I want a better kit lens for travel...where to go?, please no primes...

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
JMaldonado01 Regular Member • Posts: 316
I want a better kit lens for travel...where to go?, please no primes...

Hello,

I use my Oly EP L2 mainly for travel and I have the 14 - 42 & 40 - 150, the last one a great lens, every picture I take with it has great focus and contrast, makes beautiful pictures...but it gets used not that often because of being a long lens. The kit 14 - 42, it is just Ok, but really, doesn't produce  great shots, I mean sharp and contrasty. I don't want to go the prime route (I know SIGMAS 19 & 30 are a good option) due to missing shots and the pana 12 - 35 is out of the equation, too expensive...So, what do you use as reasonable kit lens for travel.

-- hide signature --

JMG

JMaldonado01's gear list:JMaldonado01's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D200 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +1 more
Manip16 Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: I want a better kit lens for travel...where to go?, please no primes...

You just listed and excluded all of the options.

- 14-42 (soft)
- 12-50 (soft)
- 12-35 (sharp, but expensive).

There's the 7-14mm but that too is expensive and a little wide for a "standard zoom."

Gottschalk Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

I'm onto my second version of the 12-50. Contrary to how many people feel about it (and reviews say) I love mine. Pixel level is not that sharp, but I really like what it produces. Nice and wide and long enough. Focus is very snappy and you have a very usable macro mode to boot. Very underrated in my opinion.

-- hide signature --

It's not the size of your sensor but how you use it that counts...

ohwellOK
ohwellOK Junior Member • Posts: 38

The Panasonic 14-45 is well regarded as a decent kit lens, under $300. I'd say the IQ is a notch up from the Oly 14-42 IIR which I rarely use nowadays. The Olympus 12-50 has decent IQ, and I love the macro feature, but with it's internal zoom it makes for an odd walkaround lens with it's long and narrow barrel IMHO.

secretworld Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

Then only the pana 14-45 is an option. I have it and love it, but truth be told, since I bought the 20mm pana, I now use the 20mm 95% of the time (mostly leave the 14-45 at home), the prime is that much better. And 20mm is great for zooming with your feet...Just wide enough, yet no perspective distortion.

I agree, the 12-35 is to expensive for me too.

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
uberzone
uberzone Regular Member • Posts: 278
What focal length?

What focal length are you looking for exactly? If you are looking for a high quality replacement for your 14-42 kit lens, there are really only two options in my opinion. Top choice would be the 12-35, but yes it is expensive. The second best option is the Panasonic 14-45mm. It was their first and still best kit zoom. It can be had for $200-300 and it is much sharper than any kit zoom that has come after it.

uberzone's gear list:uberzone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +16 more
bryanchicken Regular Member • Posts: 309

14-150 Oly or one of the 14-140 Panas to cover both?

leendertcv Regular Member • Posts: 217

I have the new small Panasonic 14-42mm II (not the pancake) and very happy with it.
Sharp lens!

leendertcv's gear list:leendertcv's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
AG
AG Regular Member • Posts: 290

I have Oly 14-150 and it is OK as one lens for travel. Got it refurbished for $300

AG's gear list:AG's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Lumia 1520
Atlasman
Atlasman Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Oly 14-42mm II M.Zuiko - a huge improvement

If you go over to slrgear.com, and bring up both the original 14-42mm and version II, you will see a noticeable improvement.

I've used this as my goto lens when I didn't want to carry around much equipment. This would also be my choice for travel.

Stevejac Contributing Member • Posts: 892

I've got the panasonic 12-35f2.8 and it's a wonderful lens. But my 12-50 omd kit lens is really convenient with it's included macro function and waterproof, to boot.

I can see a difference between the two,  but the 12-50 isn't that bad a lens. If you don't want to spend the megabucks for the 12-30, give the 12-50 a try

-- hide signature --

Steve Jacobs

Stevejac's gear list:Stevejac's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1
JMaldonado01 OP Regular Member • Posts: 316

Ok, question...Is it much better than the 14 - 42?...I mean, my kit lens when I take a scene in general it is more or less Ok, but for ambiance portraits which I like when traveling it is very bad, resolution for peoples in scenes is lacking a lot...Is the 12 - 50 better?

-- hide signature --

JMG

Yes, it is sad...There should be a better kit lens...

-- hide signature --

JMG

Thanks, very useful info. If you have both and in general think the 12 - 50 is a good price sensible option to the 12 - 35, then it should be much better then the 14 - 42 RII. Can you elaborate more on your toughs on the 12 - 50 compared to the 12 - 35...I´m not looking for DoF control or low light capability, so in every other aspect, is ti a good lens compared to the 12 - 35?, I mean, is it sharp and contrasty enough for you?

Thank you so much for any further comment.

-- hide signature --

JMG

Re: Oly 14-42mm II M.Zuiko - a huge improvement

I do have the second version..maybe mine is not so great.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

JMG

Einst Stein Contributing Member • Posts: 707
dont want 12-35 nor prime? Then stay with 14-42mm

Pray for a magic lens Is your only hope if you don't want prime nor 12-35mm.

acahaya
acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,018

i Know but currently do not own the 12-35, i own a 12-50 and several versions of the 14-42 kit lens and i usually compare those lenses to the FT 14-54 and 12-60, sadly the latter are still superior to all mFT zooms i know.

In my opinion the 12-50 is underrated due to slow speed and the quality of the copies seems to vary. Maybe i have a good one but i do not hesitate to use it as a walkaround and travel lens, was in Rome last week and very happy. I like the way the lens renders images but YMMV. If you gan find a used one for 150-200$, go and get it but do not buy the full price for a new one.

Another idea is the 9-18, which imo is a perfect lens for walking in cities. It is not as good for environmental portraits due to wa. I used it with a 14-150 as a travel lns combo (for whatever reason it ended in my hubby's photobag). This is a very versatile combination, especially if you want to use the full range between 14-150 but rarely have the time to change lenses.

-- hide signature --

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Re: dont want 12-35 nor prime? Then stay with 14-42mm

LOL...Thanks...yes I know I`m asking for the impossible, it´s sad.

Ok, so in your view, there is nothing that takes a place in IQ between the 14 - 42 and the 12 - 35? Two suggestions that have come up are the 14 - 45 original pana kit lens and the newer 12 - 50 from Oly. Do you think there is an improvement for these two options?

Thanks again,

-- hide signature --

JMG

Thanks acahaya, I will search for reviews and comparatives between the Pana 14 - 45 & the Oly 12 - 50 to make my mind and try one of those two, I´m not looking for Bokeh or better low light performance, for that I would definitely have to go with a prime, I simply just want sharper and better contrast day to day pictures, a kit lens with the IQ and value of the 40 - 150 is what I´m looking for.

Thanks again,

-- hide signature --

JMG

Marla
Marla Veteran Member • Posts: 8,861

About a year ago I purchased the 14-45 after reading some great reviews on dp and elsewhere.

I was pleasantly surprised at the image quality from the first time I used it on the OMD. It's the best "kit" lens I've used and has become my favorite walk around lens.

It's $289 at B&H.....if you're interested. Well worth it IMHO!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657970-REG/Panasonic_H_FS014045_Lumix_G_Vario_14.html

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads