New Macbook Pro.. Lightroom issues !

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions
dantheman92 Forum Member • Posts: 93
New Macbook Pro.. Lightroom issues !

Hey ! On my old Mac I would always upload my photos in Lightroom directly to my external harddrive, but on my new Mac I have a bigger HD so I am uploading them directly to the HD and now when the CF card isn't plugged in even after an upload the magazine thumbnails say photo could not be found.. How do I change this so I can delete them off the memory card ?

Thanks !

OP dantheman92 Forum Member • Posts: 93
Re: New Macbook Pro.. Lightroom issues !

Also could someone help me figure out a way to back up my work on the cloud ? I've heard dropbox is good

Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

dantheman92 wrote:

Hey ! On my old Mac I would always upload my photos in Lightroom directly to my external harddrive, but on my new Mac I have a bigger HD so I am uploading them directly to the HD and now when the CF card isn't plugged in even after an upload the magazine thumbnails say photo could not be found.. How do I change this so I can delete them off the memory card ?

You have lightroom set to 'add' the imported images and not 'copy' them. This way lightroom knows about the images but expects them to remain where you left them. IE on the CF card.

At the top of the import dialogue will be "Copy as DNG, Copy, Move, Add" and I would wager you have yours set to 'Add'
Change it to copy and select an appropriate destination on the right.

Then when you import the images will be copied to the appropriate location.

Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

dantheman92 wrote:

Also could someone help me figure out a way to back up my work on the cloud ? I've heard dropbox is good

Dropbox is great for syncing files between devices but there are better options for a pure backup solution.

I use CrashPlan but there are many alternatives.

PS. I also use dropbox for syncing and backup, but not for photos.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593

Jen Yates wrote:

dantheman92 wrote:

You have lightroom set to 'add' the imported images and not 'copy' them. This way lightroom knows about the images but expects them to remain where you left them. IE on the CF card.

At the top of the import dialogue will be "Copy as DNG, Copy, Move, Add" and I would wager you have yours set to 'Add'
Change it to copy and select an appropriate destination on the right.

Then when you import the images will be copied to the appropriate location.

Yep, by default Lightroom leaves your images files wherever they were to begin with.

2esetters
2esetters Senior Member • Posts: 1,978

Thanks !

Is it not better (safer) to delete photos from the card using the camera?

2esetters's gear list:2esetters's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593

2esetters wrote:

Thanks !

Is it not better (safer) to delete photos from the card using the camera?

You misunderstood his problem. He was importing from Lightroom but by default Lightroom will simply refer to the original files. Later, when he goes to work on his images he then finds that he can't when the CF card is not plugged in because Lightroom can not connect to that card and its images.

As for deleting images off of a card it is certainly much easier to do it in a computer environment than from a camera. That said, I always format my SD cards in camera after copying my images before using them again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads