Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions
MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466
Re: Camerasize.com: Why the GX7 has that nice large grip

sderdiarian wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

I fail to understand how the comparable body sizes of the cameras that the OP compared proves anything about IQ or DOF.

It was never intended to, nor was it stated to. The cameras included in the posted comparison compete as rangefinder style bodies with 16MP sensors in a roughly similar price class, and the images were meant to simply represent an appearance comparison. Others then took the ball and ran with it (no surprise there).

I was responding to TrapperJohn's comment, not your OP.  I apologize for not making that clear.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51916799

Back to the GX7, some complain it's grip is outsized to the camera. I feel otherwise, it's clearly intended to improve the functionality of the camera with a full range of mFT lenses. Take a look at it with the larger/heavier (by mFT terms, that is!) 12-35mm and 35-100mm zooms. I can imagine how nicely this body will balance with them, along with smaller delights like the Pana-Leica 25mm f1.4:

http://j.mp/16qbOPF

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

I also like the looks of the grip.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,174

Many delightful choices.

As for the size differences.... who cares? There are far more hand sizes and preferences than cameras so someone will always have praise or scorn for one or another.

Then some fools will choose based on specs and curse the feel.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
cameron2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,321
Re: Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

l_objectif wrote:

As for the looks, to me Nex 6 looks the best of the bunch. I still can't get over with fat design of the GX7 grip! It really doesn't go with the rest!

Louis, that heft grip is a real positive in actual use. You should hold a Nex 6 and a GX7 (both with a lens mounted that you're likely to use) and see what you prefer that way! BTW - I'd accept either camera as a gift if one of you buys it only to find you don't like it

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Hasselblad X1D
Mr.NoFlash Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Re: The GX7 would be the bestlooking camera...

FrankS009 wrote:

Assuming one has the black body, black electrician's tape does the job. Makes any small camera less obtrusive, or obscures the brand name, depending on your concern.

F.

Thanks for this useful comment.

I did not know that there is a black version.

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-M1
Mr.NoFlash Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Re: The GX7 would be the bestlooking camera...

tjuster1 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

You're complaining because Panasonic has made a great camera and chooses to display its brand name on it?

Sony is intelligent enough not to put its playstation-kiddy brandname "cybershot" on the front side of the RX1R.

( ok its printed on the backside but really small ).

Also Sony does not use "cybershot" on its mirrorless and DSLRs/SLTs.

So other companies do it like I suggest.

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-M1
OP sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229

No problem, just had me scratching my head, but forums can do that.  Appreciate your clarifying this.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,209

cameron2 wrote:

l_objectif wrote:

As for the looks, to me Nex 6 looks the best of the bunch. I still can't get over with fat design of the GX7 grip! It really doesn't go with the rest!

Louis, that heft grip is a real positive in actual use. You should hold a Nex 6 and a GX7 (both with a lens mounted that you're likely to use) and see what you prefer that way! BTW - I'd accept either camera as a gift if one of you buys it only to find you don't like it

Dear Cameron, I would accept any of them as a gift, too!

What I was trying to say was they could design it better! But from what I see in this forum, lots of people like it! So, be it!

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +10 more
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,856
Indeed

Apparently it comes in all black, or black and silver. But the word is that the all black version will not be imported into the USA (and that is the subject of another thread here).

I really think the GX7 pretty muck evokes the style of the wonderful Panasonic LC-1....

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,239
Re: Well...

Great Bustard wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

For all the fuss that's made over APS... just looking at those bodies lined up, and looking at the sensors that are clearly visible... APS isn't that much larger.

I am painfully aware of the specs on both, hear it on a regular basis.

But I look at that comparison, look at the photos that result, and have to think Shakespeare - much ado about nothing.

...the difference in sensor size between APS-C mirrorless and mFT is 2/3 of a stop, so if 2/3 of a stop "isn't that much larger" then, yes, you are correct.

Of course, when you start putting lenses on those bodies, as most of us tend to do, that smaller sensor sure has a lot more good, small, native glass.

For sure, there are some outstanding lenses for mFT that may very well outperform many of the selections available for APS-C. However, a good comparison might be the Olympus 45 / 1.8 against the Sony 50 / 1.8 OSS:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/532/(brand)/Olympus/(camera1)/0/(lens2)/745/(brand2)/Sony/(camera2)/0

and, at least in that one particular comparison, it seems that NEX is doing OK against mFT.

I have the E50/1.8 and it's an excellent lens. It actually better than this DXO review because it was tested on the NEX-7, (a problematic camera for lens-testing.) In reality, tested on the newer NEX cameras, it would test as well as the Olympus 75.

There are a number of other great NEX lenses. The spin of M43 lens superiority over NEX is ancient history. But I wish there was a NEX equivalent for my 14/2.5 or 20/1.7.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

Jerodequin wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

I genuinely wonder why the NEX cameras are able to be that much thinner than the GX7. I mean, let's ignore the handgrip and the eyepiece, just purely in terms of the camera body itself the NEX is a fair little bit thinner.

They have the same tilting screen, both have a flash, etc. Why is the NEX 6 thinner? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I believe one of the biggest impacts on the thinness of the Nex series cameras is that Sony chose to allow the lens to be mounted very close to the sensor - considerably closer (in camera terms) than the lens can be mounted to the sensor on a M4/3 camera.

This has its benefit in allowing a very thin design but has a disadvantage (as I understand it - someone with more technical knowledge in this field would need to confirm) of impacting image quality especially on wide angle lenses.

Sony are masters at miniaturization.

Re: Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, NEX-5R

http://camerasize.com/compare/#369,472

Now that's more like it!

67gtonr Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

Interesting, I didn't realize that all these cameras were larger than the Canon EOS M.

67gtonr's gear list:67gtonr's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,401

67gtonr wrote:

Interesting, I didn't realize that all these cameras were larger than the Canon EOS M.

Yes and no EVF. Not critical for some, but for others it is. That EOS M is a darn good price at the moment and a lot of people have taken it up.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,401
Get a Leica name badge

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

tjuster1 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

You're complaining because Panasonic has made a great camera and chooses to display its brand name on it?

Sony is intelligent enough not to put its playstation-kiddy brandname "cybershot" on the front side of the RX1R.

Come on, you are having us on huh

Sony is far better known here for TV's and you want that stamped on the front of a camera !!

You could always get a Leica plate and stick it over the top of the brand name, there you go, Leica. How cool is that

I shoot next to Canon DSLR FF shooters most days of the week. Forgotten how many times I've been asked "What the heck is that" A small Sony NEX-7 mounted on long fast Canon lenses. Funny though, because they never laughed at the shots that were taken with the Panny G2 either or the NEX-7.

If I turned up with a camera with a fixed lens like the RX1, they would be in fits of hysterics though So each to their own, but basing a camera on a name badge on the front is vanity in its highest form.... IMO.

All the best and I'll bet you worry about the colours of the lenses to match the body as well.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
TTLstalker Regular Member • Posts: 430

micro 4/3 are better balanced cameras because of the size of the lenses

FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,999
Re: Indeed

The black one can be found at Canadian retailers  like Henry's.

F.

Re: Get a Leica name badge

nzmacro wrote:

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

tjuster1 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

Come on, you are having us on huh

Sony is far better known here for TV's and you want that stamped on the front of a camera !!

You could always get a Leica plate and stick it over the top of the brand name, there you go, Leica. How cool is that

I shoot next to Canon DSLR FF shooters most days of the week. Forgotten how many times I've been asked "What the heck is that" A small Sony NEX-7 mounted on long fast Canon lenses. Funny though, because they never laughed at the shots that were taken with the Panny G2 either or the NEX-7.

If I turned up with a camera with a fixed lens like the RX1, they would be in fits of hysterics though So each to their own, but basing a camera on a name badge on the front is vanity in its highest form.... IMO.

All the best and I'll bet you worry about the colours of the lenses to match the body as well.

Danny.

Ha ha, Danny. The RX1 is the world's most expensive point 'n shoot! Maybe it deserves the label "Cyber-Shot." And come to think of it, the future RX1-based FF milc might also be named a Cyber-Shot, instead of NEX.

A lot of people would prefer a no-label all-black approach on the bodies.

Steve

MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466
Re: It was just an offhand observation

I agree, and I share your frustration with the incessant comments about how APS-C is better than m4/3.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Bustard, you look like a pretty bedraggled old bird…

…when you drag out that 2/3 of a stop nonsense.

For goodness sake, go and check the physics! it is what falls on any point of the sensor, not the total that hits the sensor, that counts.

Goodness gracious me -- schoolboy physics.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
For me, the choice is between the G6 and the GX7…

…with money definitely a consideration but not the end game really.

Comparing these two is interesting. The GX7 is smaller but is 30% heavier. Weight is a factor.

The GX7 certainly is the better looking.

External mikes for video are irrelevant for me.

Higher flash sync shutter speed in the GX7 is interesting.

Hmmm!

And then what about those two zoom lenses I hanker after the 12-35 and the 35-100? And if Im back to 100 as my longest lens, I would need a 100-300! OMG -- this is all getting out of control! 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads