Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...

Started Aug 14, 2013 | Discussions
papillon_65
OP papillon_65 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,030
Re: Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...

Don Karner wrote:

Really lovely shots.

I don't know why you consider it such a steal though. B&H still has it for $699. Ouch.

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Thanks, in the UK you can get one for around £400 which is nearly half the original RRP, that's a lot of camera for the money IMHO.

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
BlueJakester
BlueJakester Senior Member • Posts: 2,302

papillon_65 wrote:

... the files take quite a bit punishment at base ISO.

Beautiful photos. I've been researching the G1-X as a lighter alternative to my Nikon DSLR and bag full of lenses.

Can you clarify or expand on your statement I quoted above?

Thanks,

Jake

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1
BlueJakester

Don Karner wrote:

Really lovely shots.

I don't know why you consider it such a steal though. B&H still has it for $699. Ouch.

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Amazon.com in the US has it for $599, but you have to add it to the cart to see that price. B&H might be willing to match that price rather than lose a sale to Amazon.

aekn Regular Member • Posts: 433

B&H is $599 (at checkout) plus 2% rewards.  Bundle it with the Canon Pro 100 printer and 50 sheets of Canon paper (for $399) and you get a $400 debit card back.

Not too bad if you ask me...

papillon_65

BlueJakester wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

... the files take quite a bit punishment at base ISO.

Beautiful photos. I've been researching the G1-X as a lighter alternative to my Nikon DSLR and bag full of lenses.

Can you clarify or expand on your statement I quoted above?

Thanks,

Jake

Thanks, I like to post process my raw files to get the best out of them and I find that the G1X files can take quite a bit of manipulation before noise becomes a problem. You can pull or push the exposures quite a bit without too much of a penalty, about what you'd expect from an APS-C sized sensor (though the sensor in the G1-X is slightly smaller in a 4/3's configuration). Using a combination of filters and post processing I find I can get excellent image quality due to the combination of a high quality lens and a decent sensor, HTH.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
BlueJakester

papillon_65 wrote:

Thanks, I like to post process my raw files to get the best out of them and I find that the G1X files can take quite a bit of manipulation before noise becomes a problem. You can pull or push the exposures quite a bit without too much of a penalty, about what you'd expect from an APS-C sized sensor (though the sensor in the G1-X is slightly smaller in a 4/3's configuration). Using a combination of filters and post processing I find I can get excellent image quality due to the combination of a high quality lens and a decent sensor, HTH.

Thanks, that does help.

I shoot all of my photos in raw and post process with Lightroom. One of the most common corrections I do is lift shadows. Good to know the G1-X provides enough detail in the raw data.

Jake

papillon_65

BlueJakester wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Thanks, that does help.

I shoot all of my photos in raw and post process with Lightroom. One of the most common corrections I do is lift shadows. Good to know the G1-X provides enough detail in the raw data.

Jake

I also use Lightroom and lifting the shadows is not a problem at all at base ISO, obviously as you go higher through the range then it becomes trickier, like any camera.

-- hide signature --

Tony

enfi Regular Member • Posts: 157

Wow, after a long search in this forum, these are my favorite photos so far.
I bought the G1X for the same reasons as you, and even tough I like the camera, and I'm willing to accept it's limitations, I sometimes get frustrated with some issues; for example yesterday I was trying to overcome the lower dynamic range by doing HDRI (manual the included option only do jpg's apparently) and I was unable to auto bracket exposures longer than one second in AV or even P
I was able to auto bracket in TV, but changing the aperture and doing so affects the deep of field and I didn't wanted that.
I could probably do it manually in M mode but it's more complicated and I might introduce some movement, is there anyway to overcome this?

However I really like the camera, my back is happier, and I'm planning to travel with it.
Kudos Canon, now please don't kill the new segment that you have created, just improve it...and please update the current firmware to make it even more capable .
--
Enzo Figueres
http://flickr.com/photos/efigueres/sets/721576024179324
59/

enfi's gear list:enfi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +12 more
Raymond88 Regular Member • Posts: 122

You can get one for US$499 at:

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-106443-k-canon_powershot_g1_x_143_megapixel_digital_camera.htm

Their prices on G1x has fluctuated between $470-$500 throughout the year. I have bought two of them in the same price range.  I just love the camera!

Raymond88 Regular Member • Posts: 122

Just want to tell you that I enjoy your work posted on your Flickr account.  Very impressive work!

papillon_65

enfi wrote:

Wow, after a long search in this forum, these are my favorite photos so far.

Thanks for the kind comments Enzo, you have some very nice stuff on your photostream which I'll have a better look at when I get time. I also use the 5D2 and I find the G1-X makes a great alternative when I need to travel light.

I bought the G1X for the same reasons as you, and even tough I like the camera, and I'm willing to accept it's limitations, I sometimes get frustrated with some issues; for example yesterday I was trying to overcome the lower dynamic range by doing HDRI (manual the included option only do jpg's apparently) and I was unable to auto bracket exposures longer than one second in AV or even P
I was able to auto bracket in TV, but changing the aperture and doing so affects the deep of field and I didn't wanted that.

You can bracket raw shots in Av mode, it works fine, or did I misunderstand what you said?

I could probably do it manually in M mode but it's more complicated and I might introduce some movement, is there anyway to overcome this?

There are a couple of things you could do. You could use graduated neutral density filters, which is the quickest and easiest way to improve dynamic range. You could also shoot HDR in Av mode (see above). You could also use an ND grad filter and then create 3 separate raw files from the original ( one normal exposure and one over and one under exposed ) and merge them. You could also bracket and blend exposures, there are lots of options really. I find you can under-expose at base ISO and get away with not too much noise (within reason).

However I really like the camera, my back is happier, and I'm planning to travel with it.
Kudos Canon, now please don't kill the new segment that you have created, just improve it...and please update the current firmware to make it even more capable .

It's a great camera and I'd love to see a successor, though I don't necessarily need one myself.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Tony

You can bracket raw shots in Av mode, it works fine, or did I misunderstand what you said?

I do can get to shot RAW in Av mode, what I cannot do is to bracket an exposure longer than 1 second. It's strange but if for example if the camera metering mode tells me that with and aperture of f 8 (at ISO 100), i need a 15 second exposure to get the shot, as soon as I enable auto-bracketing, whenever I half-press the shutter button the exposure time automatically goes to 1 second, and all the 3 bracketed exposures are one second at f 8 aperture, so basically, the same exposure, no bracket at all!!

There are a couple of things you could do. You could use graduated neutral density filters, which is the quickest and easiest way to improve dynamic range. You could also shoot HDR in Av mode (see above). You could also use an ND grad filter and then create 3 separate raw files from the original ( one normal exposure and one over and one under exposed ) and merge them. You could also bracket and blend exposures, there are lots of options really. I find you can under-expose at base ISO and get away with not too much noise (within

reason).

I do have a set of Lee filters, (0.6,0.9 soft, 0.9 hard, bigstopper) however these are 4x6 and the Lee filter holder is kind of big and heavy, for this camera. What filter size are you sing?

Thank You

Enzo Figueres

http://500px.com/enfi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/efigueres/

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +12 more
papillon_65

enfi wrote:

I do can get to shot RAW in Av mode, what I cannot do is to bracket an exposure longer than 1 second. It's strange but if for example if the camera metering mode tells me that with and aperture of f 8 (at ISO 100), i need a 15 second exposure to get the shot, as soon as I enable auto-bracketing, whenever I half-press the shutter button the exposure time automatically goes to 1 second, and all the 3 bracketed exposures are one second at f 8 aperture, so basically, the same exposure, no bracket at all!!

I see, yes, I checked mine, it does the same, manual is the best way around this I guess.

There are a couple of things you could do. You could use graduated neutral density filters, which is the quickest and easiest way to improve dynamic range. You could also shoot HDR in Av mode (see above). You could also use an ND grad filter and then create 3 separate raw files from the original ( one normal exposure and one over and one under exposed ) and merge them. You could also bracket and blend exposures, there are lots of options really. I find you can under-expose at base ISO and get away with not too much noise (within

reason).

I do have a set of Lee filters, (0.6,0.9 soft, 0.9 hard, bigstopper) however these are 4x6 and the Lee filter holder is kind of big and heavy, for this camera. What filter size are you sing?

I just use the Cokin P system, the filters are approximately 4x3 inches so not too big. I use a cheap plastic filter holder, it all works quite well and fits in a small bag.

Thank You

Enzo Figueres

-- hide signature --

Tony

nolten Regular Member • Posts: 332

Nice set of images Papillon!  Thanks for posting.

I'm just back from a 5 night backpack in one of the canyons of Cedar  Mesa, Utah and I'll echo the praise of the G1X for this purpose.  Just excellent image quality from such a small package.  We had a wide range of sometimes harsh lighting from glaring canyon walls to deep shadowed cliff dwellings and the camera handled all of this very well.  Raw files and Lightroom processing yield beautiful images that compare well to those from my 5Ds and L lenses. Beautiful images like Papillon's look wonderful cropped 16:9 and displayed on a 27" iMac.

I've been using Gs for this purpose since the G3 and this is the G I've been waiting for.  I carry two filters, a polarizer and 250D close-up.  If I need wider than 28 mm the stitch assist mode works well for capturing panoramas and Photoshop Elements does a nice job of reassembly.  The on-screen level and histogram are really useful features.  Wonderful little travel camera.  If you need more than this then you need an SLR.

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL2

Thanks so much for you answer
--
Enzo Figueres

Mark Weston
Mark Weston Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

I really like your photographs. You pushed me over the edge on the G1X as I continue to downsize my kit.

D700 & D90 with many many lenses > NEX 7 & NEX 5 with many lenses > X100S & G1X

http://www.markwweston.com

Mark Weston's gear list:Mark Weston's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Canon G1 X III Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
krugman Contributing Member • Posts: 957

papillon_65 wrote:

I've had my G1-X for a little while now and have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it. I wanted it as a general lightweight travel option for shooting mostly landscape stuff. I bought a cheap knock off filter adaptor and I've put together a little filter kit ( Soft ND Grads 2/4/8, Hoya circular polarising filter, R72 infrared filter, 110 B&W big stopper and an ND 4 ), spare battery, memory card and cleaning cloth and it all fits in a small Kata lite 431 DL bag.

I never see any camera as pocketable, it's the worst place to put any camera IMHO (lint, loose change, keys and cr@p etc) so this setup and camera represents a small, light and very powerful rig. I could also squeeze in my EX-90 speedlite if I want to.

I've been experimenting shooting some landscape stuff with the G1-X and have been very pleased with it's performance. At F8 there's more than enough dof for foreground and distance objects to be nice and sharp. The lens is simply excellent, much better than some seem to think, it performs well throughout the range in my experience. It's as good as any zoom in that range that I've tried and better than most.

The articulating LCD is a real boon for tripod and low level work and the liveview/histogram makes getting the correct exposure a cinch.

About the only thing I'd like is a wider fov than 28mm but you can't have everything in such a compact package. Ergonomics, focusing and everything else works really well and the files take quite a bit punishment at base ISO.

Using ND grads makes dynamic range much less of an issue and the bracketing and timer option is also really nice.

Anyway, when I don't want to be lugging my 5D2 about the G1-X makes a brilliant little replacement and IQ is not so far behind the 5D2 that I worry about it.

Here are some recent examples shot below, two at F16 to get the shutter speed I wanted (didn't have my full filter kit sorted - doh!) but even though diffraction has softened the images I still liked the results.

I'm not sure why this camera isn't more popular, it's stellar IMHO. I guess reviews obsessing over focus speeds and macro performance probably didn't help it and maybe it was overpriced but it's definitely a steal now.

-- hide signature --

Tony

okay, now I get it.

Krugman

papillon_65

nolten wrote:

Nice set of images Papillon! Thanks for posting.

I'm just back from a 5 night backpack in one of the canyons of Cedar Mesa, Utah and I'll echo the praise of the G1X for this purpose. Just excellent image quality from such a small package. We had a wide range of sometimes harsh lighting from glaring canyon walls to deep shadowed cliff dwellings and the camera handled all of this very well. Raw files and Lightroom processing yield beautiful images that compare well to those from my 5Ds and L lenses. Beautiful images like Papillon's look wonderful cropped 16:9 and displayed on a 27" iMac.

I've been using Gs for this purpose since the G3 and this is the G I've been waiting for. I carry two filters, a polarizer and 250D close-up. If I need wider than 28 mm the stitch assist mode works well for capturing panoramas and Photoshop Elements does a nice job of reassembly. The on-screen level and histogram are really useful features. Wonderful little travel camera. If you need more than this then you need an SLR.

Thanks, it's the perfect travel camera within it's range for me, difficult to fault it for my purposes really.

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65

Mark Weston wrote:

I really like your photographs. You pushed me over the edge on the G1X as I continue to downsize my kit.

Thanks Mark, I hope you enjoy the camera as much as I do.

D700 & D90 with many many lenses > NEX 7 & NEX 5 with many lenses > X100S & G1X

http://www.markwweston.com

-- hide signature --

Tony

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads