Beginning photographer experimenting w/ Lightroom - advice appreciated

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Photos
justincarlson
justincarlson Forum Member • Posts: 89
Beginning photographer experimenting w/ Lightroom - advice appreciated

This is a harbor on Lake Superior near where I live. I just got a Sony NEX-6 with the 16-50mm lens, which seems to have a fairly wide angle, so I wanted to see how it would do for a water scene. I'm wondering how the composition is and if anyone would recommend using different Lightroom settings to improve the photo in general.

After cropping and applying 'Punch' color preset, and increasing saturation, sharpness, clarity, and vibrance.

Original image.

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,568
Re: Beginning photographer experimenting w/ Lightroom - advice appreciated

Use the WB eyedropper to select an area of cloud that you think in the field would be a neutral gray or white.

Then pick up a third party book on LR - there's a lot to consider when first tackling one's own developing, and a book will help one address those considerations as one encounters them, at one's own speed.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087
Two Harbors?

Is that Two Harbors?

justincarlson
OP justincarlson Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Two Harbors?

Marquette, MI

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
justincarlson
OP justincarlson Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Beginning photographer experimenting w/ Lightroom - advice appreciated

Thanks, that's what I plan to do.

Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087
Re: Two Harbors?

justincarlson wrote:

Marquette, MI

Good to know. That scene, with the ore dock and point in the background looks a lot like Two Harbors, MN.

In any event, I do like the image.  But the color is a bit over saturated for my taste. I'd first check the white balance, then dial back the saturation a bit. You might consider alternative crops, and perhaps some radial gradient to draw the eye to the main subject. Just some quick thoughts.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads