Has anyone actually tested their X100 hyperfocal distances?

Started Jul 31, 2013 | Discussions
andywhoa
andywhoa Regular Member • Posts: 417
Has anyone actually tested their X100 hyperfocal distances?

I'm leaving on a trip to Colorado in a couple of days, and I wanted to make sure my assumed hyperfocal distances were right.

From what I've previous gathered, the hyperfocal distances for f/8, f/11, and f/16 are 11', 8', and 6' respectively.  This gives puts your DoF's back edge at infinity and front edge at 5.5', 4', and 3' respectively.

For each focal length, I took a shot at the assumed focal distance, then took 4 more shots, focusing 1 foot farther each time.

After doing my tests, my preferred focusing distance for f/8, f/11, and f/16 are now 15', 10', and 7' respectively.  This puts my DoF's back edge at infinity and front edge at 7.5', 5', and 3.5' respectively.

As you can see, I've lost some distance.

Has anyone else had similar findings?

andywhoa's gear list:andywhoa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MrChristopher
MrChristopher Senior Member • Posts: 1,296
Re: Has anyone actually tested their X100 hyperfocal distances?

There are phone apps that will calculate this for you. Search for simple depth of field or simple dof
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/
http://www.facebook.com/ChrisCurnuttPhotography

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
andywhoa
OP andywhoa Regular Member • Posts: 417

I know.  I've looked at many.  Almost all of them produce different numbers.

My starting numbers are the best assumed based on some of these apps and information I've gathered from around the web regarding the X100.

Fujifilm X-T1
nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515

andywhoa wrote:

I'm leaving on a trip to Colorado in a couple of days, and I wanted to make sure my assumed hyperfocal distances were right.

From what I've previous gathered, the hyperfocal distances for f/8, f/11, and f/16 are 11', 8', and 6' respectively. This gives puts your DoF's back edge at infinity and front edge at 5.5', 4', and 3' respectively.

For each focal length, I took a shot at the assumed focal distance, then took 4 more shots, focusing 1 foot farther each time.

After doing my tests, my preferred focusing distance for f/8, f/11, and f/16 are now 15', 10', and 7' respectively. This puts my DoF's back edge at infinity and front edge at 7.5', 5', and 3.5' respectively.

I do not own an X100, but I get the following calculated hyperfocal distances:

f/8: 11.4'

f/11: 8.3'

f/16: 5.7'

Those should be very accurate, assuming a sensor size of 23.6 x 15.8 mm.

Regarding any potential discrepancies, what remains as a source of potential error is what you call "assumed focal distance". Did you actually put an object at these exact distances and focus on it, or did you set the focal distance some other way?

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
andywhoa

The X100 has a distance scale on it (you can switch between meters and feet).

I just didn't prefer the focus of the background until I reached the distances I listed.  Of course, that's technically subjective, since the focus near the edge of your DoF isn't going to be as good as the actual focal point. We're also talking about zooming 100% here.

Here's an example:

Photo 1 is f/8 focused at 12 feet.

Photo 2 is f/8 focused at 15 feet.

Fujifilm X-T1
FWTOQA Regular Member • Posts: 268

The values you have mentioned are reasonable but there's nothing accurate about using hyperfocal distance values. There are too many guesses, not least the confusion over which circle of confusion value to use, and the accuracy of the measured or assumed (in your case) distance.

Many authorities suggest getting the value then just to be safe stop down one more stop.

So effectively focussing at the f8 HFD then stop down to f11. Try the dofmaster.com site, that has some useful info.

CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 697

There is no correct hyperfocal distance.

The Fuji scale is very conservative. The standard scales are too lenient in my view.

You need to go old-school and figure out what an appropriate CoC is for your needs then do your calculations accordingly.

If you use the Fuji scales you are unlikely to find things are not sharp enough even up to pretty large prints.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
andywhoa

I think stopping down is a good idea with this camera. My own tests seem to suggest that. In fact, the distances I ended up like are almost exactly 1 stop down.

Fujifilm X-T1
slunce Regular Member • Posts: 187

CraigArnold wrote:

There is no correct hyperfocal distance.

The Fuji scale is very conservative. The standard scales are too lenient in my view.

You need to go old-school and figure out what an appropriate CoC is for your needs then do your calculations accordingly.

If you use the Fuji scales you are unlikely to find things are not sharp enough even up to pretty large prints.

I agree.

I found out that aligning the DOF to the right edge of the meter is not enough. It requires me to do "one more AF motor click" to the right, moving the DOF bar "beyond" the meter edge to achieve critical sharpness. I use that and it seems to be OK for all apertures between 5.6 and 16.

EDIT: the above is actually for x100s, not sure if applicable for x100.

Regards,

Petr

-- hide signature --

www.sluncephotography.com

andywhoa

On the X100, say you've focused at 15 ft with an aperture of f/16, the DoF bar will go nowhere near infinity.  That is why the Fuji DoF is very conservative.  For the purposes of landscape, focus should be at infinity though.  Fifteen feet at that sensor size with that aperture with that focal length is past any hyperfocal calculation.

Fujifilm X-T1
FWTOQA Regular Member • Posts: 268

andywhoa wrote:

On the X100, say you've focused at 15 ft with an aperture of f/16, the DoF bar will go nowhere near infinity. That is why the Fuji DoF is very conservative. For the purposes of landscape, focus should be at infinity though. Fifteen feet at that sensor size with that aperture with that focal length is past any hyperfocal calculation.

The DOF bar on the X100 is not simply conservative, it's wrong. It's "common" knowledge. The reason suggested is that Fuji did the calcs based on the lens being an actual 35mm, rather than a 23mm equivalent to 35mm

I don't know if this assumption is right or wrong, but I do know that the DOF bar is wrong. Distance indicator seems OK, but ignore the DOF indicator.

Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,183
It's all about compromise...

andywhoa wrote:

I think stopping down is a good idea with this camera. My own tests seem to suggest that. In fact, the distances I ended up like are almost exactly 1 stop down.

It all depends what you want to achieve. Stopping down will also move you away from the (sweet spot f/4-f/5.6) best sharpness of the lens and you might trade DOF for a sharper image.

Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
andywhoa
Re: It's all about compromise...

You are absolutely right.

However, what I think he's suggesting (and what I am suggesting) is not actually stopping down the aperture.  We're talking about using the supposed hyperforcal distance for f/5.6 at f/8, f/8 at f/11, f/11 at f/16, etc.

Fujifilm X-T1
Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,183
Re: It's all about compromise...

andywhoa wrote:

You are absolutely right.

However, what I think he's suggesting (and what I am suggesting) is not actually stopping down the aperture. We're talking about using the supposed hyperforcal distance for f/5.6 at f/8, f/8 at f/11, f/11 at f/16, etc.

You lost me here. Are we talking about theoretical parameters or practical applications? Even if you figure out the correct hyperfocal distance for each different aperture, then you still have to apply it in the field.

Well, Fuji's DOF scale is known not to be of much help and therefore you're much better off to ignore it. Anyway, once you understand the DOF for each aperture it becomes second nature of how to apply it in your shot. I know it was easier in the old days when you set up your manual lens accordingly.

Anyhow, just to stop down one more notch because you don't trust Fuji's DOF measurement (as Petr suggested), is not the way to go IMHO.

Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
cake4john New Member • Posts: 6

After much research and testing, I have found the best settings for the x100 series to be F11 @ 11.  That means set your aperture at F11 and manually focus at 11ft. Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

John W.
Fuji x100t

cake4john's gear list:cake4john's gear list
Fujifilm X100T
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,193

andywhoa wrote:

From what I've previous gathered, the hyperfocal distances for f/8, f/11, and f/16 are 11', 8', and 6' respectively. This gives puts your DoF's back edge at infinity and front edge at 5.5', 4', and 3' respectively.

After doing my tests, my preferred focusing distance for f/8, f/11, and f/16 are now 15', 10', and 7' respectively. This puts my DoF's back edge at infinity and front edge at 7.5', 5', and 3.5' respectively.

Did you check the accuracy of the focus distances ? They are a bit approximaritive and it may depend on the temperature for instance.

Also, when the lens is stopped down, the focus point may move sligjtly (called focus shift).

Anyway, the distance scale is a rough guide, I would not follow it strictly. Some lenses can have very accurate dof scales but I don't:t think this is the case with X100 or Fuji lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads