Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions
klavrack Contributing Member • Posts: 876
Re: Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon

Well, this has turned into a fun discussion, and if it hasn't left you more conflicted than when you began, I'm surprised.  Basically, there are many wonderful options out there that will delight you.  For a killer low-light indoor combo, you'd be hard-pressed to beat a K-30 or refurbed D7000 with the Sigma 18-35/1.8 (or 2.8-or-under budget alternative).

Beyond that is really a matter of what you presently (or hope to) do with your hobby.  Great video and telephoto lens availability with Canon.  Great flash systems and availability of borrowable-from-friends equipment with Nikon or Canon.  Stabilized use of primes and legacy lenses with Pentax.  The only option I've seen mentioned here with focus peaking is the K-30, which you really have to try with a good macro lens to appreciate the joy of.  These cameras are all so good--just grab the one that expands your interests the most and go enjoy it.

klavrack's gear list:klavrack's gear list
Pentax K-3 Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: Actually, K-30 is FASTER to focus than D7000

Leandros S wrote:

In the most commonly encountered scenarios, for most people. Check out figures on imaging resource under the performance tab of each review. (Nikon is only faster with flash.)

AF speed is body and lens dependent.  So while Pentax may drive it's lineup of mostly non-SDM lenses quickly, the AF speed is often not as fast as the better Nikkors.  My 70-200 f4 VR is blazing fast and accurate on both D7000 and D800.

And almost every new Nikon lens has an AF-S motor (from the least expensive 18-55 VR to the top of the line telephoto primes).  Much of the Pentax lens lineup uses older screw-driver lenses that don't have motors and are driven by the camera body.  Pentax has only 7 SDM lenses and only two of them (the new 18-270 at $600 and 55 1.4 both over $800) are under $1000.

Ever new lens Nikon makes has a built-in AF-S motor for quiet and most fast AF.  The K-30 drives screw-driver lenses like the 17-70 f4 or 16-45 f4 fairly quickly and accurately, but not quietly, as there is a distinctive noise typical of screw-driver type lenses.  It's not a big deal mostly, but it would be nice if Pentax would update some of their classic lenses like the 12-24 f4 to include SDM motors (note even the Tokina has added an AF motor to their version of this lens, so it really is time for Pentax to do the same).

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
+1

klavrack wrote:

Well, this has turned into a fun discussion, and if it hasn't left you more conflicted than when you began, I'm surprised. Basically, there are many wonderful options out there that will delight you. For a killer low-light indoor combo, you'd be hard-pressed to beat a K-30 or refurbed D7000 with the Sigma 18-35/1.8 (or 2.8-or-under budget alternative).

Beyond that is really a matter of what you presently (or hope to) do with your hobby. Great video and telephoto lens availability with Canon. Great flash systems and availability of borrowable-from-friends equipment with Nikon or Canon. Stabilized use of primes and legacy lenses with Pentax. The only option I've seen mentioned here with focus peaking is the K-30, which you really have to try with a good macro lens to appreciate the joy of. These cameras are all so good--just grab the one that expands your interests the most and go enjoy it.

Agree.  There are no right answers here.  The K-30 now at it's current price is a lot of camera for a little amount of money.  The D7000 is a step up into a pro-sumer type magnesium alloy body, 14-bit uncompressed RAW, more AF points, etc and at refurbished prices is an incredible deal.

Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,527

AllBrands wrote:

You know what's funny?

First you complain about this:

Look carefully before you leap. Some things a potential new DSLR buyer should know about Pentax are...

• you'll have no full-frame upgrade path.

And then, the solution:

If I didn't have so much invested in K-mount gear right now, Micro Four-Thirds is where I'd want to be. MFT gear doesn't fully take the place of a good DSLR kit in some situations but it is easy to use in ways and places that DSLR gear often isn't.

MFT being locked in an even smaller format than APS-C (OTOH Pentax is actually working on a FF camera, even though it's nowhere near).

Choose wisely how you spend your money for the long-term by having a lens roadmap planned out in advance. If the camera system you're contemplating doesn't provide an attractive future roadmap for lens purchases, best to either wait or look elsewhere.

Let me guess... MFT is producing more roadmaps than lenses?

But Pentax can make 3 roadmaps at once, that's a win! 

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,476

klavrack wrote:

Well, this has turned into a fun discussion, and if it hasn't left you more conflicted than when you began, I'm surprised. Basically, there are many wonderful options out there that will delight you. For a killer low-light indoor combo, you'd be hard-pressed to beat a K-30 or refurbed D7000 with the Sigma 18-35/1.8 (or 2.8-or-under budget alternative).

Beyond that is really a matter of what you presently (or hope to) do with your hobby. Great video and telephoto lens availability with Canon. Great flash systems and availability of borrowable-from-friends equipment with Nikon or Canon. Stabilized use of primes and legacy lenses with Pentax. The only option I've seen mentioned here with focus peaking is the K-30, which you really have to try with a good macro lens to appreciate the joy of. These cameras are all so good--just grab the one that expands your interests the most and go enjoy it.

I think he said it all, but I'm not willing to dive into 4 screens to find the fun parts

Many excellent cameras with different feel to each, so it's a personal and a technical choice. All are excellent and can be made to do pretty much the same things, so at some point go with what you 'like' or feels 'right'. And have fun whatever path you choose!

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650
Re: FF! FF everywhere!

fakuryu wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

That is correct, but do you have any indoor shots w/ dim lighting?

1/5s F2.8 ISO1600,

Can't really say but even with such a small pic, PP and noise smoothing is already evident.

What are you on about buddy? this is 4000x3000 image, focus is on the steering wheel.

for one thing it isnt even a real 70-200, it is a 70-180. in other words, it has no real 200mm end, so how can it beat Canon's 200mm end?

70-180? 200mm end? Or do you mean 68-196 for the Tamron (Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD) and 68-193 from the Canon (Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM). Actually, it looks like that the Tamron has the longer end, better optically, just as fast, it may not be as well built as the L but it is substantially cheaper. Unfortunately, that model does not come in the K mount (hopefully just for now)

I am not sure where you got these numbers from. But you can have a look the link below.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/12/quick-resolution-tests-on-two-new-70-200s

"The Tamron 70-200 (really it’s 186mm) f/2.8 is also exceptionally sharp, and maintains its sharpness throughout the zoom range, even at the long end. Just be aware the long end is not 200mm. We have the Canon and Nikon lenses all measured right at 200mm, while the Tamron is about 186mm. For what it is worth, the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is about 190mm."

http://www.tamron.com/en/photolens/di_hi_speed/a009.html

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/02/lens-test-tamron-70-200mm-f28-di-vc-usd

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/05/lens-test-canon-70-200-f28l-ii-usm?src=related&con=outbrain&obref=obinsite

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Tamron-Lens-SP-70-200mm-F-2.8-Di-VC-USD-Nikon-mount-review-High-performance-and-excellent-value/Tamron-Lens-SP-70-200mm-F-2.8-Di-VC-USD-versus-competition

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/30/review-tamron-70-200mm-f2-8-sp-di-vc-usd-canon-ef/

TO THE ADMIN: Just please delete the links if it is not allowed

Of these 5 links you gathered, 3 makes no mention of focal length, one of them is tamron's own site so it should be disqualified. You are wasting time.

pop photo is the only site mention actual FL, but they do not mention focus breathing at all while.

This is what photo.net has to say:

"Focal Length

The Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD exhibits what is sometimes referred to as “focal length breathing” or sometimes “focus breathing”. That means that the effective focal length (or angle of view, or magnification) changes with focus distance, specifically the closer the focus the shorter the focal length at any given zoom setting. This is somewhat difficult to measure, but at the a close focus distance of 2m I’d estimate that the “true” or “effective” focal length with the zoom set to 200mm is closer to 140mm. A lot of zoom lenses do this to a greater or lesser extent. At infinity I measured a focal length of 196mm, which is pretty typical for lenses which are nominally “200mm”, while at 10m I measured a focal length of 188mm."

That is in line with Lensrental's finding.

Hard to say, since I have very little interest in wildlife or action photography. Maybe lets just wait and see from other users and

So you cannot really testify as to tamron's AF performance in terms of comnination of speed and accuracy as I have pointed out several posts back, can you?

fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
This is a bit OT but a D40 with the older Tamron 70-200 f2.8 in very bad lighting

I'm not really the main photog for this, just accompanied a friend and was just a spectator for the day but can't resist trying out his Tamron 70-200

I know a lot of things are wrong in this shot especially the lighting for the runway shoot, but we cannot deny that the Tamron even with the D40 is sharp and the AF is spot on.

So what can we expect with this lens screw driven by a Pentax K30 w/c is said that the AF is faster and more accurate than the D7000? Clean and sharp shots at ISO1600 or even ISO3200

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
fakuryu

ultimitsu wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

That is correct, but do you have any indoor shots w/ dim lighting?

1/5s F2.8 ISO1600,

Can't really say but even with such a small pic, PP and noise smoothing is already evident.

What are you on about buddy? this is 4000x3000 image, focus is on the steering wheel.

I don't know if something is wrong with your eyes or your monitor but there is a lot of smearing and it is really noisy... buddy.

for one thing it isnt even a real 70-200, it is a 70-180. in other words, it has no real 200mm end, so how can it beat Canon's 200mm end?

70-180? 200mm end? Or do you mean 68-196 for the Tamron (Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD) and 68-193 from the Canon (Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM). Actually, it looks like that the Tamron has the longer end, better optically, just as fast, it may not be as well built as the L but it is substantially cheaper. Unfortunately, that model does not come in the K mount (hopefully just for now)

I am not sure where you got these numbers from. But you can have a look the link below.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/12/quick-resolution-tests-on-two-new-70-200s

"The Tamron 70-200 (really it’s 186mm) f/2.8 is also exceptionally sharp, and maintains its sharpness throughout the zoom range, even at the long end. Just be aware the long end is not 200mm. We have the Canon and Nikon lenses all measured right at 200mm, while the Tamron is about 186mm. For what it is worth, the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is about 190mm."

http://www.tamron.com/en/photolens/di_hi_speed/a009.html

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/02/lens-test-tamron-70-200mm-f28-di-vc-usd

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/05/lens-test-canon-70-200-f28l-ii-usm?src=related&con=outbrain&obref=obinsite

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Tamron-Lens-SP-70-200mm-F-2.8-Di-VC-USD-Nikon-mount-review-High-performance-and-excellent-value/Tamron-Lens-SP-70-200mm-F-2.8-Di-VC-USD-versus-competition

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/30/review-tamron-70-200mm-f2-8-sp-di-vc-usd-canon-ef/

TO THE ADMIN: Just please delete the links if it is not allowed

Of these 5 links you gathered, 3 makes no mention of focal length, one of them is tamron's own site so it should be disqualified. You are wasting time.

pop photo is the only site mention actual FL, but they do not mention focus breathing at all while.

"Focal Length

The Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD exhibits what is sometimes referred to as “focal length breathing” or sometimes “focus breathing”. That means that the effective focal length (or angle of view, or magnification) changes with focus distance, specifically the closer the focus the shorter the focal length at any given zoom setting. This is somewhat difficult to measure, but at the a close focus distance of 2m I’d estimate that the “true” or “effective” focal length with the zoom set to 200mm is closer to 140mm. A lot of zoom lenses do this to a greater or lesser extent. At infinity I measured a focal length of 196mm, which is pretty typical for lenses which are nominally “200mm”, while at 10m I measured a focal length of 188mm."

That is in line with Lensrental's finding

Hard to say, since I have very little interest in wildlife or action photography. Maybe lets just wait and see from other users and

So you cannot really testify as to tamron's AF performance in terms of comnination of speed and accuracy as I have pointed out several posts back, can you?

Read down, I just posted a shot with the old 70-200 with a D40. Combination of speed ang accuracy? How about a badly lit runway shoot with an older camera (Tamron + D40) vs a somewhat newer camera and supposedly one of the best lens of Canon in good lighting?

So if one review site says one thing and one the other, either way, still sharper and has a better distortion control over the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM while $1000 cheaper.

And please, if you are going to quote me, quote everything. This is already way out of topic. In no way or form a 60D has better lowlight low noise high ISO performance over a K30/K50/K500/K01.

-- hide signature --

fakuryu
This will be the last reply about this subject because it is clearly way off topic now n/t

n/t

-- hide signature --

McGooble wrote:

Unfortunately the D7000 is also a bit out of my budget at the moment. Also I was talking to a local camera shop owner and he said that he wouldnt even carry them because they have back/front focusing issues that can't seem to be figured out. This guy knows what he's talking about too, since he repairs cameras as well he gets some insider knowledge from his colleagues in the warranty centers. So that was strike two against the D7000.

Sorry but this guy is talking total nonsense and personally I wouldn't buy any camera from someone who is so willing to BS customers to make up for lack of a well stocked camera shop.

The D7000 has an excellent AF system, as accurate or more so than the K-30 with way more AF points, and far better AF tracking performance (I've owned both cameras and Nikon's predictive AF tracking is as good as it gets).

But with every DSLR there are isolated reports from pedantic forum users about front/back focusing, but both the K-30 and D7000 have AF micro adjust.

To claim to not stock a wildly popular DSLR because of some reports of back/front focus frankly sounds ridiculous.  Whatever you decide to buy, purchase it from a reputable shop like B&H or Adorama and you won't face problems of high prices and limited selection like your guy.  Do yourself a favor and take a pass from old fashioned rip-off artists camera shops.  Stick with B&H or at the very least, Amazon.

Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,116

marike6 wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

In the most commonly encountered scenarios, for most people. Check out figures on imaging resource under the performance tab of each review. (Nikon is only faster with flash.)

AF speed is body and lens dependent. So while Pentax may drive it's lineup of mostly non-SDM lenses quickly, the AF speed is often not as fast as the better Nikkors. My 70-200 f4 VR is blazing fast and accurate on both D7000 and D800.

And almost every new Nikon lens has an AF-S motor (from the least expensive 18-55 VR to the top of the line telephoto primes). Much of the Pentax lens lineup uses older screw-driver lenses that don't have motors and are driven by the camera body. Pentax has only 7 SDM lenses and only two of them (the new 18-270 at $600 and 55 1.4 both over $800) are under $1000.

Ever new lens Nikon makes has a built-in AF-S motor for quiet and most fast AF. The K-30 drives screw-driver lenses like the 17-70 f4 or 16-45 f4 fairly quickly and accurately, but not quietly, as there is a distinctive noise typical of screw-driver type lenses. It's not a big deal mostly, but it would be nice if Pentax would update some of their classic lenses like the 12-24 f4 to include SDM motors (note even the Tokina has added an AF motor to their version of this lens, so it really is time for Pentax to do the same).

The 18-135 WR is another sub-$1000 lens with it's own focus motor.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
ultimitsu
Re: This is a bit OT but a D40 with the older Tamron 70-200 f2.8 in very bad lighting

fakuryu wrote:

I'm not really the main photog for this, just accompanied a friend and was just a spectator for the day but can't resist trying out his Tamron 70-200

I know a lot of things are wrong in this shot especially the lighting for the runway shoot, but we cannot deny that the Tamron even with the D40 is sharp and the AF is spot on.

At ISO 400 1/160 F2.8, the lighinting is not bad at all. and the subject is either static or moving rather slowly at a fairly far distance, it is in no way a real test of this lens's AF speed and accuracy.

pixelsmithy Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: +1

"Refurbished" always makes me wonder "what needed refurbishing"? To me it is a sign of a design or production flaw corrected, or a camera that was returned by an unhappy camper (for some - quite possibly valid - reason).

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
ultimitsu

fakuryu wrote:

1/5s F2.8 ISO1600,

I don't know if something is wrong with your eyes or your monitor but there is a lot of smearing and it is really noisy... buddy.

Got nothing better to say so you have to stick to trashtalk? Firstly you incorrectly call it "small size", then when caught out, you argue it is too smeared at full res.

Lets see your D7000 or K5 low light 1/5s ISO 1600 shot with significant less noise and smearing. put your photo where your mouth is.

"Focal Length

That is in line with Lensrental's finding

Read down,

So you do admit that you were wasting time posting 5 links and that tamron is not a real 70-200?

I just posted a shot with the old 70-200 with a D40. Combination of speed ang accuracy? How about a badly lit runway shoot with an older camera (Tamron + D40) vs a somewhat newer camera and supposedly one of the best lens of Canon in good lighting?

Your runway shot is in no way a sufficient stress test for that lens's AF capability. just becasue you used a old body doesnt mean it ought to do better with newer bodies.

So if one review site says one thing and one the other, either way, still sharper and has a better distortion control over the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM while $1000 cheaper.

As I said earlier, the Tamron is a good lens and a low cost alternative to the Canon 70-200II, but it is in no way the same class as the Canon and it is not a real 70-200.

tamron at 200mm (186mm) F2.8

Canon at 200mm F2.8

And please, if you are going to quote me, quote everything.

You should take your own advice. see below.

This is already way out of topic. In no way or form a 60D has better lowlight low noise high ISO performance over a K30/K50/K500/K01.

Take your own advice on quoting properly. I never said "60D has better lowlight low noise high ISO performance over a K30/K50/K500/K01."

I said:

1, noise itself is not an issue in practice because you can easily clean it up in post. what matters is detail and DR retention.

2, 60D is a bit behind, there is no debate. [But] the difference is not as much as people often make it out to be.

I have shown you plenty of my own high ISO images. MOD EDIT, Edited last section for flame. bating.

AllBrands
AllBrands Regular Member • Posts: 481
Re: "Refurbished" always makes me wonder?

pixelsmithy wrote:

"Refurbished" always makes me wonder "what needed refurbishing"? To me it is a sign of a design or production flaw corrected, or a camera that was returned by an unhappy camper (for some - quite possibly valid - reason).

Or just a sign of a manufacturer trying to dump old new stock in a way that doesn't directly undercut their own retail distribution chain and thus anger retailers. Not at all the same as "Factory Demo" models with signs of use. No way, not for me. But buying from a large quantity of spotlessly like-new "factory refurbished" stocks with a full retail warranty? No worries unless you just like to worry. What's the risk? That you'd find a flaw and have to exchange it for another copy? Twice I've had that happen - with brand new retail items. No problems whatever with any of the "factory refurbished" items I've purchased.

Just saying...

AllBrands's gear list:AllBrands's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD550 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +10 more
AllBrands

marike6 wrote:

McGooble wrote:

Unfortunately the D7000 is also a bit out of my budget at the moment. Also I was talking to a local camera shop owner and he said that he wouldnt even carry them because they have back/front focusing issues that can't seem to be figured out. This guy knows what he's talking about too, since he repairs cameras as well he gets some insider knowledge from his colleagues in the warranty centers. So that was strike two against the D7000.

Sorry but this guy is talking total nonsense and personally I wouldn't buy any camera from someone who is so willing to BS customers to make up for lack of a well stocked camera shop.

The D7000 has an excellent AF system, as accurate or more so than the K-30 with way more AF points, and far better AF tracking performance (I've owned both cameras and Nikon's predictive AF tracking is as good as it gets).

But with every DSLR there are isolated reports from pedantic forum users about front/back focusing, but both the K-30 and D7000 have AF micro adjust.

To claim to not stock a wildly popular DSLR because of some reports of back/front focus frankly sounds ridiculous. Whatever you decide to buy, purchase it from a reputable shop like B&H or Adorama and you won't face problems of high prices and limited selection like your guy. Do yourself a favor and take a pass from old fashioned rip-off artists camera shops. Stick with B&H or at the very least, Amazon.

My reaction to that comment was the same.  Let me think for a moment - why would a retailer bad-mouth a camera he doesn't have in stock?  A couple of reasons pop to mind and neither involves "insider knowledge" or repair experience!

Canon PowerShot SD550 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +10 more
AllBrands

Alex Sarbu wrote:

AllBrands wrote:

You know what's funny?

Look carefully before you leap. Some things a potential new DSLR buyer should know about Pentax are...

And then, the solution:

If I didn't have so much invested in K-mount gear right now, Micro Four-Thirds is where I'd want to be. MFT gear doesn't fully take the place of a good DSLR kit in some situations but it is easy to use in ways and places that DSLR gear often isn't.

MFT being locked in an even smaller format than APS-C (OTOH Pentax is actually working on a FF camera, even though it's nowhere near).

Choose wisely how you spend your money for the long-term by having a lens roadmap planned out in advance. If the camera system you're contemplating doesn't provide an attractive future roadmap for lens purchases, best to either wait or look elsewhere.

Okay, you got me on that one, Alex. BUT if one is buying and carrying lenses that are of a size to fit a full-frame camera, it would be nice to have the option to go that route. The low-light capabilities of full-frame sensors are amazing and getting cheaper each year while Canon, Nikon and Sony DO provide that option. How many current Pentax digital lenses even cover a full-frame image circle without heavy vignetting? I'm asking - I don't honestly know.

Yet if one is to give up on ever having a full-frame upgrade path, might there be some benefit in smaller, lighter lenses optimized for sensor-based AF? For me, the answer is most definitely yes though the trade-offs aren't to everyone's choosing. Just something to consider, especially given the potential of Canon's new PDAF-on-sensor technology. It's no longer a given that mirrorless cameras will never AF and track as well as a SLR or SLT camera.

As for a Pentax full-frame camera, I'll believe it when I see it (or at least see new lenses on the Pentax roadmap designed for a full-frame image circle).  I find it hard to believe that Pentax's tiny market share would make sales volumes of a $2,000 full-frame camera profitable.  Anyway, first Pentax has to produce an AF sensor that performs above the level of it's rival's entry-level cameras, no?

Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,116

AllBrands wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

AllBrands wrote:

You know what's funny?

And then, the solution:

Okay, you got me on that one, Alex. BUT if one is buying and carrying lenses that are of a size to fit a full-frame camera, it would be nice to have the option to go that route. The low-light capabilities of full-frame sensors are amazing and getting cheaper each year while Canon, Nikon and Sony DO provide that option. How many current Pentax digital lenses even cover a full-frame image circle without heavy vignetting? I'm asking - I don't honestly know.

Yet if one is to give up on ever having a full-frame upgrade path, might there be some benefit in smaller, lighter lenses optimized for sensor-based AF? For me, the answer is most definitely yes though the trade-offs aren't to everyone's choosing. Just something to consider, especially given the potential of Canon's new PDAF-on-sensor technology. It's no longer a given that mirrorless cameras will never AF and track as well as a SLR or SLT camera.

As for a Pentax full-frame camera, I'll believe it when I see it (or at least see new lenses on the Pentax roadmap designed for a full-frame image circle). I find it hard to believe that Pentax's tiny market share would make sales volumes of a $2,000 full-frame camera profitable. Anyway, first Pentax has to produce an AF sensor that performs above the level of it's rival's entry-level cameras, no?

None of them are digital.... they're all still made from glass.:-)

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,656

AllBrands wrote:

Various people have tested this by putting their DA and DA* lenses on a 35mm camera and taking pictures.

I have done so myself. The index to the results on my website is at the link below, and this page has some links to the results of other people too. The analysis, with various degrees of quality, has been done for a large number of Pentax lenses.

Pentax Full Frame tests

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +20 more
Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 1,970

marike6 wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

AF speed is body and lens dependent.

If you read the indicated page, you'll see that they write,

"To minimize the effect of different lens' focusing speed, we test AF-active shutter lag with the lens already set to the correct focal distance. We also use the same Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro with every camera (on all platforms except Four Thirds/Micro Four Thirds and Nikon consumer models lacking an in-body focus motor), to further reduce variation, and because our tests showed that focus-determination time with this lens was close to the fastest, across multiple camera bodies from different manufacturers. Being an older design with a non-ultrasonic motor, it wouldn't be the fastest at slewing from one focus setting to another, but that's exactly the reason we measure focus determination speed, which is primarily a function of the camera body, vs focus adjustment speed, which is primarily a function of the lens."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads