My thoughts on the G15 after 6 months

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions
Funkyd3121 Senior Member • Posts: 1,592
My thoughts on the G15 after 6 months

I absolutely Love this camera.  In fact, I use it more than my 50D & have been for quite some time.  The only Negatives I have found are these:
It is Extremely hard to see the LCD viewfinder outside on a bright sunny day, & when the battery read-out(if this is correct way to name it) gets to 2 bars, all of a sudden it blinks the Low Battery warning.  Unlike my G7 (which I still own) which will Not give this reading until 1 bar is showing.

I am amazed at the skin tones while shooting indoors with No flash, using ISO up to 400 & sometimes just using the exposure compensation dial instead of increasing the ISO.  The colors are Great!

Outdoor sunlight the G7 still rocks at ISO 80, 100 & 200, but the G15 performs the best!  I have yet to shoot any Hi-Def video with the G15, but plan on doing so next week.

Funkyd3121's gear list:Funkyd3121's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 300D +10 more
Canon EOS 50D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edu T Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: My thoughts on the G15 (EC vs ISO)

Good to know, congrats. There's a point I'd like to clarify, though:

"[I am amazed at the skin tones...] sometimes just using the exposure compensation dial instead of increasing the ISO (...)

I read the above as meaning "increasing exposure instead of increasing ISO", as EC adds to/subtracts from the already metered exposure, and increasing ISO is a way to achieve a given image brightness without increasing exposure.

Increasing exposure can be done thru a larger aperture and/or by slowing down the shutter speed (which BTW is what cranking up the EC dial does when the lens is already wide-open). It simply means more light hitting the sensor, nothing more.

Changing ISO, on the other hand, is a workaround when increasing exposure becomes unfeasible for any reason. It means changing the slope of the tone curve used to translate the data from the sensor --which has a fixed, inherent "native" sensitivity-- into the viewable final image, incurring the penalties of (relatively) more noise and (absolutely) reduced dynamic range.

If we are to believe that a better understanding of the under-the-hood workings of a digital camera helps improving our photographic techniques, here's an article I believe you'll find a pretty interesting reading.

edu T's gear list:edu T's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR
yooperguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,870
Re: My thoughts on the G15 after 6 months

David Hurt wrote:

I absolutely Love this camera. In fact, I use it more than my 50D & have been for quite some time. The only Negatives I have found are these:
It is Extremely hard to see the LCD viewfinder outside on a bright sunny day, & when the battery read-out(if this is correct way to name it) gets to 2 bars, all of a sudden it blinks the Low Battery warning. Unlike my G7 (which I still own) which will Not give this reading until 1 bar is showing.

I am amazed at the skin tones while shooting indoors with No flash, using ISO up to 400 & sometimes just using the exposure compensation dial instead of increasing the ISO. The colors are Great!

Outdoor sunlight the G7 still rocks at ISO 80, 100 & 200, but the G15 performs the best! I have yet to shoot any Hi-Def video with the G15, but plan on doing so next week.

I am still using my G9, but have added a Clearviewer  to eliminate the viewing issues in bright light. It also is helpful with using a lens adapter and either the tele or wide converter lens, which blocks the optical tunnel viewfinder.

I got the tripod mount Clearviewer with premium glass, plus an optional Hamas camera screw that has a large knurled knob and tripod threads.  It's easy to quickly attach to my G9, and comes with a small carrying bag.

Dennis

yooperguy's gear list:yooperguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 +1 more
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

David Hurt wrote:

I absolutely Love this camera. In fact, I use it more than my 50D & have been for quite some time. The only Negatives I have found are these:
It is Extremely hard to see the LCD viewfinder outside on a bright sunny day,

Yeah, so I use the OVF and I've learned to compensate for its inaccuracies. Always carry a spare battery, too -- but it's seldom needed, perhaps because the LCD is off.

I am amazed at the skin tones while shooting indoors with No flash, using ISO up to 400 & sometimes just using the exposure compensation dial instead of increasing the ISO. The colors are Great!

Personally I wish they'd retained the ISO dial on top from an earlier model.

Outdoor sunlight the G7 still rocks at ISO 80, 100 & 200, but the G15 performs the best! I have yet to shoot any Hi-Def video with the G15, but plan on doing so next week.

One of the great decisions Canon made was the fast lens (f/1.8 at full wide, f/2.8 at full zoom). That helps keep the ISO within a reasonable range under more lighting conditions.

The video is not as flexible as on some other cameras (like my m4/3 Panasonic GH3), but I did shoot one impromptu HD video in a cruise ship theater (my wife ended up on stage) which turned out very well. My G15 is a keeper for sure.

I just wish Canon (etc) had kept putting OVFs in most of their P&S cameras. Even my tiny SD700IS (circa 2006) has one, which is why I still have it. Can't beat an OVF on a sunny So Calif day!

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
I2K4 Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Re: My thoughts on the G15 (EC vs ISO)

Not a technical guy but this comment stumped me, as I've always thought of EC as separate and apart from Tv or Av settings. At ISO 125, I just took my little Ixus 300 set to Tv 400.  The resulting Av is f/2.0.  I moved the EC dial around - changes to EC caused no changes to the settings for Tv or Av (or ISO). The screen (exposure) visibly and pretty dramatically brightens or darkens according to the EC setting with nothing else changed. Maybe I misunderstand.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
bjornsen Regular Member • Posts: 277

David Hurt wrote:

I absolutely Love this camera.

I've had mine less than a month and do enjoy it.  I still use the big DSLRs, but need small sometimes; it replaced a carry around S100 that had to go to the camera doctor.  I can't deal with cameras that don't let me drive, but I'm not understanding how I can control aperture and shutter in M mode.  The manual says that the circular dial on the back and and front dial control settings.  In M mode, my front dial does nothing.  What am I missing?
http://www.pbase.com/bjornsen (pbase contributor)
Any day your socks match and you are not on fire is a good day.

bjornsen's gear list:bjornsen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 +6 more
elpols Junior Member • Posts: 27
but I'm not understanding how I can control aperture and shutter in M mode. The manual says that the circular dial on the back and and front dial control settings. In M mode, my front dial does nothing. What am I missing?

In M mode press the metering button (the one left of menu button). You'll see a tiny green control dial moving among metering mode, shutter speed and aperture. Then with the control dial you can modify the values.

OP Funkyd3121 Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

Right now, I shoot my G15 & my G7 in TV mode - always have since day 1.  I used to shoot my DSLR bodies that way, until I learned how to shoot them in M mode & use the wheel on the baack of the body to control the F-stop & now shoot my DSLR's in RAW+Jpeg.  Still shoot my G cameras in Jpeg.  I see No need to shoot the G15 in RAW.

One other thing - back in May while on the Alabama gulf coast I had several images that I didn't notice until later - there was a fingerprint on the lens of the G15 & it looked like a smear on my images once I opened them in my laptop.

Funkyd3121's gear list:Funkyd3121's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 300D +10 more
edu T Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
G15, assigning manual controls

elpols wrote:

but I'm not understanding how I can control aperture and shutter in M mode. The manual says that the circular dial on the back and and front dial control settings. In M mode, my front dial does nothing. What am I missing?

In M mode press the metering button (the one left of menu button). You'll see a tiny green control dial moving among metering mode, shutter speed and aperture. Then with the control dial you can modify the values.

Right.

bjornsen and elpols:

One more thing, you can customize this behavior and assign dedicated controls for both aperture and shutter speed. For example, you might want the front dial to set aperture and the rear dial to set shutter speed (my reasoning here is that the first is near the lens and the latter is near the sensor).

This would be far more convenient and straightforward as you would no longer have to always pay a confusing (at least to me) visit to metering mode selection in the way from setting aperture back to setting shutter speed.

On the other hand, if you are happy with these three settings sharing the one rear dial, then you can assign the pretty useful step-zoom control to the front dial (or white balance, DR correction etc. for that matter).

Just go to menu, "Set П Ø Func." and pick your choices. It pays to experiment!

edu T's gear list:edu T's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads