Help with voigtlander lenses on M8

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions
cyberguy Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Help with voigtlander lenses on M8

Hi to everyone this day!
I need some expert advice on using my Voigtlander lenses (Epson Rd-1X) on my newly purchased M8.  My Skopar 35 2.5 (Screw mt fitted in an adapter) brings up the 28mm frame.  My 40mm 1.5 brings up the 50mm frame.  How can I get this straightened out?  I am wondering if the adapter that came with the lens is wrong.

Thanks for any help!

-- hide signature --

Gleaming the Cube as always,
Jim

cyberguy's gear list:cyberguy's gear list
Leica M8.2
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,403
Re: Help with voigtlander lenses on M8

cyberguy wrote:

Hi to everyone this day!
I need some expert advice on using my Voigtlander lenses (Epson Rd-1X) on my newly purchased M8. My Skopar 35 2.5 (Screw mt fitted in an adapter) brings up the 28mm frame. My 40mm 1.5 brings up the 50mm frame. How can I get this straightened out? I am wondering if the adapter that came with the lens is wrong.

For the screw mount lens, the adapter is probably incorrect.

40mm lenses on the Ms always bring up the 50mm frame lines, there are no 40mm frame lines in any body but a CL. What many people do is file the frameline tang on the lens flange (just a very little bit) so that it brings up the 35mm frame lines, or just get used to framing with the camera showing the 50mm frame lines. You can guesstimate it by toggling back and forth between the 35 and 50 frame lines with the lever until you get a good feel for what the right framing is.

Oh yes, and Voigtländer makes a 40mm OVF as well, if you really want a more precise framing tool.

-- hide signature --
Arizona74 New Member • Posts: 14

Thanks Godfrey,

I will have to get another adapter. I will do more research on the tang thing. Sounds like something I can do.  Have a great night

Arizona74's gear list:Arizona74's gear list
Ricoh RDC-i700 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp1 Quattro Kodak DCS Pro 14n Leica M8.2 +4 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,403

Arizona74 wrote:

Thanks Godfrey,

I will have to get another adapter. I will do more research on the tang thing. Sounds like something I can do. Have a great night

I recommend the Voigtländer LTM to M adapters. They're the best available nowadays, and the type II have a channel which makes it possible to set the code for the lens as well.

Here's a bit of info on modifying the Nokton 40 to bring up the 35mm frame lines. Note: I have NOT done this myself, so read and consider the risks.

-- hide signature --
bosjohn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890

cyberguy wrote:

Hi to everyone this day!
I need some expert advice on using my Voigtlander lenses (Epson Rd-1X) on my newly purchased M8. My Skopar 35 2.5 (Screw mt fitted in an adapter) brings up the 28mm frame. My 40mm 1.5 brings up the 50mm frame. How can I get this straightened out? I am wondering if the adapter that came with the lens is wrong.

Thanks for any help!

did you buy the lenses new from voigtlander? if so the thirtyfive should have an adapter that brings the 35mm frame line up and the forty should have brought up the thirty five as well. There are only three permutations of keying for the frame lines so your forty is almost fifty on the m8 which should work. the 35mm lens is more of a problem

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

OP cyberguy Contributing Member • Posts: 695

I will have to look at the adapters. I am not sure what brand is on there now.  I will try the "modification" on the flange for the 40mm.  The field of view is more similar to the 35mm frame.

Thanks for the advice

-- hide signature --

Jim

Leica M8.2
OP cyberguy Contributing Member • Posts: 695

I bought the lens new from Camera Quest with no adapter.  I bought a cheaper adapter on line.  I might of bought the wrong one for a Leica because I originally  purchased it for an R-d1x at the time.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Leica M8.2
bosjohn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890

cyberguy wrote:

I bought the lens new from Camera Quest with no adapter. I bought a cheaper adapter on line. I might of bought the wrong one for a Leica because I originally purchased it for an R-d1x at the time.

if memory servers the shrink factor on the m8 is 1.33 so your 40 mm thinks its a a 53mm lens. If as you say its bringing up the fifty frame line it about the best you can do leave it alone, the 35mm should also bring up the fifty frame line as it also thinks its about 47 mm.

remember that your frame lines are very optimistic at normal focusing distances and will include more in the frame then your getting on the sensor. your thirty five mm lens will be just about perfect at normal focusing distances. I wouldn't worry to much about the lines they are only accurate at the closest focusing distences. when using the forty you wil have more in the frame then on the sensor and with the thirtyfive you will have slightly more in the frame but very close except for the closest focusing range in which case leave a little room around the edges of your composition.

bottom line both your lenses should key the 50 mm frame line for use on the M8

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads