Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions
Alexis D Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Re: Well...

Great Bustard wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

For all the fuss that's made over APS... just looking at those bodies lined up, and looking at the sensors that are clearly visible... APS isn't that much larger.

I am painfully aware of the specs on both, hear it on a regular basis.

But I look at that comparison, look at the photos that result, and have to think Shakespeare - much ado about nothing.

...the difference in sensor size between APS-C mirrorless and mFT is 2/3 of a stop, so if 2/3 of a stop "isn't that much larger" then, yes, you are correct.

Of course, when you start putting lenses on those bodies, as most of us tend to do, that smaller sensor sure has a lot more good, small, native glass.

For sure, there are some outstanding lenses for mFT that may very well outperform many of the selections available for APS-C. However, a good comparison might be the Olympus 45 / 1.8 against the Sony 50 / 1.8 OSS:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/532/(brand)/Olympus/(camera1)/0/(lens2)/745/(brand2)/Sony/(camera2)/0

and, at least in that one particular comparison, it seems that NEX is doing OK against mFT.

Is a comparison between a 45mm on MFT and a 50mm on APS-C a fair one?  They are not "equivalent" when considering everything are they?

Mr.NoFlash Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
The GX7 would be the bestlooking camera...

The GX7 would be the bestlooking camera...... if the GX7 would not have "Lumix" printed on it.

For me, its important how a camera looks.

I like the look,

but having "Lumix" printed on it, is as there would be a big sign "this is a bloody amateur camera" - because "Lumix" sounds like "made by marketers for camera-newbies, made by a company which usually sells vacuum cleaners".

I hope its somehow possible to remove the "Lumix" imprint.

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-M1
Jerodequin
Jerodequin Senior Member • Posts: 1,288
Re: Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Manip16 wrote:

I genuinely wonder why the NEX cameras are able to be that much thinner than the GX7. I mean, let's ignore the handgrip and the eyepiece, just purely in terms of the camera body itself the NEX is a fair little bit thinner.

They have the same tilting screen, both have a flash, etc. Why is the NEX 6 thinner? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I believe one of the biggest impacts on the thinness of the Nex series cameras is that Sony chose to allow the lens to be mounted very close to the sensor - considerably closer (in camera terms) than the lens can be mounted to the sensor on a M4/3 camera.

This has its benefit in allowing a very thin design but has a disadvantage (as I understand it - someone with more technical knowledge in this field would need to confirm) of impacting image quality especially on wide angle lenses.

Jerodequin's gear list:Jerodequin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
OP sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229
Re: The GX7 would be the bestlooking camera...

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

The GX7 would be the bestlooking camera...... if the GX7 would not have "Lumix" printed on it.

I like the look,

but having "Lumix" printed on it, is as there would be a big sign "this is a bloody amateur camera" - because "Lumix" sounds like "made by marketers for camera-newbies, made by a company which usually sells vacuum cleaners".

Tongue in cheek?  If serious, now I've heard everything when it comes to camera deal killers !

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,043

Assuming one has the black body, black electrician's tape does the job. Makes any small camera less obtrusive, or obscures the brand name, depending on your concern.

F.

l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,246

tjuster1 wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

l_objectif wrote:

For me, GX1 has the perfect size! I am very disappointed of the size of GX7, although I am well aware that on the paper, it should be a fantastic camera!... I was impatiently waiting for this camera; but as I need a "portable", now I am not sure I am going to get it at this size!

As for the looks, to me Nex 6 looks the best of the bunch. I still can't get over with fat design of the GX7 grip! It really doesn't go with the rest!

I'm just blown away by some of the comments on this forum. The GX7 is still a very small camera, and not really all that much bigger than the GX1:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#183,472

Just overlay the 1 on top of the 7.

If you want a point and shoot, buy a point and shoot. But how do you think Panasonic could possibly squeeze everything the GX7 offers, AND the decent control layout, into a smaller package? Yes, the NEX is smaller, but the control layout pretty much sucks, and you have to resort to the (horrible) menu system to do things that are controlled by buttons or switches on Panasonic cameras.

And for those of us who like to use our cameras, rather than look at them, that grip is a Godsend.

Those of us who like to carry our cameras in our pockets really like small cameras, and the GX7 is just too big for that. I presently carry a PM2 with either 14mm or 17mm pancake, and yes it fits in my pocket which means I have it with me nearly all the time.

And while maybe Panasonic couldn't squeeze everything the GX7 offers into a small package, I think Sony could and eventually will. The NEX-6 small, the NEX-5N is even smaller (though lacks the EVF)--and both of those have an APS-C-sized sensor.

To me the GX7 is not a "very small camera"--it's a medium-sized m43 camera that sacrifices size for more controls and grip. I understand that many (probably most) people in here applaud that decision, but there are others who still crave a tiny GF3/PM2-sized camera with a built-in EVF and all the bells and whistles.

Very true!

I often leave my DSLR home and love to have with me a discrete camera that I could fit in my pocket. After having used all the LX/Dlux line cameras, I was really hoping to upgrade my portable with a 4/3 and I loved the size of GX1. But GX1 had issues with the pancake zoom; so, I was hoping that GX(2) will soon be available without those issues. But it is not the case!

I understand the joy of the people who love and welcome GX7 (good for them!), but I don't understand the aggressiveness that some are expressing to those like me who were wishing for something different!!!... LOL

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +10 more
George Costanza Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best looking and best performer all around: good old NEX6.

You can't beat that camera that seems was released ages ago and still rocks. Now wait when Sony drops a bombshell with new generation cameras around the corner and it will be yet again another never ending chase when everyone chases Sony.

tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,956

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

I like the look,

Wow, just wow.

You're complaining because Panasonic has made a great camera and chooses to display its brand name on it?

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,956

Jerodequin wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

I genuinely wonder why the NEX cameras are able to be that much thinner than the GX7. I mean, let's ignore the handgrip and the eyepiece, just purely in terms of the camera body itself the NEX is a fair little bit thinner.

They have the same tilting screen, both have a flash, etc. Why is the NEX 6 thinner? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I believe one of the biggest impacts on the thinness of the Nex series cameras is that Sony chose to allow the lens to be mounted very close to the sensor - considerably closer (in camera terms) than the lens can be mounted to the sensor on a M4/3 camera.

This has its benefit in allowing a very thin design but has a disadvantage (as I understand it - someone with more technical knowledge in this field would need to confirm) of impacting image quality especially on wide angle lenses.

The difference is 2mm, which isn't significant in terms of the physical width of the camera, even though it may (as you write) affect IQ of WA lenses.

I think making room for IBIS has more to do with explaining why Oly cameras are thicker than NEX cameras. Why older Pannys (i.e., those lacking IBIS) had to be so thick never made sense to me.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,043
Re: Best looking and best performer all around: good old NEX6.

It doesn't appeal to me, I am afraid. I don't like the design including the way it looks, the way it feels in my hands, and the bigger lenses seem awkward on that skinny body - not the same but a bit like those "lens with cameras attached" you see on the sidelines at sporting events supported by monopods. But to each his or her own. Enjoy, and take lots of great photos.

F.

DjarumBlack Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

Bob Meyer wrote:

l_objectif wrote:

For me, GX1 has the perfect size! I am very disappointed of the size of GX7, although I am well aware that on the paper, it should be a fantastic camera!... I was impatiently waiting for this camera; but as I need a "portable", now I am not sure I am going to get it at this size!

As for the looks, to me Nex 6 looks the best of the bunch. I still can't get over with fat design of the GX7 grip! It really doesn't go with the rest!

I'm just blown away by some of the comments on this forum. The GX7 is still a very small camera, and not really all that much bigger than the GX1:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#183,472

Just overlay the 1 on top of the 7.

If you want a point and shoot, buy a point and shoot. But how do you think Panasonic could possibly squeeze everything the GX7 offers, AND the decent control layout, into a smaller package? Yes, the NEX is smaller, but the control layout pretty much sucks, and you have to resort to the (horrible) menu system to do things that are controlled by buttons or switches on Panasonic cameras.

And for those of us who like to use our cameras, rather than look at them, that grip is a Godsend.

i dont know about the gx1, but anything longer, taller, or thicker than my e-p1 is too big. looking at the specs, the gx7 is too large for my needs. 8mm longer is significant over the gx1.

Paco 316
Paco 316 Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

The GX7's shutter button is in a very awkward position. Having that "lumpy" grip, why not put it there like the NEX camera?

In my eyes, E-P5 es the best looking camera of them all. Main reason is being faithful to the classic PEN look but with a touch of today's modern finish.

The GX7 is "retro" looking? To what, I ask? It has no history like the PEN does.

Good shooting!

Paco 316's gear list:Paco 316's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +12 more
24hrexposure Regular Member • Posts: 297

sderdiarian wrote:

Found it fun to see them all side by side and maybe helpful for those shopping around. You can't say there aren't choices available in rangefinder style mirrorless cameras anymore!

http://j.mp/17XuAgg

A better comparison is to the Fuji X-M1.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.369,459.94,472.5,466.388,wa,f

The Sony and the Fuji with their APS-C sensors are impressive considering they're smaller than the GX7. Whoever makes a full-frame of similar size is going to sweep the market.

24hrexposure's gear list:24hrexposure's gear list
Gimp +1 more
24hrexposure Regular Member • Posts: 297

Jerodequin wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

There's no disadvantage to having a short flange distance: the lens maker can always build in an 'extension tube' of sorts and use the same lens design they might for longer flange distances like Canon's EF-S. There might be a compromise if they angle their microlenses on the sensor inward to accommodate very close lenses, which would diminish the quality of telephotos.

24hrexposure's gear list:24hrexposure's gear list
Gimp +1 more
dpreviewreader Contributing Member • Posts: 502

Another perspective to consider. GX7 is actually significantly thicker than the EP-5 and the latter handles fairly well according to DPR's preview.

http://j.mp/12NETpb

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,833

ttan98 wrote:

Compared to NEX 6, the GX7 is heavy and thicker, not so easy to handle!!!

To give you some comparison, I have an EP3 it is already heavier and thicker than NEX 5n/6, both EP5 and GX7 are heavier than EP3.

" NEX 5n/6,"

The NEX-5n, a discontinued model, is smaller than the NEX-6.

The current model of the 5 line is the NEX-5R which is much smaller than any of the cameras in this comparison. I have one and in fact the body, taking away the handle, is the same size as my E-PM1.

DXO overall score of the 5R is 78, the same as the NEX-6.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

igorek7 wrote:

Add standard kit lenses and look from the top: http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.88,459.92,472.374,371.359,wa,t

The standard kit lens for the NEX-6 is the tiny compact power zoom, 16-50 mm. Not the 18-55 as on your listing.

igorek7 wrote:

I didn't suspect that people like power-zooms, but here we are: http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.360,472.335,wa,t

However, I would choose primes, instead. Something like this:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.85,472.352,wa,t

The smallest prime you can get for the m43 and NEX cameras is the Olly 15/2.8 bodycap lens.

I use it on my  NEX-3 as it is very sharp there. Since smallness seems to be very important to you.

bryanchicken wrote:

Yeah, primes for the IQ all the way.

But that power zoom (and the pany m43 one) are useful lenses for minimising size/weight while still maintaining a bit of flexibility, he says having never owned either

Not as fast but you could also choose the well received sigma for either, which is smaller than the one you picked for the nex:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.117,472.30,wa,t

Having never owned/handled a nex i'm fairly impressed with the size of it with the power zoom and a set of sigmas.
The 55-210mm is fairly massive compared to the 40-150mm Oly though

This is where I set aside my NEX and pick up one of my m43's with the 40-150R.

tt321
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,965

And while maybe Panasonic couldn't squeeze everything the GX7 offers into a small package, I think Sony could and eventually will. The NEX-6 small, the NEX-5N is even smaller (though lacks the EVF)--and both of those have an APS-C-sized sensor.

This is true on paper, but neither the power zoom nor the primes of reasonable FL's can made these NEX models pocketable. The only lens that allows this is too wide for use as an only lens, for most situations.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads