Bad Cyber-shot or?

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
supperap New Member • Posts: 7
Bad Cyber-shot or?

Hi

I have big problems with my Sony TX100V: it will not take decent photos!

There are problems with noise and blurring photos. I do not know if it's a bad edition (camera) or just bad software on it.

I need your evaluation of my photos - and are the noisy or blurry?

Look at my gallery, and try to zoom:

http://supperap.smugmug.com/Other/Sony/30711262_CtFBnG

Regards

Elle

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX100V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Biggs23 MOD Veteran Member • Posts: 4,073
Re: Bad Cyber-shot or?

Besides being boring test photos, what exactly is supposed to be wrong with those? I don't see anything that's atypical of a shot taken with a middle range P&S. I didn't see any objectionable noise and didn't feel any of the images were unacceptably blurred either.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D750 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586

Biggs23 wrote:

Besides being boring test photos, what exactly is supposed to be wrong with those? I don't see anything that's atypical of a shot taken with a middle range P&S. I didn't see any objectionable noise and didn't feel any of the images were unacceptably blurred either.

Agreed.  OP should work on technique.  Camera seems within spec.

supperap OP New Member • Posts: 7

Too bad. I can see it etc. look at the blue water (you can see digital pixel noise) and the forest photos, they are very unsharp. You can say, it is a camera with a price of 400-500 $ , but my LG mobil camera take better shots.

Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 16,618

Last one looked good for that type of camera. The first two have lots of ugly artifacts at 100% view in the cleaner areas - almost like an intelligent NR algorithm that leaves the detailed areas alone and turns the skies/water to mush ... I'd look at camera settings - jpeg quality, noise reduction ... have you done any post processing to them that would result in resaving them ? I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera. I also avoid using high res cameras with 1/2.3" sensors if possible because they tend to get ugly at full res.

Beyond that, the trick is to avoid looking at full zoomed view.  I bet these print just fine, at least up to some reasonable size.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --

Thanks, you can see it.

These photos is "raw" (not raw format) from the camera - I have only taken a copy of the photos (nothing else). But I dont no why, the camera is so bad to "reproduce" water; as you say, it looks wrong. But I think other smal cameras taken better photos etc. lumix ft5.

Regards

Elle

FrankieJ
FrankieJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,575

Agree with what others have said. Seems to be on-par performance for that type of camera.

From my experience with Sony, they seem to go a bit heavy on Noise Reduction which blurs/smears out detail more so than other manufacturers.

Now that you know what you have to work with - remember, better photos are your responsibility. Blaming your camera for blah photos is like blaming a spatula for a bad meal.

Better if you get a pair of glasses - as I say, my Lg mobil cam take better pictures. You can not see it, but others can see it, why? I dont think you are serious!

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

supperap wrote:

Too bad. I can see it etc. look at the blue water (you can see digital pixel noise) and the forest photos, they are very unsharp. You can say, it is a camera with a price of 400-500 $ , but my LG mobil camera take better shots.

I didn't look at O (original size) before, but now I see what you are talking about.  That is not digital pixel noise, it is larger by far than a pixel, its some sort of clumping, its really ugly, there is a bad fault in some algorithm in the firmware that is probably related to noise reduction.

I have a small sensor SX260 and never see anything like that.

You might be best to get the sony forum to give feedback as there may be a setting that fixes it.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Cailean Gallimore Veteran Member • Posts: 6,082

supperap wrote:

Hi

I have big problems with my Sony TX100V: it will not take decent photos!

There are problems with noise and blurring photos. I do not know if it's a bad edition (camera) or just bad software on it.

I need your evaluation of my photos - and are the noisy or blurry?

Look at my gallery, and try to zoom:

http://supperap.smugmug.com/Other/Sony/30711262_CtFBnG

Regards

Elle

They actually don't look that bad to me. They are consistent with I've seen from small sensor compacts.

Robert Anderson Senior Member • Posts: 2,261

Looking at the full size images, you have some really strange artifacts there. I have viewed full size images from this camera on some review sites and they do not look like this.

I don't know if this is some part of the cameras processing to try and boost contrast and sharpness in landscape mode. Try resetting to defaults.

I expect some softening in the corners and noise at high ISO with such a small sensor and folded optical system, but these are just awful.

Robert Anderson Senior Member • Posts: 2,261

Thanks for the good answers - and help!

I will complain this (the bad pictures) to Sony, all in all it is related to bad firmware (I think). And small censors is not the issue here; these picture taken with my LG/Nokia Mobile does not have the same problems:

http://supperap.smugmug.com/Nature/LgNokia-mobil-cam/30938786_NqznqX

Regards

Elle

DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,149

If you feel your cell phone takes better pictures, just use your cell phone.

DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S

I will , but that was not the case.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads