1022 future developments: I want to ask this BEFORE any new cameras are released

Started Aug 14, 2013 | Discussions
goblin
OP goblin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,498
Re: What are the future cameras from Olympus?

dave gaines wrote:

I got what you said. I'm not ready to answer the question until I see what's released. I think the question is premature.

Thanks for this answer.

I actually wanted to ask the question now, and not after something new is released, as I don't want last year's situation to repeat itself. Bashers are bashers, there will always be enough to drive people nuts. You can't be too thick skinned, it's usually the same people.

What happened last year was that people who legitimately use both systems (as far as camera bodies go) took the blunt of the anti-bashers response long after the bashers were gone. The situation was a bit like in "My cousin Vinny", where the two kids never knew what hit them and had to pay for someone else's deeds.

My take is that making the lens the major common denominator, not the body, is the one way to preserve this forum the way it is, without at the same time closing it to the future.

Any other criteria (viewfinder type, AF system, mount type) is bound to become obsolete and dropped at some point. For what it's worth, I don't believe there will be camera bodies at all in 10-15 years We'll have a lens cap, and all the controls and power supply will be on a comfortable grip somewhere on the lens, allowing us to hold it well, while the info (image included) will come on a pair of glasses. Call me crazy

But even if that happens, the lens will be the same

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro +73 more
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 4,787
Re: 1022 future developments: I want to ask this BEFORE any new cameras are released

This may seem odd, but I would prefer a forum for posting pictures--either individual posts or the weekly bird,  weekly closeup, C&C, weekend monochrome, Bootstrap Scapes, etc, where photos and techniques are posted and discussed from Oly users.

Another forum for hardware, gossip and belly aching.

The former is the strength of this forum.  The latter reflects the disposition of some of our personalities.  I think if we focus on photos and then everything else the goofy and very fuzzy lines between ft and mft become less important.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +21 more
ThePhilips Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Re: 1022 future developments: I want to ask this BEFORE any new cameras are released

Long story short - this is our forum - let's plan ahead.

As others have said, m43 forum is very crowded and reorg IMO is due.

One thing I think people here have missed is that Oly positions 43 compatibility as a higher-end feature. Consequently only a subset of users would own it - users who really need it, IOW pros and enthusiasts.

To me at least that suggests that the 1022 should probably become "43/m43 pro/enthusiast" forum, since increasingly m43 gear is used for pro work (use of the 43 lenses in context is not unheard of) and the good old photographic problems hasn't really change that much and neither Oly's approach to them. Though since the cam is going to be a hybrid, I'm pretty sure many would consider also picking up the Panny's m43 12-35 and 35-100 zooms, thus I doubt the forum would manage to remain "Oly-only".

The 1041 should probably stay the "m43 general mayhem" forum for the rest like me (because I definitely wouldn't be able to afford the new hybrid body and I'm still a proud amateur).

P.S. Admittedly, I'm sorta ignore the Panny GHx users here, but really I have no idea where to place them. Many are videographers and AFAIK DPR doesn't have a forum for pro videographers, so many already hang-out on other video-centric sites. Probably DPR should consider closing the gap: adding the forum, adding support for embedding videos in the posts/comments (like it is already works for the stills), probably even hosting videos (in some limited capacity; or Amazon already owns a video hosting portal?).

ThePhilips's gear list:ThePhilips's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160

Rriley wrote:

but would ask people to be a little more flexible and more tolerant

i just blew a huge snot bubble laughing as i read that

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
goblin

Craig from Nevada wrote:

This may seem odd, but I would prefer a forum for posting pictures--either individual posts or the weekly bird, weekly closeup, C&C, weekend monochrome, Bootstrap Scapes, etc, where photos and techniques are posted and discussed from Oly users.

This is not odd at all, this is actually how a forum usually works.

The thing with dpr's forums is that they are more message boards than forums. There are no thematic sub-sections and such. So everything has to cram together.

Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro +73 more
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846

illy wrote:

Rriley wrote:

but would ask people to be a little more flexible and more tolerant

i just blew a huge snot bubble laughing as i read that

leave it there, see if anyone notices...

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Forgottenbutnotgone Contributing Member • Posts: 938

goblin wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

This may seem odd, but I would prefer a forum for posting pictures--either individual posts or the weekly bird, weekly closeup, C&C, weekend monochrome, Bootstrap Scapes, etc, where photos and techniques are posted and discussed from Oly users.

This is not odd at all, this is actually how a forum usually works.

The thing with dpr's forums is that they are more message boards than forums. There are no thematic sub-sections and such. So everything has to cram together.

The cool thing is they have these handy thread titles though. The way it works is you click on the subjects that you are interested in and ignore the ones in which you are not. Unfortunately as rhetorical as it may sound, a whole lot of people haven't grasped the concept and drop in on threads they don't like just to announce that they don't like them.

Furthermore, at the present activity level, nothing is crammed together very tightly. You can easily find topics from a week ago on the front page.

Robert

Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,310
Can you really have one without the other?

In reading through some of the posts in this thread, I was able to find a set of postings stating this should be a gear forum.  I was also able to find a set of postings stating their should be a photo thread, with gear and bitching sent to another forum.

I believe that photography is about the gear, and about the images that gear produces.  I learn from those who ask questions and post thoughtful and educated replies to those questions.  This applies equally to threads about gear, as well as the images they produce.  That would seem a win to me.

One can have all the photographs in the world, and while they may be judged as superior, their full appreciation only comes from understanding and appreciating the gear behind them.  One can have all the gear in the world, and yet this gear is ultimately meaningless unless the results of this gear are displayed and appreciated and critiqued.

Then, at the end of this, there is the photographer, who, at the end of the day, is the glue between the gear and the photograph.  The photographer uses the gear to produce the results, and at the end of the day is the one who will substantially contribute to the success of that relationship between the gear and the photograph.

This forum has its quirks, faults, challenges and home runs.  Hopefully useless bashing is kept to a minimum.  In the end, it is no more than a microcosm of the interaction between people in the world at large.

Some will be partial to the gear, others to the images that gear produces.  Only together can the full potential of the relationship be allowed to flourish, along with the individual behind the gear photographing the result.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724
I woke up this moring.

And looked to see if there where any interesting comments in this thread. I see a whole lot of comments have been removed. What gives ?

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: I woke up this moring.

got yourself a gun?

http://youtu.be/rIZONxihMdg

CollBaxter wrote:

And looked to see if there where any interesting comments in this thread. I see a whole lot of comments have been removed. What gives ?

just a guess

someone got busted and a subthread was removed

-- hide signature --

Collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183

CollBaxter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Collin

"It's a good day when you wake up in the morning", some of my slightly older friends say.

The moderators have taken a liking to removing posts within threads that they don't like. I guess they weren't mine this time? I got a nice friendly email from them the time it happened to me.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,126
Re: Question

Can I simplify the discussion by asking a question. Where would you expect discussion of the performance of the 35-100 f2 lens on the EM-1 to take place? This forum or the M43 forum?

Now primarily as an M43 user I think it should take place in this forum. It is a question primarily about the performance of a 4/3 lens and you would need 4/3 user input.

Because this is bound to 'happen' when the new camera is introduced. This forum is very likely to be bombarded by 'How does the 35-100 f2 perform on the new OMD?' posts. Clearly such posts could be 'welcomed' 'accepted' or 'moved to the m43 forum'.

CollBaxter

Abrak wrote:

Can I simplify the discussion by asking a question. Where would you expect discussion of the performance of the 35-100 f2 lens on the EM-1 to take place? This forum or the M43 forum?

Now primarily as an M43 user I think it should take place in this forum. It is a question primarily about the performance of a 4/3 lens and you would need 4/3 user input.

Because this is bound to 'happen' when the new camera is introduced. This forum is very likely to be bombarded by 'How does the 35-100 f2 perform on the new OMD?' posts. Clearly such posts could be 'welcomed' 'accepted' or 'moved to the m43 forum'.

I can't speak for others. however I Olympus makes it Official with no more DSLR's etc. Those post would be more welcome here as given a period of time users here would have supplemented their 4/3 gear with a OMD pro ( Assuming everything works to 4/3 user satisfaction.) they they would get some answers. I do see the problem in the m4/3 forum as that person will get a few good replies but the rest of them would be the like of " buy the pany 35-100' , "don't use it its to big'  etc. There will be a lot of noise with only a bit of valid info. Here you might get fewer replies but with a lot more substance.

The trolling history over the last few years on this forum was that we used to have other brand trolls knocking our equipment. Then over the last few years we have had the same brand and m4/3 evangelists and trolls stirring here. Forum member's patience got a bit stretched , lately however these type of posts have been handled by those that have some knowledge and the rest of us ignore them. I have noticed with interest some of the "wrong forum"  posters are now in the Wrong forum.

-- hide signature --

Collin

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 7,403

Abrak wrote:

I guess it all depends on how the question is asked.

Look at it this way:

The 35-100mm f2 performs exactly as it always has. Its performance is intrinsic depending only on its design and manufacture.

So the  question  "'How does the 35-100 f2 perform on the new OMD
Can also be put as:  "How well does the new OMD handle the 35-100 f2 ?"

The way a question is asked  has bearing on which forum it  belongs to

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +13 more
Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 11,714
As I think of it

TrapperJohn wrote:

The cold hard fact is... In the current situation, there is probably not enough of a market to fully support the development of a first rate 4/3 DSLR. Not today, not with Oly's limited resources, not with where E system sales are.

All I can say to the more stalwart is: open your mind and give the OMD-Pro a try. Judge based on fact, not innuendo. You may be pleasantly surprised. I had the same concerns I hear voiced around here: the EVF, the small size, the little buttons, handling. I found that, other than the slow AF, the concerns were not evident when I put HG and SHG onto a gripped OMD.

I think you you are right on both counts here. Smaller is what it should have been from the very start. After all it is the same sensor size, so you get the same look from it no matter how you turn it. The problem with it I see is that you (or whoever) will have to buy a whole new set of lenses for it again to use it effectively. Or how it was meant to be used. And that again, from the way things look, may or may not survive few years down the road. So where does it leave us then. And this is where I think you are right. For those who already have better lenses, trying out OM-D might not be a bad idea after all. Like I said, it is the same size sensor, so why not give it a try.

No ulterior motive in saying that - in fact I should encourage the doom and gloom, to get better prices on the ZD's that I'd like to get. Seriously - ZD on OMD worked far better than I expected it to.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

CollBaxter

dave gaines wrote:

CollBaxter wrote:

"It's a good day when you wake up in the morning", some of my slightly older friends say.

The moderators have taken a liking to removing posts within threads that they don't like. I guess they weren't mine this time? I got a nice friendly email from them the time it happened to me.

On the other hand you won't know that you did not make the morning.

So it look like Am's been busted again. The problem with Am's banning is that he carries  it like a badge of honor and feels he is being victimized.

-- hide signature --

Collin

Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148
well . let's face it ..

Like it or not, the 4/3 DSLR is going to be pretty much the way the Kodak DSLR goes.

My take, sooner or later , unless OLy or Panny come around and re-launch, re-start, and re-build 4/3 product lineup ( most unlikely ). We will have to accept we are talking about a system that's well history. But yes the lens lives on, somewhat. But unlike old Manual Focus Lens , which function all their own. They just need a body to physically mate onto; 4/3 lens need electric and electronical coupling. Else you won't even have any control over the lens. Not the aperture, not the focusing, not anything in fact. So yes, such a discussion about other camera bodies that could made use of the lens are inevitable.

I guess down the road, this should probably termed 4/3 lens and DSLR forum instead of Olympus DSLR forum .. whatever, though, I am not seeing anyone making any body to properly take these 4/3 lens bar Olympus with their M4/3. The question I guess, is, does it matter so much to fuss about it all. There were many great mount / lens / camera in and among Photogrphy's history that come, serve and then go. I ssee no sentiment to be too attached to it. Now if there serve a solution that I can properly utilize the optics down the road, fine, I would welcome that./ But if not, then well, ok, fine, there are other mfr doing other fine lens.

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

tinternaut Veteran Member • Posts: 7,739
Re: I'm optimistic - for Olympus and for this forum

The more FT5 type rumours I'm seeing for this new camera, the more optimistic I am. If Olympus gets this right, not only will this camera focus the Four Thirds lenses fine, it will also, on account of being small, light and (hopefully) built as strong as an E-3, be the adventurers' system camera of choice. Olympus got their ---- together on the imaging side. Now they will marry it with their best glass.

Downsides? Olympus  will never manufacture new copies of their Four Thirds glass, except perhaps (Canon like) made to order, for the most expensive glass.

This forum? It will continue as it is. Those who buy the camera and use it with their best Four Thirds Glass, will continue to discuss their gear, their experience of using their gear, and their photos, right here.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +13 more
goblin

CollBaxter wrote:

To my understanding, when an offensive post is removed, the whole subthread gets automatically deleted. There's no way around this. So your posts were not cherry picked, just in the chain of the first post.

dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: I woke up this moring. Good day Sunshine

CollBaxter wrote:

dave gaines wrote:.

"It's a good day when you wake up in the morning", some of my slightly older friends say...

On the other hand you won't know that you did not make the morning.

So it look like Am's been busted again. The problem with Am's banning is that he carries  it like a badge of honor and feels he is being victimized.

If you don't wake up in the morning you don't get to have an opinion, so the poll of people having good days always outnumber the bad.

Who is Am? As long as he takes his badge of honor and goes somewhere to cool off, he can feel anyway he likes, right?

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads