Two months with the X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions
Harry S Regular Member • Posts: 434
Two months with the X-E1

My X-E1 was bought to replace my bulky Sony DSLR gear in June, mainly because it's a big year for us with lots of holiday plans coming up, including our honeymoon part 1 (two weeks around South West USA, late August) and part 2 (New York in October) so I wanted to travel light without sacrificing image quality. I'm also a motorsport photographer, as it happens, but I've been winding that down for some time now so figured the X-E1 would signal a clean break...how wrong was I!

Just browsing through the following link puts a smile on my face, particularly thinking about every time I've read someone saying with with supposed authority what these cameras supposedly can't do...

X-E1 Flickr Set

A trip to London for a few days, so fairly standard stuff for the X-E1, the little 18-55mm performed brilliantly...

X-E1, 18-55mm

X-E1, 18-55mm

A day to the Royal International Air Tattoo. I was probably most apprehensive about this, planes flying at a few hundred miles per hour, 200mm max, a bit of EVF lag, but once again I need not have worried, it performed surprisingly well all day...

X-E1, 55-200mm

X-E1, 55-200mm

Finally a bit of motorsport, I pretty much just started taking it along 'just incase', but in the few events I've attended I've taken some of my favourite shots for a number of years. My hit rate is very solid and I've not gone anywhere near burst mode, it just seems to lock on instantly...

X-E1, 55-200mm

X-E1, 55-200mm

X-E1, 55-200mm

For me at least it fully justifies my switch over. For all the stuff written on these forums and others about AF speeds, Mirrorless vs. DSLRs etc etc etc, for me the proof has been just getting out there and shooting away (and yes, there have been funny looks at events at the 'inappropriate' kit I've been using), as is often the case. A camera/lens is just a tool to help you along your way, and for me using the Fuji X gear has really not been a great deal different to shooting with a DSLR.

All in all, a very entertaining two months. Ironically enough the two lenses used for these shots are no longer with me, the 55-200mm has developed a fault, and the 18-55mm has been sold. I'm a prime shooter at heart, so the 14mm, 35mm and 60mm are now my weapons of choice, they will suit me perfectly for my travels soon.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,239
Re: Two months with the X-E1

That's a very nice Flickr set. Rather lays the belief about the camera's limitations to rest.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
PhotOptimist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,249

Fine images, thanks for sharing.

Nice to see what X-E1 is capable of...

Matz03 Regular Member • Posts: 186

I'd like to pick up the 60 and the 56mm down the line to complete a 14, 35, 56, 60 macro kit, but how are you finding it not having the 18-55 anymore?  I like mine, I think i'd be happy with all primes, but the versatility sometimes is really great.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,241

Great photos.  Didnt anyone ever tell you that you need a FF camera to acheive great photos like that?   

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z7 +16 more
ThachLy Regular Member • Posts: 264

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Awesome panning skill, certainly put to rest questions of camera's ability.

Now that Fuji has given us their FW upgrades, I just need to upgrade my FW :-))

ThachLy's gear list:ThachLy's gear list
Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
OP Harry S Regular Member • Posts: 434

Matz03 wrote:

I'd like to pick up the 60 and the 56mm down the line to complete a 14, 35, 56, 60 macro kit, but how are you finding it not having the 18-55 anymore? I like mine, I think i'd be happy with all primes, but the versatility sometimes is really great.

I only used the 18-55 in London, I had an X100 as well and that got 99% of my wider focal length use. I imagine the 35mm will be a almost permanently attached to my X-E1 now, with the 14mm and 60mm only being called upon for specific things.

skimble
skimble Veteran Member • Posts: 6,189

nice series shows the ability of the camera and lenses;-)

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
Roy van der Woning Senior Member • Posts: 2,472

57LowRider wrote:

That's a very nice Flickr set. Rather lays the belief about the camera's limitations to rest.

IMHO, this post attests to the photographer's skill to work around his gear's limitations, rather than to a lack of limitations per se.

It's the old adage time and time again: every choice constitutes a compromise, so choose whatever works best for you.

57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,239

Roy van der Woning wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

IMHO, this post attests to the photographer's skill to work around his gear's limitations, rather than to a lack of limitations per se.

It's the old adage time and time again: every choice constitutes a compromise, so choose whatever works best for you.

I agree, where there are apparent limitations, the cure is in other ways of working, and the ability to do that largely comes from skills and experience. This set shows that the apparent limitations are not insurmountable, far from it. If it shows that we have to engage a bit more, that's no bad thing.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Roy van der Woning Senior Member • Posts: 2,472

57LowRider wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

I agree, where there are apparent limitations, the cure is in other ways of working, and the ability to do that largely comes from skills and experience. This set shows that the apparent limitations are not insurmountable, far from it. If it shows that we have to engage a bit more, that's no bad thing.

Exactly. If anything, that kind of engagement adds to the experience, particularly when shooting for fun. I don't shoot professionally, and as long as a camera's shortcomings don't flat out prevent me from getting the shots I want, I just consider them part of the equation.

That is not to say that an X-E1 cannot be used in a professional capacity, just that this application imposes requirements that I don't feel subjected to. No mouth-foaming brides on my doorstep if I miss focus on one of my shots. 

All in all, these are exciting times for photographers and although I don't own an X-E1, I am keeping a keen eye on the system's progress.

frontal_lobe Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Thanks for posting such interesting examples of what a skilled photographer can do with the X-E1. I've been thinking about this camera a lot, and your set on Flickr is very inspiring. Particularly like your shots from RIAT.

Cheers,

Anthony.

frontal_lobe's gear list:frontal_lobe's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +6 more

Exactly. If anything, that kind of engagement adds to the experience, particularly when shooting for fun. I don't shoot professionally, and as long as a camera's shortcomings don't flat out prevent me from getting the shots I want, I just consider them part of the equation.

I fully agree with this, I get far more of a buzz taking a sports shot with this than I did when I had a Nikon D90 / 70-200 2.8 VR, that thing would lock on without breaking a sweat and never let go, the little Fuji is far more hands and in many ways brings together everything I've learned from the past 10 years taking photos.

I've played around with Micro 4/3 gear extensively, used a 5D for sports etc, none of these would ever be recommended for the sorts of shots I take, but they can all do it quite comfortably. Reading a lot of stuff on he web, you would never get that impression.

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,196

Hi, stunning set. Skill as a photographer very evident. I went to the Festival of Speed last year and with a D300s could not match these images. As one on the verge of buying a X-E1, would you let us into a little PP'ing secret? Software you are using, technique, etc. Many thanks and thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more

jhorse wrote:

Hi, stunning set. Skill as a photographer very evident. I went to the Festival of Speed last year and with a D300s could not match these images. As one on the verge of buying a X-E1, would you let us into a little PP'ing secret? Software you are using, technique, etc. Many thanks and thanks for sharing.

My PPing secret is that there is very little PPing. I shoot in JPEG, transfer to my iPad, crop/straighten and maybe adjust colour (or convert to B&W) in Snapseed, then upload straight to Flickr. I can't remember the last time I used a PC/Mac. Average time spent on an image is about 30 seconds.

I hate editing, so the Fuji has been perfect, great colour JPEGs straight from the camera, and responds well to a quick B&W conversion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads