Is the swd 50-200 reason enough to go for the Oly platform ?? APS-c shooter

Started Aug 15, 2013 | Discussions
jagge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,149
Is the swd 50-200 reason enough to go for the Oly platform ?? APS-c shooter

Hey

So lots to think about. I am a former APS-c shooter and to be honest I prefer that sensor size or larger. BUT i have moved into m43 and consider a new m43. Now the omd is tempting but to weak on video and the smallish viewfinder is a nogo for me.

Now I then hear all those rumors about a more pro omd that could maybe use the 43 lenses and I start to wonder. Now the new sensors in m43 from sony seems to be great a capable of DR and sensitivity for proffesional print. As stated i do find larger sensors better BUT the compact nature of m43 is also a huge point for me.

Now I always did find that m43 lenses had a great weakpoint in the longer focal lengths, but now i discovered the 50-200 2.8-3.5 swd , and the ratings it gets seem to be very impressive to me AND the used prizes puts it in the expensive but realistic range for me. Cant say the same about the 100-400 L from Canon or the 70-200 2.8.

So now I really wonder if that lense and the 12-60 ditto would be reason enough for choosing this platform is the upcoming omd will support them. It seems that the combination of those highly acclaimed glass and the now much better sensors will outweigh a prosumer glass on the Nikon/Canon platform.

And the compact nature of the 50-200 is great as well off course.

What do you think of all this, i newer tried that glass i have to admit so curious about input.

Best wishes

Jakob

bofo777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,264
Re: Is the swd 50-200 reason enough to go for the Oly platform ?? APS-c shooter

If your shooting with enough light those two lenses are about the best around however if your shooting in door without flash or outdoors when sun goes down you would probably want to add some of the  Olympus 2.0 or Leica 1.4 lenses.  And hopefully with a new sensor camera all of these 4/3 lenses are Dynamite...John

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
goblin
goblin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,331

These too lenses are reason enough to go for Oly, but they will be too noisy in video, unless the new camera has some smart algorithm to recognise their noise pitch and cancel it.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro +62 more
Jolly Oly Contributing Member • Posts: 978
Yes.

I had both of those lenses but for other reasons gone micro (and miss them).. now if Olympus really managed to solve the AF issues, with a modern sensor (OMD's or better) that will be the killer combination, there's no doubt about it.

Edit:

50-200

12-60

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +5 more
Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,706

Read the review of the 12-60mm lens below.
I think it will give you your answer.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_12-60_2p8-4_o20/4

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1
veroman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837
Re: Yes.

Jolly Oly wrote:

I had both of those lenses but for other reasons gone micro (and miss them).. now if Olympus really managed to solve the AF issues, with a modern sensor (OMD's or better) that will be the killer combination, there's no doubt about it.

Edit:

50-200

12-60

-- hide signature --

Such superb pictures!  Thank you for posting.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Ricoh GR II Leica Digilux 2 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-E2
vadimraskin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,596
Yes, yes, yes...

Yes, yes, yes...

did I mention "yes"?

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +3 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,019

jagge wrote:

Hey

So lots to think about. I am a former APS-c shooter and to be honest I prefer that sensor size or larger. BUT i have moved into m43 and consider a new m43. Now the omd is tempting but to weak on video and the smallish viewfinder is a nogo for me.

Now I then hear all those rumors about a more pro omd that could maybe use the 43 lenses and I start to wonder. Now the new sensors in m43 from sony seems to be great a capable of DR and sensitivity for proffesional print. As stated i do find larger sensors better BUT the compact nature of m43 is also a huge point for me.

Now I always did find that m43 lenses had a great weakpoint in the longer focal lengths, but now i discovered the 50-200 2.8-3.5 swd , and the ratings it gets seem to be very impressive to me AND the used prizes puts it in the expensive but realistic range for me. Cant say the same about the 100-400 L from Canon or the 70-200 2.8.

So now I really wonder if that lense and the 12-60 ditto would be reason enough for choosing this platform is the upcoming omd will support them. It seems that the combination of those highly acclaimed glass and the now much better sensors will outweigh a prosumer glass on the Nikon/Canon platform.

What do you think of all this, i newer tried that glass i have to admit so curious about input.

Best wishes

Jakob

I would hold off on such a decision until any new camera is announced.  Right now it is just a cesspool of rumors, nothing to base a decision on.  I enjoy both of those lenses in my collection, and have not regretted buying them.  With the potential for a new body on the horizon, perhaps in the short term, bide your time for a bit.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5
Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,264
Could be

If you will only have one or two lenses in your kit, ever, and IF the new camera, when it arrives, will AF track well with them, then yes.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II +34 more
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 3,505

The 12-60mm and 50-200mm are great values.    With the former, an argument can be made for the 14-54mm lens.  The latter is very nice, particularly when paired with the EC-14 and E-20, you get a great deal of reach.  One question which was discussed recently is whether the new camera will have an adapter and whether that adapter will allow stacking of the adapter with the EC-14 or EC-20.  Currently Olympus does not recommend stacking the MMF adapters with the teleconverters.  We will know next month whether that problem has been solved.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +17 more
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724
2 lens system.

For normal shooting the 14-54/12-60 and the 50-200 gives you excellent coverage given a good body. Edd the 2X EC's for long telephoto and the EX25 for close up and you are about there.

The 12-60/50-200 are both SWD and are pretty quite on a 4/3 camera. Apparently not so quite on the current m4/3 cameras.

Oh yes and the other thing is the 12-60/50-200 SWD  are direct mechanical manual focus and not focus by wire which I prefer.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-500 +15 more
declan79
declan79 Regular Member • Posts: 366

Absolutely yes....yes...and yes, tried and prove it

declan79's gear list:declan79's gear list
Olympus E-3 Samsung NX300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +6 more
arief poerniawan Regular Member • Posts: 380

Hi Jakpb, base on my experience using ZD 50-200mm SWD, i have no complain at all. it is light and the aperture is wider than canon 100-400mm L, when u decide to move to either 4/3 or m4/3 u should be aware that sensor size is smaller but that's also one of this system advantage, where smaller sensor mean that the lens can be made smaller and lighter so we can go further when we go for a walk.

Infact that the size of 4/3 and m4/3 sensor still produce high quality image when we print in large photo. my suggestion is u should do your own field test by renting (also try www.lensrental.com). you can start by renting E5 + ZD 12-60mm and ZD 50-200mm SWD so u can feel how the tone colr and Dynamic range and so on and trust me with OMD they will perform better.. i use E5 so u can test the AF speed.

right now i use my OMD and my ZD 7-14mm and ZD 14-35mm for landscape and it really good

thanks

arief

arief poerniawan's gear list:arief poerniawan's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-3 +22 more
Airmel
Airmel Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
Absolutely
-- hide signature --

AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 +17 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549

Yes, if the new camera performs as expected, the 50-200 swd will be a great lens to get. I also have the EC14 teleconverter that works well with it. This makes it f4.9 and 560mm equivalent at the wide end, and I get sharp shots wide open.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 1,778

Jakob

I would hardly call it a compact lens, even though it is of high quality.  If I were interested in a compact micro four thirds camera, my first choice would be the zoom lenses made for that format.  Two already buy Panasonic and more expected from Olympus.  Unless you get a spectacular deal on these lenses, that changes the picture.  I have both.  And might consider buying a small camera that can focus well with both of them.  But first application would be with a standard size 4/3 camera which these lenses were made for.  You won't know unless you get to handle the expected model and the lenses.  Does sound like a cart before horse situation.  Just wait a couple months.  Sit tight.

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-3 +2 more
Topher5 Contributing Member • Posts: 538

When I go to shoot a wedding with my wife... We always fight over who gets to use the 50-200mm first.

-- hide signature --

Christopher. Ashworth
www.limelightdesign.com
www.flickr.com/topher5

klauser Regular Member • Posts: 476
certainly

... owning these two lenses is a very strong argument to buy the new rumored body. I am not so sure if a ff system with a light body like the 6d and the 24-105mm is not the better basis to start buying into a new system. If you however really need the reach of the Oly 50-200mm very often then yes, buying into 4/3 can make a lot of sense.

k.

Mr.NoFlash Senior Member • Posts: 2,368
wait until you can read reports of the AF speed of the 50-200 with the new phase-detect-on-E-M1

jagge wrote:

Hey

The question for you is: How important is fast focus for you ?

Currently it seems the E-5 is the last real DSLR, with conventional phase detect AF.

Oly then will claim with phase-detection-on-sensor AF will work as fast, but Oly uses Sony sensors, the Nex-6 has phase detect on sensor, and there phase detect AF does not work fast. I have also read that Canon did not really get it baken with their 2 photodiode approach ( and what dpreview writes positively about the new canon AF is wrong, or in other words: only quite good if you compare it to the old very bad Canon Live view AF ).

So IF AF speed has some importance for you then I would wait until you can read reports of the AF speed of the 50-200 with the new phase-detect-on-E-M1.

IF AF speed is not important for you, then you can simply buy the 50-200 and adapter or an Oly dslr.

Yes 4/3 lenses usually are as good as or better than much much more expensive Canon lenses, but the other side is: Its still unclear whats the future for the 4/3 lenses. My 4/3 lenses are mostly CDAF-optimized and so I do not ave this problem. But the 50-200 is not CDAF-optimized.

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Samsung NX300 Leica Digilux 3 Fujifilm X-M1
greyowl750
greyowl750 Regular Member • Posts: 120
Look at this and decide if its worth it...

Thats from an E-3 & 50-200mm SWD combination..cropped about 80-90%..still sharp. Need we say more?

greyowl750's gear list:greyowl750's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads