When was the last time anyone print your pictures?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions
Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,859
Re: When was the last time anyone print your pictures?

Yesterday.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +24 more
Draek
Draek Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

About a month ago, I think. And no, I don't frequently print my photos, but that's mostly because I wait until I'd make a sizeable order to the lab -- going through all the trouble of preparing and sending the files just for a dozen 4x6" just ain't worth it. Last order was a little over a hundred 5x7", mostly as gifts for family and friends, and next one will be around a dozen prints from 6x8" to 11x14" for a home improvement project I'm planning, plus I might sneak in a 16x20" or two depending on whether I can find a decent frame for 'em or not.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
IceAge Forum Member • Posts: 62

I don't think he's taking the bet part seriously.

Anyway I haven't printed in years.

mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094

There are some people that print and some people that don't. For those who print(Especially large sizes) resolution matters. For everyone that never prints 6-8 megapixels is all you will ever need.

I assume that is what you were getting at.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,624
Probably a couple YEARS ago, large size

nofumble wrote:

betcha it is not too often.

You have a point - I have not printed anything at normal viewing sizes, for at least a couple YEARS.  I'm talking about any potential tool for this:  at home printer, office printer, ordering from a machine, ordering on the internet.  I havent done any.  Home printing is the worst, it is expensive and the quality just isn't there and frankly these days even grandmothers find it easier to just have the latest cute photos on their iPhone.

Last time I printed something, I had it printed, it was a sizeable enlargement at 3ft by 4.5ft.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
mike703 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,659
Yesterday (n/t)
Les Berkley
Les Berkley Senior Member • Posts: 1,516

Yesterday, and quite a few last week.

Les Berkley's gear list:Les Berkley's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,159
Re: What is a purpose of printing?

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

I printed last time, maybe, 18 month ago. I give some files of my doughtier to grandparents on a thumb drive to print at BJs from time to time. Their generation prefers tangible prints, but those are 5"x7"s.

Older people like printed photos they can pass around - at church, at their clubs or whatever.

Still there is a difference between viewing on screen and viewing good-sized prints (properly printed, not off some laser printer). I have a portfolio of my best photos printed on 13x19 and it is a heck of a lot more impressive to view (and easy to pass around / share at gatherings) than just flashing photos on a computer screen.

Most of my photos never get printed, but the best ones do and my portfolio is a lot more impressive to flip through than just looking at a display screen. No display can equal the quality of a well-printed photo. The closest I've seen is my iPad 4 Retina display and even that hasn't anywhere near the resolution of my printer.

In conclusion, printing is not dead yet, but with proliferation of different ways to display and share your work, printing became somewhat a hermetic art.

Very true, there are more ways to share around photos and I am still a firm believer in digital as the long-term storage media of choice. But prints DO have their value. I just don't want to have

Lightpath48 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929

Mpix printed an enlargement that I had matted and framed. It's currently hanging in a gallery in Wisconsin.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
Tone Row Regular Member • Posts: 334

dmanthree wrote:

nofumble wrote:

You would lose that bet with me. Lots of my pix end up in print. Wall hangers, photo books, framed desk shots, etc. Every vacation or trip leads to a new photo book, and the relatives who come along on vacations can't wait for them.

On screen is OK, but who wants to drag out a PC to view vacation photos when we can produce, and very easily, some very nice photo books?

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Same here. IMO Photobooks are the new 4x6 snapshot. Most of my family stuff like vacations (Grand Canyon summer 2011) and special events (Christmas 2012, Easter with the family 2011, etc.) have all been turned into photobooks. Printing is important and people need to realize that. Forty years from now no one is going to go digging into your Flickr photo stream to look for old vacation photos, but 40 years from now your kids and their kids are going to cherish the photobook entitled "Robinsons take Italy 2013".

Tone Row's gear list:Tone Row's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 NEX5R
TrickTheLight Regular Member • Posts: 193

"Anyone"? I printed some last night. Before that, someone printed a half dozen of my images last wednesday, not sure who, but my cut of it was about $40 after the hosting site took their share. "Anyone" prints my pictures fairly often.

When I shoot an event I take between 2 and 5 of those little 20 picture 4x6 books with me. I let people look at them at the event and hand out cards or club flyers, which also have my pictures printed on them. Can't do that with digital versions. I could show them on an ipad or something, and that works if you are a wedding shooter at a wedding show, but I shoot MMA at county fairs and in gyms. I love the people I shoot, but there are people at the event who would love a free ipad. My big book of photos has never been taken, and I really don't mind it when someone doesn't return one of the small ones every now and then.  When someone expresses a casual interest in my photography, they don't want to sit down at a calibrated monitor and get flooded with the thousands of images on my website. When I can hand them a book with 20 or so images that fit what I am guesisng their interest is, then they want to look at my work. My print albums are constantly updated, with new "best shots" going in all the time. My on-line albums get published and forgotten. Updating my website is making that painfully clear to me. Limits really help focus my efforts. If I can put umlimited images on my website, I end up with way to many, ordered by when I shot them. If I can put 20 in a book, I have 20 images that share a theme, that are my best work on that theme, over time.

TrickTheLight's gear list:TrickTheLight's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

I debated buying a high quality photo printer a long time ago but am glad I did not pull the trigger.  I had printed through an online printing vendor a few sets of smaller (family) images to hand to older friends and relatives that value prints more than computer images (not sure they have computers).  I did get 2 of my images professionally printed large size for my home in the past year and they are very special to me... most recently about 3 weeks ago.

I like that the option is available to print online for personal use... would be a whole different set of considerations if I was trying to make money off my "art".

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 III
bcalkins Regular Member • Posts: 363
Twice annually

I blog all year long and then print a photo book from it twice a year.  When I went digital I made a mental commitment to keep printing my photos otherwise they just turn into Facebook - shared for a day or two and then forgotten.  We often reach for the annual books when family and friends are around.  Plus I usually print a book of photos for more substantial vacations.

Finally, every Christmas we print a photo to send to friends, plus refreshes on photo frames around the house, for gifts, etc.

I really feel that printing your work is important, both to make it permanent, and to remind your self that all of the pixel peeping stuff is crap...

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Tom K.
Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,628
Re: Twice annually

About twice a year, of group family photos. 4th of July and Christmas typically.

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50
Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,242
Last month

Last time I printed some photos was last month at WalMart Lab...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
arbie1 Regular Member • Posts: 228
It should be very often...

nofumble wrote:

... I'm quite certain nobody's going to be looking at your Flickr or Facebook pages seventy years from now.

Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,242
Re: It should be very often...

arbie1 wrote:

... I'm quite certain nobody's going to be looking at your Flickr or Facebook pages seventy years from now.

From now to seventy years I think my own shots and any photography will be irrelevant to me...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
IceAge Forum Member • Posts: 62

mpgxsvcd wrote:

There are some people that print and some people that don't. For those who print(Especially large sizes) resolution matters. For everyone that never prints 6-8 megapixels is all you will ever need.

I assume that is what you were getting at.

That is the dumbest, most backward/ignorant thing I've seen on here. For people who don't print, megapixels ESPECIALLY matter. Did you just think we take a picture and view it as is? Many of use like to zoom in or crop a lot.

Mike Ronesia
Mike Ronesia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,034

A couple of days ago. I print quite often and do my small stuff at home and 3-4 times a year send an order in for large prints ranging in size from 18x24 up to 36x48 inches. A great shot looks splendid when displayed large on a wall.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma sd Quattro +12 more
kiwigirl
kiwigirl Senior Member • Posts: 1,667
Whenever there is a good special...

Tomorrow I am picking up 60-odd prints at 9c each.  They are for work purposes but will be interesting to see what the quality is like for five bucks!

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads