Moire with the D600

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Glen78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Moire with the D600

Just noticed some moire on a recent shot I took with the D600 and 80-400. Look at the jean fabric in this picture of my daughter. I guess this shows the D600 does have a fairly weak AA filter and when combined with sharp glass moire is possible. It is not something that I am going to worry about as it would only be seen in a large print, but it is first time I have seen moire in any of my images from the D600.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MisterHairy Senior Member • Posts: 2,183
Re: Moire with the D600

Seems about right. All of the digital cameras that I have used have been able to produce moire over the past twelve years or so. As linear resolution increases to the point where the Nyquist point is beyond these sort of frequencies, moire in digital imaging will become but a distant memory.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090

MisterHairy wrote:

Seems about right. All of the digital cameras that I have used have been able to produce moire over the past twelve years or so. As linear resolution increases to the point where the Nyquist point is beyond these sort of frequencies, moire in digital imaging will become but a distant memory.

+1... All cameras... even my D800 will produce moire in 80% of the cases that my D800E also will... The worst of all are the FFs that bear the Nikon 12mpx sensor, D600 is among the "good" ones... OTOH, I don't think that resolution will have the time to increase further... I think (hope) that the "true colour" - no Bayer pattern sensors will arrive before that.

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr
http://www.fotometriawedding.gr

snellius Contributing Member • Posts: 672
gone with the wind

Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: gone with the wind

snellius wrote:

Is there a tool called "wind"? ...Never heard of it! ...please share! 

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr
http://www.fotometriawedding.gr

I think there are special tools for it, but I convert RGB to Lab and give some blur in the a or b channel.

k2guy Regular Member • Posts: 439

Are you sure that's not just the type of fabric that has that design?  Many of the current jeans are like this.

k2guy's gear list:k2guy's gear list
Canon PowerShot A580 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +18 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,171

Glen78 wrote:

Just noticed some moire on a recent shot I took with the D600 and 80-400. Look at the jean fabric in this picture of my daughter. I guess this shows the D600 does have a fairly weak AA filter and when combined with sharp glass moire is possible. It is not something that I am going to worry about as it would only be seen in a large print, but it is first time I have seen moire in any of my images from the D600.

I'm sure you are correct that there is moire there.  But it's tough to trust a web posted image.  I assume that the moire you are talking about is there on your monitor screen in your photo editing program when viewing the image at 100%.

As was posted previously, even the D800 at 36 MP exhibits moire from time to time.  I've been shooting fashion recently (runway models) and I run into it in almost every shoot I do.  For some strange reason I encounter it more often on men's sport coats.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 945

k2guy wrote:

Are you sure that's not just the type of fabric that has that design? Many of the current jeans are like this.

I also think it's just fabric. Moire usually manifests as false color; white and blue are not false colors. If you saw red, green, orange or some color other than a shade of white or blue I'd agree that there is moire.

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,366

I've had some moire from time to time. Usually on buildings with external air vents.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R XF 90mm +2 more

stevo23 wrote:

I've had some moire from time to time. Usually on buildings with external air vents.

Miore and not LOCA? I'd expect loca from air vents, since they would be at slightly different focus distance.

Glen78 OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Pretty sure it is moire. Here are two other shots at slightly farther distance that do not show it.

Nikon D600 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more

Open the original file (Gif) and see what the problem is.

Glen78 OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Yes, I should clarify that you need to click on the image and look at DPR's image viewer at 100% to see it.

pluton Senior Member • Posts: 2,902

It doesn't show on my 13" laptop, even on the "100%" version.

One of the main reasons I ditched the D3's I had was the moiré patterns.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

pluton's gear list:pluton's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441

It is not only the Nikon D600...

Regards: Carsten

snellius wrote:

Open the original file (Gif) and see what the problem is.

I see it now; diagonal streaks. BUT that looks like a pattern, not true moire. Moire involves existence of false color caused by color pattern. Existence of a pattern is not a moire in itself. Looks like on your picture pattern is mostly visible in darker section of the picture, where white turns grey and we see what we think is false color. I don't see this false color in brightly lit part of the shorts. I can't believe what i am about to do, but i am about to link to KR site! KR has a picture of pool screen here: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d800/vs-d800e.htm

It shows what moire looks like ad indeed it looks similar to what can be seen on jean shorts. I bet the software for fixing moire can take care of that; but i am not 100% sold it is strong enough of an effect to really call it moire, even though it is probably caused by the same aliasing phenomena as the real moire is caused by.

elliotn Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

fft81 wrote:

i am not 100% sold it is strong enough of an effect to really call it moire, even though it is probably caused by the same aliasing phenomena as the real moire is caused by.

It's moire.

eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
I see a nice smile...

Just a reminder to major in the majors.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,171

Glen78 wrote:

Yes, I should clarify that you need to click on the image and look at DPR's image viewer at 100% to see it.

DPR's image viewer is irrelevant.  The only thing that matters is what did you upload?  One needs to view the original at 100%.  Did you upload the full resolution file?  If not, using the DPR viewer at 100% doesn't mean anything.

Like I said in my first response...  I'm sure the moire is there.  I just want to confirm that we're looking at the right thing.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads