FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions
utomo99 Regular Member • Posts: 368
Mega Pixel race, Zoom Race and then what ?

Mega Pixel race, Zoom Race and then what ?

Fast lens ? This year

Low light race ? so ISO 1600 and 3200 Look good or maybe Candle light photos look good with ISO 200 only ? Maybe it is next year race

let see next year

Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,759
Re: Missed Opportunity ? 20mm - no thanks

AdamT wrote:

I think they`ve missed the opportunity to break ground with the zoom end - WHY have they tried 20mm at the wide ?, 24mm is distorted and software corrected too much in these cameras to begin with , 20mm is more for specialist shooting and lets face it, these kind of cams are telephoto end of the Zoom oriented designs ........

I`d have made it a very safe 28mm at the wide (less CA, distortion and better edges) and gone for a crazy groundbreaking 1680mm long end to really kick butt for Birding and plane spotting (Heck Astrophotography too) - the more popular 24mm option would have given 1440mm of zoom power even ...... OK I know a few here are arging against even 1200mm but the SX50 can be easily handheld at 1200mm with its top notch IS but even slower lens (40th sec is what I managed in Winter when I had one)

Been reading this thread and finally found something I personally agree with. I have both FZ200 and Canon SX50. Believe me, the Canon has an amazing lens and amazing IQ. I wish Pany had started the wide end at 28mm or so and gone for the longer zoom. I will be waiting for the next Canon SX, hoping the camera will be more fully featured with better continuous shooting, Slo Mo HD videos, panorama, etc. I don't see how they can improve much on the lens. It's very special, folks.

Jack

jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: 4 seconds to zoom all the way out? No thanks!

kkardster wrote:

Gary S wrote:

MarioV wrote:

Joms gets off on these reactions.

As always, Don't Feed The Trolls.

I know who Joms is, he likes to antagonize people who don't shoot Fujifilm cameras. They've banned him a couple times here at DPReview. No big deal though. It's fun to make him look silly.

Yep - Joms lives in a fantasy world where you can't get any decent shot unless you have a manual zoom. A world where any camera with a motorized zoom is a toy while those with a manual zoom are tools. In reality, he's the tool.

Obviously, the Fuji doesn't quite deliver or Joms wouldn't need to spend his time over here looking for something better. If the FZ returned to the manual zoom, he'd drop his beloved Fuji like a hot rock.

If Pany will come up with FZ250 with larger sensor, a manual zoom, at least 720mm and as fast as HS50 and of course a brighter lens (not necessarily constant) then I will consider it.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: 4 seconds to zoom all the way out? No thanks!
1

Gary S wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Right before you hit the shutter button, your subject is gone and is laughing at you already.

-=[ Joms ]=-fl

4 seconds. The absolute horror of 4 seconds.

I don't even know if I can go on living now. Especially if I see a bird laughing at me as he leaves.

Good thing I usually keep my zooms at full telephoto when I'm out shooting more distant subjects.

But if I can't zoom it back fast enough to catch a closer subject, that might be totally devastating too. I think that could ruin a whole year for me. Oh my God! What should I do??

Good luck finding that bird on a peephole EVF or LCD with the FL always set to 1200mm.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
kenn threed Contributing Member • Posts: 852
Don't be afraid...

Midwest wrote:
...Super long, slow zooms are nothing more than party tricks. You're not likely to get many - or any - photos that would be worthy other than for how far away the subject was.
...This FZ70 just lumps in with the other ridiculous long super mega zooms.

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

...The real use is photographing things like small birds from as little as 4- 5 meters away from the camera.

Kevin is right of course...
Many who use mega-zooms to shoot birds and other wildlife at reasonable distances already know this. Yet many others will continue to steadfastly proclaim the uselessness of these cameras, ignoring any and all evidence to the contrary...
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1279000
But that's ok. Superzooms aren't for everybody.

The FZ70 is apparently designed to compete with the Nikon P510/20 and Canon SX50, both of which are quite popular with birders (and many other users for a wide variety of applications). How well it will compete remains to be seen, but at least those in this market segment who prefer Panasonic cameras will now have an affordable option for extreme focal-length photography.

Like most new offerings in every category, the FZ70 will be met with a lot of skepticism. But I'll be very surprised if no one gets worthy photos with it.

And I still hope we see a worthy successor to the FZ200 also.

Kenn

-- hide signature --

Kenn & Temple - Backyard Birders in St.Louis, MO USA
http://kenn3d.smugmug.com
http://kenn3d.wordpress.com  [Backyard Birding with Kenn & Temple]

Vandyu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,897
Re: GEEEZZZ, GIVE IT A CHANCE, WILL YA!!!!!

Oh, come on, Ben, where's the fun in that? We're just starting the annual rite of new model bashing. Maybe it's a great camera. Give us a report when you test it out. Maybe there's room for two FZ models--one for the masses and one for the enthusiasts. History has shown, though, that the second-tier/little brother model has been pretty much ignored compared to the flagship version since Panasonic started offering two. Personally, I think it's a confusing strategy that wastes resources.  Panasonic may continue to give us a state of the art model, such as the FZ200, but I'm wondering if they are motivated to do so.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +9 more
Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,880
Re: Don't be afraid...

The FZ70 does sound like a very useful camera, but as with all cameras it has limitations. The main concern being discussed here is the slow max aperture at anything other than wide angle settings. Not a problem if there's plenty of light, or if you use a tripod and aren't shooting a moving subject - and certainly there are times when it will be wonderful. BUT, the constant f2.8 on the FZ200 is great for hand-holding in lower light, and freezing subject movement.

On the other hand, you can't have both: the compromises in lens design necessary for the 20-1200mm range mean you can't have a constant aperture. In fact, it was pretty amazing that Panasonic was able to achieve a constant f2.8 on the 25-600 FZ200.

Solution: buy one of each.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

 Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,478
Re: Don't be afraid...

kenn threed wrote:

Midwest wrote:
...Super long, slow zooms are nothing more than party tricks. You're not likely to get many - or any - photos that would be worthy other than for how far away the subject was.
...This FZ70 just lumps in with the other ridiculous long super mega zooms.

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

...The real use is photographing things like small birds from as little as 4- 5 meters away from the camera.

Kevin is right of course...
Many who use mega-zooms to shoot birds and other wildlife at reasonable distances already know this. Yet many others will continue to steadfastly proclaim the uselessness of these cameras, ignoring any and all evidence to the contrary...
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1279000
But that's ok. Superzooms aren't for everybody.

The FZ70 is apparently designed to compete with the Nikon P510/20 and Canon SX50, both of which are quite popular with birders (and many other users for a wide variety of applications). How well it will compete remains to be seen, but at least those in this market segment who prefer Panasonic cameras will now have an affordable option for extreme focal-length photography.

Like most new offerings in every category, the FZ70 will be met with a lot of skepticism. But I'll be very surprised if no one gets worthy photos with it.

And I still hope we see a worthy successor to the FZ200 also.

Kenn

As a birding photographer who uses my FZ200 frequently on izoom, I couldn't agree more. Long zooms aren't for everybody, but they have their uses and I must confess a little bit of envy creeps in when I see some of the excellent shots taken with the Canon SX50 at 1200mm equivalent, including some in lower light. The criticism of this camera (FZ70) is interesting because it comes from both ends, some saying the 20mm wide angle will be completely useless and others saying the same thing about the 1200mm end. One fact is that no one has seen in image from either end from a production model and another is that Panasonic were way behind the competition with the FZ60. I don't think it sold very well, as there was not a lot of discussion of it on this forum. Now they have a product that will compete very favourably with its competition's products, in fact, going on the paper specs, I would say its a better camera, but real world test will tell and a new Canon will be out in a month or so as well. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, as they have been the dominant super dooper zoom for some time now. I also wonder where these cameras can go from here. Do they produce a zoom that goes to 1500mm, or do they start making improvements in other neglected areas like better viewfinders? I'm assuming the megapixel race will continue ad nauseum. Still waiting on the FZ200's replacement. I'm an optimist.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

 Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,478
Re: GEEEZZZ, GIVE IT A CHANCE, WILL YA!!!!!

Vandyu wrote:

Oh, come on, Ben, where's the fun in that? We're just starting the annual rite of new model bashing. Maybe it's a great camera. Give us a report when you test it out. Maybe there's room for two FZ models--one for the masses and one for the enthusiasts. History has shown, though, that the second-tier/little brother model has been pretty much ignored compared to the flagship version since Panasonic started offering two. Personally, I think it's a confusing strategy that wastes resources. Panasonic may continue to give us a state of the art model, such as the FZ200, but I'm wondering if they are motivated to do so.

The problem with the past 2nd tier models that Panasonic have produced is that they haven't stacked up well against the competition, which has offered bigger zooms and I think, lower prices. Also the FZ60's feature list, wasn't anything special. I like Panasonics (I have had 4 including the FZ200), but when I looked at the FZ60 I couldn't think of a reason I would buy one over say a Canon, which seemed to have it beat in just about every aspect. This new FZ70 is right up there now and is quite possibly better than the opposition, so it gives Panasonic and effective rival to the others in this class. Now waiting for the FZ200's replacement.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

 Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
Holmes375
Holmes375 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,798
Re: 4 seconds to zoom all the way out? No thanks!

jcmarfilph wrote:

If Pany will come up with FZ250 with larger sensor, a manual zoom, at least 720mm and as fast as HS50 and of course a brighter lens (not necessarily constant) then I will consider it.

-=[ Joms ]=-

I can hardly contain my excitement at such a prospect.

-- hide signature --
 Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads