Flipbac G4 Grip for Eos M

Started Aug 8, 2013 | Discussions
HaroldC3
HaroldC3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,630
Flipbac G4 Grip for Eos M

So based on this thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51906584

I decided to try the Flipback G4 grip. My grip arrived today and instead of modifying the grip by digging it out to fit around the existing stock grip, I just removed the stock grip altogether.

The stock grip is held in place with some double-sided adhesive, so it came off relatively easy.

Since the underneath had some holes, I decided to seal them up with some simple scotch tape. Not the greatest sealer but better than nothing.

The grip had adhesive already on the backside so it was easy to apply. Just give the area a quick wipe with some a damp cloth to make sure there's no dirt and apply the grip. My initial reactions are very positive. The grip is tacky and does really give you a more secure grip of the camera without adding too much bulk.

I bought my grip off ebay from China but that was before someone else pointed out it is available from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913686-REG/flipbac_fbg4_flipbac_camera_grip_g4.html

Happy Shooting!

HaroldC3's gear list:HaroldC3's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Joe Talks Photo Gear
Joe Talks Photo Gear Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Flipbac G4 Grip for Eos M

nice job.

-- hide signature --

JTPG

UCSB
UCSB Contributing Member • Posts: 993

That looks great!  Thanks for the photos.

-- hide signature --

> Bill.

UCSB's gear list:UCSB's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 +25 more
Dedcakes
Dedcakes Regular Member • Posts: 137

Cool, looks more comfortable to hold and it seems like it would fit in your pocket just the same.

Dedcakes's gear list:Dedcakes's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Fujifilm FinePix X100 +10 more
delete-pending
delete-pending Regular Member • Posts: 161

Excellent mod, I am glad to see that removing the original grip was easy. Sealing the holes with sticky tape is a perfectly valid approach, electrical insulating tape would be another option. As soon as I have some time I intend to do exactly the same, the original grip is a bit on small side.

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,552
One point of thought

It looks far better than previous Flipbacs which looked cheap and tacky.

One point - maybe sealing the holes with tape has reduced the effectiveness of the grip's sticking ability as a large portion is stuck to the tape and not the camera body - also wouidn`t the grip itself seal the camera of dust ?

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Canon EOS M100
delete-pending
Re: One point of thought

Most likely the bond is sufficiently strong. Flipback says that the glue they use is "quality 3M adhesive" by which they probably mean double sided VHB (very high bond) 3M tape, most likely very thin 20-40Mils type commonly used in similar accessories (for example in Richard Franiec grips). The 3M VHB tapes are industrial grade and have excellent properties. They can withstand much higher environmental condition than a camera can, their expected life is over 25 years, more in non-harsh industrial environments, and require very little area to form strong grip.

Removing an item mounted with 3M VHB tape is difficult. The easiest way is to move in sawing motion a thin, strong wire between the tape and the base it is glued to. If you do not want toscratch the surface, dental floss works well as well. And forget about straight pulling, twisting or heating up to remove it (3M VHB can withstand around 300 °F for days).

AdamT wrote:

One point - maybe sealing the holes with tape has reduced the effectiveness of the grip's sticking ability as a large portion is stuck to the tape and not the camera body - also wouidn`t the grip itself seal the camera of dust ?

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,552

Most likely the bond is sufficiently strong. Flipback says that the glue they use is "quality 3M adhesive" by which they probably mean double sided VHB (very high bond) 3M tape, most likely very thin 20-40Mils type commonly used in similar accessories (for example in Richard Franiec grips).

Fine but not when a good area of it is relying on a bit of scotch tape to attach to the body as is the case in the OP  - that was my point - leave off the scotch tape and let the grip do the sealing

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Canon EOS M100
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,764

AdamT wrote:

Fine but not when a good area of it is relying on a bit of scotch tape to attach to the body as is the case in the OP - that was my point - leave off the scotch tape and let the grip do the sealing

I was thinking the same thing...to me the tape seems to be superfluous.

delete-pending

Yes, the tape is superfluous. However (looking at the OP photos) there is sufficient margin outside of the tape to provide a continuous path min. 2-3mm wide (considerably wider on left and right) in direct contact between the grip adhesive and aluminum EOS-M body surface. Most of the area covered by the tape is recessed, and it would not be in contact with the adhesive, tape or no tape. The center of the grip is also recessed (void) and not designed to adhere to anything. Keep in mind that in this application (not an industrial, harsh environment, no direct exposure to chemicals) around 1mm wide path around the grip would be sufficient to assure very strong adhesion. I would not worry about it at all.

rjjr wrote:

AdamT wrote:

Fine but not when a good area of it is relying on a bit of scotch tape to attach to the body as is the case in the OP - that was my point - leave off the scotch tape and let the grip do the sealing

Markintosh
Markintosh Senior Member • Posts: 1,967

if you looking B&H link from original post — on 3rd image you can see an empty era on the centre on the grip. this area supposed to fit an original grip on S100 and other cameras. this make the extra tape on the holes from original grip much more sense.

dottore wrote:

Yes, the tape is superfluous. However (looking at the OP photos) there is sufficient margin outside of the tape to provide a continuous path min. 2-3mm wide (considerably wider on left and right) in direct contact between the grip adhesive and aluminum EOS-M body surface. Most of the area covered by the tape is recessed, and it would not be in contact with the adhesive, tape or no tape. The center of the grip is also recessed (void) and not designed to adhere to anything. Keep in mind that in this application (not an industrial, harsh environment, no direct exposure to chemicals) around 1mm wide path around the grip would be sufficient to assure very strong adhesion. I would not worry about it at all.

rjjr wrote:

AdamT wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Markintosh.

Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +8 more
PaulR Contributing Member • Posts: 914

I'm sure that this is a dumb question but how did you decide that the G4 was the correct Flipbac grip for the EOS M as opposed to the other ones they make?  I hate not having a good grip on the EOS M so I'm pretty interested in any solution that makes holding it securely better.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
HaroldC3
OP HaroldC3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,630

Well it was based on the other thread I referenced plus I have had the Panasonic gx1 camera in the past and this grip looks similar to that grip.  I really liked that grip because it was so tacky feeling so I went with it.

Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
padmasana
padmasana Regular Member • Posts: 274

The grip looks great.

padmasana's gear list:padmasana's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,764

dottore wrote:

Yes, the tape is superfluous.

Yup, I thought as much.

back alley Regular Member • Posts: 145

any long term feedback on this grip?

still on your camera?

still working ?

happy with it?

back alley's gear list:back alley's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
HaroldC3

still on your camera?

still working ?

happy with it?

I actually sold that camera and now have a different camera with the Franiec grip on it. I think I like the Franiec grip better but it's 3 times as much.

Still I just ordered an M2 and will be ordering a Franiwc grip (which Richard said he should have some in by the end of April)
--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosbyharold/

back alley Regular Member • Posts: 145

HaroldC3 wrote:

still on your camera?

still working ?

happy with it?

I actually sold that camera and now have a different camera with the Franiec grip on it. I think I like the Franiec grip better but it's 3 times as much.

Still I just ordered an M2 and will be ordering a Franiwc grip (which Richard said he should have some in by the end of April)
--

what's better about the franiec?

back alley's gear list:back alley's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
jcm65 Forum Member • Posts: 63

I purchased from amazon and it came from Adorama.  I had it for 6 months and it works well.

HaroldC3

back alley wrote:

HaroldC3 wrote:

still on your camera?

still working ?

happy with it?

--

what's better about the franiec?

More to grip on to.  At first I didn't like that it was metal and liked the rubber feeling of the G4 grip but then I came to like the fact that the Franiec grip is just a little deeper and allows for a firmer grip.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads