7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Bobn2 wrote:

I think there is a considerable overlap between the two.

There is none whatsoever! For those that need both there are alternatives available - i.e. 5DIII. But the target groups are as far seperated as they could be from the onset, so the availability of both cameras will *not* create any further division in markets. I for one would never consider ever buying a full frame DSLR if there is a fast alternative and even if there weren't  I wouldn't even remotely consider the 6D.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
David Naylor
David Naylor Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Here's my position as a camera consumer:

I have the 7D and five lenses, four of which are specifically made for crop cameras. I bought the 7D not primarily for its frames per seconds, but for its ergonomics (better than the 60D or 70D in my eyes), for the great AF, for the resolution (best of its time), and the wireless flash control.

If I had twice as much money to spend on what is essentially a hobby I would buy the 5D mIII without thinking twice, and upgrade my lenses to full-frame alternatives. However, thankfully I have a wife who makes me more sensible.

The 70D is very close to feeling like a good future option for me, but I can't help feeling it would be a downgrade ergonomically. (The same way many felt about the changes from 50D to 60D.)

By now I believe there are a *lot* of 7D owners out there. I find it hard to believe that Canon would leave us all "out in the cold", having to either switch down to the 70D or “across” to the rather differently specced 6D or “way up” to the expensive 5D.

If or when the 7D mII does come out, I would like it to have wifi, gps, dual pixel AF and higher resolution. I'm a firm believer in high resolution being a good thing.

 David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +1 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,622
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
1

Bobn2 wrote:

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

Selling two different products into one space is splitting the market.

That were true if the market weren't split already - but someone who is in the target audience for the 6D isn't in the target audience for the 7DII and visa verso, those cameras are too different to be competing with each other - so your whole argument has no merit whatsoever.

I think there is a considerable overlap between the two. Both are general purpose high end enthusiast DSLR's. Yes, there is a group that would only buy one, but in the middle there is a bigger group for whom they are both attractive offers, with a different emphasis. Canon's range has never included alternatives at each price point - they decide on the emphasis (speed, video specs, resolution, FF, etc) at each point and offer one model. If you need something different, you go up or down, not across.

Sorry Bob, but you're incorrect.  The 7D is the top end crop sensor cam for speed & action.  6D is an entry-level FF camera.  No way would I consider replacing my 7D with a 6D.  If you were right we'd see people here dumping their 7D in favor of the 6D.  I don't see that happening.  Four years after the release, the 7D is still going strong.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

I think there is a considerable overlap between the two.

There is none whatsoever!

Really?

They are both DSLR's.

They both accept EF-S lenses.

They both have very similar controls.

They both will take very similar photos in maybe 95% of photographic situations.

The 7D has some features that the 6D does not, and vice versa, but for most people buying a general purpose camera, they mostly do the same job.

For those that need both there are alternatives available - i.e. 5DIII. But the target groups are as far seperated as they could be from the onset, so the availability of both cameras will *not* create any further division in markets.

You don't know what the 'target groups' are - Canon knows that. I doubt that many who buy a 7D use it exclusively for action photography, nor do those that buy a 6D use it exclusively for studio and landscape work. In the overlap are the majority of everyday situations that both cameras handle pretty well. Not every buyer is like you.

I for one would never consider ever buying a full frame DSLR if there is a fast alternative and even if there weren't I wouldn't even remotely consider the 6D.

Then you would not be a buyer, you would probably have to settle for a 70D, or just not upgrade your camera. The point for Canon is overall sales (or more importantly, overall profits), not what one individual will or won't do. Unless there are enough that think like you, and wouldn't buy another Canon camera, Canon would never recover the investment for a brand new camera.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
2

Mark B. wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

Selling two different products into one space is splitting the market.

That were true if the market weren't split already - but someone who is in the target audience for the 6D isn't in the target audience for the 7DII and visa verso, those cameras are too different to be competing with each other - so your whole argument has no merit whatsoever.

I think there is a considerable overlap between the two. Both are general purpose high end enthusiast DSLR's. Yes, there is a group that would only buy one, but in the middle there is a bigger group for whom they are both attractive offers, with a different emphasis. Canon's range has never included alternatives at each price point - they decide on the emphasis (speed, video specs, resolution, FF, etc) at each point and offer one model. If you need something different, you go up or down, not across.

Sorry Bob, but you're incorrect.

What have I said that is 'incorrect' - what I have said is opinions, which may differ from yours, but have as much chance of being 'correct' as yours.

The 7D is the top end crop sensor cam for speed & action.

That is a matter of fact, but that doesn't mean that it will always be so.

6D is an entry-level FF camera.

That also is a matter of fact, but doesn't impinge one way or another on what I said.

No way would I consider replacing my 7D with a 6D.

That is your preference, to which you have every right, but there is no law that says that Canon has to cater for your personal preference.

If you were right we'd see people here dumping their 7D in favor of the 6D. I don't see that happening.

Have you looked? What evidence have you or not that people have moved from 7D to 6D or thought of a 7D but went 6D instead? Please show me the evidence that says that no-one has done either of these things.

Four years after the release, the 7D is still going strong.

Not so much, stronger than its nearest competitor, the D300s, but that's not saying a great deal. If the market was so vibrant, one would have expected Canon to replace it after 3 years, like they usually do with their top end cameras. Cameras that came after the 7D and have been replaced include the 1DIV, 550D, 60D, 600D and 650D. There has to be some reason Canon thought it worth replacing all those models and not the 7D. The only model in the field that long was the 1DsIII, and they never replaced that.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Bobn2 wrote:

They are both DSLR's.

With completely different target audiences. The 6D can't do half of what the 7DII will do and the 7DII will do plenty the 6D can't even dream of managing!

They both accept EF-S lenses.

Wrong.

They both have very similar controls.

Wrong.

They both will take very similar photos in maybe 95% of photographic situations.

Wrong again.

The 7D has some features that the 6D does not, and vice versa, but for most people buying a general purpose camera, they mostly do the same job.

Wrong again.

For those that need both there are alternatives available - i.e. 5DIII. But the target groups are as far seperated as they could be from the onset, so the availability of both cameras will *not* create any further division in markets.

You don't know what the 'target groups' are - Canon knows that. I doubt that many who buy a 7D use it exclusively for action photography, nor do those that buy a 6D use it exclusively for studio and landscape work.

The 6D can't do action properly, not even the 5DIII is fully capable to replace a current 7D. Period. The 6D autofocus is whoefully inadaequate for fast moving subjects and the 5DIII lacks speed. Face it, the 6D is [b]not[/b] a valid replacement for a 7D!

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Bobn2 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

The 7D is the top end crop sensor cam for speed & action.

That is a matter of fact, but that doesn't mean that it will always be so.

It will always be so, it's the camera concept behind a 7D type camera.

6D is an entry-level FF camera.

That also is a matter of fact, but doesn't impinge one way or another on what I said.

No way would I consider replacing my 7D with a 6D.

That is your preference, to which you have every right, but there is no law that says that Canon has to cater for your personal preference.

They will cater to markets, and none of the current cameras caters for the segment that the 7D does - especially not an entry level, sluggish, sedate 6D!

If you were right we'd see people here dumping their 7D in favor of the 6D. I don't see that happening.

Have you looked? What evidence have you or not that people have moved from 7D to 6D or thought of a 7D but went 6D instead?

I know quite a lot of photographers which have either - a few have both but not a single one exchanged the 7D for the 6D! Face it, a 6D can not in any way replace the 7D, not today, not tomorrow, not ever!

Four years after the release, the 7D is still going strong.

Not so much, stronger than its nearest competitor, the D300s, but that's not saying a great deal. If the market was so vibrant, one would have expected Canon to replace it after 3 years, like they usually do with their top end cameras.

There is no set interval for top of the line DSLR - and there was this little earth quake which has set back Canon by quite a bit.

There has to be some reason Canon thought it worth replacing all those models and not the 7D.

You only need to look at sales figures - I can tell you that the 7D still sells remarkably well - as I indirectly can judge the figures for the german speaking market as the book on the 7D still comprehensively outsells the ones for the 60D, 550D, 600D, 650D together.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,615
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

They are both DSLR's.

With completely different target audiences. The 6D can't do half of what the 7DII will do and the 7DII will do plenty the 6D can't even dream of managing!

They both accept EF-S lenses.

Wrong.

They both have very similar controls.

Wrong.

They both will take very similar photos in maybe 95% of photographic situations.

Wrong again.

The 7D has some features that the 6D does not, and vice versa, but for most people buying a general purpose camera, they mostly do the same job.

Wrong again.

Actually I would disagree with you on that last point. But that's because for "most people buying a general purpose camera" the 550D would also mostly do the same job. If you reduce camera choice to its lowest common denominator, they all mostly do the same job.

The fallacy is to look only at the points which are the same and draw the conclusion that the differences which you didn't look at don't matter. Which is of course utter nonsense.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

They are both DSLR's.

With completely different target audiences. The 6D can't do half of what the 7DII will do and the 7DII will do plenty the 6D can't even dream of managing!

They both accept EF-S lenses.

Wrong.

I meant EF, which is right.

They both have very similar controls.

Wrong.

I believe so.

They both will take very similar photos in maybe 95% of photographic situations.

Wrong again.

Really? The advantages that the 7D has (reach, frame rate and more points in the AF) allow it to take photos in just a few situations where the 6D won't. The advantages that the 6D has (lens choice at the wide end, utilising shallower DOF, low light ability, low light AF) allow it to take photos in just a few situations where the 7D won't. 95% is a guess, but in all likely hood in the right range.

The 7D has some features that the 6D does not, and vice versa, but for most people buying a general purpose camera, they mostly do the same job.

Wrong again.

See above, most situations, you'll end with pretty much the same. The only question is whether you want the reach and frame rate or the lens options, shallower DOF, low light - both are edge situations, and in the end it matters which edge is more important to you. It's only if there you exclusively work at one edge and never work at the other that there is no question of choice, and there are relatively few photographers like that.

For those that need both there are alternatives available - i.e. 5DIII. But the target groups are as far seperated as they could be from the onset, so the availability of both cameras will *not* create any further division in markets.

You don't know what the 'target groups' are - Canon knows that. I doubt that many who buy a 7D use it exclusively for action photography, nor do those that buy a 6D use it exclusively for studio and landscape work.

The 6D can't do action properly,

The 6D can do action 'properly' in the hands of a competent photographer.

not even the 5DIII is fully capable to replace a current 7D. Period.

I would think the 5DIII wins quite a lot and loses a little. It has a much more capable AF system, it loses 2FPS, but the main thing in action photography is learning your timing, if you don't do that the difference between 6FPS and 8FPS is 6 garbage shots or eight garbage shots. If you do lean your timing then the difference is between 5 garbage shots and 7 garbage shots, by and large. Occasionally you might get lucky, and 8FPS increases your luck from 6 in 100 to 8 in 100

The 6D autofocus is whoefully inadaequate for fast moving subjects

Again, not optimised but focusses fast and sure with the centre point, in worse light than the 7D will with any point.

and the 5DIII lacks speed.

2 FPS, not anything really, just less file space filled with 'not quite' photos.

Face it, the 6D is [b]not[/b] a valid replacement for a 7D!

I never ever suggested that it is a 'valid' replacement, what I said was with three other Canon cameras eroding the potential market, Canon might choose not to replace it, validly or otherwise.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
3

Bobn2 wrote:

Really? The advantages that the 7D has (reach, frame rate and more points in the AF) allow it to take photos in just a few situations where the 6D won't. The advantages that the 6D has (lens choice at the wide end, utilising shallower DOF, low light ability, low light AF) allow it to take photos in just a few situations where the 7D won't. 95% is a guess, but in all likely hood in the right range.

So there are significant differences that mean that the cameras have different target market segments, so you yourself contradict your "one size fits all" argument!

The 6D can do action 'properly' in the hands of a competent photographer.

A competent photographer will not chose the 6D for that job. Period. That's what makes him competent. Only the haphazard amateur would try and more often than not fail utterly.

not even the 5DIII is fully capable to replace a current 7D. Period.

I would think the 5DIII wins quite a lot and loses a little. It has a much more capable AF system, it loses 2FPS, but the main thing in action photography is learning your timing,

There are a lot of things where you can't predict the timing and thus you will never get the shot with the slower camera.

The 6D autofocus is whoefully inadaequate for fast moving subjects

Again, not optimised but focusses fast and sure with the centre point

Which will yield a bad composition in 9 out of 10 cases. The 7D can use all it's AF points in light when you barely manage to get a usable exposure time for action photography.

Whoever thinks that a camera that can only be focused with the center AF point is good for action photography needs to have his brain examined - if there still is something available for such an examination...

, in worse light than the 7D will with any point.

Again you fail to see the point that in motion rich environments the 6D will not cut it, not today, not tomorrow, not ever!

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

The 7D is the top end crop sensor cam for speed & action.

That is a matter of fact, but that doesn't mean that it will always be so.

It will always be so, it's the camera concept behind a 7D type camera.

The top end crop sensor cam for speed and action might be the 70D, just like the 40D and 50D were the top end crop sensor cam for speed and action. Canon gaveth and Canon can taketh away.

6D is an entry-level FF camera.

That also is a matter of fact, but doesn't impinge one way or another on what I said.

No way would I consider replacing my 7D with a 6D.

That is your preference, to which you have every right, but there is no law that says that Canon has to cater for your personal preference.

They will cater to markets, and none of the current cameras caters for the segment that the 7D does - especially not an entry level, sluggish, sedate 6D!

Not the point. The point is that the only part of the market for which the 7D Mark II would be a must have' is those that demand more than 7FPS plus a few other features. When the 7D was announced it was the only (non 1D) option from Canon if you wanted 6 or more FPS. Now Canon offers 2 options. It was the only option if you wanted more than the basic 11 point AF, now Canon offers 2 options. It was the only option around the $2k price point, Now Canon has another option. Options erode the potential market place, because not everyone who bought a 7D did so because they demanded non-negotiably the feature set of the 7D. Many were weighing their options with their budget and decided that the 7d was the best option on balance. Now Canon offers other options.

6D, BTW is not 'entry level'. It has a metal shell and two wheel control system - which is 'enthusiast level' by most counts. It is not a Rebel.

If you were right we'd see people here dumping their 7D in favor of the 6D. I don't see that happening.

Have you looked? What evidence have you or not that people have moved from 7D to 6D or thought of a 7D but went 6D instead?

I know quite a lot of photographers which have either - a few have both but not a single one exchanged the 7D for the 6D! Face it, a 6D can not in any way replace the 7D, not today, not tomorrow, not ever!

'Quite a lot of photographers' that you know does not make a market trend.

Four years after the release, the 7D is still going strong.

Not so much, stronger than its nearest competitor, the D300s, but that's not saying a great deal. If the market was so vibrant, one would have expected Canon to replace it after 3 years, like they usually do with their top end cameras.

There is no set interval for top of the line DSLR - and there was this little earth quake which has set back Canon by quite a bit.

That was Nikon that was set back by the earthquake, not Canon, and strange that it doesn't seem to have affected the release schedule of any other camera, and that they gave the '6D precedence if they were that much up against it.

There has to be some reason Canon thought it worth replacing all those models and not the 7D.

You only need to look at sales figures -

Could you post a link to these sales figure, presumably you have looked at them, since you say

I can tell you that the 7D still sells remarkably well -

on what basis can you tell me that?

as I indirectly can judge the figures for the german speaking market as the book on the 7D still comprehensively outsells the ones for the 60D, 550D, 600D, 650D together.

That's probably just because of all the people buying second-hand 7D's from people who have upgraded to the 6D.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Bobn2 wrote:

The top end crop sensor cam for speed and action might be the 70D,

It's not, because the 7D has not been discontinued. So the 70D is not the top end crop camera and it can never be that!

Not the point. The point is that the only part of the market for which the 7D Mark II would be a must have' is those that demand more than 7FPS plus a few other features.

You have an overly simplified and completely and utterly wrong view on things.

That was Nikon that was set back by the earthquake, not Canon,

Hm, strangely enough the earth quake set back the Canon production by about a year. I don't know in which world you are living but it must not be the one where Canon lost several production lines and the supply chain broke together due to the earth quake.

Could you post a link to these sales figure, presumably you have looked at them, since you say

Sorry, these figures are confidential to those that work in that field.

That's probably just because of all the people buying second-hand 7D's from people who have upgraded to the 6D.

I am going to stop arguing with someone who has no clue whatsoever. This is my final answer on this matter. You are clueless and I will treat you like it...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

Really? The advantages that the 7D has (reach, frame rate and more points in the AF) allow it to take photos in just a few situations where the 6D won't. The advantages that the 6D has (lens choice at the wide end, utilising shallower DOF, low light ability, low light AF) allow it to take photos in just a few situations where the 7D won't. 95% is a guess, but in all likely hood in the right range.

So there are significant differences that mean that the cameras have different target market segments, so you yourself contradict your "one size fits all" argument!

No I don't, I never claimed one size fits all, what I claimed is that the other releases erode the potential market for the 7D Mk II to just those who must have a 7D MkII and no other, which I think is relatively few, since Canon now offers other options.

The 6D can do action 'properly' in the hands of a competent photographer.

A competent photographer will not chose the 6D for that job. Period.

That is not the case. A competent photographer might have the funding for a single camera, might have bought the 6D on the balance of its features, and might do the occasional action work, in which case, if they were competent, they would find the 6D would cope. many fine action photographers have done very well with equipment very much less capable than a 6D.

That's what makes him competent. Only the haphazard amateur would try and more often than not fail utterly.

What arrogance, you judge competence by which camera you buy, not by your photographic skills.

not even the 5DIII is fully capable to replace a current 7D. Period.

I would think the 5DIII wins quite a lot and loses a little. It has a much more capable AF system, it loses 2FPS, but the main thing in action photography is learning your timing,

There are a lot of things where you can't predict the timing and thus you will never get the shot with the slower camera.

Also not true. 8FPS over 6FPS does not give you an appreciably higher chance of getting the shot if you just use spray and pray. If the shutter is open for 10ms, then at 8FPS you are not getting the shot 92% of the time, while at 6FPS you are not getting the shot 94% of the time. So, one gives you a 8% chance of getting the shot as opposed to a 6% chance. Only timing improves that ratio.

The 6D autofocus is whoefully inadaequate for fast moving subjects

Again, not optimised but focusses fast and sure with the centre point

Which will yield a bad composition in 9 out of 10 cases. The 7D can use all it's AF points in light when you barely manage to get a usable exposure time for action photography.

Again, many competent action photographers were able to work with one focus point.

Whoever thinks that a camera that can only be focused with the center AF point is good for action photography needs to have his brain examined - if there still is something available for such an examination...

I don't doubt that one with more is better, provided it makes use of them, and I have no doubt that someone who did mostly action work would not choose the 6D - more likely from Canon's current selection to go for a 70D or a 5DIII, which both offer capable AF and decent frame rates. Bt then my point was never that the 6D has the same spec as the 7D, just that the three cameras together erode the potential market for a 7D MkII.

, in worse light than the 7D will with any point.

Again you fail to see the point that in motion rich environments the 6D will not cut it, not today, not tomorrow, not ever!

Not true. In the hands of a competent photographer, the 6D can do action, but for those more action oriented, Canon offers options, see above.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
4

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

The top end crop sensor cam for speed and action might be the 70D,

It's not, because the 7D has not been discontinued. So the 70D is not the top end crop camera and it can never be that!

If the 7D was discontinued, then the 70D would become the top end crop camera, just like the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D were.

Not the point. The point is that the only part of the market for which the 7D Mark II would be a must have' is those that demand more than 7FPS plus a few other features.

You have an overly simplified and completely and utterly wrong view on things.

Not the right way of looking at things. The right way of looking at things is that I have a sophisticated and well thought out and probably correct view on things.

That was Nikon that was set back by the earthquake, not Canon,

Hm, strangely enough the earth quake set back the Canon production by about a year.

Really? Evidence for that? It didn't set Nikon back by a year, and Nikon had two whole plants destroyed, while Canon had none damaged. so you are saying that Canon's production management is so inferior to Nikon's.

I don't know in which world you are living but it must not be the one where Canon lost several production lines and the supply chain broke together due to the earth quake.

That's right, I'm living in the world where 'Hirotomo Fujimori, a Tokyo-based spokesman for Canon based in Tokyo, told news agency Bloomberg that the world’s biggest camera manufacturer ‘didn’t suffer damage to plants that would halt output’.

Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/534992/canon-camera-factories-suffer-damage-in-japan-quake-update#EQpcHtT8QLivA9mu.99

Could you post a link to these sales figure, presumably you have looked at them, since you say

Sorry, these figures are confidential to those that work in that field.

That's convenient for you, isn't it. Pardon me for being sceptical.

That's probably just because of all the people buying second-hand 7D's from people who have upgraded to the 6D.

I am going to stop arguing with someone who has no clue whatsoever. This is my final answer on this matter. You are clueless and I will treat you like it...

Funny, some people would see it the other way round....

-- hide signature --

Bob

Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
1

Bobn2 wrote:

 and I have no doubt that someone who did mostly action work would not choose the 6D - more likely from Canon's current selection to go for a 70D or a 5DIII,

Wrong, in todays market he would go for the 7D - not the unavailable 70D and even when that becomes available he would still chose the 7D because for that use it comprehensively outperforms the 70D!

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Bobn2 wrote:

That's convenient for you, isn't it. Pardon me for being sceptical.

I just keep to the set rules for such figures. You can go ahead and buy the necessary reports if you like...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,841
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

skanter wrote:

Limburger wrote:

skanter wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

The way I see it, if the 70D were a replacement for the 7D it would have spot AF (and the other advanced PD AF features that didn't carry over).

60D has spot AF, I would assume 70D has it as well.

-
Sam K., NYC

Hi Sam,

Could it be you mistaken weighing exposure for locked af point(s) in evaluative?

No, I was confusing spot-metering, which the 60D has, with spot-AF, as I mostly use center-point focusing and they are quite similar. I don't really get the difference between centerpoint and spot AF, perhaps someone can clarify?

For critical focusing I use LV and Magic Lantern focus peaking plus magic zoom - probably the most accurate focusing of all.

Composition,if things like branches get in the way you avoid focus lock on the wrong subject.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

and I have no doubt that someone who did mostly action work would not choose the 6D - more likely from Canon's current selection to go for a 70D or a 5DIII,

Wrong, in todays market he would go for the 7D - not the unavailable 70D and even when that becomes available he would still chose the 7D because for that use it comprehensively outperforms the 70D!

It's difficult to see that the 7D 'comprehensively outperforms' the 70D. 1 more FPS. Same AF (maybe updated and improved in the 70D). Both weather sealed. The 7D has a few things that the 70D doesn't, but then the 70D has a few things that the 7D doesn't.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,901
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2
1

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

That's convenient for you, isn't it. Pardon me for being sceptical.

I just keep to the set rules for such figures. You can go ahead and buy the necessary reports if you like...

It's a lot less outlay for me just not to believe you.

P.S. Was that your final final answer, or is there another final answer coming?

-- hide signature --

Bob

hires Regular Member • Posts: 429
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

It'd going to be one hell of a good shoot out when the 70D finally goes against the 7D.  Coming to you soon right here on this channel.  Stay tuned.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads