An alternative tripod support for Panasonic 100-300mm lens

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions
raymb Regular Member • Posts: 489
An alternative tripod support for Panasonic 100-300mm lens

Hi, I recently purchased a olympus 60mm macro lens with a Velbon focusing rail.

I quickly realised that the rail could also offer better support for my 100-300mm lens when

on a tripod, by moving the centre of gravity.

(Sorry for the quality of the photo, only had my cell phone)

PS I do know that you can buy a tripod collar form Germany, however i think this will work for me.

raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Morgs222 Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: An alternative tripod support for Panasonic 100-300mm lens

Defeats the object of having a small light weight system just a bit.

jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,030

raymb wrote:

I quickly realised that the rail could also offer better support for my 100-300mm lens when

PS I do know that you can buy a tripod collar form Germany, however i think this will work for me.

That looks really bulky. How much does it weigh? How much did you pay?

I have the Roesch tripod collar for my 100-300mm. It's extremely compact and adds very little bulk or weight (70g) to the lens. The $100 price, while far from cheap, is fairly reasonable given the level of engineering and quality build. It stays on my lens.

http://www.roesch-feinmechanik.de/29701.html

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

Sorry, but only a mug with too much money would pay $100 for that.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

jeffharris

PAUL TILL wrote:

I agree. That Velbon Super Mag Slider weighs 470g and costs $115 at B&H! YOUCH!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/193311-REG/Velbon_SUPER_MAG_SLIDER_Super_Mag_Slider.html

In comparison, the Roesch Feinmachanik 100-300mm tripod collar is a steal!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Brian D. Schneider
Brian D. Schneider Forum Pro • Posts: 18,225

raymb wrote:

That will do VERY nicely with that 2 point support, however the German which I have is much more portable when used on a monopod.

OP raymb Regular Member • Posts: 489
Re: only a mug

Paul, If you read my post you would not have missed the point about buying a " 60mm macro"

that was also the reason to buy the focusing Rail.

The fact it also acts as a support for the 100-300 is a bonus. As for the comment it defeats the object of going small and light, who goes small and light when using a tripod?.

Also to my knowledge there is no a tripod collar for the olympus 75-300.

But if it is of no interest to you i will do my best to get over it  

ray

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8

Hi Brian, I agree I would not buy the Velbon if I only wanted a tripod collar. I wanted a "Focusing

rail", which as it happens will also act as a support for my 100-300 on a tripod, but this seems to be beyond the understanding of many members here, Sad

ray

jeffharris

raymb wrote:

Hi Brian, I agree I would not buy the Velbon if I only wanted a tripod collar. I wanted a "Focusing rail", which as it happens will also act as a support for my 100-300 on a tripod, but this seems to be beyond the understanding of many members here, Sad.

No need for insults, simply be more specific and thorough when posting. There was no mention of wanting the utility of a focus rail, only wanting a tripod support for the lens. Clearly, using a focus raiI for it's intended proposed is an entirely different thing than wanting a simple tripod collar.

The Roesch tripod collar is very light and extremely compact, but is intended for a different use. I wish there were a better and cheaper alternative, but there isn't.

f8_accpmpli Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

Ray

How do you like the Velbon as a focus rack?  I debated getting the Velbon for use with my raynox/oly 40/150 macro set up.  In the end, I opted for an Asian cheapie ($15 including shipping).  Works ok for the price, but not high precision.  Been thinking of either the velbon or manfrotto.

Is the lens supported by a piece of closed cell foam held in place by friction?  Does this hold well at all (useful) angles?

-- hide signature --

Never put off until tomorrow. . .
that which you can avoid doing altogether.

f8_accpmpli's gear list:f8_accpmpli's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Canon PowerShot A590 IS Minolta DiMAGE A1 Olympus C-3020 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +22 more

Hi, Jeff, I agree i could have worded the heading better, however i think my original post

"Hi, I recently purchased a olympus 60mm macro lens with a Velbon focusing rail.

I quickly realised that the rail could also offer better support for my 100-300mm lens when on a tripod, by moving the centre of gravity."

Does make it clear i was using it in a dual role.

Cheers ray

Hi, The rail seems to be very well made and for the price £69.00 I am very pleased with it.

However I am very much a novice when it comes to macro so much learning to do.

I crafted  a piece of 8mm ply to fit under the lens covered with felt. This is a close friction fit and

does stay in place no bother.

cheers ray

f8_accpmpli Senior Member • Posts: 1,374
Thanks Ray [nt]
-- hide signature --

Never put off until tomorrow. . .
that which you can avoid doing altogether.

f8_accpmpli's gear list:f8_accpmpli's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Canon PowerShot A590 IS Minolta DiMAGE A1 Olympus C-3020 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +22 more
PAUL TILL

raymb wrote:

Paul, If you read my post you would not have missed the point about buying a " 60mm macro"

that was also the reason to buy the focusing Rail.

The fact it also acts as a support for the 100-300 is a bonus. As for the comment it defeats the object of going small and light, who goes small and light when using a tripod?.

Also to my knowledge there is no a tripod collar for the olympus 75-300.

But if it is of no interest to you i will do my best to get over it

ray

Ray, if you actually read the posts correctly you would see I was talking to Jeffharris, regarding the Roesch tripod collar, that thing should be $20 not $100.

Although that focusing rail is way overpriced too, I got this one on e-bay for £5.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL

raymb wrote:

Hi Brian, I agree I would not buy the Velbon if I only wanted a tripod collar. I wanted a "Focusing

rail", which as it happens will also act as a support for my 100-300 on a tripod, but this seems to be beyond the understanding of many members here, Sad

ray

How daft do you sound now, knowing you read my reply incorrectly.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL

jeffharris wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

I agree. That Velbon Super Mag Slider weighs 470g and costs $115 at B&H! YOUCH!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/193311-REG/Velbon_SUPER_MAG_SLIDER_Super_Mag_Slider.html

In comparison, the Roesch Feinmachanik 100-300mm tripod collar is a steal!

Now look what you've done, you've gone and confused Ray.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Hi Paul you are correct I did miss understand your reply for which i apologise. If you are happy with your £5.00 Ebay rail good on you, I don't think £69 for quality is expensive. each to his own.:-)

Cheers Ray

Believe me Paul I can sound much dafter than that

Cheers ray

Brian D. Schneider
Brian D. Schneider Forum Pro • Posts: 18,225

raymb wrote:

ray

I agree a focus rail is indispensable with the 60mm, I got the cheap ebay one. I don't get this "defeats the purpose" stuff.

I use mine for focus stacking. Here's stack of 14 frames. These objects are about the size of my little fingernail.

Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375

raymb wrote:

Hi, Jeff, I agree i could have worded the heading better, however i think my original post

"Hi, I recently purchased a olympus 60mm macro lens with a Velbon focusing rail.

I quickly realised that the rail could also offer better support for my 100-300mm lens when on a tripod, by moving the centre of gravity."

Does make it clear i was using it in a dual role.

Cheers ray

Reading comprehension, sadly, seems to be something that's no longer taught in schools.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads