Problem with Nikon Coolpix P510

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Questions
PauloF New Member • Posts: 1
Problem with Nikon Coolpix P510

Bought a Coolpix P510 at the end of April 2013 and a problem started after about 1 week of ownership. After I take a good amount of pictures and turned off the camera, sometimes when I turn it back on it will open, the lens will come out the normal half inch or so, the LCD comes on for a very brief moment, BUT then it immediately goes black and camera becomes inoperable (can't zoom or do anything else with the camera). The only thing we can do is turn the camera off. When we press the off button (we have to press it twice for the camera to start going off), the lens comes back, goes forward and comes back again (so 3 moves), and then the camera goes off. After that, when I press the power button again the camera comes on like normal. But much time was wasted (and sometimes I missed pictures).

I sent the camera to Nikon to be repaired (it's under warranty), but they are claiming the problem is due to impact damage. They sent me a picture of a very slight bulge on the inner part of the lens ring. I honestly can't think of when that would have happened. And I also think the problem is not related to that, since it's sporadic and started almost from the beginning. But they are sticking to their story and want me to pay for the repair.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with this camera? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with Nikon if they are saying I'm responsible for this problem? They won't let me talk to anyone in their service department.

Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Holmes375
Holmes375 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,590
Re: Problem with Nikon Coolpix P510

Claimed impact damage seems to be a popular response with Nikon these days.

Be polite but firm and stick to your guns on the issue.  Confirm no impact has taken place nor is there any exterior indication of impact whatsoever.  Ask for a higher level representative if necessary.

Good luck - I hope this turns out in your favour.

-- hide signature --
 Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +2 more
seahorses New Member • Posts: 2

My coolpix p510 stopped turning on as well. I don't know if I should try to get it fixed or just get a new one. Suggestions?

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,624

The P510 deserves a repair. You may get lucky and find it's a easy and inexpensive repair..one can hope. I do know Nikon's repair experience is a hit and miss as to covered or not covered due to user damage. If it has not been dropped or has not been wet, definitely send it in for a quote.

kaychan16 New Member • Posts: 3

For issues like that or any company for that matter, contact BBB online.  Fill out the form.  It is good to have the names and dates of what you did already to resolve the issue.  This is when a company is not being reasonable or fair with their responses.  On the other hand, how can you verify that this issue happened a week after you had it making it their issue and not something you have done?  Keep that in mind.

Thanks! Mine is not turning on but the light near the "flash/lightning bolt" on the back keeps flashing while it is plugged up. It was working one day. Plugged it up to recharge it and two days later, it wouldn't turn on. I really like this camera too! #crushed

delx New Member • Posts: 1

i had almost the same problem with my Nikon P510 :  after few months, the zoom made an strange noise and after few days, when i tried to use it : it didn't start, the screen stayed black and nothing was working.  My camera had 1 year guarantee with Nikon but they refused to repair (they said too expensive but the guarantee might apply in any case) and they said the camera was damaged and oxyded !!  the camera never fall and never touch any water.

I bought the Nikon P520 and i have the same problem : but i stopped to use it before it stopped completely. It's also under guarantee after only 4 months and i will send it to Nikon for repair but my guess is they have a lot of cases like ours and they don't want to assume the guarantee because the low quality of their recent cameras make it very expensive.

So i am waiting a new Sony CyberShot and it was my last Nikon.

The truth is the Nikon quality is not was it was : low cost making in Asia , not with the best quality components and you can garbage a 400 $ camera after few months. It's unacceptable.

marcusmat New Member • Posts: 5

Hi kaychan16,

Today I notice that I've the same problem as you. My camera would not start and recharge light keep on blinking. Have you find any solution how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Mylene123456 New Member • Posts: 1

I've had this camera for over a year and I have found it very slow to start after charging several times.  I would have to push the ON/OFF button many times and hold it down for it to start.  Today, the same thing than you happened.  While charging, the green light flashes, but after, it won.t turn on.  I then tried to charge it with a different device by substituting the cord that runs from the camera to an outlet by taking the battery out of the camera and charging it with a battery charger.  After this, my camera DID turn on.  Is this a lucky coincidence or is the issue really the issue? I am far from being a technician but maybe this trick could work for you

Hi MyleneX, Thanks for your response. You might be right that the problem is between the orginal Nikon AC adapter and the camera that will not charge the battery.

After charging for a half day the camera still does not turn on and when I measure the voltage of the battery it is zero, so still empty. I tried this several time last week and once I've luck as the battery was loaded and the camera turns on.

I've now ordered an external battery charger and will charge a other battery directly and keep this as backup. If the original battery is empty and not been loaded again with the original AC adapter I will switch the batteries and look what happend.

I still have warrently on my camera but it is very difficult to explain and to convince the retailer the actual problem.

So if my battery charger arrived I will see if your 'trick' works for me.

I've a second battery but I'm afraid to try to load it thru the camera as I'm afraid that it will create my problem again.

davidp66 New Member • Posts: 4

I have had pretty much the identical problem + focus issues. Nikon and Canada Black's Cmera store not helpful. I would never buy another nikon consumer level camera after this.

-- hide signature --

davidp

JB70 New Member • Posts: 1

I've had a P-510 for over 2 years now. I have had what seems to be both the recurring issues mentioned so far. On both occasions, these have been solved by myself (as mine is now outside warranty). I noticed one day that the cable was no longer charging the battery, and that the LED was blinking but was discharging the battery instead. I purchased a replacement sync / USB / charger cable from eBay - and the problem was sorted. With regard to it not turning on, I noticed that the slide lock on the battery / SD card compartment had developed a habit of not securing shut 100% correctly. Generally now, I have a habit of just checking that the slider is secure before doing anything with the camera - and have not had an issue with it since. Hope this helps at least some of you out there as I know how frustrating it can be!

PhilLC New Member • Posts: 1

I have the same issue; I've had no impacts whatsoever.  The light's on when charging but when unplugged there is no way I can switch it on.  This is my second Nikon with the same issue and likely will be my last Nikon.  Utter trash...just a year old...

Marcusmat,
The only luck I have had was when I found the original cord that came with the camera AND the original wall plug. The light that blinks on the back of camera blinked slower. So thats the difference that I saw and it did charge. But I like ^^^ idea about the external charger. I figure that's my problem. I thought about it but when I read it here, now I'm feeling like I wasn't alone in thinking to try an external one!!! "I'll be back!!" (In my Arnold Swartz voice!)

Hi PhilLC,

And how did they solved your problem the first time?

coincidence, the problem repeated again last week
I tried to turn the camera on for several time with the adapter but only the green led blinks.
I then recharged the battery with original adapter and cable for half a day and suddenly I am able to turn the camera on again. And the camera displays the accu full loaded.
I think if the accu is completely empty that the camera has a problem to load it.

windman New Member • Posts: 1

Same camera, same issue. I've had the P510 for about a year and it's been a great performer, until yesterday, when it failed to function while I was attempting to shoot a huge pod of right whales just off the coast at Big Sur. It was a once in a lifetime kind of deal: at least 20 whales working a massive school of sardines (probably) in an amazing display of cooperation. Regardless, the same thing happened with the camera. The display shut off just after opening, the zoom didn't work, the screen came back and then went off again, etc, etc. I'm discouraged to hear that Nikon is putting the blame on you and wondering just what to do? And no, the camera hasn't been mis-treated in any way.

d1ngd0ng New Member • Posts: 1

hey guys, I was experiencing the exact same issues with my own p510
loved the camera, so I was gobsmacked when it wouldn't charge with a regular wall charger and the cable. did a bit of sleuthing and worked out that it only charges with a 6V 1 amp wall charger (I think this is the one that came with it?), rather than the average apple charger, which is 5V 1 amp.
so that would be my tip....

ColinM1953 New Member • Posts: 1

Having had my P510 for a few years I had this issue for the first time recently. Luckily I have a spare battery and external charger so it was easy to confirm it was a battery charge issue. Normally the camera when not in use sits connected to my PC having downloaded the pictures and it gets charged via the PC. Now I find that the charge LED is fast flashing when connected to the PC indicating it isn't charging. This is new - it always used to slow flash and charge fine off the PC. Changing the cable for a spare didn't resolve this. Looking at possible causes in the manual the only one left seems to be "computer cannot supply power to the camera, due to the computer’s settings". A Windows update issue perhaps??

It still charges OK off the mains charger so I'll just have to live with that.

tom oss
tom oss Junior Member • Posts: 33

ColinM1953 wrote:

Having had my P510 for a few years I had this issue for the first time recently. Luckily I have a spare battery and external charger so it was easy to confirm it was a battery charge issue. Normally the camera when not in use sits connected to my PC having downloaded the pictures and it gets charged via the PC. Now I find that the charge LED is fast flashing when connected to the PC indicating it isn't charging. This is new - it always used to slow flash and charge fine off the PC. Changing the cable for a spare didn't resolve this. Looking at possible causes in the manual the only one left seems to be "computer cannot supply power to the camera, due to the computer’s settings". A Windows update issue perhaps??

It still charges OK off the mains charger so I'll just have to live with that.

ddpp reviw post tom oss

- about the battery charching problem mine only charges execionally using the original NIKON factory promoted cable

- i have severla issues with both cmeras Nikon collpigs P520 and P 600 i own both now about 2 years.

- once they do sharp and once the do unsharp images in both manual and automatic mode and both send 3 times back to free warrantz servise and both have still the same issues in the telephoto position

- Both are two of my favourites and i use them ofen becaus ther capability of manual government of exosure and focusing.

- But big plus iam very satified about the reliable macro work even when speedlighintg is requiered

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads