25mm as single-lens for OM-D?

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Questions
Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,857
Re: Much of the Time

I leave one prime on my camera much of the time and it is often the 25mm since that is what the eye sees.  The Panaleica 25mm is a fine lens for this.   Having said that, you'll want a wide angle and a telephoto too.  Since the OMD is so small, it is possible to take 2 or 3 lenses and it still won't approach the weight / size of an APS-C camera with a better quality zoom lens.

atamola Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: 25mm as single-lens for OM-D?
But now the question: is anybody using only one prime on the OM-D or comparable MFT camera?

Almost: E-P3 + 17 f2.8 + 25 f2.8

How is that working out for anyone out there? Problems, benefits of the one-lens kit...

It's working great. I'm leaving home with the E-P3 and one or the other. Just one prime at the time per day.

It's liberating, and puts great pressure on your creativity.

Example: just a few hours ago, on my way home, I stopped at some stairs rigth next to a supermarket. E-P3 + 25m f2.8. The restriction to only 1 focal lenght forced me to find the shot. There was a shot. There is always a shot. I zoom may offer you a quick way out, but that's not what I want. I stayed there for a few minutes, letting the scene reveal itself. The shot I ended up with (no masterpiece for sure) was much better than what I would have ended up with a zoom.

So, from my perspective, there is a great benefit that comes in the form of extra creativity.

Find the focal lenght that suits you (12mm, 17mm, 20mm, 25mm, 45mm), work with that and don't look back. I'm switching back and forth with the 17 and the 25, but I'm leaving with just one lens. The other stays at home.

It's a great way to go.

ramitche
ramitche Forum Member • Posts: 54

While I don't use just one prime, I the Panaleica 25mm used to be pretty much *glued* to the camera.  That is -- until I got the Oly 17 f/1.8.  While arguably inferior in terms of IQ, I seem to prefer the FOV of a 35mm lens.

ramitche's gear list:ramitche's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +8 more
azazel1024 Senior Member • Posts: 1,139

Not to be snarky, but you really have to ask about the problems of single (prime) lens setup? I'd think they'd be realtively straight forward. Probably works for some people though.

Personally it wouldn't ever work for me. Too limiting. I do prefer a prime kit, and if pushed I could live with just the 12mm, 25mm and 45mm. I prefer a 12, 17, 25, 45 setup with maybe something else on the longer end. I can spend most of a day with just the 25 or 12 on there only rarely switching to something else though.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
GingerBread Regular Member • Posts: 384

Ulric wrote:

Of course you can do that. A 50mm prime used to be the kit lens. I used my OM-1 with the single 50mm for a long time until I could afford additional lenses. Even now, I usually put on a single prime when I leave the house.

It certainly wasn't abnormal 30 years ago, I still have a Canon and a Minolta with their 50mm kit lenses from years back.  And I often use just the 50 on many outings with my D700 Nikon.  It is a matter of personal choice.  Even if my plan was to simply use one prime, I'd still prefer an interchangeable lens camera in case I changed my mind down the road.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +3 more
Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,744

It's your photographs, your camera and your money. If you only want to use one lens then do so.

I am always puzzled by these threads where people ask what lens so they should use.

If your photography only requires the use of one lens and you're happy to use a fixed focal length then why not ?

In the film days when most SLR cameras were supplied with a 50mm lens as standard it was very common to see people walking around with just the SLR and standard lens.

If you find it restrictive then later on when you can afford it you can get a different focal length. That's the advantage of interchangeable lens cameras.

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,930

toxinoz wrote:

If you want a one lens kit, buy a camera with a suitable fixed lens, thereby avoiding the theoretical issues around lens changing. Personally I could not contemplate losing the flexibility that an interchangeable camera brings to the table, combined of course with a selection of lenses, to cover different photographic requirements.

+1, exactly.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,648

+1

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

REShultz Senior Member • Posts: 1,108

BHPhotog wrote:

I just spent 4 days with the Panasonic/Leica 25mm, comparing/contrasting to my 12-50 OM-D kit lens.

As expected, the IQ of the 25mm is stunningly good; the ability to shoot wide open and soften/blur the background was a revelation; the ability to shoot low light amazing. It is as good as the reports say.

But now the question: is anybody using only one prime on the OM-D or comparable MFT camera?

I accept the greater flexibility of the zoom, and the ideal setup would be a range of primes, but what about a single lens prime setup? This one or another. How is that working out for anyone out there? Problems, benefits of the one-lens kit...

Brian

Many of the greats shot with one lens. I personally love the 50mm focal length.

REShultz Senior Member • Posts: 1,108

Abrak wrote:

It really doesnt make a lot of sense to buy an interchangeable lens camera and then only put one lens on it.

I would disagree with this statement. One focal length can teach you a lot about photography, how to work around problems, what types of limitations call for a lens change vs. another solution, and how to to "see" from a focal length.

If the OP finds themselves limited, the real point of the ILC comes into play: they can purchase another lens. But there is no hard and fast rule that one must have tons of lenses. I believe it was David Allan Harvey who was known for "one camera, one lens." Most of his stuff was shot with a 35mm lens.

And speaking of questionable conventional rules... Harvey also shot some of his "Rio" book with a Panasonic GF-1! So much for the tech talk around here that we need huge sensors!

eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,067
I did.

Iskender wrote:

Fundamentally, only you can learn what works for you. But it's certainly been done before!

I just returned from a 6 day hike in the Alps with just my G1 plus 1,7/20mm.

There were a few situations in towns and villages, when I would have liked a wider lens. But I walked around and got very satisfying pictures.

Even environmental close ups were no problem (insects, flowers). Only wildlife would have been a problem.

As a consequence, I now started to consider getting a Ricoh GR, because it is smaller and lighter. Maybe even a Fuji x100s.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,744

They would have to be into stereophotography to take their shots with more than one lens

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Omar Armas
Omar Armas Junior Member • Posts: 48

I used kit lens for a while, with very nice results and thanks to that, I discovered the macro world with pictures like this:

https://plus.google.com/photos/110026590902741006652/albums/5833261816211713681

Later, I bought the Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4 and man, what a great lens! I used it almost exclusively for months, with great results. However I couldn't take good macro or landscapes with it because of the focal length, I used the kit lens for that.

I was very happy for about almost a year with that, but then I bought the Olympus 75mm and man, what a great lens!

This is an impossible picture with PL 25mm:

https://plus.google.com/photos?pid=5894155820121602354&oid=110026590902741006652

it only worked with Oly 75mm.

I'd say yes, you can live only with 25mm if you only care about portrait for example, but if you like macro, landscape or fashion, you'll need more.

Omar
G+ profile
OMD EM5
Olympus 12-50mm
Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm F1.4
Olympus 75mm F1.8

poohduck New Member • Posts: 24

This is an old discussion, but I am interested in this question too.

I'm going travelling for a month and will probably be getting an e-m1 and one lens. I like the idea of one lens, or more probably, not having to bother with changing lenses or wondering if I have the right lens.

One lens doesn't have to be forever though - there's the wonderful flexibility of interchangable lenses.

None of the fixed lens cameras interest me for various reasons, the main reason being that the zoom or prime is at the wide end. I tend to be more interested in the longer end. I'm considering 35-100mm f2.8, 75mm 1.8, 25mm f1.8 or either of the two macros. I'm probably tending toward the 60mm macro or the 35-100mm simply because they are both weather sealed - I have a habit of getting wet. The 25mm f1.8 appeals to me too though - I could imagine using this for street shots.

h2odog
h2odog Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

Does anyone really care what lens someone uses? Have fun, enjoy photography!

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,390

If you're into the single lens thing, a fast normal is hard to beat. I prefer a two lens kit when I'm in minimal mode, and for me the Summilux-DG 25 and Macro-Elmarit-DG 45 mm are just about right for that.

-- hide signature --
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 7,431

BHPhotog wrote:

I just spent 4 days with the Panasonic/Leica 25mm, comparing/contrasting to my 12-50 OM-D kit lens.

As expected, the IQ of the 25mm is stunningly good; the ability to shoot wide open and soften/blur the background was a revelation; the ability to shoot low light amazing. It is as good as the reports say.

I accept the greater flexibility of the zoom, and the ideal setup would be a range of primes, but what about a single lens prime setup? This one or another. How is that working out for anyone out there? Problems, benefits of the one-lens kit...

Brian

Each to there own but myself and many others would more than likely prefer something a little wider for a single only prime, probably something between 17 and 20mm.

eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,067
Yes, you can.

BHPhotog wrote:

When I go hiking for a week I just take the Panasonic 20mm F1,7 - for exactly the reasons you give above, plus the ability to focus down to 0,2m. In film camera days I often just took my travel lens, the 55mm F3,5 AIS NIkkor for a 4 week journey - without regrets.

Of course, when weight is no problem other lenses give more flexibility.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Liqu New Member • Posts: 6

I just realized I have this lens mounted almost full time (90%) ever since I bought it. For the usual shots that I take, street photograpghy and a little bit of architecture, I find this lens more than suitable. Of course, at times I did wish I had a wider lens mounted, and that has caused me to miss some shots. But overall, if I had to pick 1 lens it would be the 25mm, biggest reason being I can use this lens for some portrait shots.

There's nothing really right or wrong in photography, at the end of the day it's a matter of preferences and taste.

Good luck!

traveler_101 Senior Member • Posts: 2,025

My advice is to follow the advice of veterans like Bob Tullis and Jeff Harris (see their posts). Learn to see through the focal length--that will really improve your photography. Starting with a one kit lens is fine. Eventually you will want to get a "classic" three lens kit, but starting with one lens is fine. Zooms -- I have the Olympus 40-150; I use when I need REACH, then it is good to have.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads