Panasonic Nocticron v. Olympus 75mm

Started Aug 5, 2013 | Discussions
grey0135 Regular Member • Posts: 223
Panasonic Nocticron v. Olympus 75mm

Assuming the 2 lenses are of similar optical quality and the prices are not too dissimilar, how many of you would opt for the Panasonic over the Olympus?  By all accounts, the Olympus is of optical stellar quality, but the focal length is on the long side for portraiture (which has put me off from buying it).

I think many people are "making do" with the focal length because the lens is so good, but it seems to me the lens will be much less useful once the Panasonic comes out.  Maybe mainly for indoor events?

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,263
Re: Panasonic Nocticron v. Olympus 75mm

Maybe it's just me, but as owner of a Panasonic camera the presence of OIS is the 42.5mm lens makes it an easy choice.  IF I spring for one of these, it will be the Nocticron.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +4 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468

grey0135 wrote:

Assuming the 2 lenses are of similar optical quality and the prices are not too dissimilar, how many of you would opt for the Panasonic over the Olympus? By all accounts, the Olympus is of optical stellar quality, but the focal length is on the long side for portraiture (which has put me off from buying it).

I think many people are "making do" with the focal length because the lens is so good, but it seems to me the lens will be much less useful once the Panasonic comes out. Maybe mainly for indoor events?

Why don't you pitch the upcoming Pany 45/1.2 against the Oly 45/1.8 rather than the Oly 75/1.8? The 75/1.8 is a different FL and therefore serves different needs. For example, as you indirectly indicate, the 75 mm is often too long for indoors use unless you are in a hall rather than an ordinary room. In other cases, the additional, reach of the 75 is an advantage that the Pany 42.5/1.2 can't match. The 45/1.8 by contrast, is a direct alternative to the 42.5/1.2. Slower (just like the 75) but also, in all likelihood, smaller, lighter, and significantly less expensive.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Torq Regular Member • Posts: 156

I’ll be going with the Nocticron, and that’s fully expecting it to be at least 50% higher in price than the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and a good 4-5x the price of the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (which, as Anders says, is a far more natural comparison).

[That'll likely be accompanied by a Canon 85mm f/1.2 purchase.]

I get the impression that the 45mm and 75mm f/1.8 lenses have been bought as much by gear-heads misguidedly obsessed with sharpness and/or shallow-DoF, at least around here, than for any nod towards compositional necessity or artistic expression.

Not to knock those lenses, they’re genuinely excellent ... they're just all too frequently represented with contrived compositions.

Torq's gear list:Torq's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Sony RX100 V Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha a7R III +10 more
Vlad S Veteran Member • Posts: 3,751
Olympus 75mm is not a "make do" lens

grey0135 wrote:

By all accounts, the Olympus is of optical stellar quality, but the focal length is on the long side for portraiture (which has put me off from buying it).

I think many people are "making do" with the focal length because the lens is so good, but it seems to me the lens will be much less useful once the Panasonic comes out.

It is not too long, it is simply designed for a different look, with much more compressed background. 135mm f2.0-2.8 for the 35mm film cameras were just as classical portrait choice as the 80mm. You can see how many of them have been produced by every manufacturer. It is not a "make do" lens, it's a high end choice for glamour portraiture.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
MrScorpio
MrScorpio Senior Member • Posts: 1,413

I have the Oly 45/1.8 and the Oly 75/1.8.

For some reason I find the 75 much more used and I dont thing I would use the 45 more if it would be a 1.2.

When using primes I tend to switch mostly between the 35, 25 and 75. But thats more based on my shooting style rather than the lenses performance.

So to answer the question, I would go for the 75.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
toporossa Regular Member • Posts: 127

Torq wrote:

I’ll be going with the Nocticron, and that’s fully expecting it to be at least 50% higher in price than the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and a good 4-5x the price of the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (which, as Anders says, is a far more natural comparison).

I get the impression that the 45mm and 75mm f/1.8 lenses have been bought as much by gear-heads misguidedly obsessed with sharpness and/or shallow-DoF, at least around here, than for any nod towards compositional necessity or artistic expression.

You plan to buy a lens you don't know anything except that it is one stop brighter than the existing 45mm lens, although the last one is known to be optically excellent and sold for one-fith of the price according to your assumptions.

At the same time you accuse other people as gear heads buying lenses because they are misguidedley obsessed with shallow DOF. So this raises the questions, which "compositional necessities" urge you to do so?

Dphotog Regular Member • Posts: 100

Ive Tried the 75mm is I can say yes it is just absolutely superb...thing of unimaginative beauty. I Zoom 4x and its still crisp and sharp which no other lens has done thus far for me on my GH3.

I will say this that i am extremely interested in the 42.5mm I only have one lens a 17.5mm .95 voigtlander which i love but I do miss AF when i am shootiing stills.

I guess what it should come down to for most folks is the price...how much are we paying for it and is it worth it compared to the alternatives. Because Ive tried the 75mm i know what i getting into with it. Step the hell back WAY far to get those lovely portrait shots with it. But im slightly more interested in a 85mm (ff equiv)

So what the number 1 issues with a  Nocticron would be price. Second quality of the glass if it comes close to anything like the 75mm you bet your butt I would buy this in a heart beat if the price is right. 3rd is it a better option going native vs say Speed Booster EF with a Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 (full electronic hopes)

Heres an image from Japan with the GH3 75mm combo

julieng
julieng Contributing Member • Posts: 943

grey0135 wrote:

Assuming the 2 lenses are of similar optical quality and the prices are not too dissimilar, how many of you would opt for the Panasonic over the Olympus? By all accounts, the Olympus is of optical stellar quality, but the focal length is on the long side for portraiture (which has put me off from buying it).

I think many people are "making do" with the focal length because the lens is so good, but it seems to me the lens will be much less useful once the Panasonic comes out. Maybe mainly for indoor events?

the 75mm is perfect for short tele events. Theatre, shows, conferences, etc. Judging by what uses two friends of mine who happens to be professional photographers (Nikon gears on both account) 35-100X is the direct competitor to that stellar lens.

42.5mm while good for portraits certainly has other uses, doesn't it? Anyhow, it competes against 1.8/45 from Olympus.

julieng's gear list:julieng's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Ulric Veteran Member • Posts: 4,532

grey0135 wrote:

I have a feeling that the 42.5/1.2 will be so expensive that the 75/1.8 will be the "budget" alternative.

Another observation: the 75mm is the first M43 lens where I usually feel that the depth of field is so shallow that shooting wide open is not an option.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Peng Bian
Peng Bian Contributing Member • Posts: 608

Ulric wrote:

grey0135 wrote:

I have a feeling that the 42.5/1.2 will be so expensive that the 75/1.8 will be the "budget" alternative.

Another observation: the 75mm is the first M43 lens where I usually feel that the depth of field is so shallow that shooting wide open is not an option.

Yes, and it doesn't help that at 1.8 the image is already so sharp, you really need to discipline yourself to stop down to get more in focus. Bokeh is great but not at the expense of a half in focus subject.

Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,304

grey0135 wrote:

The two lenses are different enough to want both. I carry both the 75 and 45/1.8 as my two tele options, as often the 45 is too short, which tells me a 42.5mm lens, even at f1.2, is often not going to be long enough either.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +31 more
Valentinian
Valentinian Contributing Member • Posts: 866

As others have pointed out, pitching Nocticron 42.5/1.2 vs Olympus 75/1.8 is not exactly meaningful.

You could either say :

42.5mm Nocticron/1.2 AND/OR 45mm Olympus/1.8 vs Olympus 75mm/1.8

or

Nocticron vs Oly 45/1.8

in the first case the choice is about the FL

in the second case the choice is about how fast the lens should be

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II +1 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,708

grey0135 wrote:

Why no mention of the Voigtländer 42.5mm? At $999, it appears that it may be the "budget" alternative to the PL42.5mm, that's rumored to possibly cost $1200 or more.

I think a 42.5mm and 75mm, coupled with a 25mm,  would make a great set of lenses!

I use a Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar and while it's extremely nice… I love it's images and field of view, there are times when I'd love something in between it and 25mm with a wide aperture. I don't really like using a 50mm for some reason, so 42.5mm seems like a good length. It's funny how the so-called classic focal lengths, like the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm equivalents, just look and feel right.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,708
Re: Panasonic 42.5mm Nocticron vs. Olympus 45mm

Valentinian wrote:

42.5mm Noctitron vs Oly 45/1.8

in the first case the choice is about the FL

in the second case the choice is about how fast the lens should be

The equivalent 5mm difference is pretty minor, but f1.2 vs. f1.8 can mean a great deal.

A desire for lens speed and wide aperture depends on how much low light shooting one does and how much bokeh laden imagery one prefers. I like shooting in available light, and a lot interiors and at night, so wide apertures are important for me. Depth of field is secondary, though that does come with the territory of wide apertures by default.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Valentinian
Valentinian Contributing Member • Posts: 866
Re: Panasonic 42.5mm Nocticron vs. Olympus 45mm

jeffharris wrote:

Valentinian wrote:

the choice is about how fast the lens should be

f1.2 vs. f1.8 can mean a great deal.

A desire for lens speed and wide aperture depends on how much low light shooting one does and how much bokeh laden imagery one prefers. I like shooting in available light, and a lot interiors and at night, so wide apertures are important for me.

Ok. your choice makes sense. However, one must balance 1 stop opening  vs lens cost and size. (and keep in mind -as others pointed out in other posts- that modern sensors make 1 stop less critical than it used to be)

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II +1 more
igorek7
igorek7 Regular Member • Posts: 284

I've only one advice: go for the best lenses you can afford, and spend less on upgrading camera-bodies. However, it's up to you which set of prime and zoom lenses and which price-per-performance ratio to choose. One thing is clear to me. I need one bright (f/1.2 or brighter) high-quality lens for shooting in most challenging situations.

My current best choice are either Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2, Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 or SLR Magic 35mm T0.95.

Being short-tele, Olympus 75mm F1.8 can be a good complement to the above lenses, if one choose to avoid Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8, but I'd prefer to add the Panasonic zoom-lens to my set.

igorek7's gear list:igorek7's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samsung NX500 Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,970

grey0135 wrote:

Assuming the 2 lenses are of similar optical quality and the prices are not too dissimilar,

I'm pretty sure that assumption about the prices is quite a leap of faith.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,970

dougjgreen1 wrote:

grey0135 wrote:

Assuming the 2 lenses are of similar optical quality and the prices are not too dissimilar,

I'm pretty sure that assumption about the prices is quite a leap of faith.

I'm also considering a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/B&H  85mm f1.4 manual lens.  Can be bought new for under $275, used for under $200.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
OP grey0135 Regular Member • Posts: 223

Anders W wrote:

grey0135 wrote:

Why don't you pitch the upcoming Pany 45/1.2 against the Oly 45/1.8 rather than the Oly 75/1.8? The 75/1.8 is a different FL and therefore serves different needs. For example, as you indirectly indicate, the 75 mm is often too long for indoors use unless you are in a hall rather than an ordinary room. In other cases, the additional, reach of the 75 is an advantage that the Pany 42.5/1.2 can't match. The 45/1.8 by contrast, is a direct alternative to the 42.5/1.2. Slower (just like the 75) but also, in all likelihood, smaller, lighter, and significantly less expensive.

The 45 is simply in a different price range from the 75 and future 42.5.  I assume that most people who own the 42.5 or the 75 will own the 45 as well.  But since the 75 and (I assume the 42.5) are much more expensive, you'd need a strong reason to own both.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads