FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,032
FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Well, I don't know what Panasonic was thinking when they announced this monstrosity. I will reserve judgment at this point in time but this bazooka is making the FZ200 look more inviting. What do others think?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,062
Re: FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

John McCormack wrote:

Well, I don't know what Panasonic was thinking when they announced this monstrosity. I will reserve judgment at this point in time but this bazooka is making the FZ200 look more inviting. What do others think?

Well it might satisfy people who wanted wider and longer. Its the FZ60 replacement so not meant to be an FZ200 replacement.

I think I will faint if the FZ250 comes out with a lens like that.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Dim67
Dim67 Contributing Member • Posts: 569

I think stabilization can only do so much. The FZ150/200 at 600mm handheld is doable, at 1020mm people might need to start lugging around heavy tripods again.

Dim67's gear list:Dim67's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,523

Well if the FZ250 (or whatever) still has an f2.8 lens and is able to go as wide as 20mm and to at least the same 600mm (equivalent), I'm sold!

Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

Dim67 wrote:

I think stabilization can only do so much. The FZ150/200 at 600mm handheld is doable, at 1020mm people might need to start lugging around heavy tripods again.

Just have to wait and see, 60x kind of made me laugh though.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Gary S Veteran Member • Posts: 6,185
I like it!

Most of my photography these days is at the long end of the zoom. Surfing, Birding, a little wildlife. 1200mm sounds great. It's just starting to get where I want it because you can't crop these small sensor cameras very much. The more zoom the better! I know Canon had a 1200mm already but I prefer Panasonic when it comes to compact zooms.

I have the Panasonic LT55 for both my FZ200 and FZ150, it just doesn't give me the image quality I want. It's close, but it's not good enough. Not even to satisfy my casual use. I get a little picky on it sometimes.

Now, what I want to know is this. Are they about to announce a higher end version of this camera? I'd welcome better video. They caught my attention today, that's for sure.

Gary S's gear list:Gary S's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,062

Dim67 wrote:

Have you tried the FZ200 with a 1.7 teleconverter and TC mode enabled?  Its F4 but the image is rock solid hand held.  1020mm!

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,115
Don't Overlook the Wide End

20mm at 2.8 will be great.  Not to mention the versatility to go long, add extender, and shoot macro with the close ups.  This beast will be an image creating monster in the right creative hands.  I give it a sewn-on thumbs up.

Ronald A Yorko Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Shoots Raw

Unlike it's predecessor, the FZ60, Raw capability was added to the FZ70.  60X seems nice, but would have to see test shots for lens quality at that length.  $399 is nice, but fixed lcd screen and a low-res EVF.  It all seems like it was made to compete against other bridge cameras.  My only concern with the release of the FZ70 is whether Panasonic will leave it as it's only bridge camera and  give up on a successor to the FZ200.

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
jbwong Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Shoots Raw

FZ200 is much better:-(

GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,432
Re: I am very afraid..,

...that this is the FZ250.  It has a hot shoe.  It's f/2.8 at 20 mm; but what's the f/# at a more useful 28 or 35 mm?

To me it's strictly a "numbers game" camera.  60X and 16 MP.  Should appeal to the mall shoppers.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon SX220 HS Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,582

If FZ250(?):FZ200 = FZ70:FZ60 then I will be extremely impressed.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
AndyW17 Contributing Member • Posts: 781

GeraldW wrote:

...that this is the FZ250. It has a hot shoe. It's f/2.8 at 20 mm; but what's the f/# at a more useful 28 or 35 mm?

To me it's strictly a "numbers game" camera. 60X and 16 MP. Should appeal to the mall shoppers.

I actually think that's not the replacement, but I completely agree with your assessment of the likely buyers.  Those marketing wonks have thought long and hard about their product naming, and while they cannot explain it, they've pretty much been consistent.  This box just seems like a nod to the market that buys based on zoom "x" factor, sort of the current version of megapixel wars. It one-up's Canon.  Whoopee.

It'd be a pretty big step backwards to try to position this as the "upgrade" to the FZ200.

-- hide signature --

Andy

AndyW17's gear list:AndyW17's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

GeraldW wrote:

...that this is the FZ250. It has a hot shoe. It's f/2.8 at 20 mm; but what's the f/# at a more useful 28 or 35 mm?

To me it's strictly a "numbers game" camera. 60X and 16 MP. Should appeal to the mall shoppers.

Maybe. I have noticed recently ( just because I've been on vacation and bored) that even the big stores only carry Cannon, Nikon and maybe some Fuji and an Oly tough. I was looking for an FZ200 and some other cameras to look at but no Pannys at all.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,572

GeraldW wrote:

If you read the announcement, it says clearly that the FZ200 remains in the lineup.

GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,432

The fact that the FZ70 has a hot shoe is what triggered my fears.  The camera body is also large and quite heavy.  So I'm afraid that Panasonic has cut back on their product line, increased the "numbers" for the FZ70 and at an opening price of $400 hopes to sell a lot of them.

LCD is 460k; but the EVF is the same 202k 0.2" that was on the FZ150, FZ60, and the new LF1.

The FZ150 and FZ200 appealed to the enthusiast market; but let's face it - we're a niche market and the price is high.  To make money, they really need to get into the same market as Sony, Nikon, and Canon and the FZ70 looks like the right product for that.

Will they have an "FZ250" for the enthusiast market?  Not if the FZ200 didn't make money for them.  They badly need to beef up the bottom line after losing $8 billion last year.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon SX220 HS Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Paramose
Paramose Regular Member • Posts: 445

No leica Lens

Paramose's gear list:Paramose's gear list
Kodak EasyShare CX6330 Kodak EasyShare P712 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 +16 more
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 14,590

My last bridge camera is the 20x zoom Olympus SP-570UZ, with hot shoe, and the external flash to match. I am keeping it as the last full-featured Olympus bridge camera.

Now I use the 24x zoom Olympus SZ-30MR. With an adapted and push-fitted 1.7x tele-converter I get 1020mm equivalent for moon shots. There is no hot shoe for an external (bounce) flash, but fill-in with the internal flash is very discreet. Sandra is the main critic of my output, and she likes what comes out of the SZ-30MR. Also, it is the first of my digital cameras she does not complain about being SLOW.

So I need some convincing to go back to a bridge camera.

The FZ70 however has the features that I appreciate in the SP-570UZ - AND it does HD video at both 25 and 30 fps, AND I will not need a tele-converter for moon shots. The usefulness of the EVF will depend on the refresh rate (on the SP-570UZ I loose Birds-In-Flight from one scan to the next).

The arrangement of the microphone slots on the FZ70 makes me hope for effective stereo recordings (On the SZ-30MR only the wind comes out in true stereo). 400 stills per charge from the FZ70 is twice what I get now, making battery management much less critical. than it is now.

At 600 grams and a large body it might not come out with me as much as my current P&S. But unlike the Nikon P-520 it does have a hot shoe. The FZ70 also trumps the Canon SX50 by permitting PAL compatible frame rates with both HD and VGA video.

Since my SP-570UZ is now mostly in the role of a collector's piece, an up-to-date bridge camera in the shape of the FZ70 looks actually quite attractive.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
offtheback
offtheback Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

The megapixel race has given way to the zoom! race.

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,577
Re: You are very afraid ... => hogwash!

What good do you get out of harboring such absurd, negative expectations?

Hang in there, man. It'll all come out all right.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 VA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads