Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Discussions
gmcooper Regular Member • Posts: 326
Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

I think I have this right: The M was introduced in July 2012 and previewed by DPR. Since that time, a quick count shows that DPR has reviewed over 100 new cameras. I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

 gmcooper's gear list:gmcooper's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
tomtom50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,244
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M
4

gmcooper wrote:

I think I have this right: The M was introduced in July 2012 and previewed by DPR. Since that time, a quick count shows that DPR has reviewed over 100 new cameras. I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

For a year it didn't sell.

Now Canon is dumping inventory (you can always buy sales) and sending signals they might abandon the US market.

I have an m and I hope they review it, but it is easy to understand why they might not.

 tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS M Sony a6000
Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M
2

tomtom50 wrote:

Now Canon is dumping inventory (you can always buy sales) and sending signals they might abandon the US market.

That's just your interpretation of what they're doing.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

gmcooper wrote:

I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

The reason they didn't review it is:

"we base our decisions partly on the feedback emails we get , partly on the popularity of each camera on the site, and partly by reading the forums."

Even with that said, the EOS-M, despite it's poor market performance, deserves a review based just upon the fact that it was Canon's first entry into the growing ILC market.

rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,635
I don't need an DPR review

gmcooper wrote:

I think I have this right: The M was introduced in July 2012 and previewed by DPR. Since that time, a quick count shows that DPR has reviewed over 100 new cameras. I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

I had been waiting for a jacket pocketable APS-c camera similar in size to my Canonet QL1.7 and when the M came out I liked it and the idea of being able to use it with my EF lenses.

I checked out the RAWs on Imaging Resource when they had them up in their "First Shots" segment prior to the review there.

I was waiting to see what the 70D and 7DII look like but I couldn't afford both the M and one of those bodies when they came out. However, when the price dropped on the M I could afford that luxury.

zapatista Regular Member • Posts: 250
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

gmcooper wrote:

I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

The reason they didn't review it is:

"we base our decisions partly on the feedback emails we get , partly on the popularity of each camera on the site, and partly by reading the forums."

Even with that said, the EOS-M, despite it's poor market performance, deserves a review based just upon the fact that it was Canon's first entry into the growing ILC market.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. The EOS M has been reviewed by most other places, some more than one time (pre/post-firmware update). What is it exactly you might be missing in order to make an informed decision about the camera. It's all out there.

 zapatista's gear list:zapatista's gear list
Sony a6000 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
sneakerpimp
sneakerpimp Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

at least we got a forum... a year later

 sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

zapatista wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

gmcooper wrote:

I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

The reason they didn't review it is:

"we base our decisions partly on the feedback emails we get , partly on the popularity of each camera on the site, and partly by reading the forums."

Even with that said, the EOS-M, despite it's poor market performance, deserves a review based just upon the fact that it was Canon's first entry into the growing ILC market.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. The EOS M has been reviewed by most other places, some more than one time (pre/post-firmware update). What is it exactly you might be missing in order to make an informed decision about the camera. It's all out there.

This is a thread discussing why the camera hasn't been reviewed by this website, not a thread discussing why I should go on other websites to read reviews.

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 7,813
Canon's fault?
1

I wonder if Canon:

1.) Didn't provide DPR with a production EOS M to review, or

2.) Canon requested that DPR not review the EOS M

because they didn't want the bad publicity of having DPR say bad thing's about the original EOS M's AF speed.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,018
not 100

gmcooper wrote:

I think I have this right: The M was introduced in July 2012 and previewed by DPR. Since that time, a quick count shows that DPR has reviewed over 100 new cameras.

I think your above statement is wrong. There is no way that DPR has reviewed 100 cameras in the last year.  Maybe 100 previews and reviews but not reviews alone.

I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

Goes against those that think DPR is pro-Canon.  But it could be that the didn't think it was worth their time since it was a very basic model.

Edmund Dorf
Edmund Dorf Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
DPreview Has Lost It's Way
2

They got bought out a few years ago. They are now focusing (no pun intended) on making money. They've lost track of what they were doing and should be doing and what made this web site valuable to photographers.

The EOS-M, like many other cameras and lenses were bypassed because nobody at DPreview noticed them.

Add to that the fact that the average worker now spends 6 out of 8 hours playing on their cell phones and their employer gets 2 hours of work while paying for 8. No wonder stuff gets missed.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon EOS-M with 18-55mm Zoom, 22mm prime, 11-22mm WA lens, and Canon 55mm F1.4 with adaptor.
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm HS50exr
Olympus PEN E-PL1 with Kit zoom lens, Olympus M.Zuiko
17mm F2.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm, Olympus 45mm F1.8, Canon FD 50mm F1.4, Olympus Zuiko 50mm F1.8, Pentax 135mm F2.5, Panasonic 20mm F1.7, Panasonic 14mm F2.5.
Panasonic DMC-GH2 with the kit lens, Panasonic 45-200, Panasonic 14-140mm, Panasonic X 14-42mm, and all of the lenses that I have for my Olympus PEN E-PL1
Panasonic HC-V700 camcorder
Sony DSC-RX100
Sony DSC-TX7

 Edmund Dorf's gear list:Edmund Dorf's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Panasonic FZ2500 Sony a6500 +8 more
Joe Talks Photo Gear
Joe Talks Photo Gear Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M
1

I don't need a DPR camera review on the M. Why does anyone a year on even if they just bought one? What changes?

If you have an opinion one way or the other about the camera invariably you will find evidence in support of that. So why worry about a review? Need affirmation of a decision one way or the other? When it doubt...count it out.

-- hide signature --

Joe

OP gmcooper Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M
1

I’ve had the M since last fall. I didn’t need a review to make the decision. I don’t need an affirmation. But isn’t DPR’s mission to pay attention to the most important cameras in the marketplace. And surely the M is among the 100 most important cameras in the last year.

 gmcooper's gear list:gmcooper's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
tomtom50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,244
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

gmcooper wrote:

I wonder why they never considered the M good enough to devote resources to reviewing it. One year later it appears to be among the cameras attracting the most interest.

The reason they didn't review it is:

"we base our decisions partly on the feedback emails we get , partly on the popularity of each camera on the site, and partly by reading the forums."

Even with that said, the EOS-M, despite it's poor market performance, deserves a review based just upon the fact that it was Canon's first entry into the growing ILC market.

Good point. Canon is a main player, and this was their mirrorless entry. Selling well or selling poorly it is an important camera to review.

I hope DPR did not bend to pressure from Canon. I like to believe that they make their own decisions. I hope I am not naive.

 tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS M Sony a6000
scrup Regular Member • Posts: 175
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M
1

I suspect the M would not have received a good review so DPReview basically skipped it so not to hurt sales any further.

There are already plenty of sites that do Camera reviews so they are the best bet if you are still trying to decide if this camera is for you.

 scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

Joe Talks Photo Gear wrote:

I don't need a DPR camera review on the M. Why does anyone a year on even if they just bought one? What changes?

If you have an opinion one way or the other about the camera invariably you will find evidence in support of that. So why worry about a review? Need affirmation of a decision one way or the other? When it doubt...count it out.

Do you know what this website does?

Edmund Dorf
Edmund Dorf Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
The Name Of This Web Site Is . . .
3

. . . Digital Photography Review. That's REVIEW. That's what they (are supposed) to do here.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:
Canon EOS-M with 18-55mm Zoom, 22mm prime, 11-22mm WA lens, and Canon 55mm F1.4 with adaptor.
Fujifilm E550
Fujifilm HS50exr
Olympus PEN E-PL1 with Kit zoom lens, Olympus M.Zuiko
17mm F2.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm, Olympus 45mm F1.8, Canon FD 50mm F1.4, Olympus Zuiko 50mm F1.8, Pentax 135mm F2.5, Panasonic 20mm F1.7, Panasonic 14mm F2.5.
Panasonic DMC-GH2 with the kit lens, Panasonic 45-200, Panasonic 14-140mm, Panasonic X 14-42mm, and all of the lenses that I have for my Olympus PEN E-PL1
Panasonic HC-V700 camcorder
Sony DSC-RX100
Sony DSC-TX7

 Edmund Dorf's gear list:Edmund Dorf's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Panasonic FZ2500 Sony a6500 +8 more
OP gmcooper Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: The Name Of This Web Site Is . . .

Outstanding, Edmund.

 gmcooper's gear list:gmcooper's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Joe Talks Photo Gear
Joe Talks Photo Gear Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Joe Talks Photo Gear wrote:

I don't need a DPR camera review on the M. Why does anyone a year on even if they just bought one? What changes?

If you have an opinion one way or the other about the camera invariably you will find evidence in support of that. So why worry about a review? Need affirmation of a decision one way or the other? When it doubt...count it out.

Do you know what this website does?

and they review plenty as well as snub many. Let's not make this about me. Get over it already.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Joe Talks Photo Gear
Joe Talks Photo Gear Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Wondering why DPReview ignored the M

scrup wrote:

I suspect the M would not have received a good review so DPReview basically skipped it so not to hurt sales any further.

There are already plenty of sites that do Camera reviews so they are the best bet if you are still trying to decide if this camera is for you.

There are other reviews as you say but would say it is conjecture to conclude the DPR would give a hoot about hurting sales of a brand. I do believe they have a collective and individual bias so that's another reason it is best to view several reviews to get a better view of how a camera may or may not be.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads