Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229
Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Found it fun to see them all side by side and maybe helpful for those shopping around.  You can't say there aren't choices available in rangefinder style mirrorless cameras anymore!

http://j.mp/17XuAgg

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Manip16 Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1
ttan98 Senior Member • Posts: 2,278

Compared to NEX 6, the GX7 is heavy and thicker, not so easy to handle!!!

To give you some comparison, I have an EP3 it is already heavier and thicker than NEX 5n/6, both EP5 and GX7 are heavier than EP3.

MikeInRomsey
MikeInRomsey Regular Member • Posts: 292

Yes but GX7 only weighs 407g according to Panasonics announcement. Rather different to camerasize quoted 500g plus figure!

MikeInRomsey's gear list:MikeInRomsey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
igorek7
igorek7 Regular Member • Posts: 284

Add standard kit lenses and look from the top: http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.88,459.92,472.374,371.359,wa,t

igorek7's gear list:igorek7's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samsung NX500 Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more
bryanchicken Regular Member • Posts: 309

igorek7 wrote:

Add standard kit lenses and look from the top: http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.88,459.92,472.374,371.359,wa,t

The standard kit lens on the 6 in the UK seems to be the much smaller 16-50mm power zoom.

It makes the NEX very compact

Grobb
Grobb Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
Spend more time in the gym

How many ounces heavier? :/

igorek7
igorek7 Regular Member • Posts: 284

I didn't suspect that people like power-zooms, but here we are: http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.360,472.335,wa,t

However, I would choose primes, instead. Something like this:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.85,472.352,wa,t

igorek7's gear list:igorek7's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samsung NX500 Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more

Yeah, primes for the IQ all the way.

But that power zoom (and the pany m43 one) are useful lenses for minimising size/weight while still maintaining a bit of flexibility, he says having never owned either

Not as fast but you could also choose the well received sigma for either, which is smaller than the one you picked for the nex:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.117,472.30,wa,t

Having never owned/handled a nex i'm fairly impressed with the size of it with the power zoom and a set of sigmas.
 The 55-210mm is fairly massive compared to the 40-150mm Oly though

igorek7 wrote:

I didn't suspect that people like power-zooms, but here we are: http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.360,472.335,wa,t

However, I would choose primes, instead. Something like this:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.85,472.30,wa,t

I genuinely wonder why the NEX cameras are able to be that much thinner than the GX7. I mean, let's ignore the handgrip and the eyepiece, just purely in terms of the camera body itself the NEX is a fair little bit thinner.

They have the same tilting screen, both have a flash, etc. Why is the NEX 6 thinner? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,389
Small huh

Manip16 wrote:

I genuinely wonder why the NEX cameras are able to be that much thinner than the GX7. I mean, let's ignore the handgrip and the eyepiece, just purely in terms of the camera body itself the NEX is a fair little bit thinner.

They have the same tilting screen, both have a flash, etc. Why is the NEX 6 thinner? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I went from a Panasonic G2 to a NEX-7 and when the guy came out with the NEX-7, I just said "What the ....... heck is that !!" How on earth did they get a 24 meg APS-C sensor in that thing, but they did. It was an eye opener for sure. Still amazes me.

All the best.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Re: Small huh

The 5 series is even smaller. Not much from the top/bottom view but check out the front/back views!
No EVF though which saves space, or pop-up flash.

nzmacro wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

I went from a Panasonic G2 to a NEX-7 and when the guy came out with the NEX-7, I just said "What the ....... heck is that !!" How on earth did they get a 24 meg APS-C sensor in that thing, but they did. It was an eye opener for sure. Still amazes me.

All the best.

Danny.

bryanchicken wrote:

The 5 series is even smaller. Not much from the top/bottom view but check out the front/back views!

I'm all about smaller size and weight, but I won't give up too much in terms of utility and ergonomics. That's the nice thing about both the NEX 6 and 7 and the m43 E-P5, G5/5, et al, is that it is a "no compromise" smaller size and weight. Still great ergonomics, internal flashes are in most cameras, and an EVF.

I think I would have jumped ship to the NEX already, but m43 just has too good of a lens selection, and due to physics an m43 lens will always be lighter than a NEX lens. APS-C just means more surface area to cover, which means more glass, and you cannot get around that fact.

I will show my ignorance on such matters here no doubt, but anyway:

Is it not possible to do collapsible longer zooms? I know that zooms normally means lower IQ than primes and its likely that collapsible zooms means the same vs zooms. But for the amateur/novice/upgrader from p&s i could see such lenses (if they are possible) being very popular.
I'm not overly bothered by weight, but i dislike size as i often don't carry a bag.
You've got the pany collapsible which does equiv 90mm, the collapsible NEX which does equiv 75 equiv. Even the 14-42 oly kit collapses down when not in use (which is good as that is when you want it small)

Manip16 wrote:

bryanchicken wrote:

I'm all about smaller size and weight, but I won't give up too much in terms of utility and ergonomics. That's the nice thing about both the NEX 6 and 7 and the m43 E-P5, G5/5, et al, is that it is a "no compromise" smaller size and weight. Still great ergonomics, internal flashes are in most cameras, and an EVF.

I think I would have jumped ship to the NEX already, but m43 just has too good of a lens selection, and due to physics an m43 lens will always be lighter than a NEX lens. APS-C just means more surface area to cover, which means more glass, and you cannot get around that fact.

nzmacro

Manip16 wrote:

bryanchicken wrote:

Depends on what both systems have.

I need longer lenses and both NEX and m4/3 miss out in that area, so I use legacy lenses. The lens sizes don't change no matter what camera they are on, so NEX is about as small as I can get within reasons for the body size. If you need native lenses, well the size difference is there, but not by a lot when you add in the body size.

If you are into small lenses then both systems have them. Its not exactly double the size though

All the best and I'm always interested in m4/3, always have been.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,756

igorek7 wrote:

And the GX1 for comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.88,472.374,183.374,459.92,371.359,wa,t

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,756

nzmacro wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

bryanchicken wrote:

I need longer lenses and both NEX and m4/3 miss out in that area, so I use legacy lenses. The lens sizes don't change no matter what camera they are on, so NEX is about as small as I can get within reasons for the body size. If you need native lenses, well the size difference is there, but not by a lot when you add in the body size.

If you are into small lenses then both systems have them. Its not exactly double the size though

Bingo in the lens department!

I use a bunch of adapted manual lenses that simply are not available for M4/3 or NEX. The fact that, with the appropriate adaptors, my lenses are platform agnostic, gives me the freedom to use pretty much any mirrorless camera body I choose, simply by purchasing a few inexpensive lens adaptors.

BTW, the GX7 grip looks great to me. The NEX grips I've tried strike me as a bit too wide, while being a bit too close to the body. The grips on the Oly and Fuji bodies are a bit like non-skid plates rather than solid, ergonomic grips.

It remains to be seen how the offset lens to viewfinder configuration handles and how well it works for close-up and macro shooting. I've tried the NEX cameras a few times and find it quite awkward. It reminds me of the dark days of shooting with rangefinder film cameras (Konica II, Konica Auto S2).

How does the NEX viewfinder offset work for you doing macro shooting, Danny?

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,207

jeffharris wrote:

igorek7 wrote:

And the GX1 for comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.88,472.374,183.374,459.92,371.359,wa,t

For me, GX1 has the perfect size! I am very disappointed of the size of GX7, although I am well aware that on the paper, it should be a fantastic camera!... I was impatiently waiting for this camera; but as I need a "portable", now I am not sure I am going to get it at this size!

As for the looks, to me Nex 6 looks the best of the bunch. I still can't get over with fat design of the GX7 grip! It really doesn't go with the rest!

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +10 more
nzmacro

jeffharris wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Bingo in the lens department!

I use a bunch of adapted manual lenses that simply are not available for M4/3 or NEX. The fact that, with the appropriate adaptors, my lenses are platform agnostic, gives me the freedom to use pretty much any mirrorless camera body I choose, simply by purchasing a few inexpensive lens adaptors.

BTW, the GX7 grip looks great to me. The NEX grips I've tried strike me as a bit too wide, while being a bit too close to the body. The grips on the Oly and Fuji bodies are a bit like non-skid plates rather than solid, ergonomic grips.

It remains to be seen how the offset lens to viewfinder configuration handles and how well it works for close-up and macro shooting. I've tried the NEX cameras a few times and find it quite awkward. It reminds me of the dark days of shooting with rangefinder film cameras (Konica II, Konica Auto S2).

How does the NEX viewfinder offset work for you doing macro shooting, Danny?

Grips don't tend to worry me much Jeff with what we both use. Most of the weight is in the lenses and the camera tends to be just a guide with a button. I guess I must use the grip, never thought about it Jeff. Hmm, thinking about it, if I had to pick the best grip it would be the old G2 mate, but with the 500mm its more about the weight and control of the lens.

The 800mm gets dumped on the tripod so that's different again.

The EVF on the left hand side you mean Jeff ?. I'm a strange one and so the guys next to me say with both eyes open, I find that helps with the quick timing needed and that also lets me see anything coming into a perch from the left hand side, so I do shoot with my right eye at the EVF.

If I was a left eyed shooter, that might well be awkward Jeff. In fact it would be, I don't like to think about that to be honest mate I see what you mean. Right eyed shooter, no problem and I find it better than I did with the SLR's in the centre.

BTW, I've been thinking of adding a Nikkor 400 ED F/3.5 AI along the way. Canon never really made a decent 400mm which was corrected in any way. Have to save up for it though.

All the best Jeff and the GX7 does look good mate. If the sensor is a good one, it's interesting and 1/8000 I could use for sure, adjustable focus peaking, could be a good one for you Jeff  

Danny.

-- hide signature --
amvrvd Regular Member • Posts: 223

Let me take the opportunity to gloat here and tell all the naysayers that refused to accept that an EVF could fit inside an E-P5 sized camera (GX7) and say: I TOLD YOU SO !!!

I wonder where are the hordes of nitpickers, naysayers and just plain DSLR lovers that told me time and again that such a camera would end up being X-Pro 1 sized, HA ! 3 years saying the same mantra and now they're quiet.

Also, for those who wonder why m4/3 cameras are thicker, it mostly has to do with IBIS, most of the time NEX cameras end up being compared with Oly cameras and in this case the GX7 shares the same space-hoarding IBIS, so no surprise seeing that it's heavier and thicker. I would've traded the mag alloy construction for something lighter but I can understand Pany going premium on this camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads