small but extremely slow GPS and sucks batteries like crazy ...

Started Jul 21, 2013 | User reviews
JohanBe New Member • Posts: 14
small but extremely slow GPS and sucks batteries like crazy ...

I have been trying out my Nikon P330 for a couple of weeks now.

Sofar only in day light.

Pics themselves look OK. going from my old 6MP to this 12MP seems to make a big difference.

so far so good.

But one of the strongest reason I but this rather than any other compact camera was the GPS.

sadly is not working very well.

last weekend it took almost an hour to get a fix whilst walking on a beach (sic!). a friend with an iPhone got a fix in less than a minute on the same beach that day.

even standing on top a hill it takes 10-15 minutes to get a fix long enough to syncronise the clock of the camera ...

the manual says that once you have turned on the GPS, it will stay on even when you turn it off. but why does it take 1-2 minutes to get a fix after you turn it on again?

since I want to have a fix on my pics this would mean I have to wait most of the battery time (only 200 pics) for the GPS to work properly.

sofar the only solution I have found is to put the automatic turn-off to 30 minutes, this I way I will only loose a fix if walking in small alleys or among tall buildings. but the battery life is less than two hours. 3 fully loaded pics depleted in 5 and half hours ...

Now I am looking for a camera case that fits the P330 while it is turned on. Any suggestions?

JohanBe's gear list:JohanBe's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330
Nikon Coolpix P330
12 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 120 mm (5×)
Announced: Mar 5, 2013
JohanBe's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
unrated
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Nikon Coolpix P330
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
natna Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: small but extremely slow GPS and sucks batteries like crazy ...

The GPS receivers in general, without Assisted Gps, are very slow to lock the first time.
It can take up to 30 minutes!

The same could happen if gps is closed for a few days and then turned on. Or if you move to a very far away place with gps closed.

The Assisted GPS or A-GPS downloads an "almanac" file that designate the sattelites's orbits for a week or so. Knowing the Gps receiver the futur positions of some sattelites, can lock alot faster.

The A-GPS feature needs data connection, so that's why almost every smartphone locks position  way faster...

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,789
Where is the review?

Hi,

We can see that you are not happy with the way that GPS technology works. Now where is the actual camera review? Or is the GPS the part that you wanted to review and not the camera?

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Yanko
I am dreaming to enhance the sensitivity of my own perception and not the sensitivity of my camera's sensor...

OP JohanBe New Member • Posts: 14

natna wrote:

The GPS receivers in general, without Assisted Gps, are very slow to lock the first time.

The same could happen if gps is closed for a few days and then turned on. Or if you move to a very far away place with gps closed.

The Assisted GPS or A-GPS downloads an "almanac" file that designate the sattelites's orbits for a week or so. Knowing the Gps receiver the futur positions of some sattelites, can lock alot faster.

The A-GPS feature needs data connection, so that's why almost every smartphone locks position way faster...

aha, thanks for the clarification!

so you are basically saying that there is very little point of buying a camera with built-in GPS.
if you want geotagging better opt for a camera that can read GPS data from a smartphone.

note that if you use camera as normal tourist walking around, in a city you go in and out buildings, turn on and off the camera, and you do not want to wait 10-30 minutes for the GPS to lock on each time you turn on the camera (even if it is "warm start" as in the case of P330).

Nikon Coolpix P330
OP JohanBe New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Where is the review?

Yanko Kitanov wrote:

Hi,

We can see that you are not happy with the way that GPS technology works. Now where is the actual camera review? Or is the GPS the part that you wanted to review and not the camera?

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Yanko
I am dreaming to enhance the sensitivity of my own perception and not the sensitivity of my camera's sensor...

indeed it turned out more the GPS side than the camera itself,

but then a big point of the camera is the built-in GPS ...

odd is it not, apart from the Sony A65 there is a very wide gap,from all the "dirt cheap" "all terrain" with built GPS to the Canon 6D 1800€ (body only).

Nikon Coolpix P330
natna Regular Member • Posts: 339

JohanBe wrote:

natna wrote:

The A-GPS feature needs data connection, so that's why almost every smartphone locks position way faster...

aha, thanks for the clarification!

so you are basically saying that there is very little point of buying a camera with built-in GPS.
if you want geotagging better opt for a camera that can read GPS data from a smartphone.

note that if you use camera as normal tourist walking around, in a city you go in and out buildings, turn on and off the camera, and you do not want to wait 10-30 minutes for the GPS to lock on each time you turn on the camera (even if it is "warm start" as in the case of P330).

Whenever in a completely new area, I'd leave the camera on, until gps lock. If it has a good gps antenna/receiver, "warm" locking shouldn't last more than a minute. I have experience with smartphones and standalone gps receivers, but haven't had such a camera so far.

And let's not forget the city "canyons"  Or the fake internet gps lock on google maps, until the actual receiver starts reading some satellites...

Scheinrb Regular Member • Posts: 181

I haven't found the camera to be power-hungry.  What I do find is that the power indicator on the display is inaccurate, in that it tells you the battery is full until it's almost depleted and only then does it start to indicate low power.  This needs a firmware fix.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads