Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII Locked

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
iseeu Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII

I am planning to make a switch from the D800 to 5DIII for some reason:

1. D800 lock me up few times and I have to take out the battery and insert it to make it work again, this really annoying.

2. The grip (not the battery grip) made 1 of my finger so painful after 10 hours of work, this is never happened with my D700.

3. The outer left AF point back focus severely.

4. Can't lock focus in low light so I missed few important shots.

I only have the Nikon 24-70mm for now, so I am not heavily invested in Nikon glass. Do you guys think 5D III will not give me those problems? I will buy the 5DIII with 24-105mm f/4 kit lens. Does 5D III will give me better high ISO performance? Can you please help me to decide. Thanks in advance.

iseeu's gear list:iseeu's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jimbrobb Contributing Member • Posts: 551
Re: Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII

I have the 5D3 and also tried out the D800. Both are great cameras but I stuck with the Canon.

1) Focusing is faster and accurate.

2) If you pixel peep you will see more noise in the D800 even at ISO 200.

3) I like the characteristics of the Canon Image over the Nikon. The Nikon is a bit flat.

4) The Canon lenses are better, the new Nikon 70-200 f4VR and the 70-400 VR G are good, but there is a lack of contrast compared to Canon.

I'd definitely go for the Canon.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

iseeu wrote:

1. D800 lock me up few times and I have to take out the battery and insert it to make it work again, this really annoying.

5D3 has no such issue, never heard.

2. The grip (not the battery grip) made 1 of my finger so painful after 10 hours of work, this is never happened with my D700.

5D3 grip is highly praised.

5D3 has no known AF issues, AF both fast and reliably.

5D3 and D800 have the same -2 EV low light sensitivity.

I only have the Nikon 24-70mm for now, so I am not heavily invested in Nikon glass. Do you guys think 5D III will not give me those problems?

Not from what I have seen and experienced.

I will buy the 5DIII with 24-105mm f/4 kit lens.

For low light you might want Canon 24-70L/2.8 II or Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC.

Does 5D III will give me better high ISO performance?

Arguably slightly better in very high ISO.  But D800 should basically match if comparing at the same output size.  However 5D3 is much better in high ISO video with or without ML firmware.

Can you please help me to decide. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --
OP iseeu Contributing Member • Posts: 845

Really appreciate for all your information about this comparison, I will be able to get a good deal on this combo, I saw lots of reviews about the 5D III the image quality from high ISO is really nice and clean. I will buy the 2.8 lens in the near future I have to do slowly in transition from Nikon to Canon.

Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,050
Go for it.

iseeu wrote:

I have not had this problem with my 5D3.

I love the grip on the 5D3.

Are you sure this is a camera problem and not a lens problem?  Lenses can be decentered, and can look fine in the middle of the image but one side is soft.  Also lenses that are inherently soft away from the middle when wide open will not AF as well with outer AF points, because AF is done with the lens wide open.

I've been happy with my 5D3 in this regard.

I only have the Nikon 24-70mm for now, so I am not heavily invested in Nikon glass. Do you guys think 5D III will not give me those problems? I will buy the 5DIII with 24-105mm f/4 kit lens. Does 5D III will give me better high ISO performance? Can you please help me to decide. Thanks in advance.

I love my 5D3 and consider it 99% perfect.  10fps would make it perfect, but hey you can't have everything.  I think you'll be very happy with the move.  The 24-105 kit is a steal and a no-brainer to get started.  You can sell the 24-105 later for no loss, or if you don't use it and sell it right away you can even make a profit.  Another thought is to keep it as your walk-around zoom and then get fast primes instead of the 24-70/2.8 for low light.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
Re: Go for it.

JackM wrote:

iseeu wrote:

Are you sure this is a camera problem and not a lens problem? Lenses can be decentered, and can look fine in the middle of the image but one side is soft. Also lenses that are inherently soft away from the middle when wide open will not AF as well with outer AF points, because AF is done with the lens wide open.

I love my 5D3 and consider it 99% perfect. 10fps would make it perfect, but hey you can't have everything. I think you'll be very happy with the move. The 24-105 kit is a steal and a no-brainer to get started. You can sell the 24-105 later for no loss, or if you don't use it and sell it right away you can even make a profit. Another thought is to keep it as your walk-around zoom and then get fast primes instead of the 24-70/2.8 for low light.

Jack thanks for your suggestions, also 1 more reason i make a switch all my friend mostly using Canon, I think you are right about the primes, I will do this transition slowly because not enough funds to make it quick, also I am planning to get the 70-200mm f/4 IS that everyone said a really sharp lens. about the outer AF point this is widely known for the D800 only the left point is very bad, this happened with all 3 lenses I have before, so it's not the lens.

Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,006

iseeu wrote:

Really appreciate for all your information about this comparison, I will be able to get a good deal on this combo, I saw lots of reviews about the 5D III the image quality from high ISO is really nice and clean. I will buy the 2.8 lens in the near future I have to do slowly in transition from Nikon to Canon.

Another way to go is to buy some primes for low light and keep the 24-105 for general purpose shooting, which is the way I did it.  It's hard to say which is better, really.  The 24-105's increased range is nice for travel, but if I were shooting weddings all of the time I think the f2.8 is probably the way to go for the low light versatility given that you wouldn't want to be switching lenses all of the time.

24-105 + primes is probably cheaper though, as the 24-70 f2.8 is about 1900$ US, you can get 2 top end Sigma primes for less.  (85 + 35 f1.4)

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
JackM

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Another way to go is to buy some primes for low light and keep the 24-105 for general purpose shooting, which is the way I did it. It's hard to say which is better, really. The 24-105's increased range is nice for travel, but if I were shooting weddings all of the time I think the f2.8 is probably the way to go for the low light versatility given that you wouldn't want to be switching lenses all of the time.

24-105 + primes is probably cheaper though, as the 24-70 f2.8 is about 1900$ US, you can get 2 top end Sigma primes for less. (85 + 35 f1.4)

Agree, this was my suggestion too.  The 24-70/2.8 is required if you are shooting weddings or events where you shouldn't be changing lenses and you need the aperture.  Otherwise, a nice pair or trio of primes is a great way to go, especially on full frame.

Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
JackM

iseeu wrote:

Jack thanks for your suggestions, also 1 more reason i make a switch all my friend mostly using Canon, I think you are right about the primes, I will do this transition slowly because not enough funds to make it quick, also I am planning to get the 70-200mm f/4 IS that everyone said a really sharp lens.

It is, it's a wonderful lens, I had one.  Buy it with confidence. Only consideration would be if you want the f/2.8 version which is twice the price and twice the weight! The f/4 is great for many many purposes and you can carry it around all day.

about the outer AF point this is widely known for the D800 only the left point is very bad, this happened with all 3 lenses I have before, so it's not the lens.

Ok then, sorry to hear that!

Thank you for all your suggestions, I will pick up the kit tonight, and star taking photos with only kit lens I have to save up some money to get other lenses.

JackM

iseeu wrote:

Thank you for all your suggestions, I will pick up the kit tonight, and star taking photos with only kit lens I have to save up some money to get other lenses.

The 70-200 f/4 without IS is 99.7% as sharp as the IS version, and a real bargain at $629... just a thought...

JackM wrote:

iseeu wrote:

The 70-200 f/4 without IS is 99.7% as sharp as the IS version, and a real bargain at $629... just a thought...

Jack, thanks for the info, I am looking at the used market right now, is the cheapo 40mm worth to buy?

The 40mm pancake is a good buy, small, light, and sharp.  For 150$ I think it's a great deal if you don't have a fast 50.  For what it's worth I have and use the 70-200 f4 (non-IS) and it's a great lens.  I agree with Jack there.  I use it for outside and with strobes, very sharp.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

The 40mm pancake is a good buy, small, light, and sharp. For 150$ I think it's a great deal if you don't have a fast 50. For what it's worth I have and use the 70-200 f4 (non-IS) and it's a great lens. I agree with Jack there. I use it for outside and with strobes, very sharp.

Keith, thanks for the info, I am planning to get the Sigma 50mm 1.4 used, if I get the Sigma is it worth it to buy the 40mm? I am charging the battery now, lots of learning new system, I am so excited.

David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,021

iseeu wrote:

Have you heard other D800 users complaining about this issue?  Seems like maybe an issue with your particular camera perhaps?

There is definitely something different about the way Nikon designs that grip, I feel the same way, IMO, it sux.

The D800 AF is supposed to be pretty good.  I wonder if this is not an issue with your particular camera as well.  That said, the 5DIII AF is hard to beat I doubt that it is any better than the D800 but it is no worse either.  FWIW:  All of the AF points on mine work fast and are spot on (including the extra 10 points that Nikon doesn't have -- couldn't resist )

I doubt that the Canon is any better here either.  But it should be just as good.

The 5DIII and the 24-105 make an excellent combination.  That is the combo that I use the most.

I am sure that you will like the 5DIII but I have to wonder if some of the stuff you are complaining about is not specific to your particular D800.  Hope you don't throw away too much money on the switch.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,021

iseeu wrote:

JackM wrote:

iseeu wrote:

Are you sure this is a camera problem and not a lens problem? Lenses can be decentered, and can look fine in the middle of the image but one side is soft. Also lenses that are inherently soft away from the middle when wide open will not AF as well with outer AF points, because AF is done with the lens wide open.

I love my 5D3 and consider it 99% perfect. 10fps would make it perfect, but hey you can't have everything. I think you'll be very happy with the move. The 24-105 kit is a steal and a no-brainer to get started. You can sell the 24-105 later for no loss, or if you don't use it and sell it right away you can even make a profit. Another thought is to keep it as your walk-around zoom and then get fast primes instead of the 24-70/2.8 for low light.

Jack thanks for your suggestions, also 1 more reason i make a switch all my friend mostly using Canon, I think you are right about the primes, I will do this transition slowly because not enough funds to make it quick, also I am planning to get the 70-200mm f/4 IS that everyone said a really sharp lens. about the outer AF point this is widely known for the D800 only the left point is very bad, this happened with all 3 lenses I have before, so it's not the lens.

That right there is as good a reason as any for picking a particular brand.  You can ask questions, compare notes, borrow stuff etc.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III

I have the Sigma 50 f1.4 and it's a great lens, though I did have to send mine in for calibration.  I personally don't feel the need to get the 40mm because I have the 50, and it's slower and only a bit wider.  What I would like about it is how light it is, I'm tempted to get one for my back up camera which is a rebel.  I have a 50 f1.8 II for the rebel and it's tiny and light too though, so it's a tough sell.

David Hull wrote:

iseeu wrote:

Have you heard other D800 users complaining about this issue? Seems like maybe an issue with your particular camera perhaps?

There is definitely something different about the way Nikon designs that grip, I feel the same way, IMO, it sux.

The D800 AF is supposed to be pretty good. I wonder if this is not an issue with your particular camera as well. That said, the 5DIII AF is hard to beat I doubt that it is any better than the D800 but it is no worse either. FWIW: All of the AF points on mine work fast and are spot on (including the extra 10 points that Nikon doesn't have -- couldn't resist )

I doubt that the Canon is any better here either. But it should be just as good.

The 5DIII and the 24-105 make an excellent combination. That is the combo that I use the most.

I am sure that you will like the 5DIII but I have to wonder if some of the stuff you are complaining about is not specific to your particular D800. Hope you don't throw away too much money on the switch.

-- hide signature --

Hi David, thanks for joining this thread, regarding the problems I had with Nikon, are already well known, I thought Nikon has fixed them as they promised in the last firmware update on May 2013, but actually the problems still there, I doubt that Nikon will be able to fix it with FW. I started with Nikon since D70s until now, too bad too much problem this time, I think there is a waste if we have 51 points but I only use the center point just to be safety, I don't trust any other focus points especially the left outer point.

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

I have the Sigma 50 f1.4 and it's a great lens, though I did have to send mine in for calibration. I personally don't feel the need to get the 40mm because I have the 50, and it's slower and only a bit wider. What I would like about it is how light it is, I'm tempted to get one for my back up camera which is a rebel. I have a 50 f1.8 II for the rebel and it's tiny and light too though, so it's a tough sell.

I think the 40mm is worth to get.

JackM

iseeu wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

The 40mm pancake is a good buy, small, light, and sharp. For 150$ I think it's a great deal if you don't have a fast 50. For what it's worth I have and use the 70-200 f4 (non-IS) and it's a great lens. I agree with Jack there. I use it for outside and with strobes, very sharp.

Keith, thanks for the info, I am planning to get the Sigma 50mm 1.4 used, if I get the Sigma is it worth it to buy the 40mm? I am charging the battery now, lots of learning new system, I am so excited.

No, too close in focal length.  I would look at the 28/2.8 IS and/or the 100/2 for your next prime(s).  The 28/1.8 is another idea, cheaper, faster, but not as sharp as the 28/2.8 IS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads