Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

Started Jul 31, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
manaskarekar OP Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

Thanks to the AWESOMENESS that is amazon, I received it Friday. Got a chance to take some simple pictures, and I'm absolutely blown away! It's a very well designed camera. It's barely pocketable in shorts, not in jeans.

Calling the battery life a non-issue is a stretch. It is a non issue if you are going to carry a camera bag everywhere you go. This weekend, I had to constantly carry an extra battery in my pocket and charge the batteries at every possible opportunity. It is without a doubt, a major issue.

There are workarounds, but none as convenient as decent battery life.

That said, I am glad I did not wait and bought this camera right away. The keeper rate seems to be really high, and I can most definitely feel the 'special foveon' look.

Soon, I'm going to be doing some comparisons to my existing gear and make some hard choices.

 manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Fenwoodian Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

manaskarekar wrote:

Thanks to the AWESOMENESS that is amazon, I received it Friday. Got a chance to take some simple pictures, and I'm absolutely blown away! It's a very well designed camera. It's barely pocketable in shorts, not in jeans.

Calling the battery life a non-issue is a stretch. It is a non issue if you are going to carry a camera bag everywhere you go. This weekend, I had to constantly carry an extra battery in my pocket and charge the batteries at every possible opportunity. It is without a doubt, a major issue.

There are workarounds, but none as convenient as decent battery life.

That said, I am glad I did not wait and bought this camera right away. The keeper rate seems to be really high, and I can most definitely feel the 'special foveon' look.

Soon, I'm going to be doing some comparisons to my existing gear and make some hard choices.

I own 2 Merrill's.  When I go on a multi-day photosafari I carry 10 fully charged batteries.

I figure it's a small price to pay for such exceptional IQ!

 Fenwoodian's gear list:Fenwoodian's gear list
Pentax K-1
manaskarekar OP Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

Here are some quick point and shoot samples. Didn't adjust for exposure or anything, just RAW > TIFF > LR > JPEG. (LR step wasn't needed, just did it cause I wanted to play around.)

 manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
manaskarekar OP Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?
2

victorgv wrote:

manaskarekar wrote:

Kwick1 wrote:

I sure hope so, I just bought one!

-- hide signature --

As did I.

SigmaChrome wrote:

Yes, now is a good time to buy. If you really want a DP2M, now is the very best time to buy one. Before they were released or announced would have be a bad time to buy. When they are no longer being produced would also be a bad time (you know... parts, warranty, etc.).

Seriously though... Sigma's camera release cycle is not fast. If you really like the output of the DP2M, then buy one. IMO it's highly unlikely that Sigma will produce a replacement camera for at least another 12 months. I bought mine last December and I'm sure I haven't begun to get the most out of it. And the DP3M... wow!

-- hide signature --

Agreed. But you know, Murphy's law and all that. Can't wait for mine to come in.

In US if you bought camera or lens after july 1 of this year you get 4 year warranty after registration.

And i am afraid you will have to redo your gallery with your new camera they beg for Merrill's and big print

Well what do you know victorgv, you were right. Just a couple of days with this camera and I can't stop clicking everything around me

I made this in honor of my initial impressions with the camera. (I'll remove it if it's not okay to post that here).

 manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
glacierpete Senior Member • Posts: 1,917
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

manaskarekar wrote:

I'm really really tempted to purchase the DP2M for the past few weeks and have been putting it off because of the price and how long it's been out.

Please forgive me if it's obvious and mentioned somewhere but from some decent googling and looking at past Sigma Foveon related release dates I'm unable to make a decision.

Simple question, should I buy a DP2M today? I do not NEED one, and I do not mind waiting for 3-4 months, but I'd rather be out there shooting. Are we just around the corner of a new DP successor?

Thanks a lot.

Sigma Germany has a current cashback promo, when you already own a DPxM, SD1 or SD1M, you get a € 240 discount on another DPxM. It brings the price of a brandnew DP2M or DP3M from about €750 down to €500. Runs till 09. August 2013.

https://www.sigma-foto.de/cashback.html

Question, is it just for increasing DPxM sales or making space for new models

BTW the battery was never a problem for me. Spares a cheap and small. But I really miss an EVF.

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 15,187
Maybe they are prepping a DP2Ms, like the successor to the original DP2.

Wouldn't bother me (just bought a DP2M) as I never replaced my original DP2 with the s or x upgrades...in fact, the firmware upgrade to the DP2 made it about the same as a DP2s.

Seems a bit early for an upgrade, but even if they did announce one, it might take a while to show up, be at a higher price, and may not offer much improvement, if any.

 Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +4 more
3dreal Senior Member • Posts: 2,271
Re: Maybe they are prepping a DP2Ms, like the successor to the original DP2.

Until most of the DPxMs are sold there will be no new ones. Bet we will see more price drops.

-- hide signature --

www.stereopan.org

Johan Borg Senior Member • Posts: 2,340
Re: Maybe they are prepping a DP2Ms, like the successor to the original DP2.

Corkcampbell wrote:

Seems a bit early for an upgrade, but even if they did announce one, it might take a while to show up, be at a higher price, and may not offer much improvement, if any.

Exactly. Sigma tends to announce cameras quite early. I remember I was a bit upset when the SD1 was announced just after I received my SD15, but by the time the SD1 came to market and the price came down to reason, the SD15 had been put to good use already.

manaskarekar OP Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Maybe they are prepping a DP2Ms, like the successor to the original DP2.
1

After owning it for a few days, in hindsight I can say I made a mistake by buying this camera now. I should have bought it when they launched it.

 manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
FritsThomsen Senior Member • Posts: 2,759
Re: Maybe they are prepping a DP2Ms, like the successor to the original DP2.

manaskarekar wrote:

After owning it for a few days, in hindsight I can say I made a mistake by buying this camera now. I should have bought it when they launched it.

 Nice

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,426
deal breaking battery ??

manaskarekar wrote:

I was waiting for a DP M with improved battery life, which was a borderline deal killer for me.

It is funny to read that. each to his own but CONSIDERING the kind of pictures the dpm's allow to take ( not a camera meant for  fast pace)  i think the drawback of the battery capacity is not THAT important.. especially when you consider the size of that battery and its charger

but of course everyone can decide what is deal breaker .. i just find this to be a non issue ..

that being said I am bias having a Ricoh gr which uses the same battery

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II +22 more
SigmaChrome Veteran Member • Posts: 8,087
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

glacierpete wrote:

Sigma Germany has a current cashback promo, when you already own a DPxM, SD1 or SD1M, you get a € 240 discount on another DPxM. It brings the price of a brandnew DP2M or DP3M from about €750 down to €500. Runs till 09. August 2013.

https://www.sigma-foto.de/cashback.html

Question, is it just for increasing DPxM sales or making space for new models

Yes, Sigma wants to boost sales of DPM cameras outside Japan (where they are selling quite well). As far as I know there are no new models on the horizon. For some reason they are targeting existing Sigma camera users. This makes some sense, but I think it would make even more sense if they offered a discount to everyone... or even reversed the idea and offered a discount to folks who have never owned a Sigma camera.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +14 more
manaskarekar OP Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

A quick grab from the roadside, cropped to about 60-65%. Less than a week of owning this camera and I'm loving it. The 'YOYO' part isn't tack sharp because it was vibrating (understandably). Check out the other areas though,  so much detail!

 manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
SigmaChrome Veteran Member • Posts: 8,087
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

manaskarekar wrote:

A quick grab from the roadside, cropped to about 60-65%. Less than a week of owning this camera and I'm loving it. The 'YOYO' part isn't tack sharp because it was vibrating (understandably). Check out the other areas though, so much detail!

Yo! True dat.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +14 more
manaskarekar OP Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

One more. The detail and microcontrast just blow me away! This is cropped to about 45-50% (I'm guessing, it could be more or less)

 manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
RStyga
RStyga Regular Member • Posts: 292
DP2 Merrill handling question

I can't get my hands on one and would like to know whether the buttons at the back are rubber or hard plastic and whether they 'click' or have a firm stop. They look horrible and made of rubber. I, too, consider purchasing one if the handling is OK otherwise wait for a new model. Apologies for posting this here, perhaps not the most relevant thread, but I cannot create a new thread for some weird reason.

Johan Borg Senior Member • Posts: 2,340
Re: DP2 Merrill handling question

The physical handling of the DP Merrills feels rather premium, including the plastic buttons. It's much better in this respect than the previous generation.

The only part about its handling that I sometimes find frustrating is the processing time after a shot is taken. Sure, you can quickly continue shooting, but if you want to zoom in for critical review, you need to wait a few seconds. Buy a fast SD card...

PrebenR Senior Member • Posts: 3,395
Re: DP2 Merrill handling question

Johan Borg wrote:

The physical handling of the DP Merrills feels rather premium, including the plastic buttons. It's much better in this respect than the previous generation.

Absolutely and much better than the m43 cameras I have.

The only part about its handling that I sometimes find frustrating is the processing time after a shot is taken. Sure, you can quickly continue shooting, but if you want to zoom in for critical review, you need to wait a few seconds. Buy a fast SD card...

Nice comment at 7:40

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

PrebenR Senior Member • Posts: 3,395
Re: Is now a good time to purchase a DP 2 Merrill, is a DP successor around the corner?

SigmaChrome wrote:

or even reversed the idea and offered a discount to folks who have never owned a Sigma camera.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

As for DPxM interest; I'm following a used marked forum in Norway and seldomly a DPxM comes up for sale. Within 1-2 days it is sold. Compare that to RX1 which there are more of and has been on sale for weeks.

I think more people now are curious about the Foveon cameras than ever before.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

manaskarekar OP Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: DP2 Merrill handling question

RStyga wrote:

I can't get my hands on one and would like to know whether the buttons at the back are rubber or hard plastic and whether they 'click' or have a firm stop. They look horrible and made of rubber. I, too, consider purchasing one if the handling is OK otherwise wait for a new model. Apologies for posting this here, perhaps not the most relevant thread, but I cannot create a new thread for some weird reason.

Build quality is something you will absolutely enjoy on the DP2M. It's a very solid build with very nice feedback buttons and dials. Nothing on the DPMs feels horrible in terms of build. They're a solid metal brick.

I wish more cameras were built to this standard.

 manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads