Did they say they were factory refurbished by Nikon? You know they could have been refurbished by an independent repair center.

When people return cameras to the dealer, Nikon USA does not take them back from the dealer. The only way Nikon USA takes back a camera is if it was found to be "in-store defective", not found defected after it left the dealer. Once it goes out of the dealers door's, Nikon (and everybody else) expects it to be dealt with via warranty. Because of this, many dealers will repackage it and resell it to someone else if it looks unmolested. Dealers at most make 10% on a camera body before factoring processing fees of the credit card and everything else, therefore many will do whatever they have to do to sell it without taking a loss.

leicaman wrote:

Dear Okla.... Having had one a duster D600 like this I'd like to tell you that it's not that simple. Normal dust IS easy to clean... even oil. Yes... ALL DSLRs get dusty and dirty... but few throw so much dust and oild that they must be cleaned every 30-40 cycles like mine. This problem goes way beyond normal. If all DSLRs had this problem I guarantee we would all still be using film.

Actually most of the Nikon oil slingers, clean up in a couple thousand shots. This problem is not unique to the D600, but many other Nikon's in recent years, especially the D7000. Also we have no idea if that is oil on the sensor. You don't know if it's oil until you go to clean it. If it's oil, it will almost always leave a smear after the first swab. I just think that jumping to conclusions that it *was/is* Nikon's fault is premature. There could be many reasons why the sensor is that dirty. It very well could have been sold, returned, reboxed, and sold again after it left Nikon. Checking the shutter count will give the answer as only Nikon can reset it and all Nikon refurbs leave with the count reset to zero.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads