E M1 on Fourthirds Rumors

Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,022
Re: Hello upgrade! - Well perhaps another camera.

Craig from Nevada wrote:

greyowl750 wrote:

O baby! Bring on the army of used E-5's !! Ebay, here I come.

I was thinking that the camera would have the opposite effect. In contrast to the E-3 and E-5 upgrades, it is unclear if the EM-1 is truly an upgrade/substitute to the E-5. I think we will know more in the months ahead as people use it and become aware of its strengths and weaknesses.

People who currently own an E-5 might buy a EM-1, but may not part with the E-5 until they are sure it is a substitute/upgrade over their E-5. I think the nature photographers are going to have a struggle with this. I think the landscape will jump more readily. Letting go of the last FT camera and DSLR won't come easy.

Agreed.  I own the E-5, and am not selling it.  I may purchase the EM-1 should it deliver improvement in low light and fast auto focus situations.  Between the two I might just be able to expand my horizons.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II
travlinhoosier Regular Member • Posts: 193
This is a route forward for our lenses. I'd have preferred an E7 but that doesn't seem

to be in the cards and between us and the m43 folks this should get upgraded for some years ahead.  I'll hope it's big enough to hold my 50-200 gracefully and if not I may get the battery grip; hope I don't need to.  Otoh with wifi and all it might go through battery faster.

travlinhoosier's gear list:travlinhoosier's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Re: "the autofocus is nearly as fast on 43rds as it is on m43rds"

Yes, I agree. There are some cases where my EM5 definitely focuses faster than my E5 already (in some low light, for instance). The main difference is focusing precision. With the E5 I have a sharp point, with the EM5 a fairly large square. I image the EM1 will allow the sharp point again, and the addition of face detection is very welcomed by me too (it does face detection with 4/3 lenses already, but by they time they focus, the face has usually moved).

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

GBC Senior Member • Posts: 1,258
Continuous autofocus?

The e5 with grip isn't half bad with CAF, I hope this camera can at least match it.

Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,707

You can make the focusing point 14x smaller on the E-M5 though sometimes it is still too big.

The new E-P5 has the point focusing option like the Panasonic cameras so I think it likely that this camera will also have that option.

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Roger Engelken
Re: E M1 on Fourthirds Rumors

CollBaxter wrote:

goblin wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

I remember when the E-5 came out and many reported that the GH2 focuses slightly faster with the right lens. With many micro4/3 lenses the elements are smaller and lighter and made to focus super fast.

Fingers crossed and the 4/3rds lenses focusing quickly.

Indeed. For owning both the E-5 + 12-60mm and an EM-5 with its 12-50mm, if AF speed in good conditions is the only criteria used - the EM5 combo whips the E-5 + 12-60mm combination a bit like the Hulk whipped Loki across the floor in a well known movie. It's just that it's less reproducible when conditions get worse.

I am just so p*ed about the screen articulation (if it's an EM5 like one, which it seems to be). Plus, they could have put an onboard flash, or at least some sort of onboard RC controller. A little LED light, anything that could control RC flashes. The awful add on flash of the EM5 is very impractical.

Nice buy on the E-5. I might consider another one myself. I do have the E-30 as backup though.

CAF is gong to be the clincher for me, Being a BIG long lenses user it looks a bit small , imagine the 90-250 + EC20 + MMf3 on that size body . Ieeeesh. But then again Olympus does not seem that interested in long lenses at the moment. The other point is how well will it work with the EC's

My mention of the lack of buttons on the back says that most things will be buried in a menu somewhere. There was a thread in one of the canon pro forums where a lot of people did not like a flippy screen because it took button space away from the correct button places on the back of the camera I first though it was being pedantic and then I picked up the E-5 and checked how I shot and realized I use a lot of the buttons even the ones on the left side.

I do not see this as a E-5 replacement for my type of shooting. The new OMD does not look much bigger than the EM5 it appears to have a bigger grip though.

Here is where the problem lies for the long lens 4/3 users.

E-5 + 90-250 keep in mind we normally attach a grip.

E-420 + 90-250

OMD +MMF +90-250

E-5+90-250

E-420 +90-250

OMD + 90-250

This is the E-30 + EC20 + 90-250

E-30+EC20+90-250 Keep in mind most of us use a grip as well.Yea its big but you should see the canon/nikon version.

Well I suppose we will have to wait and see what transpires but the video did not give me a warm felling on the size I would like. I suppose every one can't be made happy and I will get the shut up and be happy with what I am given . ( The greater good. ) If its the E-420 size it might do with a added grip. The grip on the new OMD does seem bigger than the E-420

I do see Olympus problem with sizing make it to big and it will pee off the m4/3 people. Make it to small and it will pee off the 4/3 people. Seeing as they have practically abandoned 4/3 guess which way its going to go.

Lets see what transpires " don't worry be happy" .

-- hide signature --

--
Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

Well not all of us can land the ZD 90-250 for the equivalent of $1,200 USD.  

I rented that lens once and even on the E-5 with grip she is a mighty big piece of lens.  

Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724
I wonder.

If this camera can do PDAF and CDAF i wonder if it will have lens calibration in PDAF mode. ?

Just a though as most of my lenses need a bit of tweaking.

-- hide signature --

Collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Re: I wonder.

You shouldn't need it if you are doing PDAF off the sensor.

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Eamon Hickey Veteran Member • Posts: 3,998
GPS log is 99% likely

travlinhoosier wrote:

just not sure how soon. I hope the wifi is such that it can, or will after an upgrade, take GPS position from a smart phone as pics are taken and insert them into the pics.

I don't know for sure, but I'll be amazed if it doesn't. The E-P5 can do that now; it's a feature of Olympus Image Share, the smartphone app that works with WiFi on Olympus Pen cameras. I'm guessing the same app will be used for all Olympus WiFi-to-smartphone systems.

The drawback, and it's significant, is that you have to have GPS turned on and active all the time on your phone, meaning the battery drains very, very quickly (at least on my iPhone).

Snowbird_UT Contributing Member • Posts: 946
Thanks Roger!

I missed the original before it was taken down.
--
Cheers,
Snowbird_UT

3dwag
3dwag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
Re: This is a route forward for our lenses. I'd have preferred an E7 but that doesn't seem

travlinhoosier wrote:

to be in the cards and between us and the m43 folks this should get upgraded for some years ahead. I'll hope it's big enough to hold my 50-200 gracefully and if not I may get the battery grip; hope I don't need to. Otoh with wifi and all it might go through battery faster.

I can tell you that my 50-200 handles nicely in my hands on my E-M5 with the accessory grip added.  Lenses that size, I tend to cradle the lens in my left hand to handle most of the weight and bulk anyway, even on my E-5.

It remains to be seen what the battery life will be like.  There is always the additional battery grip which one may add.

I can smell an upgrade in the air...just in time for Christmas?

-- hide signature --
 3dwag's gear list:3dwag's gear list
Apple iPhone 6s Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II +22 more
3dwag
3dwag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
Thank you for posting, Mark...

By the time I saw 43rumors the video had been taken down, so thank you for re-posting it for us.

-- hide signature --
 3dwag's gear list:3dwag's gear list
Apple iPhone 6s Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II +22 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549

Yeah, I imagine that's one advantage of pdaf on sensor. Should be calibrated by design. Not that you won't still see missed focus in some conditions.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724

Olymore wrote:

You shouldn't need it if you are doing PDAF off the sensor.

PDAF is PDAf whether you use the detectors are on the sensor of or under the mirror. The micro calibration was there to correct short coming on various lenses as some back focus and some font focus and a few focus correctly. On sensor PDAf does not overcome the short comings of the 4/3 lens and the way it driven as I understand it. The problem with the 4/3 lens on m4/3 is the incompatibility with the drive's on the lenses.

-- hide signature --

Collin

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
GBC Senior Member • Posts: 1,258
Re: E M1 on Fourthirds Rumors

I bet the new camera will be big enough for my 90-250 and tc20. I am more worried about the CAF, but who knows, maybe that works better than on the E5!!

I find the em5 with grip and the 150 F2 to be a nice combo. I think the added heft of the new body would allow for adequate 90-250 lens use.
I actually tried the focus speed of the 90-250 with tc1.4 and the em5 and it was surprisingly quick.

I am still hoping for some news about an E7..... with mirror.
Maybe Sony can just make an DSLR with an 4/3rds mount.

Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 4,264

Rriley wrote:

"the autofocus is nearly as fast on 43rds as it is on m43rds"

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Yes I heard that bit too.

A bit of a fly in the appointment but I suppose we'll see soon enough what the AF speeds are really going to be.

In any case I'm sure there will be an EM-1 in my bag as son as they hit the shelves.

The grip looks deeeeepppp.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

SteveS58 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681
Re: Olympus EM-1

Hopefully this is the camera all four thirds users have been praying for.  I love my Zuiko lenses...

Nice...m4/3, maybe so?!?

I just shot a wedding and used an E5, E3, and, EM-5 (all with grips).

I had 14-35/FL-50R on E5 and 35-100 on E3.

I've done entire weddings with only a 12-60 but brought out and used the heavy stuff for a particular reason.

I decided this job was going to be a test to see if "I" could/should/shouldn't/couldn't shelve the 4/3 gear and use m4/3 only.

I had spent a exclusive sessions with the EM-5 (and 75 1.8, 45 1.8) to see if "I" (meaning results that satisfied me) could use m4/3 for hired work. Answer was...sure why not. Otherwise the second shooter would have used an E1 with 50/2.

The EM-5 was given to second shooter and had on the 75 1.8 all day indoor and outdoor. the 45 1.8 and 12-50(just in case?) were in the bag but not used.

I slung the 2 big guns all day.

When there were lulls I was looking at the EM-5 files and I liked very much what I was seeing.

Very much so that I now know I really absolutely do not 'need' to be hauling around the big heavy guns/glass other than for show.

the 75 1.8 and 45 1.8 (which I bought in black..nice) are funtastic and with EM-5 (i only have an EM-5) get results that satisfy me.

side note-now I really need to see how the m4/ 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 compare with the 4/3 equivalent. I do like the extra stop though of the 4/3 2.0s. maybe Oly makes some m4/3 2.0 zooms for the Pro m/4/3?

I'm quite sure that I do not need to fret about an E5 replacement. What I am fretting about now is whether (where and when) to unload all the 4/3 gear.

the big OVFs are great but there are appreciable advantages with EVFs.  if the EVF4 is what 'they' say it is, then it may be good enough for me.

Will wait to see what the EM-1 officially can do but I'm sure it'll be more than I need and more than satisfactory.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

what use is GPS for a photo?

I've worked in the GIS industry for years. I've spent years out in the field wearing/carrying/using GPS gear collecting GPS data.

I know what GPS is.

Why do folks want(need?) GPS on their camera ( I should say what GPS function(s)?)

GPS data so one can say "Oh yeah, I forgot but now I know that picture was shot in Hawaii?"

I'm not being snarky...I honestly haven't got the foggiest idea what benefit GPS data adds to a photo(other then what I mentioned above) so I'd like to know what else can there be?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Roger Engelken
Re: what use is GPS for a photo?

Paul Auclair wrote:

I've worked in the GIS industry for years out in the field wearing/carryingusing GPS gear collecting GPS data.

I know what GPS is.

Why do folks want(need?) GPS on their camera ( I should say what GPS function(s)?)

GPS data so one can say "Oh yeah, I forgot but now I know that picture was shot in Hawaii?"

I'm not being snarky...I honestly haven't got the foggiest idea what benefit GPS data adds to a photo so I'd like to know.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Hopefully it would help me remember where I took the shot, and perhaps chronicle my travels.  I have never used it, but that is what comes to mind.  Now the location, as well as the time, can be identified and encoded.  It probably comes down to the gear thing of wanting the latest and the greatest, whatever that is.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads