(1dx) Best way to use flash in Av mode?

Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions
rbarta Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: (1dx) Best way to use flash in Av mode?

AlanPezz wrote:

I have a 6D. There is a menu setting to controlol the speedlight attached to the hot show. There are three options for shutter speed when in Av mode. The default is automatic. Option 2 is the limit the shutter speed between 1/60 and sync speed (1/180 on the 6D). The third option is the shoot at sync speed. You should have the same choice in your camera.

Good tip.  I forgot about that and the first thing I did was set mine at sync speed (1/250) in Av because I hated the way it was set up.

But I don't use Av anymore now that I've learned that you are controlling 2 exposures and separating your subject from the background with light/dark a little or a lot or just bringing your subject up to the background lighting.  I used to just use a flash for dimly lit subjects, now I control the whole image.  Control the background exposure with M everything (iso, aperture, shutter speed) and control the subject lighting with usually ETTL on the flash(es) set their relative levels and FEC, sometimes you have to go manual on them too.  This all may seem very simplistic to those who have been controlling (not just using) a flash for years as is the video I posted above, but it is really easy once you know what you are doing.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Zee Char wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

That is due to the foot design of the 580II. If it is slighly loose and breaks contact it will revert to TTL which is for film. Canon re-desinged the foot and you can get it for about $50. Very easy to change. The original foot can also be adjusted for a tighter fit.

Thanks for tip.  Yap, my 580EX II pins are those of old rounded ones.  Where I can buy the part of new pins to change myself?  I see a few listed in eBay.

-- hide signature --
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,407

rbarta wrote:

AlanPezz wrote:

I have a 6D. There is a menu setting to controlol the speedlight attached to the hot show. There are three options for shutter speed when in Av mode. The default is automatic. Option 2 is the limit the shutter speed between 1/60 and sync speed (1/180 on the 6D). The third option is the shoot at sync speed. You should have the same choice in your camera.

Good tip. I forgot about that and the first thing I did was set mine at sync speed (1/250) in Av because I hated the way it was set up.

But I don't use Av anymore now that I've learned that you are controlling 2 exposures and separating your subject from the background with light/dark a little or a lot or just bringing your subject up to the background lighting. I used to just use a flash for dimly lit subjects, now I control the whole image. Control the background exposure with M everything (iso, aperture, shutter speed) and control the subject lighting with usually ETTL on the flash(es) set their relative levels and FEC, sometimes you have to go manual on them too. This all may seem very simplistic to those who have been controlling (not just using) a flash for years as is the video I posted above, but it is really easy once you know what you are doing.

That is the first key element in flash photography - realizing your camera and your flash have two separate jobs. Next is understanding the physics of light. There no magic bullets.

http://russellspixelpix.blogspot.ca/2008/11/flash-diffusers-no-need-to-spend-big.html

Last is making the flash exposure look like you did not use a flash.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more

qianp2k wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

That is due to the foot design of the 580II. If it is slighly loose and breaks contact it will revert to TTL which is for film. Canon re-desinged the foot and you can get it for about $50. Very easy to change. The original foot can also be adjusted for a tighter fit.

Thanks for tip. Yap, my 580EX II pins are those of old rounded ones. Where I can buy the part of new pins to change myself? I see a few listed in eBay.

Canon parts USA is your best bet from getting ripped off.

1-866-481-2569

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more

Zee Char wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Thanks for tip. Yap, my 580EX II pins are those of old rounded ones. Where I can buy the part of new pins to change myself? I see a few listed in eBay.

1-866-481-2569

or this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjk9wg3B2w8

Zee Char wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

1-866-481-2569

or this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjk9wg3B2w8

Thanks lots Zee.  I will get one and replace myself.

-- hide signature --
AOKH
AOKH Senior Member • Posts: 2,675

qianp2k wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

Thanks lots Zee. I will get one and replace myself.

I have the older, rounded version as well. However, my disiplay always show ETTL, so I assume there is no real need to do anything?!

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more

AOKH wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

I have the older, rounded version as well. However, my disiplay always show ETTL, so I assume there is no real need to do anything?!

Not happen very often but occasionally. But FEC always fixes the issue when it happened - FEC to a different value and FEC back to original value from camera. By using more powerful battery, keep cleaning hotshoe interface and reseating usually help to fix or reduce the issue. I am wondering by replacing with pointed pins to give more pressure to tighten up the contact, the flashgun probably will work more reliably anyway. It's a known issue to many on 580EX II. But I probably don't have time to replace it before I heading to Africa on 30th of this month where I intend to use often if necessary to fill-flash with BB mounted on telephoto-lens bracket.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

-- hide signature --

AOKH wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

If it does not switch over then there is no need.

AOKH

Zee Char wrote:

If it does not switch over then there is no need.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more
AOKH

qianp2k wrote:

Not happen very often but occasionally. But FEC always fixes the issue when it happened - FEC to a different value and FEC back to original value from camera. By using more powerful battery, keep cleaning hotshoe interface and reseating usually help to fix or reduce the issue. I am wondering by replacing with pointed pins to give more pressure to tighten up the contact, the flashgun probably will work more reliably anyway. It's a known issue to many on 580EX II. But I probably don't have time to replace it before I heading to Africa on 30th of this month where I intend to use often if necessary to fill-flash with BB mounted on telephoto-lens bracket.--

Thanks. I always use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs, which I think are about the best you can get (aside from battery packs).

Have a great trip to Africa.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

michonn
michonn Contributing Member • Posts: 633

Ludvig wrote:

Why don't you use High Speed Sync for the flash? I guess the shutter is flashing in the viewfinder because the shutter speed is too low. Press the third button on the flash until you see the flash symbol and a H next to it.

I just tried, and a shutter of 1/5000 sec. at f/1.2 works fine. Also 1/60 sec. at f/1.2 gave a good result with the flash (AV mode, ISO100).

10/10 !!!!!!!

michonn's gear list:michonn's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +2 more
AnthonyL Senior Member • Posts: 2,891

Ludvig wrote:

Why don't you use High Speed Sync for the flash? I guess the shutter is flashing in the viewfinder because the shutter speed is too low. Press the third button on the flash until you see the flash symbol and a H next to it.

I've been trying to follow this. Where was it said the shutter is flashing in the view finder? As far as I recall the OP talked about slow shutter speeds only.

shutter speed not particularly fast (sometimes 1/25)

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Re: One of my favourite videos

on the subject. Outdoors but he uses HSS. Videos - Tutorials - Lighting Tutorial.

http://www.stansphotos.com

Re: In case anyone is interested

here is one of the better videos that explains how HSS works. It is a Pocket Wizard ad but the animations are very good.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/pocketwizard_controltl_optimiz/

Zee Char wrote:

here is one of the better videos that explains how HSS works. It is a Pocket Wizard ad but the animations are very good.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/pocketwizard_controltl_optimiz/

Forgot turn on HSS could ruin your photos that happened to me when I was wondering why my fill-flash portrait photos were overblown outdoor when I used fast lens.  I since stick a yellow note on all my flashguns "HSS"   HSS should be on all the time as at X-sync shutter speed or below, it will use full strength of flash anyway and only on reduced strength when shutter is above X-sync.  Don't understand why Canon flashguns have this option by default turning off or after everytime you removed battery for recharging for example.

-- hide signature --

qianp2k wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

Forgot turn on HSS could ruin your photos that happened to me when I was wondering why my fill-flash portrait photos were overblown outdoor when I used fast lens. I since stick a yellow note on all my flashguns "HSS" HSS should be on all the time as at X-sync shutter speed or below, it will use full strength of flash anyway and only on reduced strength when shutter is above X-sync. Don't understand why Canon flashguns have this option by default turning off or after everytime you removed battery for recharging for example.

That would be a helpful feature.

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,263

AOKH wrote:

Beware of bent hot shoe sockets. For example the hot shoes on Canon off-camera flash cords are made of thin metal (unlike the hot shoes on their cameras). A heavy flash can put enough stress on the metal to bend the corners up so the rear of the flash doesn't make contact. This is when the flash will start to wobble and put itself in TTL mode. I dread seeing this.

The workaround is to bend the corners of the hot shoe back down (on a $70 product!), or alternatively purchase a cheap third party cord that has a hot shoe with thicker metal.

This isn't usually a problem with recent Canon cameras since their hot shoes are made of thick metal.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
AOKH

Scott Larson wrote:

AOKH wrote:

Beware of bent hot shoe sockets. For example the hot shoes on Canon off-camera flash cords are made of thin metal (unlike the hot shoes on their cameras). A heavy flash can put enough stress on the metal to bend the corners up so the rear of the flash doesn't make contact. This is when the flash will start to wobble and put itself in TTL mode. I dread seeing this.

The workaround is to bend the corners of the hot shoe back down (on a $70 product!), or alternatively purchase a cheap third party cord that has a hot shoe with thicker metal.

This isn't usually a problem with recent Canon cameras since their hot shoes are made of thick metal.

Thanks for the explanation, Scott. Would you put the 5DII in the "recent" category?

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads