If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
endus Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Interface
2

If it has the same dreadful user interface that all the other Sony mirrorless cameras have, the answer is, "not much".

-- hide signature --

d e s o l a t e | m e t r o p o l i s
http://www.desolatemetropolis.com

Austin101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,410
Re: Interface

endus wrote:

If it has the same dreadful user interface that all the other Sony mirrorless cameras have, the answer is, "not much".

-- hide signature --

d e s o l a t e | m e t r o p o l i s
http://www.desolatemetropolis.com

if dead slow AF didn't put people off buying the X-Pro1/X-E1 I doubt a crappy menu system is likely to, seriously if someone bases buying a camera on the menu system then their.........

mr moonlight Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Krich13 wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

If you read through the comments made at the introduction and review of the RX1, I think you'll find that there were significant numbers of people who wouldn't buy it because they didn't want to be confined to one FL, another (overlapping) bunch who want a BIEVF rather than an add on finder, and another bunch who simply lamented the cost. I think they'd be the key reasons....... I'd count myself as not being happy with the RX1 for all those reasons.

I have no data on the potential market for an IL version with a BIEVF, but from the interest, I'd say it's there......

Cheers, Rod

I feel that a lot of people felt similar about the X100...

And they still are. Both are extremely restrictive, and Fuji goes great length not to offer an interchangeable-lens pancake alternative to X100s.

I like Fuji zoom 18-55 well enough, may be will buy 10-24 when it comes out and Zeiss 32 is fantastic. Beyond that, I'll try to curb investment into Fuji system; wait and see what Sony (or Canon, or Nikon or anybody else) comes up with. I may be even be able to use my Nikon lenses on new Sony camera, provided focus peaking is well-implemented.

And yes, FF-Nex (or whatever the name will be) will hurt Fuji sales badly, no question about that.

I think the XP1, XE1 and XM1 are pretty good ILC alternatives to the X100s. The 27mm pancake is not too far off the 23mm.

liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,255
couldn't care less

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

There is a lot of rumours about an upcoming full frame Nex camera. Possibly 32mp.
Wow.

I wonder what that would do to X sales? Perhaps not a lot as it will be an expensive camera no doubt - $2,500 to $3,000 most likely. But it most likely would be in another league IQ wise over the X system no matter how good Xtrans is. Size matters and there is no substitute for full frame sized sensors. Especially if it has millions of PDAF pixels for a DSLR competing AF system.

The good side benefit may be to get Fuji to make one too.

What do you think?

Greg

For the rest of the summer I'll be walking with my camera each evening for at least 30 minutes.

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Austin101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,410
Re: couldn't care less

liquid stereo wrote:

For the rest of the summer I'll be walking with my camera each evening for at least 30 minutes.

have you tried eharmony ?

carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

RhysM wrote:

My prediction is one day we'll buy bodies with no sensor at all and the sensor will be built in to the lens. So for example, a super-wide lens will be fitted with a full frame sensor, a telephoto with a micro four thirds, a walk around with an APS-C, etc...

Sure why not interchangeable sensor (camera back) to compliment the interchangeable lens?

 carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,255
problem with gear jockeys

Austin101 wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

For the rest of the summer I'll be walking with my camera each evening for at least 30 minutes.

have you tried eharmony ?

There is life outside, off-screen.

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Austin101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,410
Re: problem with gear jockeys

liquid stereo wrote:

Austin101 wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

For the rest of the summer I'll be walking with my camera each evening for at least 30 minutes.

have you tried eharmony ?

There is life outside, off-screen.

well at lest 30 minutes of it anyway

Samaistuin
Samaistuin Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Re: Interface

Austin101 wrote:

if dead slow AF didn't put people off buying the X-Pro1/X-E1 I doubt a crappy menu system is likely to, seriously if someone bases buying a camera on the menu system then their.........

Their what?

Astrophotographer 10 OP Senior Member • Posts: 6,870
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

You encapsulated it well. What is BO price? Back Order Price?

Greg.

 Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +4 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Senior Member • Posts: 5,612
Re: Interface

Austin101 wrote:

endus wrote:

If it has the same dreadful user interface that all the other Sony mirrorless cameras have, the answer is, "not much".

-- hide signature --

d e s o l a t e | m e t r o p o l i s
http://www.desolatemetropolis.com

if dead slow AF didn't put people off buying the X-Pro1/X-E1 I doubt a crappy menu system is likely to, seriously if someone bases buying a camera on the menu system then their.........

If you used one of the NEX cameras without many buttons (I had a NEX 5) you would realise why the NEX menu system being cr*p was a far bigger issue than slower AF on the X-Pro1 when it launched (though not now).

The number of times I nearly tossed that camera through the window looking for settings in menus.

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Astrophotographer 10 OP Senior Member • Posts: 6,870
Re: Interface

Yes you need to experience Sony menus to appreciate the truth of that statement. It IS a big deal because they are that bad.

If they completely reorganise the menus it would go a long way to making that system more appealling.

It would not be hard. Merely create categories for like menu items instead of a really long endless stream of options with different categories of functions lumped together in a continuous stream.

I imagine the menu system designer's bedroom is a complete mess!!!

Greg.

 Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +4 more
Alexander2505
Alexander2505 New Member • Posts: 24
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Nothing at all as big sony senser will not be better than smaller fuji and nobody wants to get a havy tool again, as everybody is fed up with pain in the neck from kilos of old primitive gear

 Alexander2505's gear list:Alexander2505's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads