Filters..how frequently do you guys use them?

Started Jul 15, 2013 | Discussions
OP SkywalkerR2D2 Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: Filters..how frequently do you guys use them?

very interesting perspectives. Thanks a lot for your all of you

SkywalkerR2D2's gear list:SkywalkerR2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,322

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

In my case, I have screw on lens hoods that match some of my filters, so that when using step-down rings I can still use a hood.

Daisy, Screw-on hoods is something I have been meaning to look into. But thus I haven't had any problems with just snapping the hood on after adjusting the CPL. I know OP who have the screw-on hoods and it sounds like a time-saver.

Susan

Screw-on hoods won't necessarily have the correct shape & size to properly protect the lens from flare.  If they're the soft rubber collapsible type, they won't protect from a bump or fall.

Mark

Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460
More on hoods...

Mark B. wrote:

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

In my case, I have screw on lens hoods that match some of my filters, so that when using step-down rings I can still use a hood.

Daisy, Screw-on hoods is something I have been meaning to look into. But thus I haven't had any problems with just snapping the hood on after adjusting the CPL. I know OP who have the screw-on hoods and it sounds like a time-saver.

Susan

Screw-on hoods won't necessarily have the correct shape & size to properly protect the lens from flare.  If they're the soft rubber collapsible type, they won't protect from a bump or fall.

Quite so. Also.....

Oversize lens hoods, big enough to fit over the larger filter, will not be so efficient as the normal hood, unless they are also proportionately DEEPER. Be aware that it is particularly important to have an efficient hood when using any filter, because of the increased risk of flare.

It is also as well to note that the most efficient hoods mask the incoming light close to the image frame, and therefore show a rectangular 'window' to the lens, (example: petal type hoods)...

....  and this type of hood must therefore not ROTATE in use, for instance, on the pola filter.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,248

SkywalkerR2D2 wrote:

How frequently do you guys use the CPL, ND, UV filters? are they really worth buying?

Very frequently. A polariser enhances colours and blue sky in every shot taken in sunny weather. NDs are invaluable in contrasty scenes with a flat horizon, to prevent that nasty overexposed sky, which to much digital trickery and after-shot work (the HDR of the lazy). And I discover anew all the time the creative possibilities of my Cokin Blue-yellow polariser.

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,083

SkywalkerR2D2 wrote:

How frequently do you guys use the CPL

I bring this if I plan to shoot anywhere were there may be some reflections, also sometimes it makes an empty sky more dramatic.

, ND

If you are going to shoot moving water this is really useful as an option to blur.

, UV filters? are they really worth buying?

I pretty much never use UV filters, unless I am going somewhere with a lot of water spray (especially a small boat on the ocean).  The UV filters are easier to quickly wipe clean.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
GreenMountainGirl Contributing Member • Posts: 684

Mark B. wrote:

Screw-on hoods won't necessarily have the correct shape & size to properly protect the lens from flare. If they're the soft rubber collapsible type, they won't protect from a bump or fall.

Thanks Mark.  Good to know.  Since I am actually pretty content with snapping the hood on after adjusting the CPL, guess I will just stay with what I have!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,341

I am of a similar opinion. I had a UV for my walkaround lenses, and took it off, after seeing the difference in contrast with and without it. I could use a CPL for my landscapes though.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 4,678
If there's no "problem" then don't use a filter

Doug Pardee wrote:

For some specific kinds of photography, specific filters can be useful. But if your photography interests lie elsewhere, filters are a waste of money.

Doug is 100% correct.

Here's a basic way to look at filter usage.  Use a filter to solve a problem.  Reduce glare indoor and outdoors, etc.. (Circular polarizer), enable you to reduce your shutter speed by a large margin or compensate for high power studio strobes that can't be turned down any lower when you can't compensate for the high power using shutter speed or aperture (ND filters)... shooting mud wrestling and don't have enough time to clean mud spattered lenses because it's quicker just to remove the premium clear filter (UV is pretty much worthless), etc., and so on...

There are countless more reasons why to use a filter to solve an actual problem OR to create a particular affect - and if you're photography does not require you to use a filter, save your money and put it towards a hand held light meter or something far more useful than a wasted piece of glass in front of your lens.  

Best in photography to everyone

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads