RX100/RX100M2 tips and tricks - any to share?

Started Aug 16, 2013 | Discussions
Trafford
Trafford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255
Re: RX100/RX100M2 tips and tricks - any to share?

Forwardfold wrote:

Sean's right, if voltage matches, and mA is equal or larger, any device will only draw what it needs.

Just for completeness and to drag this out some more there are some situations where it may not be so straightforward. Two examples:

• The device (iPad, RX100, whatever) tells the power source something about what kind of power it wants to receive. There are USB standards and ad hoc conventions around this. Apple for example looks for a particular impedance across the various USB lines to decide what kind of power to deliver to the load. This is on its inexpensive 5V USB chargers. The USB consortium has some published standards around this. In a more sophisticated setup the power source and load exchange data on the USB data lines about what kind of power to deliver.
  • The power source is intelligent and modulates the power in some way on detecting a load and its loading characteristics. A simple example is some kind of controlled current source that assumes a NiMH battery charging profile on detecting a load current of so many mA.

Having said all of that, I looked at the specs of the Sony external power supply for the RX100/M2 and it in all respects looks like a "dumb" 5V, maximum 1500 mA source.

Peter

"We are not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

OP Forwardfold Regular Member • Posts: 142

Interesting diagrams!    Do you have a link to more?     Peter

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,704

Trafford wrote:

Well, the cheapo pieces of crap never let me down, for any camera, for any charger, for any battery.

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Trafford
Trafford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Trafford wrote:

Well, the cheapo pieces of crap never let me down, for any camera, for any charger, for any battery.

Elliott

Same here,  I use them for charging my generic batteries, just questioning the
wisdom of hooking them up to an expensive camera to charge the battery that
could be safely charged externally.

Just don't get your heart pacemaker on line.:-)

Re: RX100/RX100M2 tips and tricks - DARKER EXPOSURE BRACKETING

Trafford wrote:

Just don't get your heart pacemaker on line.:-)

LOL, thanks for that.

DARKER EXPOSURE BRACKETING

I have shot many bracketed shots, +/- .3, and +/- .7

I find I never use the overexposed lighter version, but will occasionally use the underexposed darker version. They may look darker as Icons, but, when larger, the colors and blacks are so much richer.

SOOO, I started adjusting the exposure -.3 first, then using the bracketing. The overexposed version is what would have been the 'normal' exposure, and you get 2 darker versions.

Still playing with it, to see which situations it helps with.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Bev Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: RX100/RX100M2 How to Set Up AEL, auto exposure lock

Elliott, thanks for this tip!  Followed your instructions.  It is VERY handy being able to lock the exposure so quickly.

Maybe you know.... Is there a way on the RX100M2 to set up the equivalent to back-button focusing on a DSLR?

Bev

Bev's gear list:Bev's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more

Bev:  in another post in this thread I provided a link on how to set up your camera for video shooting.  The author sets up one of the rocker pad buttons to toggle in between AF and MF.    Works well. That's the closest I've seen.

Try also using focus tracking via the center button when composing.

Peter

Forwardfold wrote:

Bev: in another post in this thread I provided a link on how to set up your camera for video shooting. The author sets up one of the rocker pad buttons to toggle in between AF and MF. Works well. That's the closest I've seen.

Peter

Here is the link:

http://rungunshoot.com/how-to-set-up-your-sony-rx100-for-cinematic-video/

Peter

Re: RX100/RX100M2 tips and tricks - SHIRT POCKET with NECK STRAP

SHIRT POCKET with NECK STRAP thread started by Karl Scharf

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3533958

How to video, courtesy of Mike Carroccio

Here is a video on how to make the neck lanyard. In this video he is making one for a hunting knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwR52_KCXYs

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Forwardfold wrote:

Forwardfold wrote:

Bev: in another post in this thread I provided a link on how to set up your camera for video shooting. The author sets up one of the rocker pad buttons to toggle in between AF and MF. Works well. That's the closest I've seen.

Peter

Here is the link:

http://rungunshoot.com/how-to-set-up-your-sony-rx100-for-cinematic-video/

Peter

Thanks for the reply, Peter!  I just experimented with focus tracking and that is essentially what I was looking for!  I don't even have to reprogram a button for it. 

Thanks again!

Bev

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Re: RX100/RX100M2 TITLE YOUR TIP HERE

This is a great thread, and will be a valuable resource for years I think.

If you name your tip, in the title bar top of your post, it will be easy to find a specific tip in the future. If you reply to a specific tip, leaving the title makes sense

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: RX100/RX100M2 tips and tricks - DMF and MF Focus Modes

I started learning both DMF and Manual Focus, it is easier than I thought. I learned it bit by bit. First, the 2 methods, then the menu set up. (Have a second battery ready while learning these).

a. DMF, Dynamic Manual Focus, combines auto focus with manual focus refinement.

After you frame your shot, try not to move the camera (when focus is magnified, you cannot see the whole scene for framing).

Press shutter button half way down and hold it down, camera auto pre-focuses. You need to keep the button half pressed in DMF until you finish the shot

Turn front control ring (only a small amount needed as it is already pre-focused). The view will be magnified, you can see and refine the focus while magnified, Focus Peaking will show, finish the shot.

b. MF, Manual Focus, You do not press the shutter button half way down, you go straight to the control ring. More movement of the ring is involved. Move it a good bit abruptly to get it 'started', then small movements to refine the focus.

After you frame your shot, try not to move the camera (when focus is magnified, you cannot see the whole scene for framing).

Turn front control ring, the view will be magnified, you can see and refine the focus while magnified, Focus Peaking will show, finish the shot.

btw, in both modes, you can 'let go', return to framing view, reframe slightly, and then do a fast final magnified focus check and finish the shot.

DMF, simply let go of the half pressed button, reframe, press half way, turn front control ring to refine focus and shoot.

MF, any time you lightly touch the shutter button, it returns to framing view, reframe slightly, turn the front control ring, back to magnified view to refine focus and shoot.

Set up for DMF and or MF

Do your self a favor, change the Menu Start to Previous, menu, wrench, page 1. It now returns to where you were last, rather than the beginning of the whole menu each time.

1. turn on Focus Peaking. menu, gear, page 1, Peaking Level (try low) The edges of things in your frame turn color when they become sharply focused.

2. Peaking Color, menu, gear, page 1 (try yellow)

3. MF Assist, (magnification) turn on, Menu, gear, page 3.

4.. Focus Magnif. Time, (2 sec, 5 sec, No Limit) Menu, gear, pg 3.

Sets how much time the camera stays in the magnified view, to make focus adjustment with the control ring, see the peaking color, and take the shot.

While learning, set it to no limit. After you get good, you can go back to 2 or 5 seconds. It affects battery life.

No limit is also good if waiting for a cloud to move, breeze to stop, or a spider to stop moving, refine the focus again, then shoot.

5. You can combine either of these Focus Methods with any shooting mode, i.e. exposure bracketing, or perhaps self timer, to avoid shutter press motion. You can let go of the shutter after pressing, but you have to remember to hold steady and wait for several exposures or the self timer as always.

Elliott

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I started learning both DMF and Manual Focus, it is easier than I thought. I learned it bit by

Hi Elliott.   Thanks for these detailed instructions (you should be a photo gear instructor!).   I will have to give DMF a try.  I have never used it.    Cheers, Peter

Re: RX100/RX100M2 BACK-BUTTON FOCUS

elliottnewcomb wrote:

This is a great thread, and will be a valuable resource for years I think.

If you name your tip, in the title bar top of your post, it will be easy to find a specific tip in the future. If you reply to a specific tip, leaving the title makes sense

Great idea, Elliott. Wish I had changed the title appropriately when I first posted. I would edit my original question above, but can't find a way to do that. There must be a time limit on when you are able to edit a post after posting it.

Instead, I've retitled this post to give someone scanning the thread a clue about what was just discussed immediately above.

Bev

Forwardfold wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I started learning both DMF and Manual Focus, it is easier than I thought. I learned it bit by

(you should be a photo gear instructor!).

Thanks for compliment, but no, not qualified.

The key thing I have learned about trying new features is: IT IS EASIER THAN I FEARED.

I am sure more experienced people could have done a better job, I just like sharing what this camera has led me to learn in the past year, bit by bit, sometimes only partially. I assume/hope others will correct omissions or mistakes along the way. The forum is terrific for that.

That is why I became glad (surely not at first) it has a PITA learning curve, and why I wrote my 2 page 'learn rx100' that people kept asking for, to ease the pain and jump start success with it for people having a hard time like I did.

I do try to concentrate on thorough yet condensed clarity, (except my long winded posts here), comes from over 40 years of editing notes and specs on blueprints for bids, and reducing specifications size for printing (hence my 11 page super condensed rx100 guide.) In the old hand lettering days, you had to make damn sure an S could no look like a 5 to a bidder.

I only know this camera fairly well, never went past P mode on my R1, now I can use R1 differently, for improved results. Primarily for it's 24mm and greater Bokeh capability than rx100.

I need to learn DRO/Auto HDR, I have it switched off now. Perhaps someone could add a post about it.

After that, I will make a move on using memories.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: RX100/RX100M2 Rear Wheel Changes Shutter, F Stops, or both for S,A,M

DMAdler wrote:

Eliott,

One of the issues I have with DMF is that with that active the front control ring now controls focus and not the aperture or shutter speed if you are in A or S mode. Have you found any way around this?

Thanks.

The rear wheel always changes the shutter speed in S, or always changes the F stop in A. See them turn orange in the info line at bottom of lcd. Bottom rocker is exposure compensation

When using M, the rear wheel: first movement changes the shutter speed (it turns orange on the info line, bottom of lcd). Then, press the bottom rocker, it switches to F stops, they turn orange, spin the wheel. (As you are in manual, the default bottom rocker use for exposure compensation is not valid which allows this).

Elliott

RX100M2 - Accidental Press of MOVIE Button

I have unintentionally recorded movies several times since getting my RX100M2. It was very annoying, to say the least. I found the solution in another thread on this forum and wanted to mention it here.

You can set the camera so that the Movie button will work only when the Mode dial is set to Movie. This prevents accidentally recording a movie when you are taking still photos.

Go to Menu > Custom (the gear icon) > 3.  The first item on page 3 is MOVIE Button. Set it to Movie Mode Only.

Now if you accidentally press the Movie record button when taking a picture, the camera won't start recording. To record a movie, you need to have the Mode dial on top of the camera set to Movie (the icon that looks like a piece of film strip, between the panorama icon and MR).

Bev

Re: RX100/RX100M2 Fn Button 7, plus 3 Menu Quickies = 10 Fast Access Items

Easy as it is, the use of Fn button involves 3 steps often: press Fn button, rocker press(s) to get sideways to any of your 7 pre-set choices, a spin of the wheel to change that setting.

Soooo, I am going to learn to use the main menu for 3 primary things:

the top lines of the main menu, in order, are

page 1, Image Size

page 2, Drive Mode

page 3, ISO

If I get in the habit of leaving the menu on Camera page 1, (or set it to open to 'Top') then a single menu press gets you to Image Size. One side rocker press gets you to Drive Mode, one more rocker press gets you to ISO.

3 steps, menu, rocker, spin the wheel, same number of steps as Fn button.

I am going to practice using the menu like this, and when it becomes natural, I will no longer need Image Size, Drive Mode, or ISO in my Fn setup, freeing those slots for something else.

I just changed my Menu start to 'Top" menu, wrench, page 1 rather than 'Previous' (best when learning the menu), so it always opens to Camera, Page 1, Image size.

that gives me 10 items and, I don't use the front control ring, but it can be another.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

zoranT Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Video Setting (for PP)

In case you want a very flat video footage for post processing, I would recommend the picture setting SoftHighKey with adjusting EV to -2 and DRO to 2. Be careful to not overexpose, use exp lock.

At first, this will seem very flat. However, when you look at the rendering of certain colors you will notice that, what usually is over-saturated is now rendered quite naturally. Add more saturation/contrast in post if needed.

You can get great results with low light footage in this setting. It is much less noisy than other settings. In Lightroom e.g. make the footage darker and reduce contrast - I have never had a less noisier footage for night shooting, while capturing enough detail.

I leave ISO mostly in Auto, and recently I switched again to mpg instead of AVCHD, less trouble, no big difference in video IQ.

Re: RX100/RX100M2 Optical, Extended Optical Zoom, and Clear Image Zoom

I like both of the extra zooms, (JPEG ONLY) Extended Optical Zoom (EOZ); and Clear Image Zoom (CIZ) very much. One of the very first things I tested was every single zoom option, and made an album of those shots here:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9701497431/albums/rx100-extended-optical-and-clear-zoom

4 sets: Wide, Optical Zoom, Extended Optical Zoom, and Clear Image Zooms are there: a set for each image size: 20mp size; 10mp size; 5mp size; VGA size, and a few distant night shots taken later.

For 35mm equivalent, multiply the X factor by 28, i.e. 5mp image size CIZ 14X is 14 x 28 is 392mm, four times the camera's optical zoom, here it is:

View: original size

It prints 8 x 10 excellently. CIZ creates extra pixels, in camera, 2736 x 1864 pixels, 392mm, 1.9mb file size. (5mp 28mm optical is 2.4mp, so a lot of extra pixels are created), they look/print great.

Now, the big crop from the 20mp optical zoom, only 680 x 454 pixels, 140mb file size. Looks ok small, but zoom in a bit, or print it, not so good. Type is both fuzzy and surrounded by white halos.

View: original size

And here is the Original 20mp 3.6x 100mm (Full Optical Zoom) the crop came from

Words: from my super condensed manual

XII ZOOM 4 types available (only for Jpegs)

The icon and zoom bar on the screen changes in accordance with the zoom type you use.

A: Optical Zoom at Image Size L (20mp) 3.6x 28mm to 100mm

Face Detection works in Optical Zoom only

Optical Zoom Only for: Smile Shutter, Self-portrait, RAW or RAW & JPEG

B: Extended Optical Zoom,

no deterioration in the original image quality, (by trimming image processing).

Image Size M (10mp) 5.1x 28mm to 142mm

Image Size S (5mp) 7.2x 28mm to 202mm

VGA size (0.3mp) 28x 28mm to 784mm (sounds crazy, but try it, lcd looks like crap, take the shot, omg)

C: Clear Image Zoom ‘near optical’ zoom (double the extended optical zoom ranges)

Image Size L (20mp) 7.2x 28mm to 202mm

Image Size M (10mp) 10.0x 28mm to 280mm

Image Size S (5mp) 14.0x 28mm to 392mm

VGA size (0.3mp) 54x 28mm to 1,512mm (it is insane, the shot I just got)

D: Digital Zoom Less than the original image quality

END OF PART ONE.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads